From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Will this ever change?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:35:31 -0400

I have been using Linux for a few years.

I consistently run into this situation:  I make a graphic in one
program, and I want to use it in another program.

In Windows, I copy and paste.  Done!  I don't know how Windows does it,
but almost every application I ever used in Windows, (math, drawing,
word processing, electronic diagram, and chemical structure drawing)
would all communicate with each other seemlessly.  I never had to worry
about importing/exporting and hoping that the filters would work.

What's more, any time I prepared a graphic in a program, then copied it
to WordPerfect (my preferred WP, although I am very disappointed in with
the addition of features to WP7 that make it try to think for me), I
could always resize and scale the graphic.

But in Linux I must export some format that is compatible with the
destination program, and that is almost certainly not the native format
of the program I created the graphic with in the first place.  Rarely do
the export/import filters work without annoying little bugs or sever
loss of resolution of something.  And I can't scale it once I import it
into a word processor.

I can also not understand fonts in Linux.  I can do it if I had the
time.  But I don't.  I have the time to do my work with programs, not
spend weeks studying the innards of Linux to figure it all out.  I have
reached a balance, where the really essential things I can do
proficiently in Linux.  I can compile software, the kernel, and solve a
lot of problems.  I got ppp set up my own way, and have an automagic
print filter set up.  But I can't expend the effort it takes to do these
things every time I want to put a graphic from one program into a
document in another program.

Why can Windows do this so well, and Linux (X Window System) can't?
Will it ever change?

--
_____________________________
Christopher R. Carlen

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: how to make Win98 filesystem compatible with Linux
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:54:45 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm upgrading my Win95 "OS" to Win98. What should (and what should I
> not) do to make sure that all Linux partitions and the data thereon
> survive, and that all data on the Win partition is still readable from
> Linux?
>
> System is RH5.2, KDE, kernel 2.2.
>
> --
> Replies please cc my email (since the Deja Tracker
> does not seem to work for me): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> No spam please.

I haven't yet done this, but there should not be any significant
problem in most cases.   It has been reported that during the
upgrade, in certain rare circumstances, the Windows upgrade
program will see Linux partitions
and try to format them.   As best I can tell this is really
an old DOS bug and not peculiar to Windows 98, but I am not
sure.  It appears for example that if one has multiple FAT
partitions followed by an extended partition (which could
contain Linux in logical partitions), then this may occur.
You are unlikely to encounter it, but if you do, see below.

I would think one safe thing to do would be to save the partition
information in the Master Boot record by doing
dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/boot.sav bs=512
and similarly with of=/dev/fd0
(or replace hda by whatever is appropriate for you disk).
Make sure you have a bootable floppy with a rescue option.
Then you could use the rescue system to copy the master boot
record back if the Windows 98 upgrade overwrote it.  (But
before doing that, also keep a copy of the new MBR.)

Here are some information I've collected from a variety of
sources for which might help if you encounter the problem.  Also
try deja.com for previous postings.
Make sure your base Windows Partition is the active partition.
This is usually the case, but if it isn't, you can change it
with the Linux fdisk before upgrading and then change it back.
But you will need your boot floppy to boot Linux.
Try and launch the Win 98 setup like this:  setup /? , this will display
a list of possible switches to add to the command line.  I'm in Linux
right now so I can't check it but the ones you want all start with /i,
/im /is etc.  this should bypass the scandisk and disk space check and
proceed right into the install.  You may want to boot to the DOS 7.1
(command prompt only) and run scandisk manually before you do this just
to make sure the pattition is all clear.
See the DOS 6.x WARNING in man fdisk.

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Color LaserJet 5 + RH6.0
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 11:54:43 -0500

Eric _emaq_ Maquiling wrote:

> Has anyone got the color to work on the HP ColorLaserJet 5 and Red Hat 6.0?  I have
>it working on the
> III/4/5/6 driver but no color.  Is there a workaround or a new filter floating
>around?
>
> Eric šemaq" Maquiling

I have no experience with the HP ColorLaserJet but I would presume
it is a postscript printer, since all the color laser printers
seem to support postscript.  In that case you should choose
the postscript printer filter.   Certainly this works with
HP B&W postscript laser printers.

I am interested in the answer to this question since some day,
if I strike it rich, I would like to try a color laser printer.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Eric _emaq_ Maquiling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:18:24 -0700

------------------------------

From: "J. Seth Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:24:04 -0500

I have been running RH6 on my server for about a month now, and have
experienced no problems at all. Of course, I don't have X or anything
graphical running, so maybe that is where the problems are. Nevertheless,
I have been running a pretty loaded server under RH6 flawlessly.

Seth Henry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uncompressing a *.bz2 kernel
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:31:34 GMT

Just do a:

bunzip2 -cd linux-2.X.X.tar.bz2 | tar xfv -

If any questions, e-mail me.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Indica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:31:07 GMT

you stated that you are looking for free or low priced bbs
software...there are plenty of free perl scripts out there for this kind
of thing but most are not very user friendly.

I recommend the Ultimate Bulletin Board http://www.ultimatebb.com/

It costs around $150 however it is probably the best web based system I've
ever seen.  They offer a free version on their web site but it only allows
you to create 6 forums and doesn't give you much administrative control
(it's very difficult to change or remove a post you don't like).  The free
version is probably better than most free things you'll see on the web
though.  The nice thing about the UBB is that you can add things to the
code.  Infact, Info Pop, the people who make the bulletin board have a web
site (http://www.scriptkeeper.com/)  made just for "code hacking" where
users with perl experience post new features and improvements.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Cocheese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Figure Out The MS Source Code Yourself
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:31:07 GMT

Dear All,

Please know that i am only a "Wanna-Be" programmer with a curiousity about
"Search For The Code" mission the linux community are all on.
After Reading friday how all windows versions have 2 "backdoors" for
allowing all the MS team and the Government also to over ride all
encryption, i am finally sick of their treatment to consumers.

As we all know Gates Latest move of distributing Billions to charity will
write him out of a "Guilty" verdict as he always has before. So it is now
up to "US" to figure it out on our own.

Here is my question:
====================

if a program must be compiled before running, is it possible to "Uncompile"
it somehow? and if so... Could it be possible to reveal (even to some
degree) the code in order to figure out what we all want to know?

as i said before i'm no Linus Torvalds or Allan Cox, but i am curious why
we can hack any program but not able to figure out the code by ourselves?

Thanx

-Cocheese

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Falu)
Subject: You think I shouln invest in Red Hat?
Date: 4 Sep 1999 18:26:10 GMT

I need an opinion from the technical side!!!

------------------------------

From: "J. Seth Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HDD losing data?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:32:51 -0500

I would suspect your hard disk, not the OS. Linux periodically flushes its
caches to disk. (I believe the program is called bdflush) If you shutdown
and reboot properly, the shutdown script will also do this by running the
sync program. Unplugging or resetting the machine improperly will cause
file system damage (ok, it might - but why chance it?) Assuming your
system is set up normally, run sync right before you shutdown and see if
that solves your problems. If it doesn't, backup your files and replace
the drive temporarily. That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, then
you have a problem I haven't seen yet.

Seth Henry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Figure Out The MS Source Code Yourself
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:33:54 GMT

On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:31:07 GMT, Cocheese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanx
>
>-Cocheese

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Anyone got any advice on how to killfile all this crap? I hope I don't have to
do it on the CNET string in the article bodies!  Would it make sense just to
nuke everything coming from supernews?

------------------------------

From: Indicatrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LANG and Mutt: garbled characters
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:25:25 GMT

And the answer is .....

set LC_CTYPE = en_US.iso-8859-1
or something similar, depending upon your requirements. I have tested
this and it works.

An alternative (I have not tested it yet) might be to place the
value in LANG rather that LC_CTYPE.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William D. Leara)
Subject: public domain Usenet feeds
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:53:37 -0500

I'd like to setup my Linux machine to serve Usenet news.  Is anyone aware
of a free Usenet NNTP service that I can hook up to?  I've heard rumors
that such a thing exists, but little luck finding it.

Thanks for your help.

William

------------------------------

From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Notepad for Linux?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:12:07 -0400

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> Is there a Notepad-like tool for Linux? Please don't give me somthing
> that needs GNOME/KDE Thanks Please reply by e-mail
>
> --
> Andy Purugganan
> annandy AT dc DOT seflin DOT org
> apurugganan AT amadeuslink DOT com

Try Nedit, aswedit, or pico.

_____________________________
Christopher R. Carlen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My OS is Linux 2.0.29

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.admin
Date: 4 Sep 1999 18:11:57 GMT

J. Seth Henry ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have been running RH6 on my server for about a month now, and have
: experienced no problems at all. Of course, I don't have X or anything

And exactly what are you running?  NIS? NIS+? NFS? POP? IMAP? SSH? HTTP? mbone?
SNMP? DHCP? Font servers? ... I could go on and on. As far as I know, all
of the above have obvious faults in RH (and some of them in all distros).
Sometimes the obvious fault is "where is it"? :-).

: graphical running, so maybe that is where the problems are. Nevertheless,
: I have been running a pretty loaded server under RH6 flawlessly.

Server of what? Files? Via nfs? Try running bonnie over nfs.

: Seth Henry
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with RedHat! Does Linux 2.2.+, 2.3.+ serial driver handle sharing
interrupts?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:09:27 GMT

Hi,

With Linux 2.2.5-15 (RedHat), Linux 2.2.12, and
Linux 2.3.16, I'm having trouble with using a PCI
(non-winmodem) modem when it is sharing an
interrupt with either my on-board Ethernet or on-
board sound.  I have the following equipment:
        i810 chipset motherboard
        On-board 82557 Ethernet (IRQ 15)
        On-board ES1371 Sound (IRQ 11)
        PCI Slot with a ActionTech PCI Modem (IRQ
         11), port 0xd800

If I move the modem to another slot, it always
conflicts with something.  In this case, I can
move it to another slot such that it gets
IRQ 15 and thus conflicts with the Ethernet.

If the serial driver is sharing the IRQ with the
ES1371, I get no response in minicom, however
sound works fine.  However, if I "rmmod es1371",
the modem works great in minicom.

Likewise, if the serial driver is sharing the IRQ
with the Ethernet, I get no response in minicom,
however ethernet works fine.  If I "rmmod
eepro100", the modem works great in minicom.

This seems to narrow things down to the serial
module?  My BIOS doesn't allow me to configure
any PCI IRQs, etc.  There are no ISA cards.  I
don't seem to have a configuration option in
which the ActionTech modem can have an unique IRQ.

Where can I go from here???

Thanks in advance for any help!

James Gurganus
(james__*@*_gurganus__*.*__net)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: What approach to take?
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Sep 1999 12:05:43 -0700

Try these: