From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:25:38 +0000

Lizard wrote:

> OK, finally managed to get Linux (Redhat 6.0) installed on my PC *and*
> seeing my SDSL line (the last was the tricksy bit). Ah, at last! I shall be
> free of the eternally crashing Windows OS and the tyranny of Chairman Bill!
> Liberty shall be mine!
>
> Er...maybe.
>
> First off, I must be some sort of God of System Failure, as 'crashproof'
> Linux bombed on me with Gatesian frequency. A few samples:
> a)When I installed my ethernet card (using linuxconf). It nicely installed,
> and I could then 'ping' anywhere I wanted, proving I was on the net, DNS
> was working, etc. Tried to launch Netscape. Nothing happened. Tried some
> other apps. Nothing happened. Tried to logout (this is all under Gnome,
> BTW). Nothing happened. No windows could open, it seemed. Finally had to do
> a power-down to get out of it.

I know you are frustrated, but, GNOME, is not stable at this point. It
is a very stupid idea for RedHat to make it the default. I currently use
mandrake, which is almost exactly like RedHat except that it uses KDE,
is compiled for a Pentium (not 386) and works.

> b)Installed 'metacard' (a hypercard clone) off the Redhat applications CD.
> Tried to run the demo. My screen went black and my mouse decided to move to
> the lefthand side of the screen without my hand being on it. Charming.
> Again, power-down was the only solution. (I did get the application to run,
> but I've been afraid to try the demo since then.)

I have never seen that behavior.

> c)Not quite a  crash, but several times, when I have tried to go to a page
> that 404s under netscape, netscape just closes down. Charming again. (Go to
> the Linuxberg page, go to Gnome software, go to Newsreaders, click on the
> first one, it's the only 5-penguin product. Try to go to the home page.
> Kaboom!)

Netscape just plain sucks, but, it sucks least when you get the latest
of their website. The netscape shipped with distributions usually have
bugs. Don't ask me why. I have seen this with Mandrake, SuSE, and
RedHat.

rpm -e netscape-communicator
rpm -e netscape-navigator
rpm -e netscape-common

wget ftp://(netscape download site and file).gz

> d)A few other crashes, I forget the circumstances. Rather than the robust
> he-man operating system I was expecting, I find I am terrified to do
> anything, for fear of having to reboot yet again. (At least when Windows
> crashes, it displays a dialog box TELLING you it has crashed. Linux just
> sits there, taunting you.) (I know, I know, "I kept my Linux box running
> for 14 months and it only stopped because the local power plant exploded."
> But let me guess -- it was running as a server, happily chugging through a
> limited set of routines. It didn't actually have a real human being
> pounding on it, running dubious shareware, mucking with config files, etc,
> did it? Aha. Didn't think so.)

When you say "crash" do you mean the whole system stops responding? Or
just that the program died?

