From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brandon Warren)
Subject: using RH kernel in Mandrake distribution
Date: 31 Aug 1999 06:11:25 GMT

Is there anything at all wrong with using the
Red Hat 2.2.5-22 kernel with my Mandrake 6.0
system?

When I upgraded from 2.2.9-19mdk to 2.2.9-27mdk,
I could no longer get Tripwire 2.0 to run. (I got
Tripwire 2.0 running by making it use the RH 5.2
/lib files.)

I then tried installing the RH 2.2.5-22 kernel, and
Tripwire runs fine with it.  Am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,

Brandon

P.S. The reason I tried the 2.2.5-22 kernel, is that I
thought it would have the security patch that
2.2.9-27mdk has, because they are both the updated kernels
for Red Hat 6.0 and Mandrake 6.0, respectively.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: visacalc for linux/unix or freeware clone?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:21:27 -0400

On 30 Aug 1999 22:39:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>am so used to Dynacalc and Visacalc's help system that I am totally
>
>How about a spreadsheet that operates similarly to Lotus 123?  Try:
>http://home.t-online.de/home/Axel_Reinhold
>
>Look for Macrocalc.  There are various binary-only downloads available.
>Appears to be free for Linux users - check page to be sure...
        thanks for the tip! I looked at SC ver 6.1 that came with
slackware 3.5 again and this time I was able to figure it out! I also
tried TEAPOT, which also seems to work well. Teapot's raw ascii
worksheet files look similar to those produced by dynacalc under os9.
Although I don't know if on Dynacalc I should save it as ascii by rows
or columns to import that data.
        It turns out SC has a little pal. its job is to take tables of
data and convert the results into a Sc compatibble data file. I did a
TAR archive listing that way for the heck of it. was able to calculate
the raw size of the files in the archive by adding something like a
@sum(c1:c8) which resulted in a size total of the files.
        Next step is to plug my Coco3 into my Linux box and using rzsz
after saving a budget template (actually a dataset) as ascii and then
transfer it to linux.
        I avoid shareware after getting burned in the dos world by it.
if it aint got source code I can compile/hack. I don't dload!
        That allows me to get away for the glib2 and the libc5 wars. I
use only libc5 here ver 5.46 under slackware 3.9. which I am
considering downgrading to 3.5 as I am running out of ROOM and it
seems slower than even my slackware 3.1 (I used 3.1 for YEARS and
loved it).
        Actually that brings up a related question I will mention in
my next post here.

--
                A pearl of wisdom from the y2K newsgroups:
Y2K appears to be the Baby Boomers mid-life crisis, and it has the

                        B'ichela
                        N O T E
                ---------------------
If [EMAIL PROTECTED] don't work try [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= T Johansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory leak in kernel 2.2.x?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:08:25 +0200

Hi.

I have now tried both kernel 2.2.11 and 2.2.12 and both seems to be
having a memory leak. Is this correct? And if so, how do I fix it?
When running top, I can't see any program that are using so much memory
that free reports as used. And after the system has been up and running
for a day or so, the a lot of messages get printed on the console
telling me that the system is out of memory and the only thing left to
do is to reset the computer and boot.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Regards,

BTJ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:21:59 GMT

On 28 Aug 1999 22:15:54 -0400, Collin W. Hitchcock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
>Christopher Browne wrote:
>> DCOM is an obvious "force" that must be resisted.
>
>Or coopted, a la Samba.  I should think a Linux port of something
>proprietary like this would make it easier to reverse engineer on both
>the technical and legal fronts.  You can sniff the protocols by adding
>code to the Linux side of the DCOM/Linux interface.  Microsoft can't
>make legal trouble because you're allowed to modify Linux.

There's danger in both directions...

--> There are rumblings that Windows 2000 supports "multiple file
    forks" that parallels the Mac notion of "resource forks," which
    supplies the danger that SAMBA may be compatible with "old SMB,"
    but not with "new SMB."  (I'm sure Jeremy Allison can provide a
    better explanation of this...)

