From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:50:17 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> As I was saying.  To force the REPUBLICAN TO BUY A LICENSE
> for every copy of Microsoft Windows installed on every machine
> would be ALIEN and UNKNOWN to him!
>
> It would be as alien as not having prayer in schools!
> It would be as alien as not being able to buy a gun!
> It would be as alien as anybody who's not a christian!
>
> And then there is AK.

HEHEHEHE

> >Fuck that.
> >
> >the only fair taxes are sales taxes and "head taxes"
> >
> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >this situation.
> >
> >Head tax...*EVERY* able-bodied adult should pay a minimum, across-the-board
> >tax.  NO EXCEPTIONS.
> >
> >Oh, and no deductions for having kids....we should NOT be subsidizing what
> >people are going to do anyways;
> >and if you can't afford kids, then DON'T HAVE THEM  (Reliable Birth control
> >has been available for decades now).
>
> It would be as alien to them as preaching Birth Control!
> GOD SAVE YOUR SOUL AK.....
>
> If we can't steal copyrighted Windows then must we practice birth control
> too Mr. AK.  I'm positive the planet can contain 10 billion people.

Yes, remember the wild-eyed Rumors of food shortages by 1980...well, here
it is, 2000, and the biggest problem we have is obesity...and in the 3rd
world....population densities shooting up
because kids aren't dying of
malnutrition at the rate they used to do.'

Some disaster.

You could pack the ENTIRE population of the world into single-family
suburban homes, on standard 1950's-sized subdivision lots.....within
the space of the United States....leaving the ENTIRE rest of the
world uninhabitated for agriculture.

Re-arrange that a bit...and you can see that no matter where you are,
agricultural land is within a reasonable distance (other than Japan,
which, due to it being a an island that's not small enough, nor
large enough, has the only genuine population problem on to speak of).

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:48:01 GMT

On 19 Feb 2001 22:13:36 -0500 Hartmann Schaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>the problem is to determine what actually is required (like that roof of the
>hockey arena in new england that caved in because the amount of snow in one
>winter by far exceeded what is usually expected in that area)

Well that, plus basic engineering mistakes -- see WHY BUILDINGS FALL
DOWN by Levy and Salvadori (if memory serves).
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:59:37 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:
>
> >> That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
> >> was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
> >> proving a historical event.
>
> > Zapruder film.
> > Autopsy.
> > Funeral.
>
> > Case closed.
>
> Ah, so there are other ways than direct observation and
> repeateable experimental results to "know" something?

Those are direct observations, you twit.

> Good, we are getting somewhere.
>
> So, we both have faith in the historical record?
>
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
>
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
>
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
>
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
>
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Jon Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: stupid mistake
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:58:52 +0000

olliecat wrote:

> Booting from the RH 7.0 cd I have two mount points /mnt/runtime and
> /mnt/source
> - no system.  mount reports:
>
> /tmp/cdrom /mnt/source
> /tmp/loop /mnt/runtime
>
> There's got to be way to do this without necessitating a re-install, I
> just
> don't know enough about the internals to do it.  But there is a good side
> to all of this.

Redhat boot CDs have a modified mknod - you can just type "mknod hda1" for
example and it will act as if you typed "mknod hda1 b 3 1".  So when you
boot in rescue mode, just create the nodes you need for your particular
machine (e.g. mknod /dev/hda1; mknod /dev/hda2) then mount them (e.g. mkdir
/tmp/system; mount /dev/hda1 /tmp/system; mount /dev/hda2 /tmp/system/usr)

Jon.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is my server sending information to Redhat?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 04:07:45 GMT

"Ernest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Holy Smokes! What's this crap about? This is the kind of BS that
> Microsoft pulls. Is it time to begin refering to Redhat as the
> Microsoft of the Linux community? Do all versions of Redhat 7 behave
> in this way, or is it just the server? I'm really bothered by
> this. I know that Redhat is trying to be corporate but is it also
> trying to be big brother?

> Does SuSE "feature" this same security breech?

How typical.

Any time RHAT does _anything at all_, the _first_ reaction of a
sizable population of trolls is to draw whatever parallels to
Microsoft that they can make up.

It is quite clear that RHAT can never do _anything_ right.

-> If they install a process that looks for security updates and other
   such bug fixes, they're obviously "doing a Microsoft" by being Big
   Brother.

-> If they _don't_ have a process that makes it easy to pull security
   updates and such, they're obviously "doing a Microsoft" by not
   bothering to provide fixes on a competently timely basis.

They'll get bashed if they do this; they'll get bashed if they don't.

