From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Bash not running executables
Date: 8 Sep 1999 21:02:32 GMT

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:02:45 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having a similar problem. I wrote a quick-and-dirty "Hello World" perl
> script.  I can run it just fine with
>
> perl hello.pl
>
> but if I try
>
> ./hello.pl
>
> the shell tries to run it as a bash script and throws up. I checked the
> file perms for execute.  The first line of the script is
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> and I verified that perl is indeed at that path. I'm at a loss.  It's no
> big deal to invoke perl explicitly to run my scripts, but it bothers me
> that the "#!" notation does not seem to work properly.

You touched the file with Windows, didn't you?

That would be very very naughty.

Remove the ^M crap in the file and it should work fine.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fsck after power failure
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:31:15 GMT

You need to be very wary of this. Any version of Windows not using NTFS as
the filesystem is liable to do weird things with the partition map.
Essentially, this is because they expect DOS to be able to use the HDD. But
DOS ignores the partition table and uses its own data (stored somewhere at
the beginning of the disk, as I remember). I have had this problem myself.
The only real way to be sure to address it without wasting disk space is to
use a non brain dead fsck (i.e. Linux' fsck) to partition the disk, then
install Windows on the freshly created partition.

Duncan.

Daron Kallan wrote:
> RE: DiskDruid, IDE drives and partition overlap
>
> Jim,
>
> As a newbie myself, I am hardly one to offer advice, but I did encounter
> similar problem.  I have had a few system lock-ups where I have been
> forced to reboot without a clean shutdown, and Linux has always done a
> good job of recovering (with the below exception).  Fsck usually deletes
> few dateless i-nodes and goes merrily on its way.
>
> However, one time I had a lock-up and fsck was unable to repair the disk
> due to massive partition corruption.  I tried manually, but fsck still
> encountered too many errors to repair, even interactively.  After a half-
> hour of defaulting each prompt, I gave up and reinstalled.  This was not
> long after installing Linux.
>
> My suspicion is that the problem was not caused by the lock-up, but
rather
> that the problem was with the partitioning on the IDE drive.  More
> specifically, I believe that Windows and Linux were thrashing each
others'
> partitions.  I initially [re]partitioned the drive using DiskDruid.  The
> drive is an IBM Deskstar 22GB UltraDMA, and there was a pre-existing
FAT32

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:09:05 -0500

Jon Skeet wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > You keep talking about "the PC" as if there's only one operating system
> >
> > And you as though "IBM clones" are the only thing that can be
> > called a PC.
>
> Touche. I think most people here know what someone means when someone
> says "PC", however - and that *doesn't* mean "machine running Windows".

Speaking of which, quite a few of the recent news articles regarding the
goings on at Amiga have been refering to the Amiga computers made by
Commodore as "PCs", interesting world.  I always regarded any computer
that could be reasonably used at home a PC (as in Personal Computer).
This would include the Atari ST, Macs (old and new), the Amiga, the
Acorn, etc.

As for what people here _know_ that "PC" stands for, there has been an
ongoing debate about that, too.  At this point, having the letters "PC"
stand for "IBM Personal Computer or compatible" is tantamount to O.J.
Simpson's claim that the letters "O.J." could only be used to refer to
him, not to Orange Juice (except that IBM registered "PC" before it
became common useage, while "O.J." was registered after millions of
Americans and hundreds of advertisments were using it to refer to Orange
Juice).

Oh, well.
--
Paul E. Bell    Email and AIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ifMUD: Helios | IRC: PKodon, DrWho4, and Helios
                      )

------------------------------

From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:54:48 -0500

"Jeffrey C. Dege" wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:47:18 -0500, Paul E. Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Well, let's look at it this way: I have bought 3 books, each over 2
> >inches thick, on Win9x, and do not have the time to find things like
> >this (shift-right click for context menu with Open With in it), nor can
>
> Well, on my Win95B (with IE5) system, the shift-right-click bit does
> _not_ bring up a menu with "Open With" as an option.
>
> Is this something that was added in Win98?

I have Win95 OSR2(B?) with IE4, and that menu option is there when you
shift-right-click.  I don't know why your's doesn't.  Then again, I have
an OEM release
Win95(4.00.950 C) and
IE 4.0 (4.7s.2106.8)
as if that should matter.

By the way, this only works in Windows Explorer, not in an IE window.
--
                      )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Y. Chang)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER Install Problems.
Date: 8 Sep 1999 20:27:32 GMT

A Guy Called Tyketto ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:       On the contrary, it DOES work with 2.2.* kernels. It has been
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: working, ever since 2.1.119. From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes:

Mine does not work well.  You have to shift-1 click to save the link
than open it as a file, or else you will get no sound.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Stephane Morand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fd open limit?
Date: 08 Sep 1999 13:17:29 PDT

Hi, I run a 2.2.11 linux kernel on my database machine.

