Linux-Misc Digest #269, Volume #24               Tue, 25 Apr 00 12:13:15 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Config Internal Modem on Mandrake (Alexis Bilodeau)
  Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused (Alexis Bilodeau)
  Re: Kernel Panic: can't find init! (Munge)
  Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused (Bill Simpson)
  Re: Can I securely disable password screen (xdm)? (Jonathan Mendez)
  Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused (Michael Hofmann)
  Re: Could MS 'Buy' Linux? (Lincoln Yeoh)
  Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Setting CMOS time/date? (Kok-Hong)
  Re: News server recommendation ("Andreas Barth")
  Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Linux Problem (Lim Kian Tee)
  Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused (Steffen Kluge)
  Re: About Linux booting? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  mystery cron message (Alan Needleman)
  Re: Linux Problem ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: ATI Rage 128 and RH6.2 ("Robert L. Ayers")
  Re: Q: Best printer for linux box? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE
SIG **)
  Re: pine and roadrunner (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Q: Printing at 720x720 with Epson Color Stylus 440? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IRQ Search (Mircea)
  Re: About Linux booting? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: LILO does not boot to Windows98 (John in SD)
  Red Hat 6.2 -- worth upgrading? (Neil)
  New machine advice (Neil)

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Config Internal Modem on Mandrake
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:02:21 GMT

Richard wrote:

> I have just installed Linux mandrake but could configure my internal Modem.
> Help will be appreciated

In order to get efficient help from here, you should provide your
modem's brand and model.
Is it a winmodem?
--
Alexis Bilodeau
eMagiK Technologies

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: remote printing: lpr: connection refused
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:05:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am trying to set up printing from local to remote over ethernet, both
> running RedHat. Remote has a printer connected directly.
> Printing directly from remote is fine. But when I try to print from
> local to remote using printtool (test page), I get:
>
> Error printing test page to queue lp
> Error reason: lpr: Connect: connection refused
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon
>
> I am not sure what the problem is.
>
> On remote, I created /etc/hosts.lpd. It has the contents:
> abc123.gcal.ac.uk
>
> (abc123 is the name of local)
>
> On local using printtool I have
> Name: lp
> Spool directory: /var/spool/lpd/lp
> File limit:0
> remote host:abc124.gcal.ac.uk
> remote queue:
> input filter:*auot*-LaserJet 4
>
> I didn't know what to put for remote queue. Is this the problem? How do
> I know what to put here?
>
> I thought that maybe my hosts.allow and hosts.deny files might be
> preventing an internet connect to remote. I altered these to allow
> any connection, and still got the same error message when trying to
> print from local to remote.
>
> What is wrong and how to fix?  Thanks very much for any help!
>
> Bill Simpson
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
Since your remote is directly a printer, you shouldn't write anything in
remote queue.  This is used when you print on a print server, i-e a
computer which run the print daemon and has a printer attached to it.
--
Alexis Bilodeau
eMagiK Technologies

From: Munge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic: can't find init!
Date: 25 Apr 2000 12:07:19 GMT

Thaddeus L. Olczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I just installed Mandrake 7.02
: and I keep getting the above kernel panic when I boot.
: Since it is a brand new installation, I figure it has something to do
: with some way that I configured linux. Any ideas?

I assume you're booting with lilo. Try booting it like this
"linux root=/dev/hdxx" where xx is the drive and partition
of your root ("/") filesystem. Example hda3, a=first IDE drive,
third partition. If that doesn't work take note of the boot
up messages and look for the phrase "VFS: Mounted root (ext2
filesystem) readonly." and anything around that.

You can back scroll using the left hand shift and page up keys.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:37:52 +0100
From: Bill Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Since your remote is directly a printer, you shouldn't write anything in
> remote queue.  This is used when you print on a print server, i-e a
> computer which run the print daemon and has a printer attached to it.
I don't understand this reply. I do have a print server:

I have computers A and B.
I the printer is connected directly to A.
I want to print from computer B via A.

I listed B in A's /etc/hosts.lpd.
On B, I said it would print remotely on A.

So far as I can tell I have set things up to work properly. I did
something similar with Slackware a few years ago and had no problems.

Are you saying my problem is that I have not given a name to
"remote queue" in printtool? If so, how do I find out what name it is
supposed to have?

Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Mendez)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: Can I securely disable password screen (xdm)?
Date: 25 Apr 2000 13:12:34 GMT

Unfortunately, (at least if your running lilo), I don't believe your box will be
secure if it is physically accessible without supervision, as all one person has
to do is choose "linux single" at the lilo prompt to get root access and do from
there whatever he should want.  I'm still a semi-newbie, but I was asking my
roommate about security during my 'introduction' period, and I wanted to set up
many nifty security features, and he told me plainly "well unfortunately, if
someone has physical access to your computer, all they have to do is reboot and
login single and it's too bad for you."  I don't know if this affects non-lilo
running systems.
-Jonathan

------------------------------

From: Michael Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:16:27 +0200

Bill Simpson wrote:

> I have computers A and B.
> I the printer is connected directly to A.
> I want to print from computer B via A.
>
> I listed B in A's /etc/hosts.lpd.
> On B, I said it would print remotely on A.
>
> So far as I can tell I have set things up to work properly. I did
> something similar with Slackware a few years ago and had no problems.
>
> Are you saying my problem is that I have not given a name to
> "remote queue" in printtool? If so, how do I find out what name it is
> supposed to have?

I used to have the same scenario, and although I had specified the
remote queue, I could not get it to work. I tried everything I could
imagine, posted to NG's, reconfigured, deleted and reestablished all
relevant config files, you name it. No go. This went on for 3-4 months.
I didn't need the remote printing capability, I just wanted it to work
to learn about networking and for the fun of it.
Eventually I downloaded LPRng and ended up installing it on my client. I
spent 10 min reading the docs and 5 min for hacking in the printcap.
Bingo. There it goes, happily printing away over the net.
I suspect some obscure bug in the stock lpr package, especially so
because this problem comes up here every few weeks. I may be wrong; but
anyway, LPRng is so much easier to get to work.
If you decide to go this way and can't find the package, there's a link
on my homepage:
www.qsl.net/dc1rn -> comps

Good luck,
Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lincoln Yeoh)
Subject: Re: Could MS 'Buy' Linux?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:29:14 GMT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:43:25 +0100, Richard Phillips
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My question though is, could MS effectively destroy Linux by buying it's
>various contributors out, were it not for the current climate of court

Not really.

However they could in theory put windows on top of the nonXwindows Linux
system. Somewhat like Apple and OS X.

They basically replace DOS 7.0 with Linux. Shouldn't be immensely
difficult.

I think the stuff that works both on NT and Windows 9x would be able to run
on such a platform.

That way they don't have problems with the GPL, they just run stuff on top,
which you still have to pay for.

Trouble with that is that would:
1) Take substantial resources from their dev teams
2) Be bad PR for their current O/S (Microsoft dumps their O/S for Linux..)

The latter is probably what stops them. They would lose substantial
credibility (and thus marketing capital, and remember marketing is quite
important here ;) ). If they could put a spin on it so that it looks like
they're just expanding support for their apps, it might be different, but
it doesn't look easy to "spin".

Cheerio,
Link.
****************************
Reply to:     @Spam to
lyeoh at      @[EMAIL PROTECTED]
pop.jaring.my @
*******************************

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:18:28 GMT

> On local using printtool I have
> Name: lp
> Spool directory: /var/spool/lpd/lp
> File limit:0
> remote host:abc124.gcal.ac.uk
> remote queue:
                ^^
the fix:        lp

> input filter:*auto*-LaserJet 4
>
> I didn't know what to put for remote queue. Is this the problem?
YES
> How do I know what to put here?
I still really don't know! I tried lp as a sheer guess, and it worked.

Bill

From: Kok-Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting CMOS time/date?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:30:02 GMT

Try this:#/sbin/hwclock --systohcStewart Honsberger wrote:>>> {sigh} I've seen this
before, but passed it off as trivial information.>> I'm using netdate to grab the
date/time from an NTP server, but it only> sets the date/time under Linux, not the
CMOS clock. How does one go about> setting the CMOS clock with the values present
under Linux?>> Any help is appreciated! TIA!>> --> Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
@ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply
privately)> Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.2.14

From: "Andreas Barth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: news.software.nn,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: News server recommendation
Date: 25 Apr 2000 09:56:43 GMT

On 24 Apr 2000 23:03:06 GMT, bill davidsen wrote:
>| 2. A web page interface to the same server for users that do not have NNTP
>| clients

>  There are a few open source products out there which do this, I don't
> have the names handy but I could find them.
> ================> BUT
> I don't know of any web browser which doesn't support NNTP, so this is
> an odd requirement. Oh, wait, LYNX or some such is a text-only browser,
> got many people running VT100 terminals for browsing? Didn't think so.

lynx _does_ support nntp. But I know firewalls who don't allow
nntp-connections.

Andi
--
  My users get their dirty pics on the web, and use Usenet for what it was
  originally intended.                 Brian Edmonds in news.software.nntp

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Apr 2000 13:38:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:> On local using printtool I have
:> Name: lp
:> Spool directory: /var/spool/lpd/lp
:> File limit:0
:> remote host:abc124.gcal.ac.uk
:> remote queue:
:                 ^^
: the fix:        lp

:> input filter:*auto*-LaserJet 4
:>
:> I didn't know what to put for remote queue. Is this the problem?
: YES
:> How do I know what to put here?
: I still really don't know! I tried lp as a sheer guess, and it worked.

Why don't you know? The remote queue is the queue you want to put
your job in on the remote machine. If it has printers lpA, lpB, lpC,
then you choose one of those names here.

Usually, lp on any machine will be an alias pointing to one of its
printers, the default one.  I see that you are defining your alias lp
above to be a remote printer. So where's the magic?

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:48:25 +0800
From: Lim Kian Tee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Problem

I  forgot to mention that I installed my Linux on the logical drive of an extended
dos partition. Could this be the cause of my "permission denied" message? Just making
a wild guess.

Kian Tee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Date: 25 Apr 2000 13:35:41 GMT

Bill Simpson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Are you saying my problem is that I have not given a name to
>"remote queue" in printtool? If so, how do I find out what name it is
>supposed to have?

Yes, you must give both the print server name and the printer
name for remote printing. If the print server is a Unix box
running lpd the printer name is simply the name of one of the
machine's print queues (surely, you must have print queues set
up on the print server since in your original post you said that
printing directly from the print server worked).

A source of slight confusion may be the use of ghostscript on
both machines. You basically have two options here:

Either
  use ghostscript *only* on the print server, define the printer
  on the client as a remote PostScript printer and use as remote
  printer name whatever queue you have set up on the server to
  invoke ghostscript;

or
  use ghostscript on both, select the appropriate ghostscript
  driver on both but define an additional "pass-through" queue
  on the server ("text printer" will do). Use that queue as the
  remote printer name on the client.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About Linux booting?
Date: 25 Apr 2000 13:39:19 GMT

OrangeDino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Does Linux still have limitation that the root partition should be
: within 1024 cylinder of a hard disk for bootup from hard disk?

It's never had it.

: Thanks for your concern!

Please unconfuse yourself, and you'll concern me less.

From: Alan Needleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mystery cron message
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:58:48 -0400

Hi,

I get the following message from the cron daemon regarding cron.weekly.

Read file error: ./rec.1 No such file or directory

I just have the standard cron.weekly from RedHat 6 and can't see where
this comes from. Any clues appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Apr 2000 13:55:13 GMT

Lim Kian Tee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I  forgot to mention that I installed my Linux on the logical drive of an extended
: dos partition. Could this be the cause of my "permission denied" message? Just making

No.

: a wild guess.

