  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Aaron Kulkis)

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Slackware Package building
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:13:43 GMT

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a double/triple post but I don't find my other ones
anywhere.

I have just switched one of my systems from redhat back to slackware
(Yes That's right back to slackware) and I'm updating packages on it. It
has been a couple of years since I used Slackware and don't remember how
to include the description of the package so that when using the
Slackware setup tool it will show the description for the package?

Right now it just shows the package like this.
===================

 Package Name: ==>control<==

Size: Compressed: xxx K   uncompressed:  xxx K

===============
But I want it to show something like this, from the original package.
================
 Package Name: ==>control<==

 control-center-1.2.2

 The GNOME control center.  Control-center is a configuration tool for
easily setting up your GNOME environment.  GNOME is the GNU Network
Object Model Environment.  That's a fancy name, but really GNOME is a
nice GUI desktop environment. It's a powerful, easy to configure
environment which helps to make your computer easy to use.

Size: Compressed xxx K                  uncompressed: xxx K

==================
Any one know what I need to add to my script so that the the package and
description are included with the package?

Thanks.
David

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.071% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: ryan erl mccarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Stupid Newbie question.
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:09:05 -0600

This is really stupid.  I just installed Mandrake 7.2.  Somehow I altered
the boot so that I get to the console rather than a GUI.  I log in and get
to a prompt.  How do I get back to the GUI?  The GUI I set it up for was
Gnome.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid Newbie question.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:12:25 GMT

startx
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: ryan erl mccarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:23:17 -0600

I tried that and it said it couldn't.  Well, it didn't talk to me, but it
gave some errors.  Something like 'if my card is newer than 6 months check
some web site.' I guarantee nothing of mine is newer than 6 months.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:22:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim Richardson wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 01:22:42 GMT,
> Mark Bratcher, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> brought forth the following words...:

>>>     Sure it did.
>>>
>>>     It avoided the conditions necessary for such issues to
>>>     actually exist. You and your ancestors have lead rather
>>>     sheltered lives compared to those animals that find the
>>>     need to eat their young.
>>>
>>>     Also, despite your protestations: in more "spiritual"
>>>     days you would have been considered the property of
>>>     your father to be disposed of accordingly.
>>
>>PMFJI... but "disposed of accordingly" in "more 'spiritual' days"?
>>Could you be more specific? The only period of time I see more universal
>>"disposal" of offspring outside of primitive cultures is in modern
>>days (viz. abortion).  What your describing certainly was not true in
>>family culture described in the Old Testament.
>
>May want to go back and reread the bits about exposing unwanted infants...

Be happy to if you would please provide book, chapter, and verse
references so I could also read the context. Many misconceptions regarding
the Bible are due to verses taken out of context.

>>>     That the universe works in a predictable fashion is not
>>>     an article of faith. It is an axiom that is time tested.
>>
>>Ah, and there lies the rub. Scientists over some period of time have
>>"pet" theories and notions that, although they are theories and have
>>indeed been confirmed for the time being, become axioms which make
>>them unquestioned assumptions to be defended to the death.
>

>No, science adopts new theories when the old are shown to be incorrect or
>insufficient. Some people prefer to cling to disproven theories, but science
>moves ahead of these fools anyway.

I agree with you, Jim, that this is the normal, proper scientific
process.

>>There's an interesting book, too bad it's out of print, called
>>"Science is a Sacred Cow" that discusses this issue.
>
>sacred cow goes great with some tabasco and blue cheese... yum

Thanks for the levity. :-)

>       Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.

:-) :-)

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:47:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ryan erl
mccarthy wrote:

>I tried that and it said it couldn't.  Well, it didn't talk to me, but it
>gave some errors.  Something like 'if my card is newer than 6 months check
>some web site.' I guarantee nothing of mine is newer than 6 months.
>
>> startx
>
>> > This is really stupid.  I just installed Mandrake 7.2.  Somehow I altered
>> > the boot so that I get to the console rather than a GUI.  I log in and get
>> > to a prompt.  How do I get back to the GUI?  The GUI I set it up for was
>> > Gnome.  Thanks in advance.

Would the list of errors you get from startx be too numerous to post?

Anyway, you could try running Xconfigurator at the prompt and run through the
video setup again. Perhaps the video setup got munged.

Then try startx, as was previously suggested.

Your goal should be to get startx to work first. Once that works, then you
can get the GUI to come up automatically by changing the runlevel value in
/etc/inittab.