I'd like to increase the number of open file.

I know that I can change it in fs.h, limit.h but this is ambigous.

Can anybody give me some tips or informations?

Thanks!

--

Stephane

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:44:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote on Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:13:55 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:16:04 -0700, K. Bjarnason
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Yes, yes, *you* like command-lines and switches.  So do *I*.  About 98%
>> >of the desktop users out there do NOT; they want it point-and-click
>> >easy; compare your method above to "click on setup.exe or the .EXE file
>> >you just downloaded."
>>
>> Then they shouldn't be using Linux.
>>
>> Repeat after me:
>> Linux is not windows.  Linux is not Windows.  Linux is not Windows.
>
>Silly me; I thought Linux was being touted (by the hypsters, at least)
>as the Windows Killer - the latest and greatest desktop OS for the
>masses, the one that'll wipe MS out (or at least give them some
>competition).
>
>Nice to know the hypesters are just that - full of hype.

Agreed, on both sides.

I see Microsoft surviving for 20 more years...if not even longer.
They aren't going to go away quietly or soon; they are dominant
on the desktop and will probably remain so.  (IBM isn't dead yet.)

If something horribly disastrous doesn't happen (e.g., every
Microsoft computer -- 95, 98, NT -- crashes on Jan 1, 2000 because
of some mutated variant of the Michaelangelo, Melissa, or other
virus, or a dead parrot [*] shorts out a critical power line in Redmond,
thereby creating a bug in MS Word 2001 that ultimately
destroys everyone's documents), Microsoft will continue to be the
OS of choice for many users and developers who are not sophisticated
enough to see the virtues of Linux, or who are sufficiently
sophisticated, but do not need those virtues. (Not everyone,
after all, requires a 24/7 highly-reliable operating system,
especially on consumer-level equipment that gets power-cycled
on a nightly basis.)

And that's as it should be! There's no reason we can't coexist,
as long as standards are met (which, for Microsoft, may be a bit
of a problem :-) ).

However, Linux isn't going to go away either. This means that
everyone wins; those that want Linux will get a quality operating
system, and those that get Microsoft will get a quality operating
system, because Linux will eat Microsoft's lunch if Microsoft
doesn't improve their quality.

And FreeBSD wins, too; they're even more reliable than Linux, as
I understand it -- they're just very very quiet about it.

BeOS, NeXTStep, Solaris, QNX, and other operating systems
can also jump on the bandwagon, each with their own special
powers -- and weaknesses.

And the philosophically-minded (such as myself) will be able
to answer some fundamental questions about GUIs, APIs, and OSes,
by comparing and contrasting the competitors, and the other
operating systems being created in such locations as academia
and Vladimir :-).

Despite all of Microsoft's efforts, Windows will not die. :-)

[*] See http://www.accesscom.com/~daveh/sean/monty/dead.txt
    for one of presumably many web pages detailing this sketch.

From: "Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tabs in emacs
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:53:17 -0400

Bart Vanherck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a little question about tabs in emacs.
> How can I simply convert all tabs in a document in spaces ?

Mark a region you want converted (if whole document: M-<, M-> will do it)
then:

C-x untabify

Art S. Kagel

------------------------------

From: Rob Nafus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Getting Error to many open files
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:57:45 -0700

Know how to fix this in Solaris.  How to I up the amount of
open files Linux Red Hat 6.0 can have?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:17:46 GMT

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:54:48 -0500, Paul E. Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Jeffrey C. Dege" wrote:
>>
>> Well, on my Win95B (with IE5) system, the shift-right-click bit does
>> _not_ bring up a menu with "Open With" as an option.
>
>By the way, this only works in Windows Explorer, not in an IE window.

I never use Windows Explorer, I pretty much stick to the desktop
windows (which are actually drawn by the same app, but you know
what I mean.)  The s-r-c works on icons inside the Windows Explorer,
does not within icons in normal desktop windows.

For the life of me, I can't see why there would be a difference.

--
Nearly every electrical engineer believes deep in his heart that he
is better at writing computer software than any computer programmer,

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Viechtbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: xfs on Redhat 6.0
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:26:14 -0500

> Not need a TTF server ?

xfs IS a font server (which can handle TTFs as well).

=========================
Wolfgang Viechtbauer

From: Rob O'Connell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice and Postscript
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:54:39 -0500

Hi all...
well being a unix fan I also love postscipt, pity the only good
postscipt editor is Adobe Illustrator (hopefully there is one
I haven't seen, tell me if there is..and pstoedit doesn't really
cut it...unless maybe it works with StarDraw???)

does anyone have any ideas about whether staroffice will ever
edit postscript (or even display!, I inserted  ps files into Draw
and the presentation thing and the on screen display was
terrible, ie no ghostscript just epsi like scummy MS)

when will linux/unix ever get good presentation/graphic editor
that supports postscript?!!  I've heard the company Island has
this for AIX but doesn't have it for linux....

someone give me some good news on this!

cheers,
Rob

--
Rob O'Connell - Plasma Physics, 1150 Chamberlin Hall, Madison WI 53706

------------------------------

From: "J. Seth Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Subject: Ssamba weirdness (nmbd errors)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:21:40 -0500

Hi everyone,
Has anyone seen the following errors from nmbd?

[1999/09/08 12:54:36, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(240)
find_response_record: response packet id 34009 received with no matching
record.
[1999/09/08 12:54:36, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(1412)
  find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
34009

The /var/log/log.nmb file is full of these, and I don't know what caused
it. Samba had been running fine for a month, then started doing this one
night. The only thing we have changed is the addition of switches to
replace hubs. Both client and server side work, but the logs fill up until
nmbd prints them to the console instead.

We do have an NT5 beta machine on the network, but it didn't cause
problems before. I also removed, then reinstalled Samba.

We are using RedHat 6.0 with samba-2.0.3-8.

Thanks,
Seth Henry

From: "Ron Ruble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: acurate timing
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:04:50 -0400

Steve D. Perkins wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> Is it possible to know the time spent by a process into the processor
>> with a better accuracy than jiffies (100 jiffies in one second)?
>
> I hate to sound ignornant, but is that REALLY a technical
>term?!?  I had always thought that a "jiffy" was just slang for a
>very quick period of time....

No, it's a technical term. And, in DOS programming
at least, mouse speed was measured in 'mickeys'.

Silly but true.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Subject: Re: glibc and netscape
Date: 8 Sep 1999 13:46:02 -0500

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Cosby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:54:17 -0700

"Paul E. Bell" wrote:

<snip>

> As for what people here _know_ that "PC" stands for, there has been an
> ongoing debate about that, too.  At this point, having the letters "PC"
> stand for "IBM Personal Computer or compatible" is tantamount to O.J.
> Simpson's claim that the letters "O.J." could only be used to refer to
> him, not to Orange Juice (except that IBM registered "PC" before it
> became common useage, while "O.J." was registered after millions of
> Americans and hundreds of advertisments were using it to refer to Orange
> Juice).
>
> Oh, well.
> --
> Paul E. Bell    Email and AIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ifMUD: Helios | IRC: PKodon, DrWho4, and Helios
> (I'd put my webpage here, if it had anything on it.)
> _____   Pen Name/Arts & Crafts signature:
>  | |  _      \   _   _    |/ _   _(
>  | | (_X (_/`/\ (_) (_`   |\(_) (_) (_|_) (/`
>                       )

It's just common public usage. I don't think IBM ever tried to put a
hammerlock on the term "PC" legally. It's just that their first computer
was the "IBM PC" and it stuck. It's easy to forget that personal
computers were considered hobbyist toys until IBM introduced their
computer and "legitimized" microcomputers as the real item in the minds
of the public at large. Of course owners of Apple ][ and PETs and Z-80
systems et al were rightfully miffed but hey... Just remember the public
has decided it will celebrate the Millenium a year before it will
happen.  8^D

Coz

------------------------------

From: Jan Houtsma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound for non-root users?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:25:26 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i'm having some trouble getting sound to work on
> my red hat 6 machine.  well, i can get it working
> fine while running as root, but not with any other
> user account.
>
> while trying to enable sound support in
> enlightenment (dr15), i get the message 'unable to
> communicate with Esound.' (or something to that
> extent.)
>
> once again, everything works fine while running as
> root, but once i log in as a normal user, it
> doesn't.  any suggestions?

check if your sound devices in /dev have write permissions
for users.  By default in RH6.0 they were only writable
for root. So do a chmod 660 or whatever.

e.g. on my box for soundblaster 64 value:

jan:/home/jan/> ls -al /dev/sdb
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  16 May  5  1998 /dev/sdb
    ^^
    !! writable!

b.t.w. this also applies to the modem device etc. etc.

jan

------------------------------

From: Allan L. Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Q? - best combo of linux distrib and apps for 3rd world
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:00:17 GMT

I am looking for the best combination of distribution, configuration and
office productivity apps with the following goal.

- Reasonable performance on 486-33, 16 MB Ram, <400 MB HD.
- All software free.
- apps appropriate for NON-Technical end users need to do wordprocessing,

spreadsheet, email, web browsing, and callandering.
- apps not dead (ie: old versions with no future or new development)

I am doing this as a pet project to see if it is feasible to use linux
and linux available apps to distribute to non-profit workers in 3rd world

countries where $$$ and hdwr are scarce.

I am currently testing on 486-100 AMD, 20 MB Ram, 500 MB HD.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada