Linux-Misc Digest #634, Volume #21                Wed, 1 Sep 99 20:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... (Artur Swietanowski)
  Re: Tmail Problem (Yiorgos Adamopoulos)
  Re: ATI Rage Pro and XFree86 (Christopher Michael Collins)
  Re: Web Browsing without X (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
  power management other than for laptops (Mayly)
  Re: Linux users group in Kansas City area - can't find one (Douglas Sparling)
  Re: Linux hangs (George Vlahoulis)
  Running the CD-RW as non-root (Jason Bond)
  Re: Printer Configuration (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program (Victor Wagner)
  Re: Linux Bumpers (Spike!)
  Re: Writing bash daemon (Spike!)
  Re: A REAL Linux for free (Philip Brown)
  SCSI tape drive suggestions? (fred smith)
  Re: home directory as root for users (DanH)
  ATI Rage Pro and XFree86 (John Vriniotis)
  Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program (Olaf Klischat)
  Re: Best Linux Book (Gene Wilburn)
  insmod problems ("John S. Gorman III")
  Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy (Phil Cuff)
  Re: Best language for graphical apps? (Robert Brady)
  WordPerfect cut&paste (Gene Wilburn)

From: Artur Swietanowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 19:49:14 +0200

Greg Leblanc wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Artur Swietanowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Stuart Hall wrote:
> [snip]
> > > When I boot from loadlin I got the uncompressing linux and the
> > > system hung for about 20 seconds when usually it just rips right by
> > > that notification.
> >
> > Exactly what could be expected. Internal cache works with full
> > processor speed, while with a 100 MHz bus speed, the external one
> > gives you very little speedup (if any).
>
> Uhm, no.  He said that he disabled BOTH the external and internal cache,
> which would REALLY slow the system down.

Actually, the internal cache makes all the difference in this case.

> But that's totally irrevalent,
> since the P-II's cache has NOTHING to do with bus speed.  It runs at 1/2
> the CLOCK speed of the CPU.

So what is the point? Half the internal clock speed will still be
200MHz as opposed to 100MHz of bus speed (which happens to be the
speed of communication with the external cache).

And, if you check your facts (see
http://www.intel.com/pentiumII/specs/fact.htm), you'll notice
that PII's have two levels of internal cache:
(a) level 1 operating at full speed (400MHz in this case) and
(b) level 2 operating at half speed (200MHz).
The 400MHz processor will communicate with the outside world at
100MHz.

Now, since the main memory also works at 100MHz (or, less likely,
at 66MHz), the speedups from having external cache enabled will
be modest compared to speedups gained by using internal one.

So my point was and remains: it's the disabling of internal CPU
cache that caused the performance drop.

Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yiorgos Adamopoulos)
Crossposted-To:
comp.mail.imap,comp.mail.misc,msn.computingcentral.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Tmail Problem
Date: 1 Sep 1999 18:08:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark Johnson wrote:
>Where can I find manpages and other doc for imap-utils? Thanks.

They are packed with the source:

$ gtar zxf imap-utils.tar.Z
$ ls -F tmail
Makefile        tmail*          tmail.1         tmail.c         tmail.o
                                ^^^^^^^

                                This is a manpage
--
c64.org!adamo

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ATI Rage Pro and XFree86
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Michael Collins)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 22:32:09 GMT

John Vriniotis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>It was supported in Xfree86 3.3.4  and the new 3.3.5 only
>
>The version of Xfree86 is 3.3.3.1. Hmm..  how do I go about
>downloading the newer version and upgrading?  Can I download the .rpm
>files through Windows 98, save to floppy and then install fron linux?

You should have some ftp client somewhere??  ms_ftp??
go to ftp.XFree86.org/pub/3.3.5/
And you'll get all the information and software you need.

Good luck.

--
--Chris

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Web Browsing without X
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 22:43:58 GMT

>Try using a tool called lynx, part of the standard linux distribution.
>
>http://lynx.browser.org/

Lynx doesn't support many of the things "modern" sites require.  For
example, you can't use lynx on expedia.msn.com (which is still the
best place to make airline reservations).

------------------------------

From: Mayly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: power management other than for laptops
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 22:31:04 GMT

Hi everyone,
I don't know if I dreamt of this or something, but
I thought I have seen somewhere information about being
able to get power management other than for laptops.
Only that I'm completely unable to find it again!

I remember seeing something like: it is possible to obtain
usual advanced power management (suspend, shutdown, etc) features
even if your computer bios does not support it.

Is this really possible and could anyone point me to info,
web site, or how to... or was I really dreaming..?

TIA,
Mayly

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Douglas Sparling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux users group in Kansas City area - can't find one
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 22:48:50 GMT

In article <37ab5478.23235937@news-server>,

> Does anyone know of a linux users group in the Kansas City area?
> I looked through dozens of web pages, but couldn't find one.  If
> there is not one in KC I am definately moving to a bigger city -
> YEAH!  Just finished by B.S. in computer science.  I'M FREE!.
> FREE!!!  :^)
> --
> Jeff Greer
> B.S. computer science, University of MO - Rolla
> Windows NT has crashed,
> I am the Blue Screen of Death,
> No one hears your screams...

Meeting tonight...Sept. 1.
http://www.kclug.org/meeting.html

--
Douglas Sparling
Web Programmer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Vlahoulis)
Subject: Re: Linux hangs
Date: 1 Sep 1999 12:09:32 GMT

On 1 Sep 1999 04:08:11 GMT, Ananda Rao Ladi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>While running some of our programs, the linux box seems to hang.
>
>Based on some user activity, we allocate chunks of memory (~ 12000 bytes)
>in the kernel, to collect some data. This memory is freed by another process
>parallely.
>
>When we start the tests, these two activities go on fine for sometime.
>We have verified that at any time, there are three allocations still to be
>freed. Also, the freed chunks are again getting re-used. We are using
>kmalloc() and kfree().
>
>When the system hangs, it doesn't even respond to the key-board. The only option
>we have is to press the "reset button". Don't know how to debug this.
>
>Any clues. You may send me a mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You havent necessarily hung your pc. from another pc can you ping your linux
box?
If the  answer is yes then you have just locked yourself out. telnet into it
and kill the offending app.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running the CD-RW as non-root
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:02:38 -0700

I'm running several cd-rw programs and all seem not
to want to work when running as non-root.  The cdrom
and cd-rw drives are set up as:

(jbond@blah: /dev) ls -l cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Aug 31 21:29 cdrom -> sr8

(root@blah: /dev) ls -l sr8
brwsrwsrwx   1 root     root      11,   8 Aug 29 18:58 sr8

for the cdrom and

(root@blah: /dev) ls -l sr0
brwxrwxrwx   1 root     root      11,   0 Aug 29 18:58 sr0

for the cd-rw

when I run cdrtoaster and try to blank a cd-rw media it says:

cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Cannot do mlockall(2).

When I try and run ripperX as non-root it says:

Error Code 14:
Cdparanoia complains /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.

and I've made sure there is a cd in the cdrom drive.

When I try and run kisocd and click on options, it lists the incorrect
cd-rw drive and says below it:
I have to be root to scan the scsi-devices!

All of these programs run fine as root, so it must be some
permission problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Printer Configuration
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:17:23 GMT

Hi, Girish.

Contrary to the M$Windows-centric mentality, you *dont* need a fancy GUI to configure
printers in Linux. What you will need is some patience and a text editor.

1st: Read the Printing-HOWTO and Printing-Using-HOWTO documents. They describe the
     process and method of installing printers much better than a post here could.
2nd: Read the man pages for lpr, lpd and printcap. lpr and lpd are the software tools
     that run the printer (there are others as well, but lpr/lpd are the most common),
     and printcap is the configuration file
3rd: Edit printcap (actually, it's /etc/printcap) to define your printers. You may also
     have to write some 'filter' scripts; these are explained in the HOWTOs mentioned
     above.
4th: Enjoy printing

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:31:03 GMT, Girish Kamath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>HI All,

>I have Redhat 6.0 installed on my box.

>X-Windows in not installed.

>How can I configure a printer without X windows configured.

>I know there is a tool "Print Tool" for configuring printer

>in X-windows.

>Please do not tell me to install and conf. X-windows.

>Can any one help me.

>Thanks in Advance.

>Girish Kamath.

