From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mcclain)
Subject: Re: keymap or font mismat
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:04:21 GMT

Howdy Kenneth,
    I don't know what the other guy is using.
    For that matter I don't know what I'm using either.
How do I determine what char coding Linux is set to use?
How do keymaps, character codes, fonts relate?

TIA,
MiKe

-=> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote to ALL <=-

 KE> Whar about the character coding? Is it ISO-8859-1 for both?

 KE> Kenneth

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.31

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mcclain)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:04:22 GMT

Howdy Jean-David,
    Thanks for the explaination. That would never have occured
to me since the post that spurred my post was from
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (germany I think) and here in COLM.
Silly me I think that because I read COLM while under Linux
everybody else must also. Can we spell egocentric?
Thanks again,
MiKe

-=> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote to ALL <=-

 JD> His system is misconfigured because it is running the wrong software
 JD> (probably Microsoftware) that insists on using non-standard
 JD> character codes. These are usually related to Microsoft Word's
 JD> "Smart Quotes" feature which distinguishes between opening and
 JD> closing double-quotes and opening and closing single-quotes (` and
 JD> '). On my Linux software, the troublesome undefined characters are
 JD> rendered as question marks by Netscape, and silently suppressed by
 JD> some other programs.

 JD> --
 JD>  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 JD>  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
 JD> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
 JD> ^^-^^ 7:05am up 20 days, 15:32, 4 users, load average: 2.13, 2.11,
 JD> 2.09

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.31

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mcclain)
Subject: permissions
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:04:22 GMT

Howdy All,
    I thought I had permissions down, but guess I don't
because I don't know why this is happening on my
Slackware 7.0 system.
As a security precaution I recently changed permissions
on /mc a data partition to 600. Now I'm getting this warning
in the mail:

From: nobody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cron: cd / ; updatedb --prunepaths='/proc /tmp /solaris /deb'

find: /mc: Permission denied

Permissions of the pertinent files given by 'ls -l' are:
drw-------   7 root     root    /mc
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin     /usr/sbin/crond
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin     /usr/bin/updatedb
-rw-------   1 root     root    /var/spool/cron/crontabs/nobody

Since it's all owned by root, why the denial?

TIA,
MiKe

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.31

------------------------------

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.imap,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Flexible e-mail under Linux ???
Date: 18 Feb 2001 20:16:28 GMT

You should check out CommunigatePro from http://www.stalker.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: permissions
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:18:43 GMT

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:04:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike
Mcclain) wrote:

>Howdy All,
>    I thought I had permissions down, but guess I don't
>because I don't know why this is happening on my
>Slackware 7.0 system.
>As a security precaution I recently changed permissions
>on /mc a data partition to 600. Now I'm getting this warning
>in the mail:

>From: nobody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: cron: cd / ; updatedb --prunepaths='/proc /tmp /solaris /deb'

>find: /mc: Permission denied

>Permissions of the pertinent files given by 'ls -l' are:
>drw-------   7 root     root    /mc
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin     /usr/sbin/crond
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin     /usr/bin/updatedb
>-rw-------   1 root     root    /var/spool/cron/crontabs/nobody

>Since it's all owned by root, why the denial?

Because on Slackware systems, updatedb runs as 'nobody,' not root.  (For
that matter, I don't know any distribution that runs updatedb as anything
other than 'nobody.')

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Exiting programs.
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:23:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The only signal that can't be intercepted is SIGKILL.

And even that won't be delivered right away if the process is blocking
on I/O. This can make the process look like it's invulnerable, but
when the system call returns, the signal will be delivered, and the
process will die.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: Makefile troubles
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:23:28 GMT

* Robert Schweikert wrote:
> I am trying to write my very first Makefile and it is of course not
> working. I get the message
>
> Makefile:17: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> What in the world does this mean?

Usually this means that there is one or more " " where a tab should be
(\t).  Make expects rules to start with a tab instead of spaces.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

unless ($humorEnabled || $canDetectSarcasm)
        printf "Please add Smileys where appropriate.";

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:37:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:31:32 +0000
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Who cares about politics or government?
>> As far as I'm concerned most of the world
>> governments impose high taxes and do much
>> more than they should do "for the people".
>> Everything except law enforcement and the military
>> should be privatized and out of government
>> hands.  Then maybe things will get better.
>
>Two words. California electricity.

You confirmed his statement; the problem with California electricity
is that PG&E did not spend money to upgrade its infrastructure.
That's because PG&E wasn't allowed to raise rates to market value.

At the time of the deregulation, we had a healthy surplus of electric
power.  It's now a deficit, and PG&E is bleeding badly.

In other words, the goverment botched the deregulation by imposing
a price ceiling.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation.  TURN and
other such groups may see things quite differently. :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    It's a conspiracy of one.

------------------------------

From: Greg Trafton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnome+sawfish:  moving workspaces?
Date: 18 Feb 2001 15:39:19 -0500

Hi, All.  I've been using fvwm for a while and in fvwm you can cycle
through your virtual desktops by using control-right or control-down
(etc).

thus, in a 2x2 virtual desktop, I'd like to hit control-right to go to
the workspace on my right, control-down to go to the workspace below
me, etc.  I'd really like to be able to do the same thing in
gnome+sawfish.  is there a way to do that?  if not, does KDE allow
that?

