  Re: How to associate *.mp3 with XMMS? ("Nils O. Selåsdal")

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Building Slackware Packages
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:18:12 GMT

Mark Post wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:33:53 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Sorry if this is a double posting but I don't find my other one.
> >
> >I have just switched one of my systems from redhat back to slackware
> >(Yes That's right back to slackware)
> Good choice.

I know I used it before. Now I just have to get use to it again.

> >and I'm updating packages on it. It
> >has been a couple of years since I used Slackware and don't remember how
> >to include the description of the package so that when using the
> >Slackware setup tool it will show the description for the package?
> >
> >Right now it just shows the package like this.
> >-------------------
> >
> > Package Name: ==>control<==
> >
> >Size: Compressed: xxx K   uncompressed:  xxx K
> >
> >---------------
> >But I want it to show something like this, from the original package.
> >----------------
> > Package Name: ==>control<==
> >
> > control-center-1.2.2
> >
> > The GNOME control center.  Control-center is a configuration tool for
> >easily setting up your GNOME environment.  GNOME is the GNU Network
> >Object Model Environment.  That's a fancy name, but really GNOME is a
> >nice GUI desktop environment. It's a powerful, easy to configure
> >environment which helps to make your computer easy to use.
> >
> >Size: Compressed xxx K                 uncompressed: xxx K
> >
> >------------------
> Nothing to add to your script.  There's just a couple of things that need to
> be true for this to happen.  When the installpkg/upgradepkg (and probably
> pkgtool) tools are run against the package, the disk@# file needs to be in
> the same directory as the .tgz file.  If you look in /slakware/a1, for
> instance, you'll see a file called diska1.  In there are the descriptions of
> the various packages in that subdirectory.  I'm not 100% sure if you need to
> cd to that directory before doing the install or not, but I know that if you
> do, you'll see the text you're wanting to see.
>
> Mark Post
> Slackware user
> >Any one know what I need to add to my script so that the the package and
> >description are included with the package?

That was simple enough, I thought it was something I was missing in my
scripts.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.071% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: chexmeex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying to install RH 7.0 on an HP
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:30:04 -0000

have you checked for jumpers on the mainboard for disabling that 810
chip?  Either in the CMOS setup or on the board, HP should have provided a
method of disabling it.  According to their website, during initial
startup, pressing F1 will enter setup.  Maybe it's in there.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Doom for Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:36:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   I am a linux newbie so that is why I am asking this basic question. I
>downloaded the Doom for Linux (its on the most popular list on
>Download.com) and put it on my linux computer. The question is: How do you
>run it? I try and open sdoom or xdoom but it asks me what program I want
>to use it with. What program do I want to use it with?

It would help if you copied the 'exact' error message.  I suspect that you
do not realize that the current directory is not in your path.  Try going
to the doom directory and then ./sdoom for console version (not X) or
./xdoom for the X version.

If you want to play all of the game you need your .pak file(s) from the
DOS/Win pay version.

David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:44:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock) wrote:
> Yes the concept was probably invented by mathematicians but where
> would they be without engineers who made it all happen. Just think
> about all the things which have only been made possible by engineers.
> Would you like to live without steel, electricity telephones motor
> vehicles running water ...etc...etc.

The Romans had running water, and I'll admit my ignorance of Babylonian,
Indian and Chinese accomplishments in this regard if they predated the
Romans. There were no engineers in the modern sence back then.

Electricity - many could be claimed to have discovered or harnessed it,
but Thomas Edison made the most use of it. While you could claim he
conducted himself like an engineer, he wasn't one in terms of formal
training.

Steel - what type? Some types go WAY back, so another case of
'pre-engineers' doing laying the foundation.

Telephones - we could argue about the origins vs subsequent
improvements, but I'll just note that one of the more notable collection
of people to improve on the technology were the people at Bell Labs
(whence came Unix). Mostly mathematicians and physicists.

No doubt engineers should be thanked for refining verious bits of
technology, and they have doubtless contributed greatly to the current
state of human well-being. However, almost without exception the great
technological leaps have been due to people who weren't engineers and
weren't burdened by engineers' often narrow methods and
'professionalism' - not to mention the impression that some engineers
evidently hold that they invented civilization.

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:50:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock) wrote:
> Sorry Harlan I was a bit narrow minded, I should have said they should
> have been kept away from the commercial world and kept for scientists,
> mathematicians and engineers. People who really deserve the power of a
> computer.

Who died and left you in charge of deciding who DESERVES anything? Not
to mention who would have paid to develop computers if commercial users
had never been given their turn? Yours would have been a world in which
the original predictions of only 5 or so ENIACs ever being needed would
have come true. Thank God that didn't happen!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Stupid Newbie question.
From: blix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:54:03 GMT

ryan erl mccarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is really stupid.  I just installed Mandrake 7.2.  Somehow I altered
> the boot so that I get to the console rather than a GUI.  I log in and get
> to a prompt.  How do I get back to the GUI?  The GUI I set it up for was
> Gnome.  Thanks in advance.