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program
Date: 1 Sep 1999 22:09:28 +0400

In comp.os.linux.development.apps [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher) wrote:
:>Change the line to run a different program (say
:>   ca::ctrlaltdel:/bin/echo 'somebody hit ctl-alt-del' >/dev/console
:>and you change the action the key sequence invokes

: Yeah , I know about inittab, but I'm specifically looking to be enable and
: disable it from certain programs. Like I said , XF86 can do it so their must
: be some system call buried in libc or similar to be able to do it.

No, this is other way around - X server takes completely over the
console, including keyboard, and just not let keypress pass to kernel
code which triggers appropriate line in inittab. Note that Alt-Fn
sequences are disabled altogether, and X server implements its own
Ctrl-Alt-Fn instead.

So, if you are not going to take over console completely, best thing you
can do is to edit inittab and replace call to shutdown by call to some
script, which checks some flag, set by program (for instance, some file
in /var/lock) and if flag is up, doesn't let user to shutdown.

Thus program doesn't need to be setuid root. It just need to have enough
privilegies to set the flag.
: NJR
Victor Wagner @ home       =         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I don't answer questions by private E-Mail from this address.

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Bumpers
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:13:11 +0100

And verily, didst [EMAIL PROTECTED] eloquently scribe:
> Linux is greater than Windows bumperstickers: "LINUX > WINDOWS", black
> printed on white. Let the Microsofties know that not all operating
> systems are created equal. $3.00 each. RabbleTease Productions, 265 W.
> Ohio Ave., Rittman, OH 44270.

Errrrr...
People who aren't programmers (the majority) might misunderstand the meaning
of '>'...

They might think Linux is becoming Windows, or some other totally false
assumption...

(One message we DON'T want to spread)

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS......"     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "I'm afraid no-one's in at the moment, but if  |
|             in            |  you leave your rank and colour, we'll destroy |
|      Computer Science     |  you as soon as we get back..."- The Preventers|
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.bash
Subject: Re: Writing bash daemon
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 22:38:10 +0100

And verily, didst David Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
>> start your shell script in one of the init scripts with the "&" at the
>> end.
>>
>> like:
>> thisismydeamon &
>>

> Yes, I know that, but I want to be able to stop it again without peering
> through process lists.

killall thisismydaemon

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |    "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: A REAL Linux for free
Date: 01 Sep 1999 22:45:06 GMT

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:14:37 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>This message is not spam, this message contains infomration all Linux users
>will benefit from
>
>Using Linux?
>Thinking of using Linux?
>Have you tried Solaris?
>Solaris from Sun Microsystems runs the majority of the worlds web servers,
>and now you can get it for free. A fullty working commercial version of
>Solaris, capable of running Solaris and Linux apps in now available directly
>from Sun.

as a solaris admin, I am insulted that your subject line refers to solaris as
"A REAL Linux".

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI tape drive suggestions?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:38:03 GMT

Hi!

Having just installed some new (read: used) SCSI hardware in one of my
Linux boxen, I'm wondering if someone can point me to some good but
inexpensive SCSI tape drives. Currently I have no decent backup
solution and there is a growing number of machines on the in-house
network needing some kind of backup.

I need to keep the cost down, but would need someting of AT LEAST
a 5 gig capacity, the more the better.

Suggestions please?

Thanks!

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
============================== Matthew 7:21 (niv) =============================

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: home directory as root for users
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:54:50 -0400

Stephan Houben wrote:

> "Brian Cash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > DanH wrote...
> >
> > >It sounds like you want a restricted shell.  Users cannot change their
> > >directory (cd <another directory> doesn't work), cannot change their
> > >environment etc.
> > >
> > >Look up restricted shell and keep your file system intact.  It'd be
> > >murder to keep up with multiple versions of everything.
> >

> > Thanks for responding Dan,  as I said, brute force experimentation...    Any
> > ideas where I would find a restricted shell for Linux?  The functionality
> > does not appear to be built-in.
>
> Well, actually it is, in bash at least.
> Start bash with the option -r, or by calling it with rbash as the program
> name. Read the man page.

I went rounds with this until I figured out that RedHat does not compile
in the 'configure --enable-restricted' built into the default bash that
comes with RedHat. But ksh does have the restricted features enabled in
the default.

If you do call it via '/bin/rsh' then as your user, type

/bin/rsh
cd ..

If that doesn't give you an error (restricted shell, cannot cd) then
it's not built into the shell.

I do not know about other distributions or how they have their versions
set up.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Vriniotis)
Subject: ATI Rage Pro and XFree86
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:25:42 GMT

Hi,

I am getting very frustated here.  I installed Redat Linux 6.0 on my
computer almost two weeks ago.  The installation went fine and it
works at the unix promt level.  If I want to get into xfree, my
monitor goes blank.

Here is my configuration:

IBM Aptiva
PII - 266 mhz
64 meg ram
6.2 gb hd - partitioned 4gb win98/1.5gb linux/200mb linux swap
CD/DVD drive (Hitachi)
CD-RW (Sony)

ATI 3D Rage Pro (2mb) built onto the motherboard
Creative Labs Voodoo2 (8mb) connected to the ATI output

IBM 2138 MM75 Multimedia monitor (built in speakers and microphone)

When I run XF86Config, I setup my mouse and keyboard with no problem.
When it comes time to choose my vide card, I choose the ATI 3D Rage
Pro that is on the list.  This makes my default Xwindows server the
MACH64 (which makes sense).  I then configure my monitor manually
(H-freq. 30.0-69.0  and V-freq 50.0-160.0)

Whenever I try to run xwindows (startx) my screen goes blank (just
like when it is in powersave/screensave mode).  I have tried just
about everything that I can think of but still cannot get this to
work.

Please help.

Thanks

John

PS:  If anyone has successfully setup the ATI Rage Pro card, I would
appreciate it if you can email me your config file so I can use it as
a reference.

------------------------------

From: Olaf Klischat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 02 Sep 1999 01:40:39 +0200

Emile van bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 1 Sep 1999, Olaf Klischat wrote:
>
> >"Ben Gunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> In /etc/inittab, there's a line like this:
> >>
> >>     # Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
> >>     ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
> >>
> >> I think commenting that line out and running "init q" will have the effect
> >> you're looking for.
> >>

> >Hmm.. not that I have much of an idea about linux system programming,
>
> What does this example have to do with programming? 'If it ain't
> clickety-click, it's programming'???

Is there a misunderstanding here?

The original poster said that what he wanted to do was "Disabling
control-alt-delete from a _program_". Which, in this case, would mean
to do all these inittab modifications "silently" via fread()/fwrite()
or something directly from the program.

OK, maybe that's not so much a problem with inittab as it would be
with, say, /etc/profile, because inittab has a fairly fixed format,
but nonetheless...

I for myself wouldn't want to have my config files modified by
something other than myself (that is, my favorite text editor :)
). Isn't it "common sense" in unix to _edit_ configuration files
manually or maybe with some authorized configuration tool only? If you
don't follow that rule, there's always the chance that you break
something, IMVHO.

> >but sometimes I come to the conclusion that, in the unix world, it is
> >considered sane to hack some rather sensitive config file
> >programmatically and be happy that it works somehow...
>
> It's a _configuration_ file, for $DEITY's sake, just like you said! It
> is _meant_ to be edited to suit your particular setup/situation!
>
> And the use of 'hacking' instead of editing is just to make it sound
> bad. What exactly do you mean? The above is not a trick of some sort, is
> is documented and well-defined behaviour.
>
> And text files are a lot less sensitive than a binary heap full of
> pointers, IMHO. hdfsSetKeyRegExA(), wouldn't you call that
> 'programmatically hacking a rather sensitive config file?'

Indeed I would, at least as long as it would be used to edit something
other than the invoking program's own registry sections.

just my 0.01..
Olaf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gene Wilburn)
Subject: Re: Best Linux Book
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:34:23 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:47:44 -0700, Georgi Kostadinov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Hello folks,
>
>I am a new to Linux. I was wondering
>what's the best book on Linux so far?
>I have RedHat Linux 6.0 on my machine.
>Thanks in advance!

Quite frankly, there is no single, best Linux book. You'll really need to
think about buying a small library of Linux books if you're serious. It
used to be that Running Linux (O'Reilly) was considered a great starter
book, but it's too out of date. I understand that a new 3rd ed. of Running
Linux is due any day. If it's been 'modernized' it might be back in the
'running' so to speak.

Go to www.amazon.com and enter "Linux" at the search. Take a look at the
wealth of titles and read the user comments. And while they don't make the
only good Linux and Unix books, O'Reilly sure has way more gold medals
than anyone else :-)

FWIW,

Gene

--
I've got a bad feeling about this!  -- Han Solo

------------------------------

From: "John S. Gorman III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: insmod problems
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:42:30 -0500

Howdy all,

I recently compiled kernel version 2.2.12 on my PII box.  Everything seems
to be working fine.  However, when I run 'insmod <module>' I get:

/lib/modules/2.2.12/ipv4/<module>.o:  unresolved symbol <symbol name>

After the new kernel was compiled, I noticed that the System.map symlink was
not updated in the /boot directory, nor was the module-info symlink.
Although in the rc.sysinit there appears to be code for performing those two
functions.  I moved the System.map from /usr/src/linux/ to
/boot/System.map-2.2.12 and created a symlink, but I don't know how to
remedy the module-info problem.  I am not sure if this would affect the
'insmod' or not, but just a little info.

Please let me know if anyone has any insight on this issue.  There are a
couple of modules I would like to insert, but am not currently capable.  I
am running Redhat 6.0, and insmod version 2.1.121.

Thanks in advance,

John

------------------------------

From: Phil Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:47:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thaddeus L. Olczyk writes:
> > This has me curious, I've heard of court cases where NT was declared
> > POSIX compliant ( supposedly so Microsoft coiuld get government
contracts
> > which required PoOSIX comliance ). If this were true, then how could
> > Microsoft get away with the SCO agreement and NT?
>
> NT is not POSIX compliant.

NT is a NIST FIPS 151-2 certified system.  FIPS 151-2 is a document that
incorporates IEEE Std 1003.1-1990, so by reference FIPS certification
implies POSIX.1 conformance.

> NT plus a third party POSIX package sold by a company whose name
> escapes me at the moment is POSIX compliant.

The company is Softway Systems, and the package is called INTERIX (first
introduced as OpenNT).  INTERIX adds POSIX.2 (commands and utilities)
functionality, and complies with FIPS 189.  INTERIX on WinNT conforms to
the Open Group's XPG4 UNIX 95 specification.

> When a Federal agency wants NT, they buy a package consisting of NT
> and this POSIX package.

WinNT is often purchased by the federal government without the INTERIX
environment subsystem.  A waiver may be granted if conformance to any
FIPS PUBS requirement can be shown to be unnecessary.

> The regulation requires that they buy POSIX stuff, not that they
> use it.  The POSIX package goes straight into the trash unopened.

If it's not needed, the requirement is waived, and the product is not
purchased.  Followups to alt.folklore.urban....

> John Hasler
> [.sigsnip]

Phil Cuff

From: Robert Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Best language for graphical apps?
Date: 1 Sep 1999 17:34:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Errin Watusikac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm with Max. I've been using Linux (and not M$Win) and reading NGs and
>webpages (including gnu.org) for several years, and "free" still means
>"without cost" to me unless the context clearly changes the meaning.
>I.T. is not that context.  Max was right - software can't have freedom.
>And people who use GPL, NPL, QPL, etc, certainly don't have freedom;
>their bound by the terms of a several-thousand word license.

I've been using Life for a couple of decades, and "free" still means
"without cost" to me unless the context clearly changes the meaning.
Government is not that context.  %s was right - countries can't have freedom.
And people who use USA, UK, EU, etc, certainly don't have freedon; they're
bound by the terms of several-million word laws.

>People here better get used to the fact that Linux now both a corprate
>OS and a commercial OS (see this week's Linux Today article on those
>terms).  It contains non-free (by any definition) software and has users
>and developers who have escapted from a wide range of other
>environments.  It would be better for all (except maybe the few who are
>too heavily invested in poorly-considered habits) to make things easier
>on the new folks, instead of having them make things harder on you.

No. Linux does not contain non-free software. Stop your lying, please.

--
Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gene Wilburn)
Subject: WordPerfect cut&paste
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:39:41 GMT

Has anyone figured out how to cut and paste from a terminal window into
WordPerfect 8 for Linux? I cannot move things from less or Emacs into WP.
Have tried right-mouse, middle-mouse, standing-on-my-head-mouse, paste
from the Edit menu mouse, and even tried clicking the mouse while
simultaneously drinking Cherry Coke, but nothing gets from here to there.

Any insights appreciated.

Gene

--
I've got a bad feeling about this!  -- Han Solo