From: Madhusudan Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Troubling problem with GNOME and UID.
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:18:56 -0400

Sorry about the binary and thanks for your response. The problem is
certainly more than just the generation of the core file. The menus and
toolbar do not start up and the poor fellow gets a blank screen. I will
look into the rcfiles and ask any further questions.

Madhusudan Singh.

------------------------------

From: Ed Ratcliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.sys.mac,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,rec.video.production
Subject: Re: Best video format for playback within a browser - linux, mac and pc
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:03:12 +0100

richiee rich wrote:

> I am putting together video clips to be played back thro' a web
> browser, possibly macromedia from a CDrom not from the web.
>
> I am seeking the best video format that is easily playable across three
> platforms, mac, windows and linux.

Maybe AVI? sorry I'm not sure

--
Ed Ratcliff
http://www.fastads.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Wesley Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: booting dos partition on a HTP366 drive
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:30:13 GMT

Currently, I achieve the "multiboot" effect of win98/RH Linux by changing
the "boot from" parameter in the BIOS. This is certainly not a good way to
do it, but I don't know how to do it otherwise. My problem resides on that
the win98 partition is on a 20 GIG HD using HTP366 UDMA66. Recently I've
only been able to make it recognizable through upgrading the RH Linux from
kernel 2.2.14 to 2.2.16-3. But I think linux won't recognize the 20 GIG
drive until it reach to the point where it load the modules... If I just
make a multiboot LILO by putting the win98 partition using

other=/dev/hde1
            label=win98
            table=/dev/hde
            map-drive = 0x80
            to = 0x81
            map-drive = 0x81
            to = 0x80

It freezes. My guess is since the module is not loaded yet, linux didn't
recognize the 20 GIG, then it freezes. But if after the module is loaded,
it's already booting to a linux partition... hence causing the "chicken and
egg" problem. Anyone have any idea? Below is a bit of my config

hda - linux partition (2GIG regular IDE HD) (boot from C in bios)
hde - win98 partition (20GIG UDMA66 using HTP366 device) -- this device is
a module i guess, just like the scsi HD... (boot from EXT in bios, while
EXT is set to UDMA)

my lilo.conf:

boot = /dev/hda
vga = 1
timeout = 50
linear
prompt
  default = linux-new
  append = "mem=128M"
  read-only
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
  label = linux
  initrd = /boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0.img
  root = /dev/hda5
  optional

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
  label = linux-new
  initrd = /boot/initrd-2.2.16-3.img
  root = /dev/hda5
  optional

other=/dev/hde1
            label=win98
            table=/dev/hde
            map-drive = 0x80
            to = 0x81
            map-drive = 0x81
            to = 0x80

Thanks for any help.

From: James Alan Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: alsa sucks
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:30:13 GMT

Glitch wrote:

> Is there any reason why once alsa is installed nothing can find the
> devices it creates, not even a copy command?  I can use the aplay
> utility to play a wav file and it works fine. I can save and restore the
> volume settings. But if I try to play anything in KDE NOTHING works.
> Everythin complains of not being able to open the audio device and I
> have no clue why.  It is making me mad. I did everything right and that
> is proven by the aplay util playing wav files just fine but KDE refuses
> to notice that I did anything with ALSA. What the hell am I supposed to
> do to get KDE to use the mixers ALSA installed?????  At this time kmpg
> only wants to use kmix and even with that it complains that it cant open
> it and to chmod a+rw /dev/mixer* but I did that and I got the same damn
> error.  What the hell does it want?
>
> thanks for any information
> Brandon

Ok lets start at the top.

First what Destro of Linux? What sound Card have you got?

Then maybe we can help you configure it with Alsa correctly.

Alsa is a great package written by many people to stop us having to shell
out money for Linux sound card drivers!

Saying "Alsa Sucks" is a little unfair on all those people giving their
free time on this project.

With respect its more than likely your configuration is at fault.