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: User permissions for vfat mount
Date: 18 Feb 2001 21:50:44 -0600

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger),
  In a message on 18 Feb 2001 13:41:28 GMT, wrote :

YL> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_R=FCppel?= ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
YL> > Ralph Miguel Hansen wrote:
YL> >> Here a line of my /etc/fstab with umask-entry for read/write-access:
YL> >>
YL> >> /dev/hda5       /Daten      vfat        defaults,umask=000    0  0
YL> >>
YL> >> man umask (uarrgh !)
YL> >
YL> > What are the last two 0s good for?
YL>
YL> One is for file-system checking [i use 1] & i forget the other.
YL> See manpage for mount command ,in the options.

One is for fsck level.  Normally the root file system gets 1 and all of
the other *unix-ish* (ext2) file systems get 2. The fsck command will
try to 'parallelize the fsck's by checking file systems on different
*physical* disks concurrently.  Generally this is a good idea as it
saves time -- fsck'ing is I/O intensive and the I/O can often be
overlapped across different devices.  *Sometimes* (rare) this is NOT a
good thing, so file systems that should NOT be fsck'ed concurrently, can
be set with other values.

The other number relates to backups using dump.

Note: for msdos/vfat, hfs, iso9660, and various non-UNIX type file
systems, you should set both the fsck level and dump level to 0.  There
isn't a version of fsck or dump for msdos/vfat, hfs, iso9660, and the
various other non-UNIX type file systems.  The only real reason to have
a vfat file system on a hard disk is because you have a dual booted
system, that is, some flavor of MS-Windows is also installed.  Use
MS-Windows 'fsck' program, ScanDisk to check your vfat file systems (and
use your MacOS Disk Doctor to check your hfs file systems).  fsck'ing
floppies is kind of silly and I re-partition and re-format my Zip and
Orb carts to use ext2 file systems on Linux Native partitions, unless I
plan on using the carts for interchange, in which case I treat it like a
big fat floppy (usually this means it is effectively a write once deal).

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
             http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 02:17:18 GMT

Ed writes:
> They do practice art.

I know.  My stallion is involved in sculpture and dance.

I wrote:
> Show that man "in the cave" was.
                              ^^^

Should read 'did'.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:07:04 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:37:37 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:31:32 +0000
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> >
>> >Two words. California electricity.
>>
>> You confirmed his statement; the problem with California electricity
>> is that PG&E did not spend money to upgrade its infrastructure.
>> That's because PG&E wasn't allowed to raise rates to market value.
>>
>> At the time of the deregulation, we had a healthy surplus of electric
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Rate controls and deregulation are mutually contradictory.

Good point; I should have put "deregulation" in quotes.

>> power.  It's now a deficit, and PG&E is bleeding badly.
>>
>> In other words, the goverment botched the deregulation by imposing
>> a price ceiling.
>
>No...the government botched by imposing MORE regulations.
>
>Price control is NOT deregulation, no matter how many times
>Kalifornia Kommunists claim it to be...

Call it what you will ... they botched it.

Mind you, this is somewhat reminiscent of 1986 tax "simplification".
We now have the alternative minimum tax, which means we get to do
everything more or less twice.

But hey, it's still fair, right?  :-)

[rest snipped]

                    It's a conspiracy of one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:09:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mart van de Wege
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:42:54 +0100
<3a905ed1$0$22964@reader2>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
>

>> At the time of the deregulation, we had a healthy surplus of
>> electric power.  It's now a deficit, and PG&E is bleeding
>> badly.
>>
>> In other words, the goverment botched the deregulation by
>> imposing a price ceiling.
>>
>> At least, that's my understanding of the situation.  TURN and
>> other such groups may see things quite differently. :-)
>>
>> [.sigsnip]
>>
>Don't know much about the California situation, but doesn't your
>statement imply that the state government was running things
>just fine *before* they deregulated?
>Inquiring minds want to know, because our government (in the
>Netherlands) is reassessing deregulation in the light of the
>California energy crisis.

I'm not sure.  I can't say I was paying too much attention at the time.
Mind you, part of the problem was a set of bad assumptions; the
Californian economy is partly to blame for the current crisis
(the price controls are another part).  It's a complicated
situation, though.

