Linux-Misc Digest #658, Volume #21                Fri, 3 Sep 99 14:13:17 EDT

Contents:
  Re: good news for small systems regardinging netscape (AeonFlux®)
  Re: /sbin is gone? help! (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Upgrading from RH5.2 to RH6.0 and the new kernel?? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: vt420 (Herve Delmas)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Brian Moore)
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... (Stuart Hall)
  Re: gnucash or other financial programs (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program ("Ben Gunter")
  Re: A REAL Linux for free (Leonard Evens)
  Re: A REAL Linux for free (Leonard Evens)
  Re: C vs C++ for Open Source projects (Richard Kettlewell)
  Re: Maintaining 2 Networks (Tony Green)
  Re: Qmail TEST.deliver (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: Star Office 5.1: Is it just me ... (Steve Gage)
  Distributions RH, Suse, Mandrake ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HELP with Partioning Strategy (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Help! Hard drive IRQ timeouts! ("Bart Silverstrim")
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Stephan Houben)
  Re: shellscript: i need a tmp filename how get a unique one ? (Tony Green)
  Re: CERN security (Warren Bell)
  Re: Netscape font rendition: Linux vs Windows ("Mark P. Nelson")

From: AeonFlux® <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: good news for small systems regardinging netscape
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:32:14 -0400

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 01:09:46 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(B'ichela) wrote:

>Both are the Libc5 ONLY versions. these are the Export
>netscapes. for the strong encryption versions. you are on your own ad
>I don't use the domestic only versions here.

Does it time out like the strong encryption version for windows?

>       I also would like some help setting up my web page. I also can
>provide some shell accounts but Remember, I only have a 14,400 modem
>so speed might be tight. Apache is up with the stock apache page at
>http://pinkrose.dhis.org. if you want a free shell account and are
>local to Willimantic Connecticut. email me at (yep you guessed it
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks but no thanks,  the latency would drive me crazy!

AeonFlux®

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /sbin is gone? help!
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 11:30:02 -0500

Jeff Fedor wrote:

> / was 100% full and i picked the wrong directory
> (/sbin) to sym link to another partition.
>
> when booting, i discovered that only the /
> partition is mounted read-only and it needs
> stuff in /sbin to finish booting. since i
> moved /sbin to a partition that is not mounted
> during this initial boot phase, i'm SOL.
>
> any advice? i mostly would like to get to /home
> (which is in yet another partition) and dump to
> tape, then call it a day, but full recovery
> would be nice.
>
> abuse not solicited, but deserved :-(
>
> (i'm running RH 5.2, if it matters)

If you created a boot floppy, you can boot off it.  You can
also get a copy of rescue.img on a floppy, either using
a dd command from any Linux system or using rawrite from
Windows/DOS.  Then use the boot floppy and choose rescue
mode.  This runs from a system on a ramdisk in memory.
It is a bit limited but should allow you to change links
and what is mounted.   You may have to experiment to figure
out how to use an editor like vi if you don't know how to
use the old faithful ed.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Upgrading from RH5.2 to RH6.0 and the new kernel??
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 11:24:32 -0500

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Is it possible to do a straight upgrade from RH5.2 to RH6.0 and
> automatically get the new kernel recompiled according to the settings
> I have done on my old kernel?
> Or will the kernel stay the same as before until I manually recompile
> it?
> Grateful for any hints on problems in doing this upgrade.
>
> PS: The original installation was RH5.1 on which I did a custom kernel
> compile to get my network adapter into the kernel among other things.
> Then I ran the upgrade to RH5.2 straight out of the box, but I don't
> know what happened to the kernel at this time. I guess RH5.1 and RH5.2
> come with the same level of kernel revision so the kernel may have
> been untouched??
> But I relly would like to get the new kernel running....
>
> TIA
>
> Bo Berglund
> Software developer in Sweden
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> PGP: My public key is available at the following locations:
> Idap://certserver.pgp.com
> http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

If you upgrade to RH6.0 from RH5.X, you will get the new generic
2.2 kernel that ships with 6.0.   You would then have to compile
a new kernel if you felt you needed one.   Since the kernel
source tree is entirely new, you almost certainly would not be
able to use your old kernel configuration file as is.

You can probably continue to run your old kernel, but you also
shouldn't want to.   Also, are you sure you can't make do with
the generic kernel?  It may very well include the card.  Doing so
eliminates upgrade problems about the kernel.

You may want also want to upgrade using the latest kernel
rpm packages provided at the RH web site (and mirrors).
But check their web page on how to upgrade a kernel.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Herve Delmas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vt420
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:41:45 GMT

"T.E.Dickey" wrote:

> Herve Delmas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am looking for  at VT420 terminal emulator . I tryied to configure
> > xterm to emulate a VT420 terminal  but I did not success. Any Idea?
>
> XFree86 xterm emulates a vt220 - which may be adequate, maybe not.
>
> Why do you need a vt420?  (I know the differences, but don't know of
> any Unix applications which require them).

    I need to log on a VMS computer which is possible with a VT220
emulator but for some applications running on the VMS platform I need a
VT420  capability.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Moore)
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 3 Sep 1999 12:34:22 -0400

Leo Cambilargiu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think he is talking about security in a different sense that any of us
>might think.  SECURE TO  HIM MIGHT BE 'I am unable to adjust the inside
>settings, it must be secure because I don't know how to do anything.'
>whereas we might think of SECURE as I know enough to make the system
>behave according to my specifications, all attempts to do something
>unauthorized is not allowed.
>
>The difference in understanding security might be the misunderstanding
>that a hackable OS is less secure because it is hackable.  And that a
>non-hackable system ie windows only allows well documented prethought
>manipulations that are all legal.  (THE MS Legal team looked through it:)
>maybe)

Hasn't it occurred to anyone that maybe what this guy is saying is
something simpler, along these lines which is --

If you install Linux (say Redhat) in a rather default way, and

do the same for windows, now...

look at these systems and observe which of the boxes in the
lab is being cracked more often.

My own observation is that it is the Linux boxes that are being
cracked.   These observations say nothing about the inherent
security of Linux/UNIX vs. MS Windows but it is something that
I have observed also.

--

Brian G. Moore, School of Science, Penn State Erie--The Behrend College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , (814)-898-6334

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Hall)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:33:41 GMT

This post is not necessarily in response to Bob McGwier, but to anyone
who responded:

To clarify, what I did on that second night was to enable external
cache, and disable internal cache, which caused my system to run
slower, although the cpu was then identified by the kernel correctly.

I have since enabled *both* internal and external cache (that is,
re-enabled internal cache) and the system is working perfectly, and
detecting the CPUs perfectly.

The initial question, which seems to have been resolved now through
experimentation, was why the L2 cache was described as external cache,
even though it is part of the Pentium II processor -- that is, to a
newbie, I am plugging a big unit into a slot on the mainboard, not
really plugging anything in separately.  Anyway, I understand now the
difference.

Sorry if the wording on my initial post caused a lot of confusion.
Thanks to everyone for all the information.

Stuart

"Robert (Bob) McGwier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> so kindly spent valuable
time on Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:21:12 GMT writing:

>And furthermore, what the chip provides is the HARDWARE TO MANAGE
>the external cache, and not the memory itself.
>
>Artur Swietanowski wrote:
>
>> Greg Leblanc wrote:
>> > (...) L1 is internal cache.  It's ON THE PROCESSOR CORE.
>> > L2 cache is (...) NOT on the processor core, and therefore is
>> > NOT internal cache. (...) the external cache is now a part of
>> > the processor.
>>
>> This is some kind of Intel newspeak that I was not aware of (till
>> now). If you read the above, you'll see that L2 which is a part of
>> the processor, is called external. To me that's an oxymoron.
>>
>> Thanks for claryfying my confusion,
>> Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
>> Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
>> tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Stuart Hall
Connecticut, USA