    This is, of course, a sword that can cut on both sides; it could
    injure SAMBA, if it makes it necessary to add in weird APIs.

    Alternatively, it could make Win2K less stable, and less
    interoperable with "old Windows," thereby making it easier for
    people to decide to migrate away from WinTel.

>Even if DCOM can't be coopted, it's good to have it running on Linux.
>If a significant number of people move to Linux from Windows because
>DCOM is available, this is a good thing -- Even Linux apps which don't
>use DCOM are bolstered by the larger user base. Trying to wean Linux
>DCOM users to open protocols is a lot easier than trying to convince
>Windows users to switch to Linux.

--> As you say, it is possible that some reverse engineering could
    take place with DCOM.

    Unfortunately, if you look at what they have supplied, all of DCOM
    that is available on Linux is some portion of the "server side;"
    it doesn't support any of the GUI side, as you *obviously* don't
    have Win32 on Linux.

Realistically, all that the DCOM availability provides is:
a) Some form of sales claim that "sure, we support UNIX; you can get
DCOM!"

b) The ability to have some unimportant server code run on Linux,
whereas client software has to run on Win32.

>A fox caught in a snare will knaw off its own leg to escape.
>Microsoft is the fox.  The Linux community set the snare.  The two of
>you are complaining that the fox got away.

No, DCOM *has* had some success in what it was intended to provide...

DCOM is pretty clearly intended to provide a MSFT-proprietary
alternative to CORBA.

Every time people deploy applications on DCOM rather than CORBA, MSFT
"wins."
--
"Using Java as a general purpose application development language is like
going big game hunting armed with Nerf weapons." -- Author Unknown

------------------------------

From: Nick Danger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Realplayer G2 for RH6.0
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 05:02:19 +0000

http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

------------------------------

From: "¥ The _Veracity ¥" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: where do I learn...
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:11:46 -0700

please some one tell me the secret to linux.......or tell me what is a good
book to read about doing the router thing and proxy thing and stuff like
that with linux unix or any other *nix system...thanks I need some light
reading and don't really want to spend the next ten years deciphering thing
system...thanks..larry

------------------------------

From: "VM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:39:20 +0800

Anyone can instruct me how to get screenshots
while installing Linux(RH6.0) into my PC?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: procreation and Choice
Date: 31 Aug 1999 07:41:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ketil Z Malde  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz) writes:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Yury Donskoy  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> No, they should abstain from having mindless sex, where no one cares what the
>
>> What the fuck is your problem asshole that you'd deny the poorest
>
>Well, that would take care of the problem with unwanted children, I
>suppose.

Too bad high schools don't teach it in sex ed, eh?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 23:14:24 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 30 Aug 1999 07:48:28 -0700, Don Waugaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I'll agree that it's possible to use templates without references, but
>>much of the power of templates comes from argument deduction, which
>>would be a rather painful process without the use of references.
>
>Template argument deduction is done by the compiler and works over pointers as
>well as references.  So I don't see where the pain comes in.
>
>E.g.
>
>    template <type T> void foo(T *) { /*...*/ }
>
>    int *p;
>    //...
>    foo(p);            /* foo<int *> deduced */

Deduction does work with pointers.

However, pointers are a poor way to pass items into value-based containers.

>>containters/iterators/algorithms libraries are incredibly powerful, but
>>would become rather painful to use without references.
>
>Why is that? Because you have to type -> instead of . and use * from time to
>time? Good reminders that the container holds pointers to the objects,
>rather than copies of objects.