I know I can explicilty select (in my defaults) a specific workspace
by pushing meta-F1 or some such, but I haven't been able to figure out
how to move around with control-arrow keys yet..

any ideas?

thanks!
greg

--
Greg Trafton
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:51:18 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter Hayes"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:23:23 +0800, "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Religion sucks.  All it does is gives man another reason to hate one
>> another.
>
> "Another" is the operative word.
>
> Religion, exploited as a source of power by the unscrupulous, sucks.
>
> OTOH, even in the cave, man was searching for a reason for his
> existence. That, and art, is what separates us from the beasts in the
                       ^^^
Not so. Read up a bit on the bower birds (especially the very plain
looking ones). Esentially they build bowers (constructions of some sort)
which are all pretty similar. They then decorate them, ech bird doing so
in a completely different style and with remarkable precision.

The female birds then select a mate based on the one they best like the
look of, which again vaires from bird to bird.

To me, that is art: a personal expression of what one individual likes.

There is very, very little which seperated us from the beast in the
field. It seems to me that what seperated us is not individual attibutes,
but a very large numkber of them together.

> field.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ksh script problem: pwd works differently for ksh then linux binary file
Date: 18 Feb 2001 11:03:43 -0900

Shai Kedem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>any other suggestions on writing a ksh script which will simulate pwd
>somehow in the right way ?

  1) Write scripts for sh, not ksh.
  2) If you simply *must* use something other than sh, use bash.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:55:25 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "jtnews"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Who cares about politics or government? As far as I'm concerned most of
> the world governments impose high taxes and do much more than they
> should do "for the people". Everything except law enforcement and the
> military should be privatized and out of government hands.  Then maybe
> things will get better.

I disagree. What about the welfare state? Safety critical public services
(eg Air traffic control*) etc?

* This is more of a problem in the UK than the US since the skies are
much more crowded due to a rather smaller quantity of it.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Y. Chang)
Subject: Re: init_module: device or resource busy
Date: 18 Feb 2001 20:58:10 GMT

Michael Heiming ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Fester wrote:

: > I'm attempting to install the linux driver for the Aureal Vortex sound
: > card, and when I try, it gives me the message:
: >
: > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/au8830.o: init_module: device or resource busy
: > Hint: insmod errors can be cause by incorrect module parameters, including
: > invalid IO or IRQ parameters
: >
: > I have no idea how to even begin solving this problem. Could somebody
: > point me in the right direction?
: >
: > --
: > -- Fester
: >
: > "I find it amusing that you addressed me as Jesus."
: > =================================================================

: Hello,

: you should start reading here (comes with the kernel sources):

: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt

: lsmod #see which modules are loaded in the kernel
: rmmod #unload modules
: modprobe #load modules (You shouldn't use insmod)
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These commands are good for finding out what modules are
causing trouble.  They are not much use for finding out what
the problem is with a module that is known bad.

To put it bluntly, this error message is caused by faulty
error handling in the module code.  It is a common message,
and some may be more familiar with:
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will
be shut down"

Read the message as this, and things will be a lot clearer.
If you want even a better explanation, check the kernel
mlist thread under ericchang and 3c507 to find some of my
comments and fixes on this issue.  Also note that my
kernel patch was rejected.  The short answer is that the
driver incorrectly sets the interrupt (ignoring the boot
string), and this ubiquitous message pops up when it fails
to get it back.  The problem is that the developer did not
notice that the register that he was trying to write to is
read only, unless you unlock it with a special sequence of
commands.  That sequence is also archived under the same
list (but not actually incorporated).

Good luck with your problem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Y. Chang)
Subject: Re: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
Date: 18 Feb 2001 21:04:36 GMT

M. Buchenrieder ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carsten Huettl) writes:

: [...]

: >Memory seems to be OK.

: Oh, really.

: >I have tested RAM with AMI DIAG 4.51

: Then it must be true, of course.

These kinds of problems are not always caused by bad memory.  They can
also be caused by bad firmware.  I had a problem with the TCP ring
buffer in one of the 3com drivers that was driving me nuts.  Aiee
Aiee Aiee Aiee, including during Samba sessions.  Turns out that an
odd internal document that the tech support guy did not know about
identified a bus contention effect with Buslogic SCSI cards.  Take
the SCSI card out and everything was OK.  I liked my SCSI card, so
I sent the board back to 3com and asked them to replace my ROM.
It worked fine (with the SCSI card) ever since.

------------------------------

From: Matthew HIll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: QT libraries
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:21:10 GMT

I'm having trouble getting qt libraries to install for what seems like a
simple reason.
In the INSTALL file it says to set the variable $QTDIR to the install
path in .profile, then logout so that the file is re-sourced.
The problem is that I have already done this and .progile reflects my
changes, but when I try to ./configure, the errmsg says that $QTDIR is
set to "" insted of what I set it to "/usr/local/qt". What should I do?

From: Vandenheede Bjorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: iomega hipzip
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:54:51 GMT

Hello

Has anybody been able to access a iomega hipzip?  If so, how did you
proceed?

TIA
Vandenheede Bjorn