Linux-Misc Digest #159, Volume #27               Mon, 19 Feb 01 09:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Looking for something Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Looking for something Linux (Michael Heiming)
  Re: permissions (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Samba Problems (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Telnet Server (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Configuring NFS (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: tar archive error (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: How to upgrade RPM itself? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Linux, Perl, CommPort - 28800 baud (Jacek Chmielewski)
  Re: ksh script problem: pwd works differently for ksh then linux binary file (Dan
Mercer)
  xerces c++ xml-parser + apache module ("Igor Borisovsky")
  Re: Looking for something Linux (Jean-David Beyer)
  windowsclients beim booten installieren ?? ("blackman")
  Re: about installation of Linux (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: Acrobat and Netscape6 (Jay & Michelle)
  Sawfish won't start (Doug Poulin)
  Hard drive space. (John Giddings)
  Re: Hard drive space. (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Exiting programs. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem building 2.4.1 with "modules", no vfat no usb  no tulip (Thaddeus L Olczyk)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for something Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:02:52 +0100

iQXth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to be able to install the most basic part of Linux and explore
> it for what it is. Then add to it. Man pages, command-line apps,

Then DO so. Nothing is stopping you.

> XFree86, X apps, RPM support, etc... I want the experience.

> I hate how after installing a distribution like Redhat I feel like I

So do most people, so don't.

Or at least, if you must use redhat, go through package by package,
instead of abdicating and letting redhat choose you one of their
precanned configs.

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:31:54 +0100

iQXth wrote:

> Back in the day ('93) is when I got my first IBM compatible computer.
> It came with Microsoft DOS and Windows 3.1 and a bunch of third-party
> apps DOS and Windows apps. Being new to the platform at that time, I
> felt overwhelmed being thrown into a system that was pre-built with
> all those apps. But I had my trusty 2.5"-thick manual that came with
> Windows to help guide me through everything. There was a time when I
> uninstalled Windows 3.1 because I liked DOS much better. It just
> seemed more efficient.
>
> Anyway, in the process of learning how everything worked, I'd back up
> everything to floppy and nuke the fixed disk and start from scratch. I
> liked this because I could incrementally add software, poke around,
> and see how everything worked and worked together.
>
> For example, I'd install DOS and poke around and see what was there
> and get comfortable with it. Then I'd install Windows 3.1 and poke
> around and see what was there and get comfortable with it. Etc, etc...
>
> Now, this is why I'm posting to the group...
> I'd like to get that very same experience with Linux.
>
> I want to be able to install the most basic part of Linux and explore
> it for what it is. Then add to it. Man pages, command-line apps,
> XFree86, X apps, RPM support, etc... I want the experience.
>
> I hate how after installing a distribution like Redhat I feel like I
> did in '93, very uncomfortable being 'thrown' into the middle of
> everything not knowing where to start or what belongs to what.
>
> I guess what I need first is a very small, fully functional Linux
> distribution that I can install and build an entirely capable working
> system from. Something that would fit on floppies like DOS did back in
> the day. Not something that is so 'noisy' like Redhat. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Know where I'm coming from? Is any of this making sense to anyone else
> but me?
> :-)
>
> --- iQXth ---
> Please respond to this thread
> or post with 'ulvfboqj' in the
> subject to get my attention.

Hello,

beware to compare Linux and anything made by M$, Linux is a UNIX OS!

If you really want to start from scratch:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

http://world.std.com/~franl/linux.html
(many usefull Linux related URL)

Starting with a distro is IMHO not bad, as you get most things working
without problems,
there are a few more than RH available.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: permissions
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:31:04 -0500

Mark Post wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:41:27 -0500, Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Mark Post wrote:
> -snip-
> >>(For
> >> that matter, I don't know any distribution that runs updatedb as anything
> >> other than 'nobody.')
>
> >Here's one: VA Linux Systems' version of Red Hat Linux 6.2 (VA
> >6.2.3):
>
> >valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/updatedb
> >lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     slocate         7 Jan 22 18:03
> >/usr/bin/updatedb -> slocate
> >valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/slocate
> >-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     slocate     20880 Dec 18 12:16
> >/usr/bin/slocate
> >valinux:jdbeyer[~]$
>
> This doesn't mean that the updatedb job runs as root, just that the
> executable is suid.  I've seen systems that start updatedb and specify what
> uid it should be run with, and that is usually 'nobody.'

