Linux-Misc Digest #161, Volume #27               Mon, 19 Feb 01 13:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: Problem building 2.4.1 with "modules", no vfat no usb  no tulip (Thaddeus L
Olczyk)
  Re: Reformating / (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
  Re: Multi-threads (pthreads) & Socket. ("Rick Goh")
  Re: Pass through printing in telnet session (Frank da Cruz)
  Re: Multi-threads (pthreads) & Socket. (blix)
  Writing to Linux partition with Ltools ("doug edmunds")
  How to extract single file from .rpm? ("Christopher R. Carlen")
  looking up http:/../~user ("Sudhakar R.")
  Re: Gnorpm and rpm 4 (Robert Morelli)
  Re: Pass through printing in telnet session (Steven Conway)
  Re: Politics (was Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else) (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Configuring NFS ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Reformating / ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: tar archive error ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Slackware 7.1 install problem (Eric Ho)
  fwtmp? (Doug O'Leary)
  Re: Netscape 4.76 with Junkbuster Proxy (fred smith)
  Re: Politics (was Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else) (Bloody Viking)
  Re: fwtmp? (Michael Heiming)
  Reading CD-volumelabel? (Michael Schaarwaechter)
  Re: looking up http:/../~user (Peter Eddy)
  hard disk problem (Vijay S Dhaka)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: Re: Problem building 2.4.1 with "modules", no vfat no usb  no tulip
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:16:16 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:56:41 +0500, "Lev Babiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>2.4.x and late 2.3.x kernels have a different dir structure for modules.
>Do you have any subdirs in /lib/modules/2.4.1? modules themselves can be
>burried deep in subdir strucutre, i.e.
>/lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o
Just dummy.o in a net subdir
Fond by:
find /lib/modules/2.4.1 -name *.o

>if they are not there, I'd say do make modules_install and look through
>the output to see if there were problems installing modules.

1) I've noticed modules in the source path.
2) My understanding was that if I choose 'y", the subsystem
    would be built into the kernel, then the module would not
     be needed. If I wanted modules, I would have to specify
     m.

So it seems like modules are being built even though I don't want them
( during make bzImage ) and modules are not being install when I don't
want them.
The question is how do  get the modules actually buyilt in the kernel
and not have to rely on the externel module files.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: Re: Reformating /
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:16:55 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:40:24 +0100, "Nils O. Selasdal"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>There are several jfs, i suppose you mean reiserfs.
No I mean jfs.

------------------------------

From: "Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,alt.os.linux,comp.programming.threads,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Multi-threads (pthreads) & Socket.
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:26:23 +0800

Solved. All thanks to Thomas Vogler!!

The program does work and multi-threading using pthread does execute both
threads simultaneously. I thought there was a problem because apparently 10
loops were executed so fast that 1st thread finished before 2nd thread can
even start... I need to try >> 1000 before i see "hello world hello world
..."

=)

"Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3a912bfb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,
> I'm working on socket programming.
>
> There's a need to process SEND & RECEIVE
> from the same socket at the same time.
>
> This is required as I need to calculate the delay
> when i send and receive from an echo server elsewhere.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge in this? Or can anyone post me some
> documentation for reference?
>
> Below is a code obtained from LJ34. However, after running the compiled
code
> (cc helloworld.c -o helloworld -lpthread), the output is still
SYNCHRONOUS,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Pass through printing in telnet session
Date: 19 Feb 2001 16:24:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steven Conway  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 17 Feb 2001 19:26:51 GMT,
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz) wrote:
:
: > Use C-Kermit 7.1 as your Telnet client:
: >
: >  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck71.html
: >
: > Pass-through printing is explained here:
: >
: >  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit2.html#x3.3
: >
: > Note: this feature was added in C-Kermit 7.0 but it had a bug, which
: > is fixed in C-Kermit 7.1.

: Thanks Frank will check it out.  I take it pass through printing is
: not supported in the standard telnet session ?
:
Right.  The regular Linux Telnet client doesn't do anything at all with
printer on/off escape sequences, and as far as I know, neither does the
xterm window nor the console driver.  If they did, you probably would not
be asking about it.