> [...]
> find anything under X to compare with Newswatcher on the Mac or Free Agent
> under Windows. Ditto, nothing to match Eudora for mail.
>
> Of course, of the software I did find, I couldn't get any of it to run. I
> attempted to install Doom (shareware version) and Gnomehack (A gnome-
> enabled version of nethack).
>
> Doom:Untarred it into my home directory. Discovered that it really wanted
> to be untarred from the root directory. Tried to copy it there, found out I
> had to BE root to copy it to \, su'ed to root, tried it again, untarred it,
> tried to run it...got some random 'file not found' error.
>
> Gnomehack:More-or-less the same phenomenon. Addendum:The INSTALL file for
> nethack tells you that, when you're done, to just type 'nethack' and play!
> Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you the nethack executable is buried in the
> src directory. It also didn't work.
>
> Thus far, this has been inauspicious. I'm not giving up -- I know most of
> my problems are due more to newbie cluelessness than OS problems, and I
> intend to dive in to man pages, documentation, etc, in order to figure out
> what I'm doing wrong. But there's plenty of people who won't make the
> effort, and, if you REALLY want to unseat Chairman Bill, you've got to
> think about them.
>
> A few suggestions, mostly random:
> Why the SMEG does X write output to STDOUT when you can't SEE it until you
> leave X? At the very least, the user should have the option of all error
> messages being written to an X Terminal visible on their desktop. There's
> nothing like shutting down X and seeing a screenful of error messages which
> would have been a lot more helpful to know about WHEN I GENERATED THEM!
>
> If you are going to have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen, make sure
> the applications know it is there. Maximizing Netscape hides the taskbar,
> for example. For that matter, clicking on the various task buttons (like,
> to bring up one of my terminals) just plays a pretty 'boing' sound. I have
> to manually minimize windows to find the one I want. So what's the point?
> (Maybe some error message was displayed...on the text screen I can't see
> 'cause I'm running X!)
>
> Is it just me, or is X rather, uhm, sluggish? I have a PII 400 and the
> whole GUI felt like it was running in molasses. Is there some 'trick' to
> speeding it up?
>
> 'Samegnome' is disturbingly addictive.
>
> Directories do not need version names, especially for enduser apps.
> 'FooBar1.01-45A-intel-linux-2.0' is a *stupid* name for a directory. (Or a
> file, for that matter). Since the Macintosh, which also permits very long
> file names, is NOT afflicted with this sort of nonsense, I don't see why
> Linux has to be.
>
> More rants as the situation warrents. BTW, how good is CodeWarrior as an
> IDE? I used it on the mac and loved it, and it's for sale cheap for Linux
> at my local CompUSA...recommendations/condemnations welcome.

These are all probably valid points, but, not all are Linux "proper" and
some are differences between Linux and Windows/DOS.

#1 Netscape.
Repeat after me: Netscape sucks. Remember that and you will find
happiness. All BIG browsers, Netscape and IE for instance, suck. I have
not seen a browser that did not crash due to some content. The question
is what happens when it crashes. For technical reasons, I can see why
browsers that support Javascript, java, and plug-ins can be a hard
project, one would think that the bugs would have been worked out by
now.

#2 X
X Windows is a great system. Yes, not as optimal as a direct to screen
API, but X is so cool people have been trying to copy it for years. If
you have DSL, you should try running an X app from a server on the web,
it is a gas. With X, one can run a GUI program from anywhere on the
planet and have it work on your system. Way cool.

#3 Xservers.
The X server is essentially a TCP/IP connected display driver. Since it
is, conceptually, a display driver, a bad one will mess up your system.
No OS, no matter how well written can protect itself from poorly written
privileged software.

#4 Netscape and Bad X Servers
This happens to me one every 4-6 months. While running Netscape, the
whole system will lock up. No telnet, nothing. This has only been using
netscape. It happens so infrequently I have never been able to find out
the specifics. Since I read about other people having this problem, I
guess it is common.

#5 X errors on stdout.
X usually prints is errors on stderr. One can usually do something like
"X 2> err" when problems arise. If you need tech support, these
capabilities come on real handy!

#6 Weird directory names.
Chock this one up to culture shock. You'll get used to it and will
eventually learn to rely on these sort of "hints" app programmers give
you.

#7 GNOME
GNOME is cool. GNOME is not ready for prime time. As far as I can see,
it may never be. KDE is my desktop of choice.

#8 Windowisms and Linux
Lastly this is very important. This is not Windows!!! This is neither
good nor bad, it just is. Since it is not Windows it will neither act
like, nor resemble Windows at various times.

This is the hardest thing to get people to understand. They say, "well
why doesn't it work like Windows?" Well, it doesn't and won't. Windows
is changing as is KDE and other operating systems. Linux started in
1991, Windows was still a 16 bit shell around DOS at that time. They
come from very different backgrounds.

The computer industry is learning about GUI interfaces and how to
present information to users. The Mac is different than Windows and
Linux is different than the mac. Depending how greedy lawyers (sorry -
redundant) behave, the GUIs may actually converge over time.

#9 Linux is not perfect
Linux is pretty good. It is more than "good enough" for most
applications. It is not the "silver bullet" for all applications. IMHO,
however, its capabilities and stability far exceeds that of Windows and
NT.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Fischer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 13:58:25 GMT

x-no-archive: yes

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linus Torvalds) wrote:

> >hello Linus, how much of change would the kernel need to get it
> >sheduling a la QNX and Kickstart ?
>
> And we would like to have that exactly why?
>
> Somebody ported lmbench to QNX, and preliminary results show QNX having
> rather worse scheduling latencies etc than Linux.  I don't think you
> realize how many people have NOT used QNX, and as such there's a lot of
> things that people just take for granted rather than actually have any
> proof for.

I read QNX uses the same sheduling like Kickstart, which I really have
used, that's why I mentioned QNX. Now I feel I better had not
mentioned it... I wasn't about the microkernel debate.

Latencies. Isn't the time the kernel needs to switch something
different than its decision how to switch priorities.

I thought of something like #ifdef priorityfan to have strict
priorization. I am a fan of never-locking-mousepointers, of granted
GUI response. I thought I request the feature believing it were a
minor add to the kernel ?

------------------------------

From: Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:22:38 -0400

Kelly Robinson wrote:

> 2.  I have not used all the software you have, but SuSE Linux 6.1 (6.2 is
> latest which I'd recommend to you) is a LOT more stable than anything that
> Red Slip (oops, Hat) can produce.

Really? The two stock RH 6.0 systems I run (at home and at work) don't
crash or display any other signs of instability. The RH 5.2 (kernel 2.2
upgraded) Web server I run doesn't crash either. Its current uptime is
36 days, since it was last shut down for a hardware upgrade.

Now, there is some unstable software shipped with RH 6.0. (Enlightenment
comes to mind.) But there are stable alternatives, too.

Jon
--
Jon Bloom, KE3Z
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrei A. Dergatchev)
Subject: Re: [Q] Editing large (~GB) files ? vi ?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 18:43:40 GMT

Thanks for clarification, I saw the answer and I guessed
that there's a command "top" in vi :-)

Andrei

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Flash)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Recommendation for Color Printer?
Date: 5 Sep 1999 13:58:25 GMT

Hi everyone,

I am finally ditching the Epson 9-pin Dot Matrix, and am looking for a
modern, color printer for a replacement.

Printers are the periphials that I am least knowledgable about.

I have seen several sub-$200 color inkjet printers at the local Office
Depot, but I have no idea which one will run on my workstation, which is:

Pentium 200 - Linux 2.0.36 - based on Redhat 5.2

Can anyone recommend a good-quality, color printer, which works very
well with RH 5.2, preferably around $250 or under.  It will just be for
personal use, maybe 100 or 200 pages monthly.

Thanks for any help.

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,redhat.general
Subject: Re: CRM/Contact Management Systems
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Sep 1999 12:14:05 -0700

Steve Parr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are you aware of any websites/companies/exhibitions etc. that deal with
> Linux CRM/Contact Management Systems.

Not by that name. There are many database systems that could be used
with enough messing around, of course.  A couple who's documentation
indicated they were especially appropriate for that sort of thing are:

http://tomato.nvgc.vt.edu/~hroberts/mot/  (Ministry Of Truth)
http://gaby.netpedia.net                  (Gaby)

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/database.html  (others)

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Jack Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: News reader and email app?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 11:22:38 -0400

Could anyone recommend some good News reader and email app for Linux?

Thanks!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Quota problems on a new disk
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 15:24:24 GMT

I had exactly the same problem as yours except that my problem was on my first
HD(I haven't test it on my 2nd HD yet), repquota brought up the "D" processes
and system load wnet up to infinite and I had to press that reset button.
Someone told me that this is because quota support is still buggy in linux.
Anyway if anyone could shed some light on it I'd also appreciate it.
BTW, I'm using RedHat6.0 off the CD-ROM(ie., without any erreta update, I tried
to upgrade gdm, as loaded in redhat web site, but only resulted unusable
runlevel 5, it needs some other cooperating package I guess,:(, but that's
another story...).

