From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reformating /
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:06:44 -0500

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> I am ( at present ) compiling the 2.4.1 kernel with jfs support built
> in. After I build the kernel I would like to reformat all my
> filesystems into jfs (except /boot )
> The problem is with a couple of filesystems ( in particular / ) which
> I cannot unmount. Can anyone suggest a way of modifying the /
> partition?

I do not know "the right way," but if I had to do it, I would write
2 backup tapes of what is on there and verify each of the tapes to
be sure that they are good. Two tapes because you never know.

I would then take a boot floppy with a reformatting program on it
and reformat / . I would then take the boot floppy and use it to
restore the / partition from the backup tape.

There is probably an easier way. You better be sure your
backup-restore program is on that boot floppy.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: permissions
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 02:11:42 GMT

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:41:27 -0500, Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Mark Post wrote:
-snip-
>>(For
>> that matter, I don't know any distribution that runs updatedb as anything
>> other than 'nobody.')

>Here's one: VA Linux Systems' version of Red Hat Linux 6.2 (VA
>6.2.3):

>valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/updatedb
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     slocate         7 Jan 22 18:03
>/usr/bin/updatedb -> slocate
>valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/slocate
>-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     slocate     20880 Dec 18 12:16
>/usr/bin/slocate
>valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

This doesn't mean that the updatedb job runs as root, just that the
executable is suid.  I've seen systems that start updatedb and specify what
uid it should be run with, and that is usually 'nobody.'

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Building Slackware Packages
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 02:04:43 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:33:53 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Sorry if this is a double posting but I don't find my other one.
>
>I have just switched one of my systems from redhat back to slackware
>(Yes That's right back to slackware)
Good choice.

>and I'm updating packages on it. It
>has been a couple of years since I used Slackware and don't remember how
>to include the description of the package so that when using the
>Slackware setup tool it will show the description for the package?
>
>Right now it just shows the package like this.
>-------------------
>
> Package Name: ==>control<==
>
>Size: Compressed: xxx K   uncompressed:  xxx K
>
>---------------
>But I want it to show something like this, from the original package.
>----------------
> Package Name: ==>control<==
>
> control-center-1.2.2
>
> The GNOME control center.  Control-center is a configuration tool for
>easily setting up your GNOME environment.  GNOME is the GNU Network
>Object Model Environment.  That's a fancy name, but really GNOME is a
>nice GUI desktop environment. It's a powerful, easy to configure
>environment which helps to make your computer easy to use.
>
>Size: Compressed xxx K                 uncompressed: xxx K
>
>------------------
Nothing to add to your script.  There's just a couple of things that need to
be true for this to happen.  When the installpkg/upgradepkg (and probably
pkgtool) tools are run against the package, the disk@# file needs to be in
the same directory as the .tgz file.  If you look in /slakware/a1, for
instance, you'll see a file called diska1.  In there are the descriptions of
the various packages in that subdirectory.  I'm not 100% sure if you need to
cd to that directory before doing the install or not, but I know that if you
do, you'll see the text you're wanting to see.

Mark Post
Slackware user

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: video player
Date: 19 Feb 2001 02:18:17 GMT

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:41:07 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>Where can I find a good video player for Linux?  I'm running Red Hat
>6.2 / KDE 2.2.

Whoa!  I'm farther behind than I thought; this KDE 2.0.1 thing I grabbed
last week is positively ancient.  [/sarcasm]  Anyway, there are a lot of
different video formats out there, and some of them are not supported
under Linux.  I have had the best luck with a combination of "smpeg" and
"aviplay" .  These are both available from freshmeat.net ; go there and
search.  WRT DVDs, no idea what the options are, but there are some.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Samba Problems
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 02:20:49 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:39:11 GMT, Mark Penkower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am having a weird Problem.

>I made some changes to my smb.conf file.  I then restarted samba.  I had
>problem logging in, so I ran the testparm program. Changes that I made
>to the smb.conf  -such as changing security from user to domain and
>encrypt passwords from no to yes.

>I even tried rebooting -but to no avail.  What am  doing wrong for the
>changes to to kick in?

Well, it looks as though you're updating a smb.conf file that Samba is not
using.  Find out which one it _is_ using and update that.
strings /usr/sbin/smbd | grep smb.conf
may get you what you want, but if not, then strings /usr/sbin/smbd | less
and carefully look through what comes from that.

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Logs telnetd & ftpd
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:26:35 +1100

Hi Jeff,

> I am trying to find the connection logs for telnetd and ftpd. I have
> read the man for syslog, telnetd, and ftpd and I have not seen any
> reference to the logs. Are there such logs, or do I have to write some
> script for this?

With the version of Linux that I have, these sorts of connections are logged
in a number of different log files.  /var/log/messages holds information such
as when a SSH key was generated and when a user logs.  I also think that this
log holds information for ftp connections as well.  I also have a log called
/var/log/secure which holds information on who is making connections to the
box.

You just have to ensure that you have syslogd loaded and that it is running.

I hope this information at least helps you track down your problem, although
by the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like you are getting successful logins
on your ftp daemon, so you may have to look at your /var/log/secure to see
what the IP address is and work from there.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:30:49 -0800

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 01:22:42 GMT,
 Mark Bratcher, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>>>I'm sure that ethics had a part to play in my eventual existence.
>>>
>>>Our parent's didn't strangle either of us at birth. I can't imagine
>>>Science had anything to do with that.
>>
>>      Sure it did.
>>
>>      It avoided the conditions necessary for such issues to
>>      actually exist. You and your ancestors have lead rather
>>      sheltered lives compared to those animals that find the
>>      need to eat their young.
>>
>>      Also, despite your protestations: in more "spiritual"
>>      days you would have been considered the property of
>>      your father to be disposed of accordingly.
>
>PMFJI... but "disposed of accordingly" in "more 'spiritual' days"?
>Could you be more specific? The only period of time I see more universal
>"disposal" of offspring outside of primitive cultures is in modern
>days (viz. abortion).  What your describing certainly was not true in
>family culture described in the Old Testament.

May want to go back and reread the bits about exposing unwanted infants...

>>>I agree, so what. I'm saying that Science depends on faith.
>>
>>      That the universe works in a predictable fashion is not
>>      an article of faith. It is an axiom that is time tested.
>
>Ah, and there lies the rub. Scientists over some period of time have
>"pet" theories and notions that, although they are theories and have
>indeed been confirmed for the time being, become axioms which make
>them unquestioned assumptions to be defended to the death.

No, science adopts new theories when the old are shown to be incorrect or
insufficient. Some people prefer to cling to disproven theories, but science
moves ahead of these fools anyway.

>There's an interesting book, too bad it's out of print, called
>"Science is a Sacred Cow" that discusses this issue.

sacred cow goes great with some tabasco and blue cheese... yum

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 19 Feb 2001 02:55:06 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:39:11 GMT, Mark Penkower staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I made some changes to my smb.conf file.  I then restarted samba.  I had
>problem logging in, so I ran the testparm program. Changes that I made
>to the smb.conf  -such as changing security from user to domain and
>encrypt passwords from no to yes.

[these changes were not made when Samba was restarted, as your other
post said]

>I even tried rebooting -but to no avail.  What am  doing wrong for the
>changes to to kick in?

Where does your Samba keep its config file?  The default config file is
specified at compile time; default is /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf ,
but RedHat compiles theirs to use /etc/samba/smb.conf and SuSE compiles
theirs to use /etc/smb.conf .  Make sure you're editing the right file;
run a "locate smb.conf" to make sure there aren't multiple files in
places you didn't expect them.  Also make sure that you saved your
changes to the file.  Or specify the file to use on the command line,
like "smbd -D -s /somewhere/smb.conf".  The way to get Samba to re-read
its config file is to do a "killall -HUP smbd nmbd" and this approach
works with most daemons.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Turning off LCD
Date: 19 Feb 2001 02:55:09 GMT

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:46:58 +0100, Peter T. Breuer staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Ester Ahoodem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Then apm -S command on my machine turns the backlight off but
>> unfortunately it also puts the machine into standby which seems to
>> halt the processor and thus the mp3s stop playing.
>
>> I'm hoping for a way to turn the backlight off without stopping the
>
>Try apm -s.

That's originally what I thought, but -s is for "suspend" and -S is for
"standby".  On my Thinkpads, -s halts the processor, spins down the hard
drive, and blanks the LCD, while -S blanks the screen.  Fn-F3 also
blanks the screen.

I had a look through /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/console.c and I think
what she wants is a way to call blank_screen() on demand.  This should
be easy for a seasoned kernel hacker, which I ain't.  Unless this
machine is running X 3.3.something, at which point "xset dpms force off"
should work just fine as long as she's in X, which I don't think is the
case.  Hmm.

From: Chris Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X windows won't start (problem with module v41)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:02:47 GMT

        First off I'm far from an expert when it comes to X.. However I've been
working on mine for the past few days. Is it possible that your screen
section of your XFre86 config file is not configured??

For instance...my  config file has a section that looks like the
following...

Section "Screen"
     Identifier  "Screen 1"
     Device      "G400_1"
     Monitor     "817-1"
     DefaultDepth 16

     Subsection "Display"
         Depth       8
         Modes       "1280x1024"
         ViewPort    0 0
     EndSubsection

     Subsection "Display"
         Depth       16
         Modes       "1280x1024
         ViewPort    0 0
     EndSubsection

     Subsection "Display"
         Depth       24
         Modes       "1280x1024"
         ViewPort    0 0
     EndSubsection
EndSection

Again this is only a guess.... Have you been to the xfree86.org site yet?

        Sorry I can't be more help

Chris