- Frank

From: blix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:43:46 GMT

"Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Below is a code obtained from LJ34. However, after running the compiled code
> (cc helloworld.c -o helloworld -lpthread), the output is still SYNCHRONOUS,
> i.e. the output doesn't interleave...

> void* outputMsg( void* msg )
> {
>   int i;
>   for( i = 0; i < 10; ++i ) {
>     pthread_mutex_lock( &printfLock );
>     printf( (char*)msg );
>     pthread_mutex_unlock( &printfLock );
>   }
>   return NULL;
> }

Of course the output is synchronous because you have it protected by a
mutex. A mutex is like a hall pass in school. Only one person can use
the hall pass to go to the bathroom at a time.

--
blix
z = z^2 + c : islands of order in a sea of chaos

------------------------------

From: "doug edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Writing to Linux partition with Ltools
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:00:38 -0800

I have a dual drive/dual boot Win98/Linux box=20
and put Ltools 5.2.1 on the Win drive. =20
I have used lreadsrv.exe / IE5 successfully=20
to read the Linux partition without problem.

I have not yet tried writing to the partition
Has anyone tried Ltools for writing?
Any problems?

Info about Ltoolst:
  http://www.it.fht-esslingen.de/~zimmerma/software/lread.html

-- doug edmunds

From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to extract single file from .rpm?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:02:11 -0800

Can this be done?  I spent a while looking through all the RPM options,
and wound up having to install the RPM relocated to a temp directory,
where I could then copy the file out from the whole bunch.  The RPM
wasn't relocatable so I couldn't use --prefix, so I had to --relocate
several target directories and --badreloc too.  I had to build a 3-line
long command!  When you start entering 3-line commands, you know your
involvement in this Linux thing has gone too far. :-D

It seems there must be a more straightforward way to get a single
specific file out of an RPM (or regexp) and send it where I want it to
go.

Thanks for input.
--
_______________________
Christopher R. Carlen

------------------------------

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: looking up http:/../~user
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:01:26 -0500

I recently got apache running on my RH 7.0 box and things went off with
out a hitch. http request to my <servername> turns up the default
index.html from redhat.

i've also created a public_html dir in my $HOME and put in a index.html
in it and set the right permissions for both public_html and the
index.html. but when i try to access http://<servername>/~user ..i get "no
permission to access /~user.

can someone plz tell me what i'm missing.
thanx in advance
-sud

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:11:23 -0500
From: Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnorpm and rpm 4

Anurodh Pokharel wrote:

> This is strange..
> has anyone else here had trouble getting gnorpm to work with rpm 4?
> it appears that it does not work with version abouve rpm 3 but that is
> mentioned nowhere. infact at rpm.org there a link going to gnorpm.

If you poke around a little more on rpm.org you'll realize that there
is *no* documentation *at all* more recent than a couple of years
old.  This is despite the opening statement on the site that,
``This site aims to bring you the latest and most up to date information on
the RPM software packaging tool which is taking the world by storm. ''
Many consider rpm 4 an experimental release.  Unfortunately,
the hackers writing rpm don't have the professionalism to understand
the necessity of distributing adequate documentation.

Welcome to Linux.  Unfortunately,  this is par for the course.
A lot of your time will be spent struggling with largely undocumented
software that doesn't work right.  If you don't have the stomach for
that,  go back to Windows.

> I am a bit puzzled.
> gnorpm worked fine as long as i had rpm 3 as soon as i installed 4, i get
> an error saying
>
> error in loading shared libraries:/usr/lib/librpm.so.0: undefined symbol
> fdio

There is a version of rpm intended to bridge from version 3 to 4.  (If
I remember,  it's version 3.05 or 3.06 -- better double check.)  With
this version you'll be able to install rpm's created with rpm 4.x

------------------------------

From: Steven Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:09:21 -0500

On 19 Feb 2001 16:24:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da
Cruz) wrote:

>Right.  The regular Linux Telnet client doesn't do anything at all with
>printer on/off escape sequences, and as far as I know, neither does the
>xterm window nor the console driver.  If they did, you probably would not
>be asking about it.
>
>- Frank

Thanks Frank It worked great.  I noticed that This version of C-Kermit
is licensed as "Open Source" so there should be no problem using it on
Linux boxes, right?  I also noticed that you are one of the authors of
the "Using C-Kermit" Book.   Good job.