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gnucash or other financial programs
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 11:42:59 -0500

"Kerry J. Cox" wrote:

>     I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
> However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
> stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
> can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
> the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.
>     Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
> like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete
> instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
>     I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
> letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
> successful in doing this?
>     Thanks in advance.
> KJ
>
> --
> .-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
> | Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |
> | [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Systems Administrator           |
> | (801) 994-8800 x101   http://www.vii.com              |
> | ICQ# 37681165         http://quasi.vii.com/linux/     |
> `-------------------------------------------------------'

I would think it would not be too hard for Quicken to port
a basic version of its program to Linux.  Also, it would make
sense for them to do so since Microsoft is not likely to follow
suit, and it would provide a potentially large market for them.

I recently switched to Quicken after many years of using a
Pascal program I wrote in 1982.  I did so only because I wanted
other people to be able to access my financial records were I
to become disabled.   Quicken is a nice program, but I don't
see why its basic functions cannot be replicated under Linux.
Perhaps gnucash and other attempts are too ambitious.  All I
really need is the ability to enter and write checks, to
search for checks, to classify entries and write reports.
I don't even need a gui; it would be fine if it ran in a
terminal window.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Ben Gunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Disabling control-alt-delete from a program
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:52:27 -0400

>... and he's quite right; application A shouldn't touch application B's
>files, it shows lack of social skills ;-). I'm only glad I don't see to
>much evidence in support of his conclusion (yet)...

For the record, I never suggested writing a program to edit any
configuration files.  I thought he just wanted to disable it once.  And I,
too, misunderstood your point, Olaf.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A REAL Linux for free
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:49:04 -0500

Super Solaris wrote:

> This message is not spam, this message contains infomration all Linux users
> will benefit from
>
> Using Linux?
> Thinking of using Linux?
> Have you tried Solaris?
> Solaris from Sun Microsystems runs the majority of the worlds web servers,
> and now you can get it for free. A fullty working commercial version of
> Solaris, capable of running Solaris and Linux apps in now available directly
> from Sun.
> Whay play with toy Unix clones when you can be using a real commercial unix?
>
> Visit Super Solairs @
> www.ssolaris.cjb.net

Having managed both Solaris and Linux machines, I say that Linux
wins hands down.   Moreover, getting support from Sun, even during
your warranty period, is like pulling teeth, unless you pay for
it.  There are all sorts of artificial rules about what the person
on the other end of the phone is allowed to say to you---as you
might expect with any commercial product.  I doubt if users of
the free version will get any help at all.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:50:02 -0500

Super Solaris wrote:

> This message is not spam, this message contains infomration all Linux users
> will benefit from
>
> Using Linux?
> Thinking of using Linux?
> Have you tried Solaris?
> Solaris from Sun Microsystems runs the majority of the worlds web servers,
> and now you can get it for free. A fullty working commercial version of
> Solaris, capable of running Solaris and Linux apps in now available directly
> from Sun.
> Whay play with toy Unix clones when you can be using a real commercial unix?
>
> Visit Super Solairs @
> www.ssolaris.cjb.net

And does this free solaris include a free C compiler?   Or do you
end up using the gnu compiler like everyone else?
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Richard Kettlewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: C vs C++ for Open Source projects
Date: 03 Sep 1999 09:18:11 +0100

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> take away some C++ reserverd keywords and use ansi prototypes and yes
> C++ is essentially a superset of C.  this is why C++ is popular.  if
> it weren't, it
> a) wouldn't be C++ (it'd be smalltalk haskell, common-lisp, ML &c)
> b) wouldn't be as popular (just like smalltalk, haskell, common-lisp, ML &c)
> yes it's practically a tautology, but your denial that C and C++ are
> closely related makes me bring up the obvious.