Please quote your original. Usenet is neither sequential nor reliable.
(in many senses :-).

From: "Robert L. Ayers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.list,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 and RH6.2
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:07:41 -0400

I have three ATI video cards:

    ATI Mach 64 (real old)
    ATI 3D Pro Turbo PC2TV
    ATI XPERT 98

and I have had various problems with ALL of them on different operating
systems (Windows 95, 98, NT, Linux).  Typically, the problems I have
encountered involve the OS installation software not correctly
auto-detecting the chip-model, and then installing the wrong software for
it.  Perhaps the auto-detect software is not working correctly, or perhaps
ATI's different video cards have subtle differences that are not completely
detectable (or maybe a little bit of both.)

In any event, the best solution seems to be to select "generic VGA" during
the OS install's, and when finished, then install the latest, correct driver
from ATI.

Check out ATI's home page for the latest software:

http://www.atitech.com/

Good luck.

Robert L. Ayers

news:3901a76b$4$ovryyvat$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: Q: Best printer for linux box?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:59:41 GMT

In article <8d5ulv$ud5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Can somebody recommend a printer?

Thanks for the informative replies, everybody! It was hard to choose
between Epson and Lexmark; Lexmark was somewhat more highly recommended,
but the printers seem nearly interchangeable if you 1) trust
ghostscript, and 2) trust Epson.

In the end I bought the Epson Color Stylus, and it's working pretty
well for me. The original problem, a jamming sheet feeder, appears to
be solved. Also the printer was cheap: $70 after rebate for a factory
refurbished printer (incl. all shipping, handling and taxes).

The only problem remaining is: has anybody gotten their CS 440 to
print at 720x720 resolution? Everything's fine at 360x360, but at
the highest resolution the printer just starts spitting out blank
sheets. Ghostscript problem? Printer problem?

Len.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Subject: Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:13:57 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kevin:

|> In all seriousness now, I believe that the problem is not that
|> Microsoft is evil.  It is that corporations wield an enormous amount
|> of power since they exist as legal entities with various rights.

Indeed, and responsibilities as well. They cannot on one hand run to agents
of the government about warez pirates with bootleg copies of their software
and then tell other agents of the same government to buzz off when asked to
comply with free market legal restraints. At the other end of the political
spectrum, the rightwing nutcases have no problem when ATF agents crash some
"known" drugdealing scum's party, but scream bloody murder when a kid is in
a virtual hostage situation and returned to his father by force of arms. It
is, in a word, inconsistent, edging toward hypocrisy.

|> Having the government "fix" this Microsoft problem via antitrust
|> doesn't fix the real problem.  It is only a matter of time until the
|> next evil company emerges.  And it will happen again and again.  And
|> there are already many evil powerful companies.

The *exact same argument* is ongoing over illegal drugs. Prohibition in the
US (Volstead Act) was a miserable failure; does that mean we should abandon
any government "interference" in a person's "right" to consume psychoactive
substances, or break other laws in pursuit of this liberty? The point's not
that everybody is happy about the war on drugs, or the history of antitrust
actions. If anybody's got a better idea, have at it. Just don't pursue your
goals through barbarisms like killing 168 innocent bystanders in a blinding
flash at a US Federal building.

[Snip...Excellent points about large organizations' tyrannical effect...]

|> I don't know what the solution is, and I'm not a lawyer.  I prefer to
|> stick to Java and other technical issues since that is my area of
|> expertise.  But I believe, personally, that antitrust is just a
|> bandaid on a nasty bleeding wound.  I guess we can continue to allow
|> the federal government to break up interests like Microsoft that go to
|> extremes.  But maybe there is another solution altogether - limiting
|> corporate power, limiting this dangerous legal status for companies
|> that seems to inevitably lead to corruption, destruction of democracy,
|> and concentration of power in the hands of a few.