--yl

Jesse Pavel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,
:       I installed a new 17.2GB drive in my linux machine (kernel 2.0.35) and
: have been having problems with setting disk quotas. I followed the
: instructions in the mini-HOWTO (touch quota.user; chmod 600 quota.user;
: modify /etc/fstab; reboot) and the system boots fine, and everything
: appears to be all right; I can even run edquota to set the user quotas.
: However, when I run repquota on the new partition, it goes into an
: uninterruptable sleep (as reported by ps) and hangs--I can't kill it
: with kill -9. After that happens, anything involving quotas on that
: partition hangs into the uninterruptable sleep.
:       I have another partition with which I have been using quotas
: successfully for a long time; only this new partition (4GB) is giving me
: problems.
:       Does anyone have an idea, or experience with this sort of problem?

: I appreciate any help very much,
: Jesse Pavel
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: Getting Caldera 2.2 to Work
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:31:08 GMT

    Hi,

     I'm fairly new to linux and need a little push!

My System:

Compaq Presario CDS 924 (i486/DX)
Hard drive: Western Digital 6 gig
Memory: 45megs
OS: Win95/Caldera 2.2 dual boot with Boot Magic

Problem:  I realize that the initial install of the Caldera
kernal supports just the minimum system requirements and needs to
be recompiled to make everything work (like my sound card).  I
have no sound right now and my linux partition runs a lot slower
than my Win95 partition.
     I've found both limited/huge amounts of information on this
subject but what I really need is a numbered, step by step set of
instructions (based on Caldera 2.2) that will show how to recompile
the kernal and get things to work.  I would greatly appreciate any
help.  Thanks.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Mike McLennan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,sbay.linux,umich.linux,com.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Kernel will not boot.
Date: 05 Sep 1999 15:27:36 +0100

Craig Toshack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am currently experiencing a problem with a kernel  + modules I
> compiled.  I was able to create the .config file and run the folowing
> command:
>
> 1) make dep
> 2) make clean
> 3) make boot
> 4) make modules
> 5) make modules_install
>
> I backed up the original modules by renaming the directory and I did the
> same for my original kernel by renaming the link to vmlinuz.old.  I then
> ran "make zlilo" which is supposed to copy the new kernel image to the
> /boot directory and a number fo other things.

make zlilo by default copies the system map and kernel to /, you can
change the by editing the top Makefile and uncommenting the
INSTALL_PATH variable

> Next, I editied the /etc/lilo.conf file for the new kernel and ran
> /sbin/lilo -t -v to test the config for lilo.  It ther reports back that
> the kernel is too big.
>
> Anyone know what happens and if there is a fix.

Showing your lilo.conf file would probably help here.

------------------------------

From: Bruce Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I WANT TO DITCH WINDOZE BUT I CANT!!!
Date: 05 Sep 1999 10:08:44 -0500

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A> 2) A shared printer.  I have several machines on my home network, all
> A> Windoze, which share a central HP LaserJet 3100 printer over the network.
> A> I need to know if it is possible, and how to do, for a Linux machine to
> A> print to this printer which is served by Windows NT.  Is this Samba
> A> functionality?  Would HP need to make a driver specific for Linux for it
> A> to work?
>
>       The HP LaserJet should speak lpd -- your Linux box should be
> able to talk directly to it, except that the special HP print filters
> are only available for DEC UNIX (it is possible that you won't need
> them).  OTOH, your Linux box can run Samba and *replace* your NT print
> server -- your other MS-Windows boxes would talk to the Linux box as if
> it were your NT server and the Linux box can speak the lpd protocol to
> the printer.  *I* don't know if you can wire a print spool to Samba and
> use an NT server as a print server -- I've never don't this, *but* with
> RH 5.2, the printer control panel fusses that I don't have Samba
> installed and complains that I might be unable to do some print setup
> options (I have no MS-Windows boxes on *my* network, so I don't need
> that functionality).  At UMass where I work, all of the print servers
> are UNIX boxes on one flavor and all of the MS-Windows boxes run NT and
> use Microsoft's LPD services to speak to the UNIX print server, which
> talks to the printer via lpd (or LAT on the older printers, now
> retired).

Your Linux machine *can* print to a printer installed on a Windows
server.  Install Samba on the linux machine and configure the Windows
machine to share its printers with other machines on the network.  I
have the only Linux machine on a Windows network and print to a
variety of printers hung onto a single Windows machine.  BTW, the
laserjets are great printers.  They have good Linux support and, for
the larger printers (ours are Laserject 4 pluses) can reliably print
large print jobs.

--
Bruce Schultz

From: Brad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help. Installing software and connecting to the net.
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 00:53:06 +1000

I have just installed Redhat 6.0. The documentation I am using says that
to connect to the net I should use... "The KDE PPP cnnection tool, found
in the KDE menu under 'Internet' .....".

I have looked in the menu structure and it's not there. So my guess is
that if the thing is not there, then I didn't select it during the
initial install of Linux. And if that is the case then here is my
question. How do I install things like this? Things that I didn't
install when I first installed Linux. Can I re-run the setup? What do I
do?

Brad

------------------------------

From: Utilisateur Red Hat Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: C programming
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:46:59 +0200

Hello,
I have read in the K&R something about conversion that i don't
understand:
if an int is coded on 16 bits and a long in 32 bits;
-1L<-1U because 1U has become a signed long
and
-1L>-1UL because -1L has become an unsigned long
thnak you for helping.

Benjamin
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter Deutsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: how can i start non-root programs at init?
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:58:21 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How do I set up the init-scripts so that some programs / daemons etc are
> run under a certain user's uid instead of roots uid? This has to be done
> before the corresponding user logs in.

If set the Set User ID bit the program will execute as the owner of the
file, not the user invoking the file, which is what you want. Check out
'man chmod" for details. Be warned, if you do this, make sure the file
can't be written to by others, or it's a wide open security hole.

                                - peterd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Kohler)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,sbay.linux,umich.linux,com.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 5 Sep 1999 14:56:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Craig Toshack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I am currently experiencing a problem with a kernel  + modules I
> compiled.  I was able to create the .config file and run the folowing
> command:
>
> 1) make dep
> 2) make clean
> 3) make boot
> 4) make modules
> 5) make modules_install
>
> I backed up the original modules by renaming the directory and I did the
> same for my original kernel by renaming the link to vmlinuz.old.  I then
> ran "make zlilo" which is supposed to copy the new kernel image to the
> /boot directory and a number fo other things.
>
> Next, I editied the /etc/lilo.conf file for the new kernel and ran
> /sbin/lilo -t -v to test the config for lilo.  It ther reports back that
> the kernel is too big.
>
> Anyone know what happens and if there is a fix.

Are you using Red Hat 6.0? I have had problems with the lilo that came
with that. It wouldn't take any kernel that I compiled, but liked any
prebuilt ones, even non-Red Hat compiled ones. Get the source for lilo
and rebuild it(Even the same version is ok, the binary you have is the
culprit).

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: David Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I've got a PCI Winmodem...
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:45:40 +0100

In article <7qpg3u$5s3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alan Ingham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes

>Jimmy Lio wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>The PCI Winmodem is giving me headache... No matter how I configure my
>>chatscript, the modem just doesn't seem to know how to communicate...
>>
>>I have heard that Winmodem is "partly" software driven... The fact that
>>it works on Windows is that the Windows system provides a virtual
>>machine that emulates some of the tasks a regular modem does... Am I
>>right...
>>
>>If this is the case, is there anything I can install on my Linux box to
>>make the Winmodem works?
>

>It seems that you and I have both fallen victim to this ******* winmodem
>trend. I must admit to feeling quite embarrassed that I didn't even bother
>to check this out before buying the thing. I don't even see what the point
>in winmodems is, anyway. I only bought this because it was cheap and was
>internal (because I didn't want extra wires trailing all over the place).
>
>If I'd been told this in the shop I bought it from, I wouldn't be bitter
>about it. Mind you, revenge is sweetest when it's served up cold - I've not
>seen that particular shop open for the last 2 months.

What modem's are we talking about here?

I've just bought a V.90 Fax Modem from Microcomputer Research Inc.,
which I specifically bought on the say-so of the sales bod, who assured
me that it would work with linux.

Have I inadvertently purchased a yellow citric fruit?

David Mitchell             =====  A life spent making mistakes is not only
================================  more honourable but more useful than a
[EMAIL PROTECTED] =====  life spent doing nothing. - GBS