  Re: Pass through printing in telnet session (Frank da Cruz)

From: Chris Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: replacing startx with startx -- +xinerama
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:01:32 GMT

Hello: This weekend I finally got a working config file for using 2
monitors on a g400 max.

My problem however is that right now my etc/inittab file has me going to
only run level 3. if I change this value to 5, the systems takes me to a
graphical logon..but with only one monitor. My guess is that the system
is still strying to run startx as opposed to startx -- +xinerama. Where
do I need to make a change so this can be automoated? Any advice is
appreciated...

P.S. Any idea how I can have the system default to KDE as opposed to
gnome? Thought I would throw this in as well

Chris
Enclosed ar emy XF86Config filke and my /etc/inittab files

*********MY inittab file*************
#
# inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#               the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#               Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing and Donnie Barnes
#

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

# Things to run in every runlevel.
ud::once:/sbin/update

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

# When our UPS tells us power has failed, assume we have a few minutes
# of power left.  Schedule a shutdown for 2 minutes from now.
# This does, of course, assume you have powerd installed and your
# UPS connected and working correctly.
pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"

# If power was restored before the shutdown kicked in, cancel it.
pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

**********My XF86Config File*****************
# File generated by xf86config.

#

Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
SubSection  "extmod"
Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
Load        "type1"
Load        "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
#    Load       "glx"

EndSection

Section "Files"

RgbPath
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier
"Keyboard1"
Driver
"Keyboard"
# For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to "Standard").
# When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
# uncomment the following line.

#    Option     "Protocol"      "Xqueue"

Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
Option "XkbRules"       "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel"       "pc101"
Option "XkbLayout"      "us"
Option "XkbCompat"      ""

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier
"Mouse1"
Driver
"mouse"
Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "817-1"
HorizSync   30-130
VertRefresh 50-180

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "815"
HorizSync   30-130
VertRefresh 50-180

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Standard VGA Device:

Section "Device"
Identifier
"Standard VGA"
VendorName
"Unknown"
BoardName
"Unknown"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

#    Chipset    "generic"

# The Driver line must be present.  When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module.  Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

Driver     "vga"
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.

#    BusID      "PCI:0:10:0"

#    VideoRam   256

#    Clocks     25.2 28.3

EndSection

# Device configured by xf86config:

Section "Device"
Identifier  "maxxx"
Driver      "mga"
# unsupported card
#VideoRam    32777
VideoRam 32768
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "G400_1"
Driver      "mga"
BusID
"PCI:1:0:0"
Screen
0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "G400_2"
Driver      "mga"
BusID
"PCI:1:0:0"
Screen
1
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
Identifier  "Screen 15"
Device      "maxxx"
Monitor     "817-1"
DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
Depth       8
#        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
Modes
     "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth       16
#        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
Modes
     "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth       24
#        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
Modes
     "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier  "Screen 1"
Device      "G400_1"
Monitor     "817-1"
DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
Depth       8
Modes       "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth       16
Modes       "1280x1024
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth       24
Modes       "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier  "Screen 2"
Device      "G400_2"
Monitor     "815"
DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
Depth       8
Modes       "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth       16
Modes       "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth       24
Modes       "1280x1024"
ViewPort    0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# ServerLayout sections.
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present.  Each describes
# the way multiple screens are organised.  A specific ServerLayout
# section may be specified from the X server command line with the
# "-layout" option.  In the absence of this, the first section is used.
# When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
# is used alone.

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
Identifier  "Simple Layout"

# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens.  The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen.  In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.

#    Screen "Screen 1"
Screen "Screen 1" LeftOf "Screen 2"    Screen "Screen 2"

# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used.  Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Reformating /
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:05:36 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk) writes:
> I am ( at present ) compiling the 2.4.1 kernel with jfs support built
> in. After I build the kernel I would like to reformat all my
> filesystems into jfs (except /boot )
> The problem is with a couple of filesystems ( in particular / ) which
> I cannot unmount. Can anyone suggest a way of modifying the /
> partition?

AFAIK, the only way to do this is to use some sort of secondary or
emergency Linux boot system. For instance, you could create an
emergency boot partition, floppy, Zip disk, or the like with JFS
support, back up the root partition to another partition, to tape, to
CD-R, or whatever, boot the emergency disk, reformat the hard disk's
root partition for JFS, restore the backed-up files, modify /etc/fstab
to specify JFS rather than ext2fs, and reboot. Incidentally, you'll need
such an emergency system in case of disaster anyhow, so you might as
well build it now.

Is JFS really usable as a root filesystem? The last I checked (a few
months back), it worked, but had quite a few problems. Progress was
rapid, so I can believe it's useable now; I just want to flag this as a
possible problem so you don't go to a lot of unnecessary effort. You
should ask on the JFS mailing list or the like to find out how useable
it is.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Subject: Re: Display multipage TIFF files?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:06:21 -0000

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:53:41 GMT, Adrian Mariano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Lately I've been receiving multipage TIFF files.  Is there any
>software out there that can display these things?  I've tried xv, the
>PBM utilities, GIMP and imagemagick and none of these can get past the
>first page.  (However, if I reboot into Windows, which I hadn't had to
>do for several months, the file displays automatically using the
>default viewer.)  Can anybody suggest some way that I can view these
>files from within Linux?

ImageMagick WILL do it: I have ImageMagick-4.2.9-1 (rpm), not particularly
recent). I found it was important to set the geometry, otherwise most TIFFS
have so many pixels it would display the images largely oversized. I wrote
a simple script to do this:

#!/bin/sh
display -geometry 600x800! $1

I call it TIFshow (make sure to chmod u+x it), then just:

[steve@bogus MultiPageTiff]$ ./TIFshow DOCUMENT.tif

and it will open on the first page, just right-mouse and select 'next' to
go to the next page.
--
Steve S.

yubdub
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
remove CLOTHES before replying

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:32:53 +0000

Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>>Perhaps someone from a barren nuclear devastated future assassinated JFK to
>>prevent nuclear war. Just as likely as Oswald doing it alone.
>>

> I love it! That's now my favorite JFK assassination theory! :-)
> We can call it the "terminator theory".

Nahhhh... My favourite is the red dwarf theory.
Lister, Kryten and Rimmer find a time machine and travel back in time,
finding themselves in a book warehouse.

They knock Oswald out of the window just as he's about to shoot, and when
they return to the future, everything's changed...

So they travel back again 2 or three times to stop themselves from knocking
him out, or to stop him from being on the same floor, and fail each time...

So they travel 30 years into the future where Kennedy is being imprisoned on
corruption charges, and convince him to save his political reputation and
become a national hero by assasinating himself from the grassy knoll...

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:58:18 +0000

Yvan Loranger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> "Harlan Grove" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock) wrote:
>>> . . . We engineers should have kept computers for the exclusive
>>>use of engineers. Engineers used to have a code of excellence in my
>>>days in the profession. The PDP-6 operating system reflected this
>>>excellence.
>>
>> Gee, I'm a mathematician by education. Should I never have been given a
>> computer?

> Don't worry, computers were invented by mathematicians, not engineers;
> remember Boole, Babbage, Von Neuman?

Don't forget Turing...

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: How to extract single file from .rpm?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:08:10 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Christopher R. Carlen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Can this be done?  I spent a while looking through all the RPM options,
> and wound up having to install the RPM relocated to a temp directory,
> where I could then copy the file out from the whole bunch.  The RPM
> wasn't relocatable so I couldn't use --prefix, so I had to --relocate
> several target directories and --badreloc too.  I had to build a 3-line
> long command!  When you start entering 3-line commands, you know your
> involvement in this Linux thing has gone too far. :-D

RPMs are basically cpio archives with stuff added. I believe there's a
utility that'll let cpio deal with the thing, or that'll convert it into
a cpio archive. Similarly, the alien package will convert RPMs to
tarballs, so you could do that and then use tar on the package.
Converting from RPM to cpio or tar format is hardly what I'd call an
elegant solution, but it sounds better than what you've done.

From: "Lev Babiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem building 2.4.1 with "modules", no vfat no usb  no tulip
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:40:45 +0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

If you specify vfat to be built into kernel it should build the object,
and compile it into kernel, not as a module though. If after that kernel
complains about not being able to support vfat, I'd check if the correct
kernel is booting (uname -a), and then check what file systems it
supports (cat /proc/filesystems), if the correct kernel is booting
(uname -a gives a build date you cna check), but it doesn't support the
fs even though you configured it to do so, do a full build procedure,
dumping output to file then grep it for vfat to see where its compiled
and linked.

Lev

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Pass through printing in telnet session
Date: 19 Feb 2001 18:09:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steven Conway  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 19 Feb 2001 16:24:18 GMT,
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz) wrote:
: >Right.  The regular Linux Telnet client doesn't do anything at all with
: >printer on/off escape sequences, and as far as I know, neither does the
: >xterm window nor the console driver.  If they did, you probably would not
: >be asking about it.
:
: Thanks Frank It worked great.  I noticed that This version of C-Kermit
: is licensed as "Open Source" so there should be no problem using it on
: Linux boxes, right?
:
There is no problem using it on Linux.  The license is not exactly Open
Source, it's "Open Source Friendly".  Anybody can download it for their own
use or their company's internal use without a license, and it can be included
without license in Open Source operating system distributions such as Linux,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, and in fact you find C-Kermit included in some
of them already.  More would be better.

- Frank