You and I are in perfect agreement here. I am no more happy about having to
"waste" taxpayers' bucks hounding MS to live by a 1995 consent decree, than
having other bucks "wasted" in a cynical political fracas custody soapopera
played out on the streets of Miami and Washington. Neither of these were in
any fashion inevitable; at every step, there were plenty of options to have
a negotiated mutually agreeable *compromise* in place. It can be argued, as
I have, that MS *had* such an opportunity in place in 1995, but blew it for
the sake of monstrous corporate egos everywhere. How much of these failures
can be legitimately based on principle, instead of megalomania?

And to return briefly to the thread: The whole idea of patents, a worldwide
"protection" most civilizations support, is fundamentally based on the idea
that innovation must be protected *legally* from rampant greed. Whether the
avarice is strictly personal, or corporate, greed trumps the common good at
every turn, and socialized (legal) restraints appear the only recourse.

Don't blame the US Government totally. We are getting the government we all
*paid* for, in many more ways of "payment" than most want to consider.

How many of you reading this are less worried about large corporations that
are violating *your* laws, and more about *your* stock portfolio?

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pine and roadrunner
Date: 25 Apr 2000 14:18:31 GMT

Jan Schaumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> I am using roadrunner as the isp and my username for roadrunner
>> differs from the username (LOGNAME, &c) on my local linux box.  I
>> really don't want to have to change my local username to match
>> that of RR's arbitrarily created username and I would like to know
>> how to force pine to use the correct name since I cannot seem to
>> find a Reply-To: entry for pine.
>>

> Reply-to can be set up via "Setup->Config", but pine can also use
> another username (and domain) - check your ~/.pinerc file...

To further clarify, this can all be done inside pine.  Go to Setup,
Config, then scroll down to customized-hdrs.  There you can add
any entries you want to appear at the top of your messages.
You can either add a Reply-To:, or you can change your From:
by adding the entry 'From: You <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Q: Printing at 720x720 with Epson Color Stylus 440?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:08:00 GMT

I just bought an Epson Color Stylus 440. It works pretty well, but
I'm having trouble getting it to print at the highest resolution
(720x720). At 360x360, everything is fine. When I change the resolution
(and leave all other settings alone), the printer starts fiddling with
the paper but spitting it out blank.

Has anyone gotten the CS 440 to work at 720x720 under Linux? Any help
would be much appreciated.

Also, does anybody have a suggested gamma correction for color accuracy,
and suggested margin settings?

Thanks,
Len.

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ Search
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:18:59 -0400

Jonathan Mendez wrote:

> Does anyone know of a command or program that will give me a list of what IRQs
> are taken, and by what devices?  (..)

cat /proc/interrupts

MST

------------------------------

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:24:17 GMT

In article <8e4767$5m2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>OrangeDino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Does Linux still have limitation that the root partition should be
>: within 1024 cylinder of a hard disk for bootup from hard disk?
>
>It's never had it.

Yes it has.  Sort of.  The LILO boot loader commonly used with
Linux uses standard BIOS calls to read the things it needs off
the disk.  In the past, that meant that the kernel image, the
boot-block and the map file all had to be on cylinder 1023 or
lower on some machines.  With some BIOSes it just had to be in
the first 1G of the disk.

>Please unconfuse yourself, and you'll concern me less.

You're not helping things much.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you guys lined up
                                  at               for the METHADONE PROGRAM

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO does not boot to Windows98
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:26:09 GMT

Windows 98 will only boot from a primary partition on drive C:

The bulk of windows may be on another drive, but the boot record MUST
be on a primary partition on disk 0x80.  Thank Microsoft for this
arbitrary requirement, but they can't conceive than anyone would want
anything but Windoze on their computer.  <jab jab>

--John

------------------------------

From: Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 6.2 -- worth upgrading?
Date: 25 Apr 2000 07:27:47 PST

What do people think of Red Hat 6.2?

Is it worth upgrading?

--

Neil

From: Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New machine advice
Date: 25 Apr 2000 07:28:56 PST

I am thinking of buying a new computer but want to buy one
that was built with Linux in mind.

Any recommendations on new PC's?

--

Neil