Well, unless I misunderstand you, mine does not run as suid root; it
runs as sgid slocate.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba Problems
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:40:45 -0500

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:39:11 GMT, Mark Penkower staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> >I made some changes to my smb.conf file.  I then restarted samba.  I had
> >problem logging in, so I ran the testparm program. Changes that I made
> >to the smb.conf  -such as changing security from user to domain and
> >encrypt passwords from no to yes.
>
> [these changes were not made when Samba was restarted, as your other
> post said]
>
> >I even tried rebooting -but to no avail.  What am  doing wrong for the
> >changes to to kick in?
>
> Where does your Samba keep its config file?  The default config file is
> specified at compile time; default is /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf ,
> but RedHat compiles theirs to use /etc/samba/smb.conf

My old Red Hat 6.0 and my new Red Hat 6.2.3 (both are really VA
Linux Systems' version of Red Hat) both keep smb.conf right on top
in /etc. I.e., the file in question is /etc/smb.conf . That also
seems to be where swat (man swat) expects to find it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 7:35am up 21 days, 16:02, 4 users, load average: 1.91, 1.97,
2.03

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet Server
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:45:24 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have seen telnet servers that allow people to log onto linux systems via
> telnet. How can this be done using Caldera openlinux 2.4?

I strongly suggest not allowing people to telnet into your machine
using telnet because it is too easy for people to sniff everything
going through the link, including passwords, especially the root
password if someone outside knows it (such you when you are
elsewhere than at the console). I recommend using some version of
ssh instead (I use openSSH). See:

http://www.openssh.com/
http://www.openssl.org/

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 7:40am up 21 days, 16:07, 4 users, load average: 2.19, 2.07,
2.05

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring NFS
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:48:28 -0500

Andreas Moroder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Suse Linux system. What is the best configuration tool to configure
> the NFS server ?

vi (man vi), or emacs (man emacs).

What do you need to configure? Just make the needed entries in
/etc/exports

For the client, just make the needed entries in /etc/fstab

You might do a man exports, man nfs, and man fstab for more
information, but it is pretty easy.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 7:45am up 21 days, 16:12, 4 users, load average: 2.34, 2.14,
2.07

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:50:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:00:17 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

[snip]

>> Mind you, this is somewhat reminiscent of 1986 tax "simplification".
>> We now have the alternative minimum tax, which means we get to do
>> everything more or less twice.
>

>Graduated income taxes are Marxist.

In which case we've been Marxist for a long time.  :-)
At least in that particular area.

I'll admit, I'm ambivalent about a flat tax, mostly because I don't
understand the particulars regarding income (versus gross receipts,
versus net receipts, versus after-tax receipts -- corporations can
play some interesting games, with which I'm not familiar).

And I still remember 1986.  How bumpy is "flat"? :-)

[rest snipped]

                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar archive error
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:51:31 -0500

Wolfgang Batrla wrote:

> reading a tar archive i encountered the error message:
> "unexpected end of file in archive
> error is not recoverable: exiting now"
> is it possible to recover the data from that tape, despite
> the error message?

Probably not. That was one of the reasons Bell Labs replaced tar
with cpio in their UNIX distributions. I forget when that was, but I
believe it was before 1980. It was the Berkeley Unix people that
insisted in keeping tar. IMAO, tar is unsuitable for tape backups
because of this deficiency.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:52:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charlie Ebert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:20:10 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <96qrc0$7e0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Rosten wrote:
>>> Your only alternative is to admit that the Scientific Method is indeed a
>>> faith.
>>
>>That is not true. The Scientific Method (look at its name) is simply a
>>method of working. No more, mo less. Faith is not a method of working, so
>>the scientific method is not a faith.
>>
>>-Ed
>>

>Larry is holding 1st base.
>And Curley is on 2nd.

Who's on first?
Who?
The man on first base?
Yes, Who?
That's right!

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- an Abbott & Costello skit, from memory
                    This is the best part of the message.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to upgrade RPM itself?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:53:51 -0500

Stearns28 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I tried to install zlib-devel1.1.3 with rpm,  I got an error message
> saying that  the rpm program  I was using could only handle  "packages with
> major number <=3".   I guess it means the rpm I have is too old.  Correct me if
> I am wrong, pls.
>
> So I downloaded the latest  rpm  from RH,  but I couldn't upgrade with the old
> rpm  because it too  has a major number > 3.
>
> How do I upgrade rpm ?

You should get a copy of rpm-3.0.5-9.6x . Your present version of
rpm should be able to install it, and it is able to install newer
rpm files. I have not been able to use it to install yet newer
versions of rpm (the 4.... series) due to what appear to be
insurmountable dependency problems, but I have not had to do that
yet.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 7:50am up 21 days, 16:17, 4 users, load average: 2.18, 2.15,
2.09

------------------------------

From: Jacek Chmielewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Linux, Perl, CommPort - 28800 baud
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:59:42 +0100

Witam Mam problem, jak pod Linuxem w Perlu ustawic szybkosc portu na
28800 bodow? setserial czy stty pozwalaja na ustawienie tylko
standardowych predkosci i 28800 nie przyjmuja... Poza tym potrzebowalbym
konstukcji pozwalajacej na stworzenie waktu oczekujacego i odbierajacego
przychodzace na port dane.

Hi

How to set comm port (serial, RS) speed to 28800 baud.
'setserial' & 'stty' allow only to choose standard speeds, but no 28800.

I'm using RedHat 7.0

Thanks in advance
Jacek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer)
Subject: Re: ksh script problem: pwd works differently for ksh then linux binary file
Date: 19 Feb 2001 12:36:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Shai Kedem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>any other suggestions on writing a ksh script which will simulate pwd
>>somehow in the right way ?
>
>   1) Write scripts for sh, not ksh.
>   2) If you simply *must* use something other than sh, use bash.

Which sh?  "Posix" sh?  Bash?  Ash?  SysV Bourne?  NCR SysV Bourne?
BSD Bourne?  Sh that is really ksh?  Sh that is really ksh93?

You are much better off writing scripts for ksh,  which is far more
consistent amongst ksh implementations,  than sh.  If you are writing
scripts for your personal use,  you should use the most powerful tool
available,  which for Linux systems is ksh93.  The notion that "sh"
is portable is by and large laughable since you must use the principle
of least common denominator and write for that model (BSD sh).  Since
that shell has so few capabilities of its own,  you must depend on
external programs to do all the work,  and then you run into the
portability problems calling and using those programs,  not to mention
the incursion of additional overhead.  As for bash,  one might also
ask "which bash?"

If you  followed the recommendations for ksh88 published many years
ago (well,  at least since 1993),  then scripts written for ksh88
are fully portable to ksh93 and its successors.  If you remember that
pdksh does not execute the last command of a subshell in the process
of the current shell (and thus,  executes all segments of a pipeline
in separate subshells),  then writing scripts that are portable across
all ksh's is simple.

--
Dan Mercer

From: "Igor Borisovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xerces c++ xml-parser + apache module
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:35:44 +0300

Hi!
I'm building Apache module C++ and using Xerces C++ xml parser with it.
the problem is that i'm constantly getting segmentation fault.
Could you advise me what the problem might be?
Can the standard "new" operator be a reason for the problem?
thanks you in advance
Looking forward to your answer

===========================
Igor Borisovsky
Nizhny Novgorod
DataNaut Inc.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:10:07 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> iQXth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I want to be able to install the most basic part of Linux and explore
> > it for what it is. Then add to it. Man pages, command-line apps,
>
> Then DO so. Nothing is stopping you.
>
> > XFree86, X apps, RPM support, etc... I want the experience.
>
> > I hate how after installing a distribution like Redhat I feel like I
>
> So do most people, so don't.
>
> Or at least, if you must use redhat, go through package by package,
> instead of abdicating and letting redhat choose you one of their
> precanned configs.

While I disagree slightly with Peter because I run Red Hat at all
(mainly for historical reasons), I agree that you not load one of
Red Hats canned configurations. I have never found them suitable for
my desktop use. I cannot stand their oversimplified disk
partitioning, for example, or the large number of unnecessary
daemons that they give you. I always take their custom installation
option.

I would suggest that you DO accept their manual pages, however. In
fact, I believe there is an option named something like "Extended
Documentation" and I suggest you accept that one as well. It will
give you most of the HOWTOs and stuff like that. They will be a
little out of date, but imagine you cannot get connected to the
Internet. You will at least be able to get enough information to get
started.

I have left out Apache, since I imagine I will never run a Web
server, and ftp (the server part), since I do not wish to run that
either. I could have left out KDE, since I like GNOME/Enlightenment
better (another minor disagreement I have with Peter), but left it
on my machine because I have a few other users on my machine and I
expect that they might like to use KDE. To start with, however, you
might wish to leave out GNOME/Enlightenment AND KDE AND the entire X
Window System and run your GNU/Linux system the way we used to run
UNIX: Command line interface only. You might wish to choose which
version of the shell you want (in the old days, there was no
choice); I happen to use bash. Likewise, there are a bunch of text
editors around; I happen to use emacs, but it might be easier to
start with vi (and many people never switch from vi; some things are
easier in emacs, some things are easier in vi. So I use both at one
time or another, depending on what I need to do. YMMV).

Before you connect to the Internet, I strongly suggest that you make
sure you have a file /etc/hosts.deny that says:

#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In
particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!

ALL : ALL

That is a listing of mine. Red Hat comes with a file like this that
does not have the ALL : ALL line in it, and I find it a big security
risk. Once you have this file in /etc, you will need another one
called /etc/hosts.allow. To begin with, you may want to make it say:

#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#

ALL : localhost

Mine says more than that, but that is something you will want to
start with. You will want to do a man inetd and man tcpd to
understand this stuff better BEFORE connecting to the Internet. I
suggest getting the book "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh and Lar
Kaufman (O'Reilly & Associates). I have the 2nd Edition Revised &
Updated, but I know the third edition is out and you might as well
get the latest edition. Another useful one for getting started is
"Essential System Administration" by Aeleen Frish (also published by
O'Reilly), but the former one is probably enough to get started
with.
--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 7:55am up 21 days, 16:22, 4 users, load average: 2.07, 2.12,
2.09

------------------------------

From: "blackman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,de.comp.os.unix.networking.misc
Subject: windowsclients beim booten installieren ??
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:10:43 +0100

Hallo Welt !!

Ich möchte meine clients (win98) beim booten automatisch mit einem Image
bestücken, so das die clients automatisch bei jedem booten mit einem neuen
image installiert werden.

Als server wird eine suse7.1 eingesetzt.  Ich habe das ganze schon einmal
gesehen, wobei  dort auf den clients eine linuxpartition vorhanden sein
muste. z.Z. macht der server: dhcp; dns; proxy und sambaserver (ohne weitere
Domänanmeldung). Ich möchte gerne zwei bis drei unterschiedliche Images
verteilen, wo bei feststeht welche macadresse welches Images erhalten soll.
hat damit schon mal jemand erfahrungen gemacht ??

Welche möglichkeiten gibt es da?
Was ist dabei zu beachten?

Danke für Infos, Axel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Subject: Re: about installation of Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:27:05 GMT

In article <3a90ed89$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Raymond So wrote:
>I want to install red hat 7.0 into my winME computer, but after installtion
>it goes into winME no matter i use boot disk or not ....
>what can i do to enter lilo ?

Use Windows browser to surf the install cd.  Here is what you need to learn:

1. How to use the program  .../dosutils/rawrite.exe to copy /images/boot.img
to a floppy.

2. How to boot your computer with the Linux kernel contained in boot.img,
which you put on the floppy.

3. Once you have booted the computer with boot.img, figure out how to
use this to start Linux rather than make another install. You should
be able to do this. I'm not sure about this but I think that when you
boot 'boot.img', the beginning screen will give you directions on this.

4. Then you have to figure out how to make an lilo.conf file and run
/sbin/lilo to install the Linux bootloader.

This will take a little work, but it's all stuff a Linux user needs to
know.  Just be patient and keep trying; you'll get it.  If you hit a snag at
some step just come back with more questions.  Somebody will help.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Jay & Michelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acrobat and Netscape6
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:43:03 GMT

Mike Goldsbury wrote:

> Jay & Michelle wrote:
>
> > Mike Goldsbury wrote:

> > > It's in there but not seen.
> > > Mike
> >
> > /usr/lib/netscape/plugins
> >
> In that location works great in Communicator 4.75 but doesn't help NS6 at
> all.
> Mike

I'm trying to remember what I did... Had the same trouble at first.....But
anywho, 6.01 is slower that shit on a cold day. I went back to 4.76... If
you want Mozilla 0.8 is a little faster that Netcrap 6.0, but it's still
shit.
Also if your interested Opera is available for D/L... Really good, Fast,
Clean.
It's just Netcrap 6.0 is absolutely CRAP.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:00:44 -0500
From: Doug Poulin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Sawfish won't start

Don't know what I did!
Sawfish doesn't start automatically anymore.  I get about 20 gmc errors
(little itty bitty boxes sitting on the taskbar).  I have to click on
the Gnome foot, and go to run, and then type in SAWFISH, and then I'm
OK.
Xmms is also flaking out, so I'm wnodering if I didn't do something
that's hosing everything!  Any guesses?

Thanks!

Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:46:51 -0500
From: John Giddings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard drive space.

What command do I use to show me available hard drive space from the
command line?
Thanks in advance
John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Hard drive space.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:03:17 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:46:51 -0500, John Giddings
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What command do I use to show me available hard drive space from the
>command line?

 df

>Thanks in advance
>John

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Exiting programs.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:04:18 GMT

Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> killed. It's easier to kill a background process: use  ps  to identify
> it and  kill  to kill it.

You can also use bash's job control features. Here's an example of
starting and killing two jobs:

jbuchana@zaphod$ xemacs &
[1] 19098
jbuchana@zaphod$ jobs
[1]+  Running                 xemacs &
jbuchana@zaphod$ xclock &
[2] 19099
jbuchana@zaphod$ jobs
[1]-  Running                 xemacs &
[2]+  Running                 xclock &
jbuchana@zaphod$ kill %1
jbuchana@zaphod$
Lisp backtrace follows:
[... lisp stuff deleted for brevity ...]
[1]-  Terminated              xemacs
jbuchana@zaphod$ jobs
[2]+  Running                 xclock &
jbuchana@zaphod$ kill %2
[2]+  Terminated              xclock
jbuchana@zaphod$ jobs
jbuchana@zaphod$

> If it's the foreground process, it seems to me your friend needs to open
[...]
> There may be better ways to do this, but this has worked for me.

Some programs can be pushed into the background and stopped with
^Z. Then they can be restarted in the background with "bg", or in the
foreground again with "fg". If more than one job is running, you can
specify job numbers to fg and bg as above.

I do have a feeling that if the original poster's friend were to get
involved, we'd discover what he *really* wants to do, I suspect that
this is getting pretty off-base.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: Problem building 2.4.1 with "modules", no vfat no usb  no tulip
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:06:57 GMT

I'm having all sorts of problems with the 2.4.1 kernel ( essentially I
skipped 2.4.0, at least on this machine, I downloaded 2.4.1 this
weekend ).
I specified a bunch of stuff be built into the kernel for example vfat
support, usb support ( and lots of other stuff ).
A lot of stuff fails when I boot.
When  I try to mount a vfat partition mount tells me the kernel
doesn't support vfat. When I try to mount a usbdevfs same thing.

I've upgraded modutils, so that shouldn't be a problem ( allthough
I though that because I built them into the kernel, I would not need
the modules ). lsmod tells me that there is nothing loaded, and when I
look in /lib/modules/2.4.1/ these is just the scrap lying around , no
modules.

I've done all the steps:
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make install
make modules
make modules_install.

At this point I'm not sure what is causing the proble.
System
Dual P-II366.
Mobo SuperMicro DGU.
M 128M