  Re: VMWare Video, Sound and Modem Drivers ? (Ton Nijkes)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?)
Date: 1 Sep 1999 02:36:06 -0500

  [Chris Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> > Once optimized once, it's harder to optimize the code again.
[Stephen E. Halpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> If this werent true, all processes would converge to O(1), and all
> data sets would compress to a single bit.

Heh, this reminds me of an article in JIR[1] back in 1993 about a great
new data compression algorithm.  Basically, you take the data, view it
as binary, throw away the 0's as containing no information, count the
1's you have left, express *that* as binary and repeat -- until you're
down to a single 1.  Reportedly they were still working on the
decompression algorithm.

[1] The Journal of Irreproducible Results, a spoof of a scientific
    research journal, published at MIT.  I have no idea if they're
    still around.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: henk van der knaap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: neighbor table overflow
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:38:14 +1200

Dear Readers,

I run Slackware 4.0 on an old 486DX machine with 16meg of ram. At the end
of the booting up messages I get the following error message:

neighbor table overflow

It does not seem to cause any problems. By the way, I am using the 2.2.9
kernel.

Does anybody know what this message means. I looked through the archives
of Usenet, but I did not find anything that gives me a clue.

Many thanks

Henk

Henk van der Knaap,
92 Halswell Junction Road,
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Phone/fax 64 3 3229185

My Operating system is Linux
My e-mail address is as follows:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Brian Cash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: home directory as root for users
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:25:58 -0600

DanH wrote...

>It sounds like you want a restricted shell.  Users cannot change their
>directory (cd <another directory> doesn't work), cannot change their
>environment etc.
>
>Look up restricted shell and keep your file system intact.  It'd be
>murder to keep up with multiple versions of everything.

Thanks for responding Dan,  as I said, brute force experimentation...    Any
ideas where I would find a restricted shell for Linux?  The functionality
does not appear to be built-in.   I've tried searching for it at a few
"comprehensive" linux sites, but no luck.  More leads or specifics?   Thanks
in advance.

- Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alain DELVAL)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc
Subject: send a voice message from Unix or windows
Date: 1 Sep 1999 07:54:14 GMT

Hi every body

I am looking for a software to send voice messages on a telephone
I would like to use this tool for windows 95-98-NT or
UNIX systems from commands files or from any software that can
execute externals commands

Thanks a lot ans have a good day

------------------------------

From: Ben Vince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a way to mount a samba share as a directory?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 08:31:04 GMT

I've eventually got samba working in my machine and i have now got my network drives
(on windows 98) mounted in Linux. To do this find the name of the computer which has
the drives you want to mount (i'll call it parasite). And you now have 2 options:

*   Add it into the /etc/fstab file

or

*   Just mount it from the command line.

OPTION 1
===========

edit the etc/fstab file (within emacs)
and add the following line:

\\\\parasite\\c   \mnt\network\c   smbfs   user,no auto   0 0

NOTE: You must change your computer name and shared resource with \\\\parasite\\c (you
can view them by typing smbclient -L <name of computer>. You must also make sure that
your mount point (\mnt\network\c) is also made. Just create a directory for this. Then
to start the mount just type at the command prompt:

mount \mnt\network\c (or what ever your mount point is.)

OPTION 2
===========

to start a mount from the command prompt without having to change the /etc/fstab file,
type the following:

mount \\\\<computername>\\<shared resource> -t smbfs /<mount point>.

See above for more info, if you need any other help email me:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I hope this is of help to you.