I  assure you that we will be purchasing copies of this book to help
you in the ongoing work in C-Kermit.

Steven.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Politics (was Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else)
Date: 19 Feb 2001 17:11:30 GMT

Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: So why did Gore only challenge the counts in DEMONCROOK-controlled
: counties?

You'll get no argument out of me about democrats being crooks. After all, I
live in Chicago, the home base of crooked Dems.

What sucks is that the GOP is not one bit - let alone one byte - above the
criminality of the Dems. Chances are, we will NEVER know the outcome of the
Florida debacle, due to the stupid voters too stupid to operate a fucking
stylus.

Early on with the debacle, I came to accept Bush v.2.0 as the winner. I did
not necessarily like the result, but I accepted the result. Something has to
be said about the sorters being fair, even if I didn't like the result. The
original recount was a done deal. It should have ended there, once the sorters
were done counting.

Where I work, we have lots of mail sorting machines, so I'm plenty familiar
with sorters. Sorters are unbiased barring a crooked programmer. All the bad
chads are ignored with the counting machines, no matter the candidate the bad
chad is for. It's the only fair way to count the votes, given the voting
apparatus used.

In any case, vote counting machines should be open source, so anyone can
inspect the sourcecode to prevent any chance of a crook programmer tampering
with an election. We may never have to worry about mail sorters, but vote
counting machines have to be open source to ensure election fairness in all
future elections.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring NFS
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:08:19 +0100

Andreas Moroder <amoroder@se-nord.[nospam]provinz.bz.it> wrote:
> OK, the question was a little bit unprecise.

> I know 'vi' but I wanted a tool to set all the parameters in /etc/exports.

There aren't any. Just name of export, and list of IPs to which you
wish to export it (and follow that with any options like ro that are
nondefault in parens, separated by commas).

> I installed the latested version of webmin and now all works.

Eh? Why would you need a web based tool to edit a file on your own
machine?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:05:56 +0100

Thaddeus L Olczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:40:24 +0100, "Nils O. Selasdal"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>There are several jfs, i suppose you mean reiserfs.
> No I mean jfs.

and reiserfs isn't quite a jfs, either! Though you wouldn't notice the
difference.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar archive error
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:10:05 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wolfgang Batrla wrote:
>>
>> reading a tar archive i encountered the error message:
>> "unexpected end of file in archive
>> error is not recoverable: exiting now"
>> is it possible to recover the data from that tape, despite
>> the error message?

> Probably not. That was one of the reasons Bell Labs replaced tar
> with cpio in their UNIX distributions. I forget when that was, but I
> believe it was before 1980. It was the Berkeley Unix people that
> insisted in keeping tar. IMAO, tar is unsuitable for tape backups
> because of this deficiency.

It is bad, I agree. There are some defenses, but not many.
If you use bzip2 instead of gzip, you can recover nondamaged segments.
I believe you can then get the tar records back out again, though
memory fails me as to how hard I had to try last time.

Petre

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slackware 7.1 install problem
Date: 19 Feb 2001 17:14:59 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to install Slackware 7.1 on my PC on the third hard
disk, but I couldn't get LILO to work correctly.
Configuration :
Primary Master   : 1.7G (Win98, FAT 32)
Primary Slave    : 3.2G (Win98, FAT 32)
Secondary Master : CD ROM
Secondary Slave  : 13G (Linux)

The 13G hard disk is dedicated for Linux, only 2 partitions are
created : / and swap (150M or so).

I think the LILO version is new enough to handle >1024 cylinder,
it is version 21.6-1, but I am not sure about my motherboard.
It is a very old ASUS T2P4
It is a very old ASUS T2P4 (bios 0207 beta 2) running a K6-2 450
with 128Meg RAM.

Anyway, every time I re-run LILO, it gives the following error :
Warning: BIOS drive 0x83 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x83 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x83 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x83 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x83 may not be accessible
Added linux *
Added dos

Can someone tell me if there is anything I can do ? Will it solve the
problem if I make the 13G hard disk Primary Master ?

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fwtmp?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:10:57 GMT

Hey;

On other unices, I use fwtmp to trim off specific records from
the wtmp file.  Linux doesn't appear to have one of those -
at least not my Mandrake 6.0 system.  Anyone have source and/or
an rpm for this program?

Thanks.

Doug

--
========================
Douglas K. O'Leary

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.76 with Junkbuster Proxy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:34:01 GMT

Art <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have been running Junkbuster-2.0.2-8  with Netscape 4.75 under
: RH6.2 for some time with no problems.

: I recently updated to Netscape 4.76.  The browser now hangs when
: I first try to go on line.  The message in the lower tray is
: "Connect: Looking up host: localhost".  It appears that the
: browser and Junkbuster are not communicating.

: If I temporarily disable Junkbuster, go to a URL, then re-enable
: the proxy, Junkbuster works as it is supposed to.

: The Netscape Manual HTTP and Security proxies are set to
: localhost, Port 8000.  Junkbuster is configured to use port 8000.

: Ideas? Thanks.

Have you tried using the explicit IP address of localhost instead of
the text "localhost" ? I've seen that sometimes work differently with
some browsers...

Fred
 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 19 Feb 2001 17:23:41 GMT

Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: It still doesn't change the fact that by challenging their counts,
: Gore was calling the Democrat-run election boards a bunch of liars.

And the FL debacle added new words to American English. Those multiple choice
test things are suddenly "ballots", and you can always demand a recount if you
fail.

As far as the FL debacle itself, we didn't need any three-count. The recount
was enough already.

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fwtmp?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:25:16 +0100

Doug O'Leary wrote:

> Hey;
>
> On other unices, I use fwtmp to trim off specific records from
> the wtmp file.  Linux doesn't appear to have one of those -
> at least not my Mandrake 6.0 system.  Anyone have source and/or
> an rpm for this program?

Never heard of fwtmp, you could rip of something from wtmp like this:

cd /var/log ; who wtmp |awk '{ if (! ($1 ~  /root/))  print $0}'

Michael Heiming

From: Michael Schaarwaechter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reading CD-volumelabel?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:27:58 +0100

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to read a volumelabel of a CD from Linux. I
found no hint in any manpage.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

                 Uni Dortmund, Library
                 Vogelpothsweg 76, D-44227 Dortmund

------------------------------

From: Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking up http:/../~user
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:35:00 -0500

"Sudhakar R." wrote:

> I recently got apache running on my RH 7.0 box and things went off with
> out a hitch. http request to my <servername> turns up the default
> index.html from redhat.
>
> i've also created a public_html dir in my $HOME and put in a index.html
> in it and set the right permissions for both public_html and the
> index.html. but when i try to access http://<servername>/~user ..i get "no
> permission to access /~user.

It's been a while, but I believe you just need to be sure that all
directories in the path to the user's public_html directory have been
chmod o+x and on the public_html directory, chmod o+rx.

------------------------------

From: Vijay S Dhaka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: hard disk problem
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:27:43 +0530

Hi ...
 I have a problem with my hard disk (Seagate Barracuda ATA II)
Sometimes when I try to copy or move some file gen greater than 2-3 mb
Suddenly the following error creeps in

hda : status times out:status=0x80 {Busy}
hda :drive not ready for command
ide0:reset timed-out ,status =0x80
Also If I reset the machine,the BIOS does not recognize the HD.
And I have to switch off and on the machine again in order to start the
system again..

Apart from this the HD seem to be fine and works 4 days without any
problem....

The problem seem to be not so uncommon because just searching on google
I found lot of such messages with sim.. problem but could not find a
solution

Hoping someone knows the answer
thanx in advance

dhaka