From: K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:16:04 -0700

[snips]

In article <7r16ji$ec7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> K. Bjarnason ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : > tar -C / -xzvf foo.tar.gz
>
> : Now, now, let's not be silly.  Compare this to a typical Win9x
> : distribution.  (Speaking here of installable end-user apps, not data
> : files, etc.)
>
> I suppose you're not talking about downloading and compiling source, then?

I'm playing end-user here; of course not. :)

> You know, if you had a clue about any of this, you'd realize that it is
> usually source that is packaged in tarballs.

Golly gee, like I didn't know that.  I also happen to know that out of
the times I've downloaded apps for Linux that weren't part of the
distribution package they usually came as... source.

> Debian and RedHat have
> developed some nice package management systems for installing compiled
> applications.  If a user is scared of decompressing and untar'ing a file,
> how do you think he'll feel about compiling it?  He'd best stick with
> packages.

Indeed.  Now, of the package systems available, which is the standard
one?  Or even three?

> I haven't used Debian's system (I've heard great things about it), but
> I do know that RedHat's is very simple.
> rpm -i packagefilename
>
> (that's "i" for "install," can your Windows user handle that?)
>
> or for a prettier display
> rpm -ivh packagefilename

WTF?  What's ivf?  Something wrong with shipping the app ("package" if
you prefer) so that you can run _it_?  You know, like I just downloaded
"LinuxApp 1.09", so I have a LinuxApp1.09 file which is, itself,
executable and simply clicking on it will run the installer?

Yes, yes, *you* like command-lines and switches.  So do *I*.  About 98%
of the desktop users out there do NOT; they want it point-and-click
easy; compare your method above to "click on setup.exe or the .EXE file
you just downloaded."

> Of course, now you have the power of a real package management system, so
> you might have to learn some other commands.  For example, you can
> clearnly remove packages, query to see what packages are installed, query
> a file to see what package it belongs to, upgrade a package, or even,
> with a single command, go through a directory (local or on an ftp site)
> and upgrade all the packages that already on your system, ignoring the
> other package files.

Seen MSI?  Guess not. Let me give you an overview.

Install designer packages things up in discrete components (help, core
executables, support files, etc, etc).  All these are packaged into one
nice, easy to use file, typically.

End user clicks on said file, and up comes the install.  The basic
install asks about 3 questions, including license acceptance, does it's
thing, all is done.  If the user chooses "custom" install, he can select
the various bits and pieces of the app individually.

Not good enough?  Okay.  How about this?  The administrator can also run
that same installer, albeit with a command-line parameter.  Now he can
do things such as defining what the user can and can't install, and
which bits are advertised - essentially, added to the client install
database in such a manner that they don't suck space until they're
actually used, then they're installed on demand.

The end-user, however, is largely oblivious to all this; he just clicks
that there file, answers those same three questions, and voila, done.

Want to see what's there?  Simple; there's a standard location for
accessing application uninstallation and configuration settings: control
panel/add remove programs.  Let's take a peek, shall we?  Let's try MS
Office 2000 as an example.  One might whine "but that's MS; not a fair
comparison!" except that most MSI-based installs follow the same set of
guidelines; the one I'm developing at the moment differs from the MS one
only in one significant manner: the application being installed.

So, anyhow, let's look.  Repair Offce.  Add/Remove Features.  Remove
office.  Repair is there in case someone else's install went blooey and
trashed something - it knows what was previously installed, how it was
installed, whether install-on-demand has fired for any components, and
refreshes the actual installation on disk the way one would expect.

Add or remove features is much like it sounds; pick the bits and pieces
you want or don't.  Take, oh, Word.  You can uninstall the whole thing.
Or just the help.  Or the help and the wizards.  Or individual wizards.
Or however you want.

Not enough?  How about selectable "run locally" or "run from network"
options?  How about "install on first use" - recover disk space for
infrequently used features, by uninstalling them and only reinstalling
when you actually need them - if ever?

Keep in mind, all these options are menu selectable and changeable at
any time.

Also keep in mind that while MSI is not currently widely used - most
major apps are getting prepped to roll out MSI-based installs sometime
shortly after Win2K finally ships - the differences between this and
exising methods aren't all that significant, except that existing
installs typically only have an "uninstall" option from the control
panel.

> Oh yes, if you're afraid of command lines, there are GUI frontends, too.
> I haven't messed with them, though, as I can use my keyboard.

As can I.  As can most folks with functioning fingers.  What some folks,
such as you, fail to recognize is *why* GUIs are so popular.  It's not
that people can't use keyboards.

A computer is a tool to most people, not a hobby.  Most people do *not*
want to fart around learning 803 different command-line switches and
trying to remember which apps they're used with.  Most folks want a
nice, simple, point-and-click interface complete with standardized menu
locations, commands and so forth for common tasks.  They want this
because they want to be able to install, run, and if necessary uninstall
their tools - word processors, spreadsheets, whatver - without *having*
to know how the system works.

The problem with your view of things isn't that command lines are
inherently bad, it's that you don't seem to comprehend that *not* every
user is also a developer.  Many users want to *use* the machine, not
have to understand it - that's *our* job, as developers.  We're supposed
to make the machine as nearly invisible to the user as we possibly can.

Is Windows perfect in this regard?  Not hardly.  It's simply about 8
million times better than command-line based approaches.  Apparently
some of the *nix folks are getting that message, too, since GUI design
seems to be a big push, and non-GUI but still menu/and/mouse driven
apps, installers, etc, are becoming more prevalent.

> Or, you can just use the Windows approach: "Application foo crashes every
> time I load it, saying that there's something wrong with bar.dll.  I
> tried un-installing and re-installing foo, but it still does it.  I
> wonder where bar.dll came from?  I guess it's time to wipe Windows and
> begin re-installing everything."

The only time I've ever had that problem was when the dll file was, in
fact, corrupt - usually because I had a drive crash.  Mind you, that
hasn't happened in, oh, 4 years.  So how does Linux handle that?  Does
Linux contain code that can magically rebuild dynamicly-loaded modules,
presumably by analyzing what the calling application thinks they should
do, then re-writing them on the fly?

Oh, I see.  Linux *doesn't* do this any better than Windows, so you're
simply spewing for the sake of making noise.  :)

------------------------------

From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:03:27 -0500

"Robert M. Cosby" wrote:
> 8< Snip >8

> When I teach pure novices I go right down to the concept of 1 and zero
> why that applies to something like RAM. I do it a bit (ahem) at a time
> and do my best to avoid technobabbel. Example:
>
> On a blackboard (or a whiteboard) I draw a lighted lightbulb. I stand
> with it over my head. "Bob has an idea." I erase the glow from the lamp
> and stand under it. "Bob doesn't have a clue. Can we all agree this is
> true? Great. We've just created a standard we can all agree on."
>
> I agree with Joe that teaching some of the basic concepts first helps
> later. I still run into customers who try to run data files not
> associated on their systems. True enough once they are associated they
> won't care. But the concept is important.

I have used FileTypes and WhatIs.library in conjunction with BrowserII
on the Amiga, and nothing on the PC comes close.  With WhatIs.library
and FileTypes I can define file types based on the content of the file,
not just the extension.  As an example, on the PC, there are .inf files
which contain information for drivers for the system, but I also program
in a language called Inform, who's files end in .inf.  With the system I
have on the Amiga, I can associate the .inf Inform source files with an
editor set to Inform mode (for syntax hilighting), and those Windows
.inf system files will still be identified as such (should I care to put
them on my Amiga).

On the PC, there is no mechanism to define a file which happens to have
been saved in text mode with the extension .html as being plain text,
based on the lack of an HTML header in the file.  The file will
automatically be loaded into whatever program is associated with it, nor
do I have the choice to override that choice when I right-click on it
(once associated, Open With disappears from the menu and Open appears).
I have no choice but to find the program I want to open it and load it
from that program.

Both systems could benefit from an arrangement where a number of
programs could be associated with a number of files, and clicking on a
file brings up a menu of those programs to view/run/edit the file with.
Windows could benefit by being able to look in a file for clues as to
what is in them.  A gif that was saved by a browser for offline viewing
may actually be saved as a UUENCODED file, but not be known as such by
the system.  On my Amiga setup, unless I tell it to go solely by the
suffix, it will determine what type of file it is from the contents of
the file.