I use the RedHat distro so am not sure if it is the same as yours. But
I edit a file called /etc/inittab:

# 3 for console mode on startup
#id:3:initdefault:

# 5 for X11 on startup (gui)
id:5:initdefault:

Set yours to 5 if you want it to go into the GUI on bootup.

--
blix
z = z^2 + c : islands of order in a sea of chaos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Perry)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Using  KVM switch with SuSE 6.4
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:57:32 -0000

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:19:37 +0100, Detlef Olschewski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello
>
>I had the same problems, could solve this by providing a new KVM Switch.
>The differences was, that my old one is based on mechanic, the new one
>switch using electronic. (the prices differ enormous).
>
>Pit
>

>"Bill Keck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:CCXe6.47665$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I am trying to use a KVM switch to share the keyboard, monitor, and mouse
>> between my spare Win98 box and my SuSe 6.4 box.  I can boot the SuSE box
>> just fine, use the equipment properly, flip the switch to my Win98 box,
>and
>> use the equipment properly.  The problem occurs when I switch back to my
>> SuSE box.  The keyboard and mouse hang.  I normally have to do a hard
>reset
>> in order to use my SuSE box again.  Does anyone know what setting I need
>> make so that my SuSE box doesn't freeze?  Does SuSE just not like KVM
>> switches?  Any help is appreciated.

Is this a belkin box that hangs the keyboard and mouse?  If so, belkin has a
patch on their website for this issue.  Its also explained in their support
pages a bit.  I use a belkin omniview 4 port and switch between 98, suse,
and two debian boxes.  I have not noticed the problem described on their
website but other have in the past on the newsgroups.

Check out their website, www.belkin.com.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Exiting programs.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:37:46 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock) wrote:
>Yes we NOSE wot don't work. WOT we wants to NO is WOT does work.

I was just being combative. Ctrl+C should kill the process, so if it
doesn't then there's no other way to kill it with a single keyboard
combination. That is, if it's the foreground process that needs to be
killed. It's easier to kill a background process: use  ps  to identify
it and  kill  to kill it.

If it's the foreground process, it seems to me your friend needs to open
another virtual terminal (Alt+2, Alt+3, or Alt+4), login as root, use
ps to identify the process and  kill  to kill it. Read the manpage for
ps and help for kill (usually a shell built-in).

There may be better ways to do this, but this has worked for me.

------------------------------

From: Mike Goldsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acrobat and Netscape6
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:38:33 GMT

Jay & Michelle wrote:

> Mike Goldsbury wrote:
>
> > Got Real Player working in Netscape6.01 now has any one gotten Acrobat
> > to work as a plugin or helper app. If so how?
> > Thanks
> > Mike Goldsbury
>
> Get the Acrobat plugin and install it into the Netscape plugin directory?

It's in there but not seen.
Mike

------------------------------

From: Jay & Michelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 06:45:31 GMT

Mike Goldsbury wrote:

> Jay & Michelle wrote:
>
> > Mike Goldsbury wrote:
> >
> > > Got Real Player working in Netscape6.01 now has any one gotten Acrobat
> > > to work as a plugin or helper app. If so how?
> > > Thanks
> > > Mike Goldsbury
> >
> > Get the Acrobat plugin and install it into the Netscape plugin directory?
> >

> It's in there but not seen.
> Mike

/usr/lib/netscape/plugins

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anonym5530)
Date: 19 Feb 2001 06:59:50 GMT

Yeah, I looked
in the cmos the only thing you can do is change the initial boot ram (of which
it steals system memory, doesn't even have video memory).  The only jumper on
the board, I can't figure out what it does...and not wanting to mess it up too
badly =)

But thanks though

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turning off LCD
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:06:15 GMT

Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:46:58 +0100, Peter T. Breuer staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
>>Ester Ahoodem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Then apm -S command on my machine turns the backlight off but
>>> unfortunately it also puts the machine into standby which seems to
>>> halt the processor and thus the mp3s stop playing.
>>
>>> I'm hoping for a way to turn the backlight off without stopping the
>>
>>Try apm -s.

> That's originally what I thought, but -s is for "suspend" and -S is for
> "standby".  On my Thinkpads, -s halts the processor, spins down the hard

Yes, sorry. I was going to cancel that post, but it didn't appear on my
server soon enough!

> be easy for a seasoned kernel hacker, which I ain't.  Unless this
> machine is running X 3.3.something, at which point "xset dpms force off"
> should work just fine as long as she's in X, which I don't think is the
> case.  Hmm.

Not in X? Oww.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:54:00 +0100

Rolie Baldock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After all that gassing, can anybody tell me how big  a small LINUX
> system sufficient to act as a LAN server would be say compared to

LAN server of _what_? If your mean files, about 8MB of disk. Whatever
memory you can get.

> other software servers on the market? I have a couple of 486 DX-33
> servers with 6 SCSI disks attached, the servers have 8 Mb of RAM and
> their own 50Mb HDDs. I have two workstations running an old DOS which

The MHz is your problem here. Those are going to be turtles at
processing anything. They may work OK as file servers, but they won't
be fast.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:07:05 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I have just switched one of my systems from redhat back to slackware
> (Yes That's right back to slackware) and I'm updating packages on it. It
> has been a couple of years since I used Slackware and don't remember how
> to include the description of the package so that when using the

Look at the examples in /var/log/packages.

> Slackware setup tool it will show the description for the package?

Oh, ...

> Right now it just shows the package like this.
> -------------------

>  Package Name: ==>control<==

> Size: Compressed: xxx K   uncompressed:  xxx K

If that's not a tag artifice, then it's the bit above FILE LIST:
(which is the only line you really need in the file)

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
bind:     BIND-4.9.3-beta9
bind:
bind:     The named daemon and support utilities such as dig, dnsquery, host,
bind:     nslookup, nsquery, and nstest.  Documentation on setting up a name
bind:     server can be found in /usr/doc/bind-4.9.3-BETA9.
bind:

From: Mike Goldsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:27:35 GMT

Jay & Michelle wrote:

> Mike Goldsbury wrote:
>
> > Jay & Michelle wrote:

> > > Get the Acrobat plugin and install it into the Netscape plugin
> > > directory?
> > >

> > It's in there but not seen.
> > Mike
>
> /usr/lib/netscape/plugins

In that location works great in Communicator 4.75 but doesn't help NS6 at
all.
Mike

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:34:10 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Logs telnetd & ftpd

Jeff Moore wrote:

> I am trying to find the connection logs for telnetd and ftpd. I have
> read the man for syslog, telnetd, and ftpd and I have not seen any
> reference to the logs. Are there such logs, or do I have to write some
> script for this?
>
> I am using RedHat Linux 7.0 with a static IP and I keep getting ftpd:
> FTP session closed, and telnetd: ttloop: read:  Connection reset by
> peer, in my syslog, but I have found no way to trace the logins. I am
> debugging the server now and I am interested to know if some client on
> my lan is doing this somehow, or if someone from the internet is
> responsible. I am rotating and expiring my accounts and passwords, so I
> do not think I have any security risk, but I would like to be able to
> trace this syslog entry.
>
> I have two clients on my lan that are running Napster that have caused
> problems for my server in the past, but I think I have gotten all the
> bugs worked out with it. I am also running Yahoo Messenger, Aol,
> Netscape AIM, and Dialpad on my lan with two clients, but I cannot tell
> if they are the cause.
>
> Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jeffrey Moore
>
> --
> Jeffrey Moore, Muhammad Mo. Jaffry
> Director General
> DCI, Dynamic Consultants International
> Birmingham Alabama USA 35215
> Islamabad Rawalpindi Pakistan
> Tel: 001-205-853-2183
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  company
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  home
> JeffAlabam    Yahoo Messenger Chat
> JefTrader    AOL Instant Messenger and email
> http://dcihq.ath.cx/ Web Server
>
> Please use my PGP Public Key for any confidential information.
> Get QuickTime for Windows and Mac, http://www.apple.com/
>
> NOTICE: If you are receiving this email, and you wish to be removed from
> this list,
> send a reply with remove in the subject, Thank You.

err... what list?

Hello,

you can increase the loglevel for ftp and telnet from where it's started,
mostly inetd.
read man ftpd and man telnetd

edit your /etc/inetd.conf to your needs and reload inetd.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

Please don't crosspost so much.

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: QT libraries
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:56:18 +0100

"Matthew HIll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm having trouble getting qt libraries to install for what seems like a
> simple reason.
> In the INSTALL file it says to set the variable $QTDIR to the install
> path in .profile, then logout so that the file is re-sourced.
> The problem is that I have already done this and .progile reflects my
> changes, but when I try to ./configure, the errmsg says that $QTDIR is
> set to "" insted of what I set it to "/usr/local/qt". What should I do?
unpack Qt to /usr/lib/qt-2.x.x
ln -s /usr/lib/qt-2.x.x /usr/lib/qt
cd /usr/lib/qt
export QTDIR=.
./configure --help < to see the options, you might want to add
gif/jpeg/multithread support
./configure -gif -system-jpeg -thread
make

then put this:
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt
export PATH=$PATH:$QTDIR/bin

in a startup script(/etc/rc.local on rh systems e.g)
edit the /etc/ld.so.conf
add the line:
/usr/lib/qt/lib

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to associate *.mp3 with XMMS?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:57:37 +0100

"Bora Ugurlu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96lu5m$lr3r5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I have XMMS 1.0.1, KDE 2.1 beta2 installed on SUSE 7.0 and I would see
XMMS
> coming up and play the song when I klick on an MP3 file. I registered XMMS
> as primary application in File Associations, but when I click on a song,
> XMMS comes up with the song carried into the list, but it just doesn't
> play.
Right-click a mp3 file in konqueror, choose edit-file-type.. the rest you
shpuld easily find out.