`is not a superset' != `are not closely related'

> are you saying that
[...]
>     printf("hello world\n");
>     return 0;
[...]
> is fundamentally awful?  note that this classic is valid in both C and C++.

How about some error checking...?

Talking of error checking in C++ - in C I can write:

    if(fclose(stdout) < 0) { perror("stdout"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); }

to report any I/O errors to the calling program.  Of course I am
relying on implementation-specifics for the error message to make
sense, and also for the exit status to be interpreted in a sensible
way, but still.

How can I do this with `cout' in C++?  Can it be done at all?  My
local documentation would seem to imply that it can't, BICBW.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

------------------------------

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.network,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Maintaining 2 Networks
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:56:15 +0100

Well,

I use a lan connection and ppp at the same time without any problems.  As for
dynamic DNS etc - thats a different problem.

I think you best bet it to right a little script which will allow you to change
the relevnet files based on information that it gets from /var/log/messages?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Qmail TEST.deliver
Date: 3 Sep 1999 16:18:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Subba Rao wrote:
>This is the "rc" file from /var/qmail directory
>#!/bin/sh
>
># Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
># Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.
>
>exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
>qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail

The "exec env" command is missing its trailing ampersand.
The qmail-start program wants to run in background, as root, with its parent's
environment stripped off (that's what the env- is for) and Qmail's bin
at the front of the PATH.
All the programs in /var/qmail/bin should be executable by root but none
should be set-user-id.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Star Office 5.1: Is it just me ...
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:54:03 GMT

Alex Flinsch wrote:

> Hopefully someone will fix up the help system. I can deal with the occasional odd
>word
> in German, but the direct German --> English syntax can be quite confusing sometimes.

With the documentation StarOffice of, the problem what is?

Steve

------------------------------

Subject: Distributions RH, Suse, Mandrake
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 03 Sep 1999 13:15:50 -0400

I was looking over the various distributions available at the
computer store and noticed Mandrake, which appears to be RH 6.0
plus some extra stuff, for less than half the price of RH 6.0.
What's the catch?

I had RH 5.2 on my old HDD and would like to get Linux back and
running, but I can't see forking over almost $80 for RH 6.2.  I
could just reinstall 5.2, but would like the newer kernel and
Gnome.

It appears that Red Hat's rpm is more standardized than
Suse's packager, which would make getting new software easier
than with Suse.  Are there any problems with, say, installing
Suse 6.2 over RH 5.2?  What are the pro's and con's of Suse
vs. RH?
--
Eric Goforth | Senior Applications Programmer | SimTek, Inc.

If you'd like to respond via e-mail remove the what's between ew and
goforth in my return address to get my real e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: HELP with Partioning Strategy
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:03:59 -0500

"Ralph H. Stoos Jr." wrote:

> Hello fellow Linux users,
>
> I have been using Linux for about two years now but I am not what you
> would call a experienced UNIX system administrator.
>
> Here is my question:
>
> Can someone point me to an on-line location where I might be able to get
> information on the strategy used for partitioning hard drives under
> Linux?  What I am trying to find out is the difference in partitioning
> between a server and a workstation.  Also, I have installed RedHat,
> Caldera, Debian, and SuSE and basically let these packages determine my
> default partition sizes.  I am REALLY looking forward to the
> Corel/Debian release and the IBM/Caldera release!!
>
> The other strategy I need to understand is how to partition the hard
> drive and install programs so that any user logging in can run the apps
> since you don't want everybody logged in as root.
>
> If nobody knows of a good on-line spot,  how about a reference book that
> explains the strategies in plain English?
>
> Thanking you prematurely,
>
> Ralph H. Stoos Jr.
>
> PLEASE RESPOND TO:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> OR
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't think you will find what you want.  Unfortunately there
seem to be as many partitioning strategies as there are system
administrators.

