Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 12:04:09 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie

Lizard wrote:

> OK, finally managed to get Linux (Redhat 6.0) installed on my PC *and*
> seeing my SDSL line (the last was the tricksy bit). Ah, at last! I shall be
> free of the eternally crashing Windows OS and the tyranny of Chairman Bill!
> Liberty shall be mine!
>
> Er...maybe.
>
> First off, I must be some sort of God of System Failure, as 'crashproof'
> Linux bombed on me with Gatesian frequency. A few samples:
> a)When I installed my ethernet card (using linuxconf). It nicely installed,
> and I could then 'ping' anywhere I wanted, proving I was on the net, DNS
> was working, etc. Tried to launch Netscape. Nothing happened. Tried some
> other apps. Nothing happened. Tried to logout (this is all under Gnome,
> BTW). Nothing happened. No windows could open, it seemed. Finally had to do
> a power-down to get out of it.
>
> b)Installed 'metacard' (a hypercard clone) off the Redhat applications CD.
> Tried to run the demo. My screen went black and my mouse decided to move to
> the lefthand side of the screen without my hand being on it. Charming.
> Again, power-down was the only solution. (I did get the application to run,
> but I've been afraid to try the demo since then.)
>
> c)Not quite a  crash, but several times, when I have tried to go to a page
> that 404s under netscape, netscape just closes down. Charming again. (Go to
> the Linuxberg page, go to Gnome software, go to Newsreaders, click on the
> first one, it's the only 5-penguin product. Try to go to the home page.
> Kaboom!)
>
> d)A few other crashes, I forget the circumstances. Rather than the robust
> he-man operating system I was expecting, I find I am terrified to do
> anything, for fear of having to reboot yet again. (At least when Windows
> crashes, it displays a dialog box TELLING you it has crashed. Linux just
> sits there, taunting you.) (I know, I know, "I kept my Linux box running
> for 14 months and it only stopped because the local power plant exploded."
> But let me guess -- it was running as a server, happily chugging through a
> limited set of routines. It didn't actually have a real human being
> pounding on it, running dubious shareware, mucking with config files, etc,
> did it? Aha. Didn't think so.)

I suspect a lot of your problems are due to Gnome.  Gnome (at least as shipped
with Redhat 6.0) is still  beta and should never have been made the default
desktop.   Try KDE.  It is stable and has much more function.   Just type
switchdesk from an xterm and select KDE.  The next time you log on KDE will be
your window manager/desktop.

> Now, on to software. First off, has anyone thought of putting in the
> INSTALL text file words to the effect of "you better untar this from /,
> otherwise, you'll end up creating a zillion useless directories where you
> don't want them because there's no way to tell tar to go to the root to
> start?" Apparently not. Do not assume your users intuitively know where
> software is 'supposed' to go, especially if they've been trained on OSes
> that don't give a damn.

I try to avoid tar files and use rpm instead.   rpm files are available for
most packages.  There are a number of  nice GUI front ends to rpm including
kpackage for KDE.

> First task, of course, is to find a decent newsreader. It appears there
> aren't any, at least if I want to use something a little more
> sophisiticated than trn, tin, slrn, or other 'cat walking on the keyboard'
> inspired names. Those were lovely in 1980. This is almost 2000. I couldn't
> find anything under X to compare with Newswatcher on the Mac or Free Agent
> under Windows. Ditto, nothing to match Eudora for mail.

I've been using Netscape, but KDE has a nice newsreader called krn.  From the
KDE start menu select  Internet->News  client.

> Of course, of the software I did find, I couldn't get any of it to run. I
> attempted to install Doom (shareware version) and Gnomehack (A gnome-
> enabled version of nethack).
>
> Doom:Untarred it into my home directory. Discovered that it really wanted
> to be untarred from the root directory. Tried to copy it there, found out I
> had to BE root to copy it to \, su'ed to root, tried it again, untarred it,
> tried to run it...got some random 'file not found' error.
>
> Gnomehack:More-or-less the same phenomenon. Addendum:The INSTALL file for
> nethack tells you that, when you're done, to just type 'nethack' and play!
> Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you the nethack executable is buried in the
> src directory. It also didn't work.
>
> Thus far, this has been inauspicious. I'm not giving up -- I know most of
> my problems are due more to newbie cluelessness than OS problems, and I
> intend to dive in to man pages, documentation, etc, in order to figure out
> what I'm doing wrong. But there's plenty of people who won't make the
> effort, and, if you REALLY want to unseat Chairman Bill, you've got to
> think about them.
>
> A few suggestions, mostly random:
> Why the SMEG does X write output to STDOUT when you can't SEE it until you
> leave X? At the very least, the user should have the option of all error
> messages being written to an X Terminal visible on their desktop. There's
> nothing like shutting down X and seeing a screenful of error messages which
> would have been a lot more helpful to know about WHEN I GENERATED THEM!

Most likely if X starts, then those messages are not particularly important.
You can redirect stdout and stderr to a file when starting X.

> If you are going to have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen, make sure
> the applications know it is there. Maximizing Netscape hides the taskbar,
> for example. For that matter, clicking on the various task buttons (like,
> to bring up one of my terminals) just plays a pretty 'boing' sound. I have
> to manually minimize windows to find the one I want. So what's the point?
> (Maybe some error message was displayed...on the text screen I can't see
> 'cause I'm running X!)

Yeh, I found that annoying with Gnome.  But KDE does it correctly.

> Is it just me, or is X rather, uhm, sluggish? I have a PII 400 and the
> whole GUI felt like it was running in molasses. Is there some 'trick' to
> speeding it up?

I have a PII 400 and have no performance problems with KDE.

> 'Samegnome' is disturbingly addictive.
>
> Directories do not need version names, especially for enduser apps.
> 'FooBar1.01-45A-intel-linux-2.0' is a *stupid* name for a directory. (Or a
> file, for that matter). Since the Macintosh, which also permits very long
> file names, is NOT afflicted with this sort of nonsense, I don't see why
> Linux has to be.

Installed file and directory names do not have these long names.  The package
files (tar or rpm)  do, but  it does provide important information.

> More rants as the situation warrents. BTW, how good is CodeWarrior as an
> IDE? I used it on the mac and loved it, and it's for sale cheap for Linux
> at my local CompUSA...recommendations/condemnations welcome.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Mars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Realplayer Error
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 23:49:38 +0800

I've just installed realplayer 5.0 but it won't run properly and
generate a core file. Here is the error message from gdb:

Core was generated by `rvplayer'.
#0  0x4017a4ef in ?? ()

Anyone have experience running realplayer under RH6 please comment.

Mars

------------------------------

From: Gaiko Kyofusho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: customizing enlightenment? (and separate intelimouse q)
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:33:35 GMT

Hi, i have a couple of enlightenment qeustions:

I was wondering how i can place more icons on my desktop and "assign"
programs to them?  and for the icons that are on there already how i can
 modify those icons?

Also setting eterm defualts, When i first used eterm it would randomly
(or it seemed random) give me different backgrounds but i tried setting
the font and after that it now gives me the same background every time?
and that is the only setting it seems to retain, i would like to make it
larger <larger font> and a few other things but it never seems to retain
the setting even when i "save settings".

Intelimouse:

I have a MS intellimouse and would love to use the wheel scrolling
features but mroe importantly would like to be able to use it as a
middle button but X (suse?) will not let me.  I am running suse 6.1 and
in sax i tried to select the intellimouse but it would lock up every
time i did.  It will only accept the ps/2 mouse selection.

any help with either of these problems would be greatly appricated.

                                       -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho

From: "Søren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: licq: wrong UDP version number
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 17:36:17 +0200

I Find out, that there is an Internet version of ICQ which my Licq
client supported. My problem is that my local ICQ-server (by Mirabilis)
is a groupware which does not work with the Internet ICQ. I will
persuade the network manager to change ICQ server.

Does anyone know about this?

regards Søren

------------------------------

From: "Johnny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:44:02 GMT

I have to AGREE - Mandrake rules - It seems the"admin" type prefers the
console - terminal - But for the GUI inclined - We shall all try Mandrake!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 08:35:41 -0500

Lizard wrote:

> OK, finally managed to get Linux (Redhat 6.0) installed on my PC *and*
> seeing my SDSL line (the last was the tricksy bit). Ah, at last! I shall be
> free of the eternally crashing Windows OS and the tyranny of Chairman Bill!
> Liberty shall be mine!
>
> Er...maybe.
>
> First off, I must be some sort of God of System Failure, as 'crashproof'
> Linux bombed on me with Gatesian frequency. A few samples:
> a)When I installed my ethernet card (using linuxconf). It nicely installed,
> and I could then 'ping' anywhere I wanted, proving I was on the net, DNS
> was working, etc. Tried to launch Netscape. Nothing happened. Tried some
> other apps. Nothing happened. Tried to logout (this is all under Gnome,
> BTW). Nothing happened. No windows could open, it seemed. Finally had to do
> a power-down to get out of it.

These are probably X problems associated with gnome.  When something
involving X hangs, try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  That should get you
out of X.   Also, while still hung, try Ctrl-Alt-F2.  That should
get you a simple terminal where you can login.  Then look to
see if there is a file .xsession-errors and what is in it.

Gnome has a history of being buggy.   This is the first RH Release
which makes gnome the default desktop.   If you get the upgrade
packages for gnome-core, gnome-libs, and enlightenment, you may
solve many of your problems.

It also seems likely that you should upgrade your netscape package.

Although RedHat is surely open to criticism, you should remember
that they are mainly packaging software provided (under the
Gnu Public License) from a variety of sources.  In each case there
are certainly going to be bugs, but because of the process,
these bugs will in almost all cases eventually be fixed.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing Windows with Linux is
that one seldom installs Windows on a fresh computer.  It is usually
provided by the manufacturer of the computer.  And the manufacturer
has gone to the trouble of debugging all the problems which might
arise with the hardware it provides.   If you install Windows
from scratch, you may very well have the same sort of problems
you describe here.  What should be compared is the stability of
the installed system after one has worked out all the bugs.
With Linux one has a fighting chance.   With Windows even
computer sophisticates may find it quite difficult.  That is
why Windows has a reputation for hanging.  Undoubtely in all
those cases one could in principle find out why and fix the
problem, but it is usually not worth the effort.  On every
computer on which I have installed both Windows and Linux from
scratch, I've had many more problems with Windows than with
Linux.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert B. Love )
Subject: Re: Conversions:  PDF, Postscript, etc.
Date: 5 Sep 1999 15:58:00 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Steve D. Perkins" wrote:
>       This may sound quite dumb... but I was wondering if any
> utilities exist in the Linux world for converting documents in
> Postscript, PDF, or HTML (particularly Postscript and PDF)
> between each other's formats?

There is an excellent program to make PDF from PostScript.  It
is called PStill and is free for non commercial use.  I highly
recommend it.  Try Frank Siegert's web site in Germany.  Sorry,
don't have the URL handy.  I find it works better than the pdf
tool in Ghostscript.

 Bob Love

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: Apache server not working on more than 1 site
Date: 5 Sep 1999 15:27:39 GMT

In article <7qmvqs$9ne$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi
>I have install Red hat 6.0. My default web site on Apache server is
>working and showing a Apache Test page. I wan't to makhe this server
>with multiple domains. If thru browser i try to access sites by IP
>address ,it shows same Apache test page on all IP address which i
>entered.
>Could anybody help me.Thanks in advance

Create a <VirtualHost> paragraph in httpd.conf for each IP number.
The VirtualHost directive is mentioned in the Apache Core documentation,
and expanded in separate pages about IP-based and names-based
virtual hosting.

Not a Linux-specific question, please note Followup-To.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Scott Prince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache Setup for Virtual Domains and UserDir
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:58:04 -0500

Rob wrote:

> This is what I would ultimately like to setup, it shouldnt be too hard, I
> think I am just running into some permissions issues.  I am using RH6 with
> Apache 1.3.1
>
> 1.  Setup UserDir so host.domain.com/~username works.  I have created a
> public_html directory and placed an index.html in the directory, but I
> always get "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /~username on
> this server." as an error.

First, the public_html dir must be within apache's document root. The
public_html dir and all the directories within it must at least be
readable by everyone. Note: User's home directories or anything else
that you don't want everyone to access should not reside within apache's
document root (use a symbolic link if you want to put the user's
public_html dir into the user's home dir). Finally your index.html and
all the other files that you want apache to serve must be readable or
you will get the Forbidden message. For cgi scripts, the cgi dir and the
script will need to be executable.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Randall Parker)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Shutdown Problem
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:24:25 -0700

Peter,

Aren't there temp files that need a place to be written? What if you have
only a local machine no remote mount you can write them to?

I think Linux should have an easier way to be configured so that the
updatable files do not share partitions with system files that are only
written at install and patch times.

Also, temporary scratch pad and log files should be easily configured to
go to a different partition than the one that holds configuration files.
Granted the configuration files get written to any time you add, say,
dialer entries or logical to numeric socket definitions (HOSTS file on
most OSs). But these files are not updated very often and should be on a
partition that usually has no uncommitted metadata changes. That way a
power failure would be far less likely to cause their loss as part of a
whole partition's metadata becoming corrupted.