Regards,
James

JAB Computers Bristol UK

http://www.jabcomp.force9.co.uk/

From: "ostracus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:39:48 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cap'n) wrote:

> I'll admit I'm somewhat of a newbie to Mandrake Linux,  and this is probably a
> stupid question...but, I need the  answer.
>
> I just installed Mandrake 7.1 on my system in a dual boot with  Win98. My hard
> drive is in four partitions:
>
> Partition 1:  Win98 system files (1.5 GB) - hdc1 Partition 2:  Win98 programs
> (8 GB) - hdc2 Partition 3:  Linux Swap (133 MB) - hdc6 Partition 4:  Linux
> Native: Mandrake Distro (2.3 GB) - hdc7
>
> After I installed Mandrake and LILO, Linux is the first  boot option and loads
> Mandrake after 10 seconds,  unless I type Windows. I want to set it up so that
> Windows  boots after 10 seconds, unless I type Linux.
>
> What's the easiest way to change this in Mandrake? Or  if someone could point
> me to a Mandrake HOWTO Web link  for this, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!
>

> *** The Cap'n ****

If you want to go the gui way. Login as root. Type "linuxconf" in an  xterm
then select "boot mode". Then select "change default boot configuration". Pick
which one corresponds to your OS. Accept,accept,accept. Your now set.

------------------------------

From: "Alexander I. Butenko \(Microsoft MVP\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 03:39:13 +0300
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.sys.mac,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,rec.video.production

Well, if you are making a CD, then you may use some hungry formats :-) AVI
is good but hungry idea. A good idea will be MPEG1 which is industry
standard for VideoCD disks. It should be well supported on all platforms.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux takes up >5GB!
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:35:20 GMT

DeAnn Iwan writes:
> You must have asked the distribution to install a great many software
> packages in addition to the core "linux" OS.

No.  He just let the Corel install partition all of his 5G of free space.
He may have thought that it would install onto his existing Microsoft
partition(s) as if it were just another Windows application.

> To "uninstall" linux, simply run fdisk to return your linux partitions to
> free disk space.  if you installed LILO in the MBR and wish to recover a
> dos/windows MBR, run your dos/win version of fdisk with the parameter
> /mbr (eg, "fdisk /mbr").

Yes.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh no!
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:48:19 GMT

David Steuber writes:
> You must be compiling from source then.

No.  He's just using Debian.  I've also never had a library problem, and I
started with Debian 1.1.

> That seems to be the most reliable distribution method for Linux.

Second only to dpkg.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Help] LILO doesn't boot from SCSI disk
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:14:11 -0600

Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi all,
> I cannot get LILO booting from an SCSI disk. Can you give me some
> hints?
>
> This is the situation. I've just installed Linux Red Hat 6.2 on a Dual
> Pentium III machine equipped with:
> Mainboard: SUPERMICRO, SUPER P6DBE
> SCSI controller: Adaptec SCSI Card 29160
> SCSI disk: Seagate ST318436LW (17.5G)
> IDE disk: Seagate STS320430A (20GB)
>
> The IDE disk is only temporally installed, and it is going to be used
> only to hold data, no system files. All the system is installed on the
> SCSI disk. This is the partition table (generated with disk druid):

  I just went thorugh something very similar, moving from an IDE drive that
was used for installation/configuration to a RAID array.  You simply have to
enable the boot BIOS on the SCSI card, then put these lines in your
lilo.conf:

boot = /dev/sda   # overwrite MBR of hdc
disk = /dev/sda   # tell how hdc will look like:
bios = 0x80    #  the bios will see it as first drive

  Then, run "lilo", and you should be set.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conectiva Linux
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:47:58 -0400

Frank Arnold wrote:

> Conectiva Linux is possibly the most widely used linux in
> Latin America. (http://www.conectiva.com/) Anyone know
> where I could order a CD in the US?

1) Never heard of it
2) I wonder how many people actually have PC's, much less use Linux in
Latin America.
3) Stats that i've read indicate that TurboLinux is the most widely used
Linux in Asia & Latin America.  Where are you coming up with your claim?