CNN has an in-depth section on this crisis, which might be of interest.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:21:42 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrecord + 90/99 minutes CD-R's

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:49:38 +0100, Matthias Medger staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> >How can I burn CD-Rs which are 90 or 99 minutes long with cdrecord and
> >mkisofs? Which options should I use. I tried "-ignsize", but it doesn't
> >work.
> >
> >My CD burner (a MITSUMI 4804TE) is able to  handle such CD-R's.
>
> The Red Book specified that a CD can contain 74 minutes' worth of audio
> data.  Thanks to engineering overcoverage, you can squeeze 80 minutes'
> worth of data onto a normal-sized CD and *most* players will be able to
> access all the data.  The standard CD is 60mm in radius, with the live
> data area taking up the outer (60 - (hole + gap) ) or ~37mm.  Doing the
> (admittedly fuzzy, I don't have a micrometer) math on this results in a
> live data area of 9643 mm^2 for 80 minutes.  1 minute = 120.5 mm^2.
>
> Then do some more math, and you find that a 99-minute CD would have to
> be ~65mm in radius.  A CD that size will not fit into a standard CD
> holder.  So, I think it unlikely that 99-minute CDs exist.

I'd vouch for that too , although admittedly with less scientific data
:)
That being i've never seen 90/99 minute CDs advertised or sold or even
talked about in magazines.
Where this person 'found' out about them would be interesting.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:20:36 -0500

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
>

> > At the time of the deregulation, we had a healthy surplus of
> > electric power.  It's now a deficit, and PG&E is bleeding
> > badly.
> >
> > In other words, the goverment botched the deregulation by
> > imposing a price ceiling.
> >
> > At least, that's my understanding of the situation.  TURN and
> > other such groups may see things quite differently. :-)
> >
> > [.sigsnip]
> >
> Don't know much about the California situation, but doesn't your
> statement imply that the state government was running things
> just fine *before* they deregulated?
> Inquiring minds want to know, because our government (in the
> Netherlands) is reassessing deregulation in the light of the
> California energy crisis.

What Kalifornia did is *NOT* deregulation.

You cannot put price-controls on an industry and then call
it "deregulation"...price controls ARE regulations.

> Mart
> --
> Happily running Debian, posting with Pan

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Mike Goldsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Acrobat and Netscape6
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:28:04 GMT

Got Real Player working in Netscape6.01 now has any one gotten Acrobat to
work as a plugin or helper app. If so how?
Thanks
Mike Goldsbury

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:27:54 -0500

John Hasler wrote:

> Mart van de Wege writes:
> > Don't know much about the California situation, but doesn't your
> > statement imply that the state government was running things just fine
> > *before* they deregulated?
>
> The "deregulation" was very selective.  A cynical person might suspect that
> things are going according to plan.

That's my Cousin's theory...

Create a situation which will not seriously effect the affluent (who
can afford to purchase generators, etc)...but provide a VERY strong
impetus to the moochers....to go away.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Doom for Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:30:07 -0000

   I am a linux newbie so that is why I am asking this basic question. I
downloaded the Doom for Linux (its on the most popular list on
Download.com) and put it on my linux computer. The question is: How do you
run it? I try and open sdoom or xdoom but it asks me what program I want
to use it with. What program do I want to use it with?

Thanks,

James

P.S. I am using Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 w/KDE

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnet Server
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:30:07 -0000

I have seen telnet servers that allow people to log onto linux systems via
telnet. How can this be done using Caldera openlinux 2.4?

James

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:14:01 GMT

I have the xcdroast 0.98alpha8 which uses cdrecord.  It has options for
burning CDs 89 and 99 minutes long.
I never tried those options, or see what commands it passes onto cdrecord.

------------------------------

From: Jay & Michelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acrobat and Netscape6
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:36:42 GMT

Mike Goldsbury wrote:

> Got Real Player working in Netscape6.01 now has any one gotten Acrobat to
> work as a plugin or helper app. If so how?
> Thanks
> Mike Goldsbury

Get the Acrobat plugin and install it into the Netscape plugin directory?

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:00:17 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:37:37 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> >The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >>
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>  wrote
> >> on Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:31:32 +0000

> >> You confirmed his statement; the problem with California electricity
> >> is that PG&E did not spend money to upgrade its infrastructure.
> >> That's because PG&E wasn't allowed to raise rates to market value.
> >>
> >> At the time of the deregulation, we had a healthy surplus of electric
> >  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >Rate controls and deregulation are mutually contradictory.
>
> Good point; I should have put "deregulation" in quotes.
>

> >> power.  It's now a deficit, and PG&E is bleeding badly.
> >>
> >> In other words, the goverment botched the deregulation by imposing
> >> a price ceiling.
> >
> >No...the government botched by imposing MORE regulations.
> >
> >Price control is NOT deregulation, no matter how many times
> >Kalifornia Kommunists claim it to be...
>
> Call it what you will ... they botched it.
>
> Mind you, this is somewhat reminiscent of 1986 tax "simplification".
> We now have the alternative minimum tax, which means we get to do
> everything more or less twice.

Graduated income taxes are Marxist.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis