From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Where is fips?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 01:54:35 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:13:27 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Where can I find a copy of fips?

Try here: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware/install/fips-20/

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vt420
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 01:40:52 GMT

Herve Delmas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking for  at VT420 terminal emulator . I tryied to configure
> xterm to emulate a VT420 terminal  but I did not success. Any Idea?

XFree86 xterm emulates a vt220 - which may be adequate, maybe not.

Why do you need a vt420?  (I know the differences, but don't know of
any Unix applications which require them).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "J. Escalante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Have you heard?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:03:17 -0400

DanH wrote:

> Byron wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps I am different in this way....
> >
> > The way I see it, I am doing Microsoft a favor by attacking this site.
> > Several people I know are making this into a "bigger dick" contest; to see
> > who can do the most damage, etc.  This is what Microsoft wants people to do.
> > Personally, I would rather do nothing to assist Microsoft and let them debug
> > and stress-test their own damned code.  It seems that no matter what,
> > Microsoft has a knack for insisting that users do its bug-hunting and beta
> > testing for it.  I do not intend to participate.
>
> Microsoft is making an ass out of itself yet again.  This, for the
> hacker community, is EXACTLY like the BSOD when Bill Gates himself tried
> the PnP on national TV.
>
> It's pretty pathetic, but I wonder how many of the better crackers will
> just probe to see what's what and wait until this is actually in
> production before using any exploits.
>
> BSD TCP stack, eh...
>
> Dan
> --
> UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
> Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

Microsoft? what's is it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I need help, BAD
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 01:23:47 GMT

I lost my fstab but have it backed up and wish to use the backup but it
says I am in a read-only mode.  How do I cp it?  If I use the rescue
disk it sticks me in a very limited shell that I can't get around in.

If anyone can help please do.

P.S. I am using RH6.0

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER G2 Problems
Date: 2 Sep 1999 21:04:01 -0500

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:25:52 -0400, Gilbert Groehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>After fooling around with that damnable Real Player G2
>version for several hours I finally 'shit canned' it.
>
>We will probably have to wait for Linux to mature some more
>before the nice free applications get properly configured for
>it.   And then it will probably depend on which distro you're
>using.
>
>Oh well.  Everything except RealPlayer works great so I will
>do a little more experimenting with Ver 5.0 to see if I can get
>it running and if not rm is waiting.
>
>Thanks for all of the input.
>
>Gil Groehn
>
>CHamel wrote in message <7qmovj$4d8a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>That makes three of us... mine didn't do a damn thing, either, and was
>>nearly 8MB!  I wonder what gives!?
>>
>>>I had the same thing happen except it had a .exe extension!  Viewing the
>>>file with a text editor shows linux and elf strings near the start of
>>>the file but its useless as far as I can see (and huge, for a player.
>>>Mine was a 8 megs).

Somewhere on that site is G2 in rpm format. I know, I got and it mostly
works. Don't know what a .bin extension is. I suggest getting the rpm
which may be listed as RH5/6 but should work with Caldera. rpm -e
rvplayer. Then install the new one. There is more to it than one binary,
there are various libs, etc that need to be in the right places. The new
binary is 'realplay', so you'll need to go into 'applications' in NS and
change the realaudio mime type executable from 'rvplayer %s'
to 'realplay %s'.

There are some bugs, and it seems to not like low bandwidth connections,
but it does work to a point anyway.

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Linux needs AppleWorks (or something like it).
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:02:45 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
spake unto us, saying:

>IMHO, one of the things that Linux sorely needs is something
>like AppleWorks.

Like KOffice?  :-)

  http://koffice.kde.org/

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS

------------------------------

From: Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: two networks
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:17:17 -0400

Tony Green wrote:

> Did it work though :-?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > That's for sure. I didn't know you can assign the default gateway on the
> > fly.

    No. The output was :

>/sbin/route add default gw ###.###.###.###
>SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

    huh? I can't connect until I specify a gateway but I can't specify a
gateway until I connect????

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kee)
Subject: error occur while installation of StarOffice
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 01:44:52 GMT

Hello everyone,

I face a problem during install StarOffice 5.1 on my RedHat 6.
The message come out :-

"An error occured while unpacking the file libsvx516li.so.
There is probably not enough disk space."

When this message come out, i immediately check for the space left,
it was around 180MB left.

Anyway, installation continue if i click on "Ignore" button.
But i try to run StarOffice, it just show nothing and cannot start the
program at all.

I search for the file "libsvx516li.so", it exist.

Before install, my hard drive space left is around 300MB, and i choose
"Minimum" installation.

I install from console, after the installation finish, an error
message come out :

libsvx516li.so : Bad CRC 5613fbld (Should be 23fa36b9)

I already try on different pc, but it still show the same problem.

Is it something wrong with the .tar file which i download from
StarDivision ?

Please advice.

Thanks.

kee

From: Wayne Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: World Linux Day -- 17 September
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:28:23 -0400

Mike Palmer wrote:

> Phil Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > It will be Linux's birthday in a fortnight's time -- on the
> > 17th of September, to be precise.
> >
> > We could:
>
> [...]
>
> > * go out and get pissed (OK, not strictly Linux-related)
>
> Is there some British interpretation of this that I'm missing? (I'm thinking
> there must be... does it mean something like getting drunk?)

Precisely.

> If not, stop on by, and I'll show you my new NT system. That should do the
> trick... ;-)

Yes, that would probably evoke the American connotation of the expression.

--wmp

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver.
Date: 2 Sep 1999 20:58:04 -0500

==============7CEB28248F4EC1A5B53EE910

Ron Gibson wrote:

> > > Version 5 will not work with RedHat 6.0 and I don't "think" it will work
> > > with Caldera 2.2.  I use the G2 version.  Here is the URL
> > > http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html
>
> > It does work, you just need the proper patch.
>
> The problem is with kernal version 2.2+
>
> I couldn't get it to work under any conditions.  Supposedly help is on
> the way.

Apply this patch and it should work

If you are using RedHat 6.0 you may need something else. Before I
upgraded to SuSE I tried it and it failed until I installed the libc5
version. It worked for me without a patch, I use 4-Front software.

G2 is actually the best choice. It worked beautifully for me with
SuSE 6.1 and SuSE 6.2

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=657586 conv=notrunc
dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=665986 conv=notrunc

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: voice recognition on Linux.
Date: 2 Sep 1999 21:12:03 -0500

William Burrow wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:35:24 +0100,
> Justin Clancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" wrote:
> >> Can someone tell me kind of voice recognition software is out there
> >> for Linux?
> >
> >There are two systems I know of:
> >
> >ears - but I think that development has stopped on this.
> >kvoice - the KDE program.  I use this and it works quite well.  It tends
>
> Isn't IBM porting ViaVoice, or is my recollection way off?

It is on one of my CDs from SuSE 6.2 as well as Voice dictation,
similar to that of OS/2 I guess. It includes the full SDK for writing
your own voice recognition programs.

From: Evan L. Schemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help compiling Festival (speech_tools)
Date: 3 Sep 1999 01:52:47 GMT

I am trying to install festival, and it says it needs the
speech tools package available from the same site.

I downloaded it as well, but I am unable to get it to
compile.

I am running Linux 2.0.35, with gcc 2.7.2.2.  I did not change anything
in config.dist.

When I do make info, everything looks OK to me (correctly identifies
ix86_Linux2.0, and FSF gcc version 2.7.2.2.

But, when I go to make (GNU Make version 3.74), I get the following
(after several files compile correctly):

siod_fringe.cc: In function `struct obj * fringe_server(struct obj *)':
siod_fringe.cc:149: no matching function for call to
`EST_FringeServer::EST_FringeServer (EST_String, void *)'
../include/EST_FringeServer.h:85: candidates are:
EST_FringeServer::EST_FringeServer(const EST_FringeServer &)
../include/EST_FringeServer.h:61:
EST_FringeServer::EST_FringeServer(EST_String)
../include/EST_FringeServer.h:63:
EST_FringeServer::EST_FringeServer(EST_String, ostream *)
../include/EST_FringeServer.h:66:
EST_FringeServer::EST_FringeServer(EST_String, int)
../include/EST_FringeServer.h:67:
EST_FringeServer::EST_FringeServer(EST_String, int, ostream *)
make[1]: *** [siod_fringe.o] Error 1
make: *** [siod] Error 2

This is clearly a C++ problem, but as I am not really a C++ person, I don't
have a clue how to fix this.  If I change the ostream * constuctor to a void *,
then it will move on to another similar error in another file.

Can anyone offer advice on how to get this to compile under linux?

Note: I am running slackware, so I can't use the precompiled rpms.

Thanks
Schemm

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gnucash or other financial programs
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:40:32 -0500

"Kerry J. Cox" wrote:

>     I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
> However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
> stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
> can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
> the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.

I was at GunCash.org last weekend and it was up.  When I downloaded it
and looked at the install requirements it wanted me to dl some motiff
stuff, or use a certain version of lesstif, and a couple of other
things.  I decided not too.  I think GNUcash should consider "putting
all their eggs in one basket" so the user only has to download and
compile a single source.  Otherwise, compile static  binaries using the
various libraries.  I may try it again soon, though.

>     Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
> like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete

Moneydance requires the JRE (Java Runtime Environment, check for which
version, which you can get from the www.blackdown.org site), which Sean,
the author, didn't supply with Moneydance, at least the last time I
checked.  JRE is nearly 10MB of stuff, but even so it is a lot easier to
install than GNUcash.  If GNUcash doesn't get its act togeather before
the end of the year I am going to go with MoneyDance.
Be advised that MoneyDance is not GPL, there is a $25 charge.

> instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
>     I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
> letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
> successful in doing this?

You might want to consider VMWARE, which allows you to run both Linux
and WinXX simultaneously.  If you version of Quicken was for Win 3.1 it
may run ok in WINE, otherwise I wouldn't bet on it.

--

JLK
"The measure of worth - 'wealth' - is knowledge and competence.

------------------------------

From: "Jamie Putnam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:21:54 -0400

    Microsoft's OS is like Kenny G on kazoo. There has to be a
melody in there somewhere it's just difficult to discern.

J. Escalante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: DanH wrote:
:
: > Byron wrote:
: > >
: > > Perhaps I am different in this way....
: > >
: > > The way I see it, I am doing Microsoft a favor by attacking this site.
: > > Several people I know are making this into a "bigger dick" contest; to
see
: > > who can do the most damage, etc.  This is what Microsoft wants people
to do.
: > > Personally, I would rather do nothing to assist Microsoft and let them
debug
: > > and stress-test their own damned code.  It seems that no matter what,
: > > Microsoft has a knack for insisting that users do its bug-hunting and
beta
: > > testing for it.  I do not intend to participate.
: >
: > Microsoft is making an ass out of itself yet again.  This, for the
: > hacker community, is EXACTLY like the BSOD when Bill Gates himself tried
: > the PnP on national TV.
: >
: > It's pretty pathetic, but I wonder how many of the better crackers will
: > just probe to see what's what and wait until this is actually in
: > production before using any exploits.
: >
: > BSD TCP stack, eh...
: >
: > Dan
: > --

From: "Mike Palmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:20:59 -0700

Phil Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> It will be Linux's birthday in a fortnight's time -- on the
> 17th of September, to be precise.
>
> We could:

[...]

From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: man command show "line ?/? (end)"
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 02:31:07 GMT

Raymond Cheng wrote:

I am using slackware 3.6 and when I input the command, for example "man
ls" in one of  the MANPATH (where ls.1.gz exists), it just showed "line
?/? (end)" at the bottom of the screen.  Some newsgroup said that tried
to run the command "gzip -dc ls.1.gz" first, but the result is the
same.  What is the problem? Thanks a lot.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: DOes *screen* give me more font selections?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 02:21:01 GMT

I am considering d/loading screen. But only if it will provide me with
prettier fonts (hate all this serif/system/courier) stuff
Please reply by mail if you can help, thanks
 --
Andy Purugganan
annandy AT dc DOT seflin DOT org

------------------------------

From: "Chokky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,info.ncsa-telnet,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.pc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: DHCP and never-expired leases
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:05:51 +0800

DHCPºÞ²z­û¤J­±§ïscope ªº¤º®e->¯²¥Î´Á¶¡

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: midi for ES1868 (SB driver)
Date: 2 Sep 1999 21:15:09 -0500

fred smith wrote:

> Guilhem Tardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Hi!
>
> : I am trying to install the sound driver of 2.2.11 on a Thinkpad 760EL,
> : which has a ES1868 sound chip. Therefore, I set up the SB drivers (as
> : module), but my documentation (delivered with RD 6.0) is not in sync
> : with the software and I can't get the midi driver to work.
> : It should be uart401.o (found in /lib/modules/2.2.11/misc), but the OS
> : can't find it at boot time.
>
> : Therefore, when I run sndconfig, the second part of testing doesn't work
> : and I get annoyed by the "FAILED" label at boot time ("can't find midi
> : module").
>
> I've got an add-in card with the 1868 chip on it and I can't get midi
> to work either, though I get no boot- or run-time diagnostics, it simply
> fails to produce sound. If you find out any useful information about
> how to get midi working with the ESS1868 chip, please either post here
> or let me know privately, if you would.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fred

Go to 4-Front software (link on my site, Open sound)

You can test their demo and you will find out if it works right.
Remember that you need to install Timidity++ if you want midi to
work.