Granted, these are addons, but where are they on the PC?

> When I drive a car I don't ponder the differences between four-stroke
> engines and two-stroke engines. But having a  solid grounding in the
> theory of how an engine works has gotten me home after trouble erupted.

See my other postings regarding the car analogy.
--
Paul E. Bell    Email and AIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ifMUD: Helios | IRC: PKodon, DrWho4, and Helios
                      )

------------------------------

From: Ray O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Solaris partitions, mounting as writable
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 13:24:06 -0500

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how (or even if) I can mount Solaris/X86 partitions
on my Linux box as writable?  I have a Redhat 6.0 system that also has
Win98 and Solaris 7 installed.  I can mount the partitions as readable
(using the UFS filesystem) but all attempts to mount them as writable
have failed.

Thanks,
Ray

------------------------------

From: K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:17:14 -0700

[snips]

says...
> K. Bjarnason wrote:

> > No, do NOT learn about "ps" and "kill" - ask the Linux community why an OS
> > presumably aimed at taking over from MS (according to many of the hypesters,
> > at any rate) can't handle something as basic as a point-and-click "kill
> > process" operation as easily as Windows does?
>
> Actually, (a) that's *not* what Linux was originally designed for, and (b) for
> those who are moving the design in that direction, those sorts of features
> *are* becoming available (e.g., GNOME footprint --> settings --> Startup
> Programs --> browse currently running programs --> remove).

No, I know it's not what it was originally designed for, and note I
specified "hypesters" as opposed to the more clued-in members of the
community. :)

> > To a developer, certainly - but *not* to a user.  The user doesn't give a
> > damn if he's running 1.01-45A or 1.20.39B, other than to know he's running
> > the latest and greatest version - which he gets because someone hands it to
> > him, or he has seen the product's website and has seen "Version foo just
> > released!".  He certainly doesn't care about the "intel" or "linux" part.
>
> I suppose a user running the app on an alpha with FreeBSD might have reason to
> care.

Not in the *slightest*.  Why?  Simple: he presumably downloaded the
package targetted for his machine.  Why he needs to be reminded of this
in the app's directory name I have no idea.  Doesn't he *know* it's an
x86 box running Linux, not a 68xxx running MacOS?

> > For a *developer*.  Who cares how messy things get on development systems -
> > we're used to it, and we want it that way, because we can keep track of
> > things.  For users, "AppDemo" should exist in exactly one place, presumably
> > called "AppDemo", so the user doesn't end up with 53 copies of old versions
> > lying around sucking up space for no reason, and he knows, when he goes
> > browsing, exactly what a given directory belongs to.
>
> Ever looked at an average user's Windows disk to see what kind of junk files
> are lying around?

Yup.  As someone who has been developing installation (and
uninstallation!) procedures almost exclusively for about 2 years now,
I'm *very* aware of what's involved, and where the shortcomings are.

A typical application installs four things:

1) Core application binaries (.exe, .dll, etc) and associated files
(help and so on).

2) Shared files (usually non-system DLLs which are common to several
apps, but don't go in the system directory)

3) System DLLs

4) Config files.

In a typical installation, after uninstallation, what's left behind are:

1) Any shared files marked as used by more than one application

2) Any system files marked as used by more than one application

3) Any config files not actually created as part of the install process,
or which are explicitly not logged by the installer for uninstallation.

Now, 'tis true, some folks don't quite get all that right, but there's
usually, from all but the worst vendors, very little dross left behind,
or even installed into weird places in the first place.

Of the things which are typically left behind, they are left behind for
good reason - so that uninstalled app X doesn't kill app Y by removing
DLLs X installed updated versions of, but Y relies on for operation.

I don't know if you've read up on the Win2K installer service.  Needless
to say, I have.  It's quite nice in its way.  For one thing, it becomes
much simpler to write installs which uninstall clean.  For another, it
vastly reduces the "DLL hell" problem - which never really was a problem
except for amateurs who can't get the simplest of installation
procedures right (sigh).

I'm not sure how Linux handles dynamic linking, but would be interested
in it if you happen to know.  Suppose I install 10 apps, each of which
uses "dynload.bin" - i.e. the same dynamically loaded image from the
same vendor, even possibly of the same version.

Do Linux installation guidelines require that all instances of this file
go into a common location?  Or do they just get installed in the
application directory?  If the latter, is Linux's binary loader smart
enough to recognize that it already has a copy of dynload.bin loaded,
and link any subsequent apps to it, or does each app get its onw loaded
copy of the file, out of its directory?  What sort of impact does this
have on memory footprint?

> You're ignoring the simple fact that computers are capable
> of very complicated behavior, and the only way you'll ever make operations
> easy/intuitive/etc. is to limit them severely.  Linux is for people who *don't*
> want such limits.

However, home users, by and large, don't _want_ to know about this sort
of stuff.  As developers, sysadmins, etc, you and I and others like us
do, but Granddad and his ilk want to see as little as possible of any of
the underlying workings.

As I see it, Linux, while moving towards supporting such users, isn't
quite there yet, at least from what I read.  To be the MS-killer so many
seem to want it to be, I think it's going to have to get there.  Time
will tell. :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terrance Richard Boyes)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:52:34 +0100 (BST)

Uffe Holst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In an article of  6 Sep 1999 Guy Macon wrote:

>  > >>  JF> x-no-archive: yes

[snip]

>  > I think that it's the first N lines. (3? 8?)
>  >
>  > This is because some newsreaders don't allow you to put what you choose
>  > in your headers, and some newsreaders don't allow you to put what you
>  > choose in the first line or two.

> As far as I know the header and the body is separated by an empty line.
> Unless your news reader explicitly allows you to add custom headers, it
> will always add an empty line between the actual header and what you write.
> The first line of your text is in no way considered part of the header.

True, however Deja (and at least some other systems that use
X-No-Archive:) will look at the top of the body because of the
issues detailed above.

I don't know if they spot an embedded (eg quoted) line though.

--
<URL:http://www.pierrot.co.uk/>                                  Team AMIGA
The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Sweet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Getting Caldera 2.2 to Work
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:33:00 -0800

Go to COAS in the "Kde" icon on the bottom tray, click on Kernel. Then in
the left window, scroll down to sb for sound module for example, click on it
and then click on Load. It may complain about something, so do it again.
This time it will work; also I had to click on Probe for the correct
settings (you'll see this window).
The comfigure your system sounds with COAS/sounds (I think that's correct,
I'm in Windoz98 right now), click Enable, then guess what??? Re-boot or
nothing happens. After re-boot, so into the /COAS/System/sounds and select
your sounds.
Other modules are loaded in similiar fassion, I think.
Wayne
Richard LeNoir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 05 Sep 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >     I'm fairly new to linux and need a little push!
> >
> >My System:
> >
> >Compaq Presario CDS 924 (i486/DX)
> >Hard drive: Western Digital 6 gig
> >Memory: 45megs
> >OS: Win95/Caldera 2.2 dual boot with Boot Magic
> >
> >Problem:  I realize that the initial install of the Caldera
> >kernal supports just the minimum system requirements and needs to
> >be recompiled to make everything work (like my sound card).  I
> >have no sound right now and my linux partition runs a lot slower
> >than my Win95 partition.
> >     I've found both limited/huge amounts of information on this
> >subject but what I really need is a numbered, step by step set of
> >instructions (based on Caldera 2.2) that will show how to recompile
> >the kernal and get things to work.  I would greatly appreciate any
> >help.  Thanks.

> >                  http://www.searchlinux.com
>

> Unless you are just interested in compiling kernels, the way way to get
your
> system up and running is simply to load the modules that you want to run.
That

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: Hotmail anyone?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:08:15 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Well, maybe I'm still a little groggy...  Doesn't hotmail run linux for
> some of its stuff?  If the breakin was a linux issue then it belongs
> here.....
>
> Yan
>
> > Did you check slashdot?  Why are you asking here?  This isn't
> > alt.hotmail.breakin.current-events.
> >
> > --
> > rich jankowski
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I was under the impression that it ran solaris...?
Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sylvan Butler)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Wrong time setup?
Date: 6 Sep 1999 21:38:02 GMT

Jack Zhu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:03:23 -0400 wrote:
>RH6.0

>My PC dual boot with NT 4.0 svr and RH6.0, time setting in NT has no
>such problem, the BIOS setting is also right.

That means the hardware clock is set correctly to your local time.

Look in /etc/sysconfig/clock and make sure that it knows you are not
using GMT or UTC.  What does it say?  If you change it, then shutdown
and restart.  Now OK?

sdb

--
Do NOT send me unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE)!
Watch out for munged e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: "Joe Mammy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: wu-ftp problem
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:11:22 GMT

Andy,

Did you attempt any procedures for securing FTP? I mean like did you attempt
to keep users from being able to cd above their home directories? I've had
it happen where I added a user and FTP'd to the server. Then after I tried
to set up secure FTP, I couldn't because of the problem you're having.

I can't remember which step it is, but if you followed some of the really
really old man pages that practically suggest editing a users record in
/etc/passwd, or if you didn't create a group correctly for the ftp users
then add the real users correctly, or if you fail to list the files and
groups correctly in associated places - or some mixture of all of the
above - you'll get the bad password error message when you try to FTP in. If
you can login via tty and telnet, then the account is ok on the server - it
probably has to do with your FTP setup.

I've attached below a part of a paper I originally followed to get FTP
secured. Check each step carefully. The man pages and HOWTO's are lacking
for some of us. Try the procedure below *step-by-step* with a test user
account from scratch. Substitute testuser for billybob.

***

Setting up a user (billybob) so that he can ftp in, and ends up chroot'ed in
his home directory (because he keeps threatining to take the sysadmin possum
hunting). The system he is on uses shadowed passwords, so that's why there
is an 'x' in billybob's password field.

First off billybob needs a properly setup user account:
[excerpt from /etc/passwd]:
billybob:x:500:500:Billy Bob:/home/billybob/./:/usr/bin/passwd

this means that the ftp server will chroot billybob into
/home/billybob/ and chdir him into what is now / (/home/billybob to
the rest of us). The ftpaccess man file covers this bit ok, and of
course /usr/sbin/passwd needs to be listed in /etc/shells

Secondly for the ftp server to know that he is being chrooted he needs
to be a member of a group (badusers, ftppeople, etc) that is defined in
/etc/group

And then that group must be listed in /etc/ftpaccess
guestgroup ftpusers

This next part can be accomplished by doing something like:

cd /home/ftp
cp -r * /home/users_home_directory

Now you need to copy some libs/binaries otherwise billybob won't be
able to do a whole lot once he has ftp'ed in. The files needed are in
the "anonftp" rpm package (RedHat 5.1 ships with anonftp-2.5-1). Simply
rpm -i this in and the files will be copied to /home/ftp/lib,

OPTIONAL:
you will notice there is an etc/passwd, this is simply uses to map UID's to
usernames, if you want billybob to see his username and not UID, add
a line for him (ie copy his line from the real /etc/passwd to this one).
The same applies to the group file.

without "billybob:*:500:500:::" in /home/billybob/etc/passwd:
drwxr-xr-x   2 500      500          1024 Jul 14 20:46 billybob

and with the line added:
drwxr-xr-x   2 billybob 500          1024 Jul 14 20:46 billybob

and with a line for billybob's group added to the group file:
drwxr-xr-x   2 billybob billybob     1024 Jul 14 20:46 billybob

Billybob can now ftp into the system, upload and download files
from /home/billybob to his hearts content, change his password
all on his own, and do no damage to the system, nor download
the passwords file or other nasty things.

----

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward Westin)
Subject: DosLinux: resizing loop device possible?
Date: 6 Sep 1999 22:30:55 GMT

I installed DosLinux a while ago and have found it to be quite excellent.
When I originally installed it the setup asked how much hard disk space I
wanted to give it.  Not knowing the quality of the distribution, I went
small (75megs) and now am running out of space.  Is there a way of
re-sizing the size of the file (loop device?)?  If not is there a way I can
re-install this and save my work of over a month customizing it?  Any
recommendations would be much appreciated.

From: "freddy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Blaster Awe 64 PCI card
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:35:03 +0200

How can I configure my Sound Blaster Awe64 PCI Card ?