  Anti-virus software and Firewall for Linux (Stearns25)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Optimal Linux RAID Support? Questions.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:46:55 GMT

   Hello, I am in the process of configuring and setting up some Linux
servers for my company, two of which will have their own RAID (~50gb and
~250gb respectively).  I have been using only SCSI devices for years but
the new EIDE (e.g., Ultra ATA/66) drives/cards look acceptable and given
its drastic cost difference, it seems like a very attractive option for
RAID structures.  SCSI is out of the question due to cost, so I will be
using Ultra ATA/66 drives.

   The two servers that I will be putting a RAID into have two different
uses, the 50gb one is used for the main fileserver and thus needs
redundancy (RAID 5), the 250gb one will only be used as a temporary
storage RAID and redundancy is not important (RAID 0), except maybe to
keep the RAID functional if a drive goes down, but no backups will be
kept and data being lost is not a concern so getting more space out if
this RAID is more important.

   The question is this... software or hardware based RAID?  And what
are the hardware requirements?

   Hardware - I have heard that the FastTrak66 card is good, however it
has a 4 drive limitation (and im not sure of the throughput of 4
drives would be any higher than 2), so I cant use it for the large RAID
(at least not as a stand alone device), and apparently has no support
for RAID 5 which is what i'd like to use for at least the main file
server.  Is this the only option for an EIDE hardware based RAID
controller?

   Software: I am not sure how much the EIDE bus issues have changed, I
know the drive being used still needs to take control of the bus, but
are the latency issues in switching between two drives on the same bus
as bad as it used to be?  Would getting multiple EIDE cards/busses, one
for each drive so it has its own dedicated bus, create a significant
performance boost with software RAID?  For example, I could get 4
dual-EIDE bus cards and have a total of 8 disks.  How about the
Linux EIDE controller drivers what kind of load will that create?  Which
chipset is best?  What kind of system will I need to be able to manage
this RAID and the 100base network mounts using it?  I dont plan on using
the fileservers for anything other than the RAID, servicing the network
mounts and backup (only on the main server).

   I dont have the money to just buy all the drives I need and various
cards and benchmarking the various configurations (and have not yet
found anyone or site that has), also what drives I get depends on the
card/configuration.

   Ultimately i'd like to get the most throughput as possible while
keeping the cost down.  However I am unclear on the performance details
regarding EIDE and Linux RAID.  If anyone could help out that would be
greatly appreciated!

   Thanks!

Introvert

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hardware compression with DAT drive?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:50:40 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> WHen I use a Solaris box at work I can get HW compression
> from a 4mm DAT drive using a different tape device.  How
> does one do this under linux?  I just got a 4mm drive at
> a flea market and am experimenting with it.

I think you use the "mt" command to enable hardware
compression before running tar.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster 16 PNP in RH6
Date: 31 Aug 1999 10:38:23 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:11:44 GMT, Chris Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Hi,
>I have the following setup:
>
>Red Hat 6.0 (Hedwig) from CheapBytes
>SoundBlaster 16 PNP sound card.
>
>NOTE: Don't bother using sndconfig with this card, it's broke.
>
>This is what I did to get it to work.
>
>1. I got my values from Windows98. It was setting up the card at:
>INT0 IRQ5
>DMA 0 Channel 1
>DMA 1 Channel 5
>IO 0 Base 0x220
>IO 1 Base 0x330
>IO 2 Base 0x388

Hi.  I got my settings like you did, but I ran sndconfig --noautoconfig
and put the numbers in manually, because otherwise my device was not
found.  I'm on RH5.2.

------------------------------

From: Clemens Nijhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,info.ncsa-telnet,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.pc,alt.os.linux,comp.protocols.ppp,comp.modems,linuxworld.forums.articles.1999-08-linmodem
Subject: Re: I've got a PCI Winmodem...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 06:42:43 -0400

Get yourself a nice high speed external modem, you will love it for
anything you install on your PC

-Clem

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F. Heitkamp)
Date: 31 Aug 1999 10:58:40 GMT

In message <uWFy3.6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - "Warren Rodie"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>You might want to look at the "mt" command.

OK.

>Also some drives have jumpers to set whether the compression is on,
>useful if you want compression on all the time.

I don't want the compression on all the time.

Mine has a jumper that turns the compression on or off.  The manual
also says that issuing the proper mode select command over the scsi
bus will turn the compression on or off regardless of the jumper
setting.

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Memory leak in kernel 2.2.x?
Date: 31 Aug 1999 10:55:06 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:08:25 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

 >I have now tried both kernel 2.2.11 and 2.2.12 and both seems to be
 >having a memory leak. Is this correct?
 >When running top, I can't see any program that are using so much memory
 >that free reports as used. And after the system has been up and running
 >for a day or so, the a lot of messages get printed on the console
 >telling me that the system is out of memory and the only thing left to
 >do is to reset the computer and boot.

2.2.11 does have a "nasty" memory leak in some configurations,
but this is supposed to have been fixed in 2.2.12.  Are you sure
it's the kernel that's responsible?

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ross Roberts)
Subject: Kernel panic 'skput over,' 2.2.12
Date: 31 Aug 1999 07:14:54 -0400

Having some problems with a 2.2.12 kernel I've built in the last few days.
Last night it kernel paniced for the second time in 12 hours. The first
panic, I could not see the msg as it scrolled off the screen trailing some
garbage. The second one was sitting at the console when I came in this AM:

Kernel panic: skput: over: c01b2c0d: 287 put: 287 dev: eth0
In swapper task- not syncing

I looked up the address in my System.map file and it lists 't
boomerang_rx' at addr c01b29cc, 't vortex_close' at c01b2dac. This machine
has two 3Com 3C905-TX ethernet cards, both running at 100Mbit/sec.
This box acts as a gateway between our two IP subnets and runs a sendmail
server for aliasing/queueing. Yesterday's panic happened under semi-major
load (multi-node pc backup across the subnets). Last night, the load
should have been relatively light.. 2-3 users and perhaps some Quake2
traffic. Other box particulars are:

AMD K5/133 (believe that's the right speed)
Generic Intel PCISet motherboard (circa '95)
64Mb RAM
kernel compiled with gcc2.7.2.3
Slackware v4.0 dist.
Vortex drivers are NOT modules
Compiled with 'optimize as router not host'
No firewalling/masquerade stuff compiled in.

I've backed off to my last working kernel (2.2.11) for now, which I know is
supposed to have some problems in the TCP/IP stack. What's the last known
GOOD stable 2.2.x kernel? (didn't 2.0.(8 || 10) have some stability problems
too?)

Let me know if I can offer any other info. Thanks for any help.

-r

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 05:17:05 -0600

In article <7qf7u1$crq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Kenny A. Chaffin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > If you don't have anthing constructive to add the just shut up.
> > I don't understand why it is some people feel they need to abuse
> > others. I guess it builds up their small egos or something....
>
> Heh, that's ironic because the reason I got into this thread was
> because you'd been abusive to the original responder.
>
> Anyway, grow some balls. Wuss.
>
> --
> Scott Lanning: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://physics.bu.edu/~slanning
> "If there were gods, how could I bear to be no god?
> Consequently there are no gods." --Nietzsche

The original responser was the jerk -- that's what started it. So go gnaw
on your own balls. Idiot.

KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is MS *.asf format supported?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:15:28 +1000

Beat Rupp wrote:

> I have a decent movie in asf format here and unfortulately it only
> works with windows netshow player. Any suggestions to get that running
> in Linux?

ASF is a proprietary Microsoft format. Until somebody reverse
engineers it you're not going to get support under Linux.

Erik
     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
With 22,100,000 legitimate businesses in the US alone,
allowing each to send only one UCE per *year* gets every
mailbox 60,547 emails per day. There will either be email
without UCE or there will be no email.

------------------------------

From: "Marout Yasuo Borms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Difficulties with SCSI disk drive. (Zero Partition)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:20:49 +0200

try wether id's and termination is ok. adaptec controllers are known for
their erratic behaviour with poor or incorrect termination.
als see weter there is no fork construction in the cable (eg: both wide and
narrow connectors on controller used internally and extetrnal devices
present. If there are devices on both the internal connectors, then disable
low-termination.
maybe faulty cabling is the cause.... try replacing the cable.

most of my scsi trobles are one of these.

als disable scan (scsi config automagically) as this protocol leads to
trouble also. just be shure that only the devices at cable ends are
terminated.

Lyndon F. Bartels heeft geschreven in bericht
<7qfv5b$3a1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver.
Date: 31 Aug 1999 11:21:53 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:25:57, "CHamel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >I am about to download Real Player 5 for my Caldera
> >Open Linux 2.2 box and find that there are three possible
> >linux versions listed at the Real Player download site.

> Personally, I have had no luck with *any* of them -- not even the G2 Alpha!
> Real.com's support people have tried helping me and finally sent me a msg
> stating that Caldera is causing them fits!  They're trying to get something
> figured out, though, so I hear.

Oh brother.  Same happened here.  But What causes me concern is that as
more companies start "packaging" Linux it will become more difficult to
port these freebie apps like RealAudio and so on.

Now IBM is going to start working with Red Hat and personally after
seeing the way they've botched OS/2 for end users I'm not real happy
about that.

                      email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: linux and Novell
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:31:02 GMT

I am useing SuSe linux ver. 6.1 trying to configurate the network using
Yast bat the network base configuration is inaccessible what shuld I do to
solve the problem

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Mattias Dahlberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Screenshots of Mandrake's new graphical installation
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:56:10 +0200

If look at:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/images/panoramix/

you will find screenshots of Mandrake's new graphical installation, called
Panoramix. I personally think it's a great idea, but I guess they need some
help with the layout. What do you think?

It's supposed to be open source, so any artistically talented people out
there: Why not give them a hand?

Matt

------------------------------

From: Linux Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: Alert: AMD K6-2 350 Mhz processor
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:51:26 GMT

> Rob Mason wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced a system freeze with this processor on
RH6.0
> > ???
> >
> > Since upgrading my machine I have been trying to fathom problems
where
> > my system locks up - no error message, nothing.  This usually occurs
> > during X sessions when I'm performing a large disk operation
(copying a
> > 70 Meg file).
> >
> > I've seen other similar reports, and this processor seems to be the
> > common factor.
>
> On the contrary - I've seen a ton o' posts talking about
> good response / experience with the K6-2/350.  With the
> newer, faster CPUs the timing of the mobo, bus and memory is
> much more critical.  You might want to confirm the speed of
> your memory.  That seems to be where most of the lockups
> that have been reported seemed to have come from.  FWIW.
>
> Bill
I've had problems with memory timing in a K6-233Mhz (32 meg 60ns and 65
mes 50ns). As soon I removed the older, slower memory (I've kept only 64
megs) the problem disapeared. But in my case i had no freezes, but sig
11.

Check your box to make sure its well refrigerated. Sometimes a defective
or suddimensioned cooler may cause the CPU to overheat.

--
"If you can't find on the 'Net...
 ... it doesn't exist."

From: Zeger Hendrikse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Difference 'waitpid' Solaris and Linux
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:09:50 +0200

Hello All,

I have a portability question:

On Solaris, the waitpid syscall has as a WNOWAIT
option (in addition to WUNTRACED and WNOHANG): the
waitpid syscall keeps the child in a waitable state, so
the same child may be waited for once more. On Linux
the waitpid syscall misses this option. Does anyone know
of a work-around?

Many thanks in advance,
--
Zeger Hendrikse
http://www.wins.uva.nl/~zegerh

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stearns25)
Subject: Anti-virus software and Firewall for Linux
Date: 31 Aug 1999 12:16:42 GMT

Hello,

I am looking for quality (or better, commercial) anti-virus software and
firewall for my Linux (RH 6 and TurboLinux) servers.  Can anyone name a few?

Also, any comments on the Squid Proxy server?

Many thanks.

-al