Regards,

Ben Vince

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

From: Mathias Grimmberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:49:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:
> On 28 Aug 1999 22:15:54 -0400, Collin W. Hitchcock
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
> >Christopher Browne wrote:
> >> DCOM is an obvious "force" that must be resisted.
> >
> >Or coopted, a la Samba.  I should think a Linux port of something
> >proprietary like this would make it easier to reverse engineer on both
> >the technical and legal fronts.  You can sniff the protocols by adding
> >code to the Linux side of the DCOM/Linux interface.  Microsoft can't
> >make legal trouble because you're allowed to modify Linux.
>
> There's danger in both directions...
>
> --> There are rumblings that Windows 2000 supports "multiple file
>     forks" that parallels the Mac notion of "resource forks," which

Actually this is pretty old stuff. NTFS has supported alternate data
streams since version 3.1. To play with them you could try:

C:\TEMP>echo default > file.txt

C:\TEMP>echo alternate > file.txt:alternate

C:\TEMP>dir file.txt
[M-x snip]
31.08.99  22:18                     10 file.txt
               1 Datei(en)             10 Bytes
                            676.115.968 Bytes frei

C:\TEMP>more < file.txt
default

C:\TEMP>more < file.txt:alternate
alternate

The only thing new is that MS is planning to use this for OLE structured
storage or something. A rather dumb idea if you ask me - not all the
world is using NT and this will be true for some time to come.

>     supplies the danger that SAMBA may be compatible with "old SMB,"
>     but not with "new SMB."  (I'm sure Jeremy Allison can provide a
>     better explanation of this...)
>
>     This is, of course, a sword that can cut on both sides; it could
>     injure SAMBA, if it makes it necessary to add in weird APIs.
>
>     Alternatively, it could make Win2K less stable, and less
>     interoperable with "old Windows," thereby making it easier for
>     people to decide to migrate away from WinTel.

The stability thing won't happen as it is old stuff. OTOH the actual
implementation and integration with the rest of the system sucks badly
on NT up to version 4. For instance 'dir' won't display the true file
size but only the size of the default data stream (Explorer and File
Manager do the same). There is no way to find out whether there are
alternate streams at all (except writing your own tools using, of all
things, the backup API).

Well, MS (and others) already got security problems because developers
didn't know/care about this stuff. Basically the default data stream can
be accessed under two file names, without any stream spec (file.txt) and
with a stream spec of :$DATA (file::$DATA) which gets interesting once
things like web servers are looking at file name extensions to decide
what to do - foo.asp is different from foo.asp::$DATA to them. And to
top it off I just noticed that this special stream spec is case
sensitive but others are not - what a strange file system.

[M-x big-snip]

MGri
--
Mathias Grimmberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Eat flaming death, evil Micro$oft mongrels!

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: This is probably a simple one :)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:10:36 -0400

Darin Johnson wrote:

> DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > First, don't telnet to the other box.  Use rsh, rlogin, or better yet,
> > disable all those and get SSH.
>
> Better to use telnet than rsh or rlogin!  The latter were originally
> written as stopgaps until something better came long.  But it took so
> long for better solutions that they became ingrained in the users.
> Of course, the latest Linux distributions have more secure versions,
> but it's better just to avoid them altogether in favor of SSH.
> Telnet at least is a standard TCP/IP protocol.

For an entirely internal to internal machine behind a firewall, I'm
inclined to agree BUT...

Of all the scanning that has happened to my box and the firewall at
work, I have seen port 23 hit with just about every instance.  I have
rarely seen scans (other than whole nmap hits) that are port 1023.

My suggestion of disable all the remote abilities and get ssh put onto
that box and then only allow connection from certain address still
holds.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.unix.admin
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:47:20 -0400

Brian Cash wrote:

> DanH wrote...
>
> >It sounds like you want a restricted shell.  Users cannot change their
> >directory (cd <another directory> doesn't work), cannot change their
> >environment etc.
> >
> >Look up restricted shell and keep your file system intact.  It'd be
> >murder to keep up with multiple versions of everything.
>
> Thanks for responding Dan,  as I said, brute force experimentation...    Any
> ideas where I would find a restricted shell for Linux?  The functionality
> does not appear to be built-in.   I've tried searching for it at a few
> "comprehensive" linux sites, but no luck.  More leads or specifics?   Thanks
> in advance.

I wrote this whole thing out on one of these groups after I did it to a
machine at work.  This is from what I did on a RedHat 6.0 box to make
the machine a logon box for people to get to their desktops at work from
but not be able to do anything on this box.

ln /bin/ksh /bin/rsh
mkdir /home/rbin

set the user up with /bin/rsh as his shell and set the home directory's
.login to have the line
    PATH=/home/rbin
    export $PATH

When korn shell is called via 'rsh' it becomes a restricted shell,
allowing very little.  With this restricted shell, the user cannot
change directories and can only execute what you have in /home/rbin,
cannot alter his enviroments, and cannot do much of anything.  Only put
the commands that this user is allowed to do there.

Word of advice, do not put things like /bin or /usr/bin in the path as
the user can get a full shell out of vi and other  programs.

If you're more comfortable with bash, you may have to recompile bash as
the default bash does not have the restricted option in it.

http://mmg2.im.med.umich.edu/~kcheek/texi-docs/bash/bashref_toc.html#TOC77

That give you a starting point on the bash restricted shell.  There are
similar documents for ksh, csh, etc restricted shells.

If you have more specific questions, please ask.

Dan

From: Sven Huster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: linux from the basic
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:27:45 +0200

hi there,

is there a doc or a helpful person to solve my problem.

i want to setup a linux machine without distribution (redhat etc.)

i got a running linux machine setup from redhat, but want to know how to
do it myself.
so i got two harddisk, one with linux running and one on which my new
system should boot from.

which libs, with progs, fs layout and so on.

thanks

cu
sven

------------------------------

From: "Stefano Rivoir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: R: mpg player for linux
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:35:49 +0200

Take a trip in http://www.tucows.com: there're dozens of
players/encoders/decoders.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: **gabriel**@twave.net (Richard L. Gabriel)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,hk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Save my 486... Linux and HDD controller board
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:08:21 GMT

Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Paul Sherwin wrote:

>> Alternatively, you may have a seriously screwed up partition table.
>> You could try deleting all existing partitions and starting again.

>I'm not sure if this is the case.  Before the installation, the 240Mb
>harddrive had Windows 3.1 installed and was running great.  After the Linux
>installation, I low-formated the harddrive once and checked it with Partition
>Magic 4.0 on my Win '98... everything was just fine... I guess I can dismiss
>the possibility that the hard drive has a screwed-up partition table...

>I noticed that some of you have controller boards with two IDEs.  Mine is a
>bit different --- there is only one IDE.  In fact, I've got two controllers:

This may be part of your problem.  I think that one controller only
should be in control.  I too have a UMC motherboard which has the
original IDE/ISA primary port.  However, with the installation of my
Promise EIDEMAX HD controller board the new BIOS which comes on it
over-rides the MB BIOS and gives that port all of the nice
characteristics of the Secondary IDE/ISA port on the controller board.
BTW, that board cost me about $25....a real value!

>one Goldstar and the other UMC... My CDROM is on the SoundBlaster board,
>which is automatically probed on Boot-up.

>I also tried my 1.6 G hard drive with the machine and the situation was even
>worse: The BIOS can't even auto-detect it... Man... I wonder how you guys
>configure your 486DXs and make a 10 G hard drive running....

The drive size that you can utilize depends only on the new BIOS
onboard the EIDEMAX board (or equivalent).  I can install up to four
128GB (yes GB!) hard drives, a master and slave on each of the primary
and secondary IDE/ISA ports.

>The motherboard on my 486DX has ISA and VESA(?  not sure if it's VESA... they
>looks like a regular ISA bus with a little brown bus in front of it... my
>SoundBlaster, which looks hugh to me, is on this kind of bus)...

>Thank you very much for the helps from all of you...

>Jimmy

Remove all "**" for E-mail reply

------------------------------

From: Hann Wei Toh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lpd question - page removal
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 08:58:37 GMT

Hi,

I am using Slackware 3.5 and have set it up to print to a networked
postscript HP laserjet which has a JetDirect interface.  It is noticed
that whenever I print something, besides printing out the target
document, the printer also prints an additional page with these things:
==
User: hannwei
Host: tulips.hannwei.org
Class: tulips.hannwei.org
Job: form.ps
==

Is there any way to remove this additional page?

This is the entry for the printer in /etc/printcap:
==
ps1:\
 :lp=:rm=ws1.eee.ntu.edu.sg:sd=/usr/spool/lpps1:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:sh:
==

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hann Wei

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: BIOS upgrade needs DOS(??)
Date: 1 Sep 1999 11:18:15 +0200

M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>Except that the Win9x CDROM is not bootable -- :(
>>Real operating systems come with bootable CDROMS!!
>
>[...]
>
>?
>
>Mine is. At least, one of them definitely is, since I installed
>one Win95 machine here directly from the CDROM. Dunno what version
>it was (I do have about 8 - 10 Win95 CDROM sets laying around) .

This is probably a CD made by the hardware manufacturer containing
bootable dos image, dos cddriver, special device drivers, and special
setup, and in addition a copy of the win9x system.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kee)
Subject: error occur while installation of StarOffice
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:39:53 GMT

Hello everyone,

I face a problem during install StarOffice 5.1 on my RedHat 6.
The message come out :-

"An error occured while unpacking the file libsvx516li.so.
There is probably not enough disk space."

When this message come out, i immediately check for the space left,
it was around 180MB left.

Anyway, installation continue if i click on "Ignore" button.
But i try to run StarOffice, it just show nothing and cannot start the
program at all.

I search for the file "libsvx516li.so", it exist.

Before install, my hard drive space left is around 300MB, and i choose
"Minimum" installation.

I install from console, after the installation finish, an error
message come out :

libsvx516li.so : Bad CRC 5613fbld (Should be 23fa36b9)

I already try on different pc, but it still show the same problem.

Is it something wrong with the .tar file which i download from
StarDivision ?

Please advice.

Thanks.

kee

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program
Date: 1 Sep 1999 03:47:58 -0500

[<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Yeah , I know about inittab, but I'm specifically looking to be
> enable and disable it from certain programs. Like I said , XF86 can
> do it so their must be some system call buried in libc or similar to
> be able to do it.

I think XFree opens and uses the raw virtual console device rather than
/dev/tty7 or whatever, so that it has lower-level control of the
keyboard i.e. can set LEDs and can handle every press/release event
rather than just getting typed characters through the console vt102
interface.  This is also how it keeps Alt-F1 and friends from switching
the VC out from under it (which would be bad, because a program running
on another VC wouldn't be expecting the graphics-mode state the VGA
card was in).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ton Nijkes)
Subject: Re: VMWare Video, Sound and Modem Drivers ?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:29:21 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 02:45:47 GMT, Niann Shiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is so cool to see Lotus Notes and other office suites work
> flawlessly within the win95 box in Linux VMware. So far it is stable
> and boots fast after a two-day trial.  The speed penalty is
> noticeable, but tolerable.  Basically, you have to build up win95 from
> scratch within Linux. The 3-com 905B network card worked fine, but was
> loaded with a strange driver I have never seen when in stand-alone
> win95 mode.  The pnp did not seem to work in VMWare.  Could someone
> comment on it ?  The win95 audio and modem driver did not work after
> being manually loaded. The only video driver which works is the
> standard VGA.  The SVGA driver downloaded from VMWare website can be
> loaded, but win95 complains conflicts when higher resolution is being
> used in SVGA (original video driver did not work due to hardware
> conflicts).  Does anyone have better luck to get audio and modem
> driver to work ? and How does VM share device with Linux (or they
> don't) ?

With VMWare, your Win95 will run on a *virtual machine*. The available
devices are also *virtual* devices and do not represent the actual
hardware in the machine, hence you cannot use the drivers you would
normally use for Win95 running natively on that machine.
Read the VMWare documentation more carefully. For example, the audio
card in VMWare is always an SB16, regardless of what hardware you have.

Greetings,

Ton.
    //
   //      Ton Nijkes                          Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] /
  //|\ ||  Murphy Software BV,                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 //||\\||  P.O. Box 285,                       Voice: +31 (0)53 4320055