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What distro comes with a boot manager (not LILO)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:49:44 -0400

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> So they're selling thesePCs that come preloaded with Win98 (personally
> I'd go for the refund and send the OS back in its shrinkwrap :-) and a
> friend of mine wants to  be able to dual boot to Linux with it
>
> "You need System Commander that comes with Turbo Linux" Not that I object
> to TurboLinux, but do any of the distros come with boot managers that'd
> work hand-in-hand with Win98?

No.  Most people want to work with Linux when they install Linux, not
work with windoze.

------------------------------

From: dana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cant return to xwindow?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:30:10 GMT

hello im a new user and still learning about linux. i was once able to use
the function startx, and i just went to shutdown something and went back
to like a windows dos prompt. when i use startx again it said that a
graphical error occured and waiting for x server to shutdown. how can i go
back to x windows mode again?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: where has the propaganda website gone?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:31:32 GMT

Oh, ok, thanks for the info. Shame that as I liked the original
content. Don't suppose you know what happened to Cuddletech at
www.cuddletech.com??? They seem to have disapeared also.

Joe

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Date: 29 Jul 2000 00:59:04 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:00:03 GMT David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You must be compiling from source then.  That seems to be the most
>reliable distribution method for Linux.

Not in over a year, actually.  Debian packages aside from a few
commercial things like RealPlayer or StarOffice, which I installed
using their installers.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can'r read DOS floppy on one machine
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:10:19 -0400

> We have 4 RedHat linux boxes that can read from the same DOS floppy on 3 of
> the 4 systems. But on the 4th system it won't read the floppy. The
> /etc/fstab has the same entry for the floppy unit on all 4 machines, as
> follows:
>
> /dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy      auto    noauto, owner     0,0
>
> Here's what happens. On the machine that we have a problem with we do the
> following:
>
> a) Log in as root
> b) cd /mnt
> c) mount floppy
> d) cd /mnt/floppy
> e) ls
>
> When we type 'mount' the floppy drive's light goes on while the drive
> mounts. But when we do 'ls' we get absolutley nothing except for the '#'
> prompt returned to us. Yet on the other three machines it works fine,
> listing the two DOS files that are on the floppy.

Maybe your fourth kernel is missing vfat support.  It must be different
from the others somehow.  Try rebuilding the kernel, being sure to include
vfat and IDE floppy support.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "dd" copy fails to copy errors
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 02:07:04 GMT

There were any number of copy-protect schemes used.  Most relied on
a sector or track that was in some way different from the standard
format, e.g., sector or track number outside usual range, different
sector size, etc.  The dd command assumes some sort of standard file
system so doesn't work on these diskettes.

One scheme for 5.25" flops actually used a laser to burn
a tiny spot on a particular sector so it would always read bad.
(You could see the spot if you manually rotated the floppy media in
the sleeve).  It was a licensed, patented process, not inexpensive,
so generally used only for expensive software, not games.

There was a DOS program named Copy II PC published by Central Point
Software which read the actual format and allowed making a backup of
most of the copy protected diskettes.  As I recall, it even had the
capability of adding a driver to overcome the laser burn scheme.

It was often easy to hack the program itself to just skip over the
"verification" that the original floppy was in the drive.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Frank Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:59:11 -0700

Sigh...
>From information published in the Linux today Newsletter

Did you check their website?
The reason you may never have heard of it is that they
do not seem to have much, if any, of a US presence.
That is no crime in the world village.
And I have connections in both Mexico and Central America.
Computers are hard to get but people in urban centers and
even NGO groups  working with the rural poor are getting online.
An internet cafe recently opened in Managua, Nicaragua, for
example; Nicaragua is perhaps the poorest country in CA.
Also there is a woman from here in Silicon Valley that has
been bring computers and training to a poor village in
Honduras.

I would still like to find a CD or two here in the US

Frank Arnold