In article <7q6tl3$eou$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Randall Parker)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:24:26 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:03:33 -0400, Alan Swartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >stan168 wrote:
>
> >> I was thinking if the user just want to turn off the power without
> >> doing a shutdown properly. Is there any way to prevent the checking (fsck)
> >> at booting time and data corruption?
> >
> >I'm curious: Why would you want to do that?
>
> One reason is to protect against power failures.

Exactly. Or some other hardware or software problem that causes a crash.
Not all crashes can be foreseen in advance.

> If we have /usr /usr/bin /sbin and the other read-only stuff on one partition,
> then we can mount this partition read-only and in the event of a power
> failure won't mess up these partitions.  To be honest, I haven't yet tried
> this idea.  But I think it is a good idea.

I keep saying that the installs ought to treat certain types of
directories and files as groups whose locations can be aimed at
particular partitions _as groups_.

ie be able to say "Put all configuration files on partition xyz" and not
have to know what are all the file names that are being moved there.

> On my system, I have /tmp in its own partition, /var in its own, /home in
> its own, / in its own, /usr in its own.  So maybe I should give it a shot.

I may be mistaken: Aren't there parts of Linux that write temporary files
in places other than /tmp?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Randall Parker)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:24:24 -0700

Alan,

People don't want to have data corruption. If you eliminate the need to
do fsck you must have, by definition, eliminated the types of corruption
that make fsck necessary in the first place. The main goal here isn't to
avoid the time needed to run fsck. The goal is to eliminate situations
where, for instance, the OS partition has to be restored from tape

IMO, the distribution installs ought to provide the option to tell them
to put the OS on a partition that will be read-only (except when being
updated), all the temp files on a different partition, and all the config
files (dialer files, hosts, etc) on yet another partition.

If the OS directory has no uncommitted metadata at the time of a system
crash or power failure (my cleaning lady has inadvertently circumvented
my UPS protection twice in the last 3 years btw) then it can't become
corrupted.

From: "Theo van der Merwe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scripts for web forms
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:36:18 +0200

How do I save the contents of a .html form (i.e. the field values contained
in the form) into a formatted text file? Normally one would press the
'Submit' button to send all the form information to an e-mail address. I
would like to send the information to a file using a client side script
(unless some other easy solution is available to save forms?).
Do you perhaps have an example of a simple client script, with e.g. text
fields in
the .html form, showing how to access the controls on the form and save the
contents to a formatted file? Would the script be compatible with Netscape
as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Theo ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John T Maguire)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:50:07 GMT

On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:22:09 GMT, "Keith Blakemore-Noble "
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On or around Sat, 04 Sep 1999 22:07:03 -0500, Paul E. Bell wrote
>something about "Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution"...
>
>> now if I could get the guys at work to pronounce GIF as "jiff",
>> rather than "giff"...
>
>Argh, nooo!!!
>
>It's Gif, not jif!!
>
>(Unless, of course, one chooses to pronounce "graphic" [the first word
>in "gif"] as "jraphic", perhaps? :) ).

The creators of the gif format insist it's `jif'

How's your Omega?

John T Maguire
http://www.DockSquare.org - your gateway to Kennebunkport,Maine
http://www.docksquare.org/webcam/  The Kennebunkport WebCam

------------------------------

From: Armin Steinhoff <Armin@Steinhoff_de>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: 4 Sep 1999 13:15:25 -0700

In article <7qrou1$a1m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Juergen Fischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>x-no-archive: yes
>>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linus Torvalds) wrote:
>>
>>> Sure, teh QNX microkernel is pretty uncrashable. But have you ever asked
>>> yourself why? Maybe because it doesn't do all that much.
>>
>>hello Linus, how much of change would the kernel need to get it
>>sheduling a la QNX and Kickstart ?
>
>And we would like to have that exactly why?
>
>Somebody ported lmbench to QNX, and preliminary results show QNX having
>rather worse scheduling latencies etc than Linux.  I don't think you
>realize how many people have NOT used QNX, and as such there's a lot of
>things that people just take for granted rather than actually have any
>proof for.

Ditto ... where are the numbers :-) ?

   Armin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 09:33:33 -0700

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 01:37:34 -0500, Kelly Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Two things:
>
>1.  Expect lots of personal attacks.

        While the fellow was short on some key details, he at
        least had some general ones such that most of us shouldn't
        automagically presume him a troll.

        Yes wilbur, some of us actually put some rationale behind
        who we decide to flame.

[deletia]

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com