Here are some considerations to keep in mind.  Other things being
equal it is a good idea to have a few partitions as possible so
that you have more flexibility in the future when you upgrade
or add packages.   People often give to much space to a /home
partition and not enough for the / (root) partition.   Some
people thing one /  partition is all that is needed with /home
a subdirectory.   That certainly allow maximal flexibility,
but creates problems if one has to reinstall the OS.   I
would suggest providing at least twice, perhaps three times
as much space for / as you currently need.   Then create
/home and possibly other partitions such as /opt as needed
for your system.

Finally, if you encounter the 1024 cylinder limit for booting
with lilo, you will need to create a small separate partition
for /boot, and this may be a good idea anyway.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Bart Silverstrim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help! Hard drive IRQ timeouts!
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:26:37 -0400

Thanks to everyone who emailed me and replied to the group about this...the
general consensus seems to be that this a "very bad thing" (tm)

I have ordered the new drive, and made a backup of vital info to a CD.
Hopefully this weekend I'll get it up and running in a restored state.

Again, thanks everyone for your help interpreting the error messages.  As a
side note, it seems the kernel doesn't automatically use DMA access to the
drives (BIOS recognizes this as UDMA compatible).  While trying to diagnose
what was wrong with the drive, I seemed to have made the drive about four
times faster using hdparm (until it started clicking again, then it looks
like it reset itself to a "normal" mode).

Is there any reason not to use hdparm to set the dma mode on (hdparm -d1
/dev/hdx) if the BIOS on bootup says the hard disks are UDMA drives? It
didn't seem to do anything but speed up the drive, and I figured I had
nothing to lose since this one is failing...  The kernel is 2.2.5-15, Red
Hat 6.0.

Thank you!
-Bart

------------------------------

From: Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Sep 1999 17:01:59 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege) writes:

> Everybody is _still_ assuming that because his prof said that Unix
> is only used for lower-end, low security tasks, he somehow meant that
> Windows is used for high-end, high security tasks.  And that is
> crap.

OK, but the original poster claimed:

> I'm taking a class on operating systems.  During the last class, the
> instructor mentioned that *nices are less reliable and less secure than
> Microsoft OS's.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now, it is of course possible that the original poster misunderstood
his professor's statement. However, if this was actually what the
prof said, well, then that's pretty dumb.

Stephan

------------------------------

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shellscript: i need a tmp filename how get a unique one ?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:12:27 +0100

Or you could just use something like

TMPFILE=/tmp/tmpfile.$$

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:27:46 +0000
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CERN security

Yeah, thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Mark P. Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape font rendition: Linux vs Windows
Date: 3 Sep 1999 17:34:43 GMT

  and throw away your first page completely.
  Read this page: http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/~mudws/font.html

2. Don't make the whole thing rely on javascript for navigation.  I
  don't want my hard disk erased, or my screen filled up with advertising,
  so I turn it off and leave it off. onClick="window.close(I'm outa here.)"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I am developing a large web site on plane geometry.  I know I'm being
: baaad, but I have designed the constituent pages to fit optimally in
: a window which is about 800 pixels wide.

: I do the development on a laptop running Linux/Netscape, with an 800x600
: screen.  My original goal was that everything would look perfect on the
: laptop.  Then I discovered that when viewed under Windows/Netscape,
: or Windows/I.E., the fonts all come out about "two sizes" too large.
: As a consequence, I'm stuck telling the user to downsize their fonts
: (by hand, e.g. CTRL-[[ under Windows/Netscape) every time they look
: at the site.

: I want a solution to this problem.  Does anyone understand why
: Linux/Netscape (RedHat 6.0) would render fonts at a different size
: than Windows/Netscape?  Does anyone have a clue what I should do?

: The site is accessed by going to
:           http://bigbox.unl.edu/plane/open.htm
: and following the instructions there.

: Thank you!!

: David Jaffe
: Department of Mathematics and Statistics
: University of Nebraska - Lincoln
: e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory