Linux-Misc Digest #633, Volume #21                Wed, 1 Sep 99 19:13:18 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Active Server Pages for Apache? (zac zareski)
  Linux frequently crashes ("Justin Smith")
  Can Linux read NTFS? (T.P Harte)
  Linux keeps crashing! Help!!!!!!!! (Dragnet)
  Re: Sun acquires StarOffice; gives it away for free (Joshua Li)
  Re: PDFs for Linux (Robert Kiesling)
  Re: A silly question: POP and Sendmail (Peter T. Breuer)
  Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver. (Ron Gibson)
  [Q] ntfs mounting on the linux (Suhng ByuhngMunn)
  Re: Research (Klea Dzonsons)
  Re: source for icewm??? (Kenny McCormack)
  Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy (Philip Brown)
  Web Server Tuning (Kernel Upgrade) for RedHat 6/Kernel 2.2.5 (John Murtari)
  Re: A REAL Linux for free (Assad Khan)
  A REAL Linux for free ("Super Solaris")
  Shutdown Problem ("stan168")
  Best Linux Book (Georgi Kostadinov)
  licq: wrong UDP version number ("Søren")
  MSDUN over a direct serial connect with my Linux box... (Robert Nickel)
  Re: HTML based Telnet client? ("Ben Gunter")

From: zac zareski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Active Server Pages for Apache?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:58:39 GMT

Try http://www.chillisoft.com/

-Zac

------------------------------

From: "Justin Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux frequently crashes
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:03:26 -0000

Linux frequently crashes on my system (a Dell OptiPlex GXa with 64 meg of
RAM).

Frequent= about once a week. I know this is happening because I run a
web server on it and it goes down about once a week. The system has also
crashed
while I was logged on.

I'm running RedHat 6.0, with kernel upgraded to  2.2.10
The following message appears on the screen:
(lots of Hex, ending in

83 b8 80 51 24 c0 00 75 16 85 d2 74
05 b9 01 00 00 00 8a 43

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

Any ideas?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T.P Harte)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can Linux read NTFS?
Date: 27 Aug 1999 00:22:02 GMT

I am running Red Hat 6.0 under Windows NT 4.0 and I would like to
do most of my work in Linux.

Is it possible for Linux to read NTFS? I have tried to
mount the NT partition on my disk but Linux doesn't
recognise it.

Am I doing the wrong thing by attempting to mount? Are there any
hacks/workarounds out there?

Thomas.

------------------------------

From: Dragnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux keeps crashing! Help!!!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:58:09 +0100

I am running Redhat Linux 6 on an old Tulip 486 machine with 20 MB. It
is intended as a file / print server for a home network.

I installed the server installation from the setup program. I have no
problem getting it all set up and SAMBA runs just fine but if I throw
any heavy work at it e.g. copying a large directory to the server, the
whole system hangs completely. It is completely reproducible and I have
recently managed the same effect just by running a lot of apps in X too.

I have had this problem since an earlier install of Redhat 5.2 and have
tried swapping out the hard drive and even the memory without improving
the situation.

After browsing this newsgroup I was wondering if it might be because of
the size of the swap partition, It is currently set to 70 MB (by the
installer) and I was wondering if this is too small and might be causing
the lockups.

If so is it possible to increase this without starting from scratch - I
guess not easily, or could I add in another disk drive and format it as
a swap partition.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

I haven't included too much detail in this post as I am suggesting
answers. If you think this is not my problem I can give further info on
the current setup.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation - I'll buy more memory if I can get it
working, but I'm not spending money now, only to have to ditch it all
later to fix the problem.
--
Dragnet (Alex Dunn)

------------------------------

From: Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun acquires StarOffice; gives it away for free
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 21:14:15 GMT

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:40:15 -0700, Tim <nada> wrote:
> >Runs on Windows, Linux, OS/2, and Solaris SPARC/Intel.
> >
> >www.sun.com
>
> Clue: StarOffice was already given away for free before Sun's acquisition.
> Free in the $$$ sense, that is to say.  So nothing has changed.
>
> What would make news is if the source code were made open. There have been some
> buzzing rumors about that but nothing concrete.
>
> You are way behind Slashdot with this, by the way.

Well, if i am not mistaken, it is now free of COMMERCIAL use, and that,
my friend, is a difference
--
Joshua Li
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Kiesling)
Subject: Re: PDFs for Linux
Date: 1 Sep 1999 20:45:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kerry J. Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does the Adobe available for Linux has any utility for making pdf
>files?  I'd like to start making my won pdf files and I don't use
>Windows.
>Thanks.

PDFTeX can generate PDF directly from a (La)TeX source file.  The software
is alpha (has been for a long time), but seems to work well.  You can find
out more at http://www.tug.org/ and
ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex/.

Robert Kiesling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: A silly question: POP and Sendmail
Date: 1 Sep 1999 21:34:37 GMT

Frank v Waveren ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <Ozcz3.776$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:       "Gumby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > Read the Mail HowTO.
: > Then you won't have silly questions...just serious ones.
: As a wise man once said: There are no stupid questions, just stupid users. %)

He wuz ritE.

Where do the nanas come from? Apparently there is an infinite source
somewhere. And they often seem like ordinary people in real life.
Socially well adjusted too! Is logical thinking just not the
province of "normal" human beings, or is there a vital piece of
data missing somewhere along the line. I mean, who would ASK if
sendmail supports pop without first trying to figure out the relative
roles of these two things and read up on it and search the arcives
FIRST?

:                       Frank v Waveren
:                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:                       ICQ# 10074100

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver.
Date: 1 Sep 1999 21:30:16 GMT

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 03:21:05, Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Version 5 will not work with RedHat 6.0 and I don't "think" it will work
> > with Caldera 2.2.  I use the G2 version.  Here is the URL
> > http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

> It does work, you just need the proper patch.

The problem is with kernal version 2.2+

I couldn't get it to work under any conditions.  Supposedly help is on
the way.

------------------------------

From: Suhng ByuhngMunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] ntfs mounting on the linux
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 06:40:47 +0900

How can I mount the ntfs file system on the linux?

Thanks in advance!

sbmoon.

From: Klea Dzonsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Research
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:57:57 +0930

The Great Josh wrote:

> First, I'm sorry about the cross-post, but I wanted as wide of a
> coverage as possible.
>
> In my college writing class, we are going to have to write a 2,000-2,500
> word informative research paper on an argumentative topic.  What that
> boils down to is that I must write a 10-page paper on a persuasive topic
> without choosing sides.  The (broad) topic I have chosen is Linux/Open
> Source. What I need is material, or links to material, relevent to
> Linux/Open Source.  I need recent, relatively unbiased, and respectable
> resources for this paper.  Replies should be sent to my email address
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) so I can sort through them.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> The Great Josh

Try reading Eric S Raymonds paper "the Cathedral and the Bazzar" (do a
search in yahoo)
This was the paper that convinced netscape to go open source.
Of course it only outlines the good side of open source, so you'll have to
look elsewhere for a paper that outlines the bad side. ( if there is one :-D
)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny McCormack)
Subject: Re: source for icewm???
Date: 31 Aug 1999 11:49:39 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Duy D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can somebody please tell me where I can find source code for
>icewm-0.9.41 in tar.gz format?  I know RedHat has it, but it's in rpm
>format.  Why the hell does source code have to be in rpm format?  As a
>matter of fact, if somebody can tell me a good ftp site with source
>codes in tar.gz, he/she is going to be my hero for today.  Thanks!

It's actually not that hard to convert RPM to normal format(s).  Three
methods come to mind:

        1) Have a Red Hat system and use rpm to install the source code -
           this gives you a .tar.gz file (and some other nonsense which
           you can ignroe)

        2) Use the rpm2cpio program(s) available from various sources.

        3) Use my rpm2cpio program, which I have posted several times in the
           past (deja is your friend), and which I would post again here
           except that I haven't got my Linux systems setup at the moment.
           The advantage of my program over those in 2) above is that it is
           mostly a shell script (*) which makes it easy to see what it is
           doing and to modify it if additional functionality is desired.

           (*) One tiny piece is in C, which could probably be done in Perl
               if a fully script solution were required.

Anyway, I actually kinda like the Red Hat approach to source code, and it is
usually where I go for sources (as long as I have my trusty rpm2cpio
converter handy).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: 01 Sep 1999 21:30:34 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:58:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> only if microsoft wanted to claim what it was peddling was "UNIX".
>> But linux is NOT UNIX. so this is not a barrier to microsoft.
>
>Close, but no cigar.  Microsoft sold XENIX to SCO.  SCO realised that
>Microsoft could easily reenter the market and wipe them out.  As a
>result, the language was made very comprehensive.
>[....]

How about providing some excerpts from the "very comprehensive" language?

I'd like to know what language allows microsoft to sell windows NT, an
allegedly multi-process, multi-cpu, multi-user timesharing OS with file acls,
yet does not allow it to pursue linux, which is also unencumbered by
UNIX(tm)(R?) code

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: John Murtari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Web Server Tuning (Kernel Upgrade) for RedHat 6/Kernel 2.2.5
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:59:30 -0400

Folks,

Having a frustrating time getting good info on Kernel Tuning.
We are currently running RedHat 6/Kernel 2.2.5 and not terribly
impressed with performance.  Have read some "good stuff" on both
Linux and Apache Tuning at:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/citi-netscape

A bit frustrated with the Linux tuning -- the above recommended
adjusting kernel params snd_cwnd * send_cwnd_cnt -- but didn't give
any recommended values, how to do it, or rationale?  Same with
setting /proc parameter netdev_max_backlog

We run primarily web servers with a lot of outbound traffic, anyone
have experience with trying to adjust the MTU size of ethernet
interfaces to get better througput?

On the above site read some more "good stuff" about improving
the Linux scheduling algorithm -- we would like to upgrade our
Kernel, but don't know what would incorporate some of these changes
and also be a good fit in our existing RedHat 6 environment.

Must be a lot of folks out there serving up web pages on an
Apache/Linux platform. Any wisdom here would be a great help to
all.

Best regards!
--
                                       John
Customer Service                       Software Workshop Inc.

------------------------------

From: Assad Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A REAL Linux for free
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:21:04 -0400

1). Get a life, lewser
2). Get the hell out of a Linux newsgroup and join a alt.kids.freaks
3). Solaris does NOT run the majority of Web servers, and isn't free
4). Solaris sucks, Linux ownz
5). SOLARIS'S FREE IS NOT THE SAME AS LINUX'S FREE AND SOLARIS IS ONLY FOR
NON-COMMERCIAL USE! SO GET A LIFE BITCH!

------------------------------

From: "stan168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Shutdown Problem
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:15:31 +0800

Hi,
    Sorry, if you confuse with the subject above. Linux don't have shutdown
problem. I was thinking if the user just want to turn off the power without
doing a shutdown properly. Is there any way to prevent the checking (fsck)
at booting time and data corruption? Should I use the Embbeded Linux, I
wonder how the Embbeded Linux handle this case.

Any help will be appreciate, thanks.

------------------------------

From: Georgi Kostadinov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best Linux Book
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:47:44 -0700

Hello folks,

I am a new to Linux. I was wondering
what's the best book on Linux so far?
I have RedHat Linux 6.0 on my machine.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
        Georgi

------------------------------

From: "Søren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: licq: wrong UDP version number
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 22:48:55 +0200

Hi

I am running linux and Licq on an Ehernet with a WinNT-server. Sending
ICQ login to server gets warning about wrong UDP version number. A look
at the packets showed that Licq/Linux sends version# 2 and I recieve
version# 3 from server.

Can it be worked around? Or doesn't Licq/linux support UDP packets with
version number 3 yet?

Thanks
Soren

------------------------------

From: Robert Nickel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MSDUN over a direct serial connect with my Linux box...
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:49:50 -0700

I'm trying to set up a direct (null modem) connection between my Linux
box and my Win95 box.  The trick of the thing is that I need to get it
setup as a PPP connection and have the IP go through winsock.  I can
connect over Hyperterminal, but I can't get DUN to do a direct
connection (therefore, I get no IP address and no PPP).

Does anyone know how to configure this, or get MSDUN to not try to dial
a phone number and just accept a direct connection?

Thanks,
  --Robert

From: "Ben Gunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HTML based Telnet client?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:45:27 -0400

I recently had to work around this very problem.  I work behind a firewall
all day, but I run a server outside of it.  In my case, the firewall allows
outgoing connections on ports 80 (HTTP), 443 (HTTPS), and 21 (FTP).  Since I
didn't have a web server running on the machine outside of the firewall, I
configured inetd to run telnetd on port 80, in addition to the one on port
23.  I know you said you're running Apache, but maybe the HTTPS port is
still free?

Just a thought...

-Ben