Containers - at least the containers in the C++ Standard Library - do hold
copies of objects, though the objects held in the objects in question can
themselves be pointers (and, in my code, often are).
--
    - Don Waugaman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. Klungle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Load Average - 1.00 all the time since 2.2.12 kernel
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:51:36 GMT

Mark Moran wrote:

> Since installing the 2.2.12 kernel (upgrade from 2.2.10) uptime or top
> report a minimum of 1.00 for a load average.   'CPU states are low,
> eg., 0.9% or so for both user and system.  Do I need to upgrade
> top/uptime or something up???
>
> Mark

Mark,

FWIW, I am running a dual SMP 2.2.6 system. I also get somethig similar:
  9:47am  up 12 days, 18:13,  6 users,  load average: 1.06,  1.02, 1.00

I think the important thing is the CPU states, not the load average
In my case I am running setiathome on one CPU, nice -19, giving 49.8
percent
on one and 49.3 percent idle.

cheers...bob

------------------------------

From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migrate SCSI to IDE
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:35:34 +0200

You can copy the complete drive either with mc or a recursive copy,
or with dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/hda this is a good way.
When this drive has been copied make sure you confiure your fstab and
your lilo.conf and run lilo.
This should do the trick. But be carefull, make sure you have a boot
disk incase something might go wrong, that you can mount de /dev/hda (or
whatever) to the disk and edit somefiles.
restarting the system.

A restore is also a possibility. You can restore the software that you
need and leave system files alone.  But configuring a system is the mosy
work, so a dd will be the best choice.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: Timo Tossavainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:37:53 +0300

Don Waugaman wrote:

> I might add that a suitable compiler design would be to check for NULL or
> otherwise illegal pointers when they are dereferenced, which would mean
> that incorrect dereferencing happens in the caller code rather than the
> called code, thus moving the effect of the error closer to the site of the
> error.

C++ers usually miss the point of that Lispers and Smalltalkers have known for
some time. I think there's a "market" for a GPL'd C++ interpreter that checks
the code for array bounds, invalid casts, pointer dereferencing,  memory
deallocation, etc. all the stuff that C++ doesn't check at run-time. The
interpreter could be used to debug the code and then it could be compiled when
there's reasonable evidence that it is acceptably bugless. Also the environment
should support adding and fixing functions/classes as the program is running
(i.e. no edit-compile-debug-cycle). This would reap many of the benefits of the
dynamic language environments in terms of development speed. It's weird that
even the leading compiler vendors have missed the option of using interpretation
during development.

Timo

------------------------------

From: Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Aug 1999 09:37:56 +0200

Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Chris Mahmood wrote:
> >
> > Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > It's possible. There is ample evidence that Microsoft is capable of
> > > unknowingly (unthinkingly?) creating security hazards in the software
> > > they distribute. One need not infer any malice on their part.
> > Normally, I'd agree with you.  But they are *so* incompetent that it's
> > fishy.  Certainly "security fixes" are the best way to force users
> > to upgrade.
>
> If security flaws were the only deficiencies in MS software I'd agree
> with you. But MS OSes are flawed by both design and implementation in
> other ways.

Or,as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would put it:

    `In other words -- and this is the rock solid principle on which the
whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded -- their
fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design
flaws.'

Greetings,

Stephan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Can't connect to the internet!
Date: 31 Aug 1999 04:10:26 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:27:23 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] muttered:
>Hi, I am new here, this is my first visit!  There's some problems I
>encounter and I would appreciate if anyone can help.
>
>I just install Red Hat 6.0 in my 420M harddisk (removable).  I've hanged
>around with it for a few nights seeking the way to connect to the internet.
>After I configured Kppp in KDE, finally I got connected.  I'm excited.
>
>But when I get a larger harddisk, I installed everything (using the
>everything option in RH6.0) to this 1.2 G harddisk. But when I tried to
>configure Kppp the same way as I done in the old harddisk, I cannot connect
>successfully.  The modem just hanged up and redial when the connection went
>to "Logging on to network....".  I've setup the same way in Network Setup,
>Modem Setup, etc.?
>
>Haven't I miss something, any suggestions?
>
>Thanks a lot!

You might want to look at your /var/log/messages file. I'm not familiar
with kppp (I use a pppd/chat script), my ppp connection information is
logged there. I'd also suggest cross-referencing any errors found with a
Deja News search in the linux newsgroups. More can be found at
www.dejanews.com.

Also take a look at the ISP-HOOKUP HOWTO in /usr/doc if you want an
alternative to kppp.

 --
-]        Michael Proto        [-
-] j e l l y d o n u t . o r g [-

------------------------------

From: MonkeyChild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Action Sound AD1812 base sound card
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:31:02 GMT

Help!!!
This card sucks. No one supports it!!

Does any body know know how to set one of these cards up to work under
Linux. I am using S.u.S.E. 6.1 and am running OSS. The best i can get is
average performance with crackels in sound and an error message on start
that one or more devices have fail to start.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: This is probably a simple one :)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:21:09 -0400

Davis Eric wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Vincent Padua wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm not looking for the specific answer, however, I'm curious about
> > > what's broken here and then i'll hunt it down how to fix it.  :)
> I'm
> > > trying to learn!
> > >
> > > Okay, I've got RH 6.0 on my box.  I telnet into a bsdi box (4.0.1)
> and
> > > then try to open an xterm from there and i get this error:
> >
> > First, don't telnet to the other box.  Use rsh, rlogin, or better yet,
> > disable all those and get SSH.  Future reference, GET SSH.  Okay onto
> > your problem.
> >

> > > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for foo.bar.com
> > > xterm Xt error: Can't open display: foo.bar.com:0.0
> > >
> > > So i thought maybe it was the xhost stuff, so I completely disabled
> > > anyform of authentication:
> > >
> > > xhost +
> >
> > That's fine and dandy, you've done half of the steps :)
> >
> > Now, in the window you have your OTHER box on, type
> >
> > DISPLAY=<hostname>:0
> >
> > Change the hostname to whatever box you're sitting at.
> >

> I have also met this problem when I dialed up to my ISP from home and
> then telnet to the server in my department. I didin't try DISPLAY=...
> stuff. Myabe that is the reason.

Probably.  When you go to do something from your dialup, use the IP
address in 'ifconfig' for your ppp0.

> Maybe it is a stupid question, but can anybody tell me why not use
> telnet but rsh? Is there any crutial difference between theses two?

Personally, I've got all of them disabled and use ssh exclusively.  If
you rsh or telnet, you send logon names and passwords in the clear and
anyone with a sniffer can see them as plain text.  You can send X
displays to another box through ssh as well.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.install
Subject: Re: PCI Modem Problems
Date: 31 Aug 1999 04:50:10 GMT

In article <7qct6d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Sethuraman Baranidharan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ok, I have a Lucent PCI modem 56K v.90 and I know it may not work, but keep hearing
>that some of them do.
[...]
>Any suggestions?  Would help if you give a step by step instruction on
>how to set the modem up. Pl avoid the default answer "go get another modem"!

But "go get another modem" is the correct answer. :-) What you have (lemme
guess...it was preinstalled in a new computer) is a Winmodem.  I would
suggest taking it to the nearest target range, putting a few rounds of your
favorite ammo through it, and getting a real modem.

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at (yo no quiero spam) delphi dot com)
 \_^_/  http://people.delphi.com/salfter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:38:52 -0400
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: is there a HOWTO about upgrading a Linux kernel?

So, if my /etc/lilo.conf currently has a linux kernel (invoked with "l")
and windows (invoked with "d") - what is a redhat UPDATE going to do?
Is it going to create a third entry named linux?  with the new kernel?

What does the update do as far as preserving the other 'paragraphs' in
lilo.conf.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is why RH 6.0 really sucks!
Date: 31 Aug 1999 10:11:31 +0200

Ferdinand V. Mendoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Agree. The reason is that with kppp properly configured for the correctnameservers
>and the domain name, it will fed this information to
>the empty resolv.conf file -if there is one, once you start dialing to your
>ISP via kppp.Just try,
>
>$ less /etc/resolv.conf
>
>when you start to dial using kppp
>and you'll see what I mean.

As kppp is not part of what Redhat is responsible for, Redhat should not
be blamed for kppp requiring an ampty resolv.conf.

Villy