They got rightly bashed for the GCC 2.96 debacle.  They got a rightly
blackened eye on early adoption of GLIBC 2, but _for the wrong
reasons_.  (They forgot to observe that GLIBC 2.0 was _specifically
billed_ as "experimental.")
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/xwindows.html

------------------------------

From: "Cjv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: What am I missing?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 04:13:00 GMT

My guess is that you formatted the drive with FAT. Drives formatted with fat
can be particularly testy when it comes to permissions.

"D F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:96s3dn$p4q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acrobat and Netscape6
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:58:31 GMT

Don't MIME me :)
Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Helper Application->
Extension: PDF
MIME Type: application/pdf
Application: /usr/local/bin/acroread

1/5 of Real Player still does not work.  All Real Player mime extensions
work except for the plug-in itself.
Plugger does not work.
Flash 4 works but Flash 5 does not work under either Netscape 4.76 or 6.0
under KDE but works on Gnome.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: fastest SCSI CDROM drive
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Feb 2001 22:11:29 -0600

    Robert> These Nx numbers for CDROM drives are somewhat deceptive.
    Robert> These are *instantaneous* transfer rates and are a
    Robert> function of rotation speed.  There are two major gotchas
    Robert> for ALL CDROM drives:

Thanks for the very helpful response.  I was beginning to fear that
given the high entry price on most SCSI items, that the IDE bus was
winning out due to an economy of scale.  Your response suggests that
this is not the case.

It also explains why one of my damned CDROM drives is constantly
spinning up and down and is slow as hell.  It must be pinning up,
working in burst mode, flooding the bus, and spinning back down.  Its
damned annoying is what it is.

What is MTBF?  (Mean time before failure?)  A quick web search
suggested that it is measured in hours, usually lots of them.

In any case, this helps a lot.  Am I to infer from your response that
most any SCSI CDROM will probably deliver the max speed, that is 8x?

John Hunter

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:34:35 -0800

E J wrote:

> Don't MIME me :)
> Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Helper Application->
> Extension: PDF
> MIME Type: application/pdf
> Application: /usr/local/bin/acroread
>
> 1/5 of Real Player still does not work.  All Real Player mime extensions
> work except for the plug-in itself.
> Plugger does not work.
> Flash 4 works but Flash 5 does not work under either Netscape 4.76 or 6.0
> under KDE but works on Gnome.
>
> Mike Goldsbury wrote:
>
> > Jay & Michelle wrote:

You'd think so, wouldn't you.  Wanna hear something sick?

When I installed Acrobat as a plugin for NS4.75 it hijacked all my other
plugins by registering /usr/local/Acrobat4/Browsers/intellinux/ as
Netscape's defined plugin directory.  After screwing around for a LONG time
trying to get things to work I threw in the towel and copied all the
plugins to that subdirectory.  Acroread is still a piece of shit, of
course, but it reads more .pdf files than xpdf.

> > > /usr/lib/netscape/plugins
> > >
> > In that location works great in Communicator 4.75 but doesn't help NS6 at
> > all.
> > Mike

Bev
         Horn broken.  Watch for finger.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 04:47:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer) writes:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>Engineering is about cost vs. benefit.
>
>>Building a bridge that's four times as strong as it needs to be is
>>not a good design.  You've incurred extra cost with no extra
>>benifit.

>>You've used up resources and money that could have been spent on
>>something else (another bridge, for example).  Engineering is about
>>being able to figure out how strong a bridge needs to be (with a
>>safety margin) and build it that strong.  Not stronger, not weaker.

> the problem is to determine what actually is required (like that
> roof of the hockey arena in new england that caved in because the
> amount of snow in one winter by far exceeded what is usually
> expected in that area)

.. And if it happens to be _cheap_ to severely overbuild some aspect
of that bridge, then it may be more economical to do so.  There are
likely to be bolts and fasteners on not-critically-load-bearing parts
of a bridge that will be spectacularly stronger than they could
_conceivably_ need to be, and nobody worries about that.  They might
save $5K on fasteners, but might find they have to do $50K of
additional design verification in the process.

Knuth pointed it out fairly well:
   "We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the
    time: premature optimization is the root of all evil."  -- Donald
    Knuth

Writing a system in assembly language has the merit that you start
performance tuning _instantly_.

But has the substantial demerit that it becomes _ludicrously_
non-portable.  [Unless you're a genius like Scott Nudds.  :-).]

Part of where the GNU Project came from to bring us the tools that
allowed Linux to become useful was a reaction to the obsolescence of
ITS.  ITS was an OS written in assembly language for a system that
Digital then end-of-lifed, thereby making it Ludicrously Obsolete even
while it was still useful to people.

We do not know for sure what architectures will be in use five years
from now; since Linux runs on a whole lot of them, we can be
reasonably certain that Linux will continue to be usable regardless of
whether Intel "wins" the architecture wars with IA-64, or AMD with
"Sledgehammer," or if StrongARM or SPARC or MIPS or Alpha wind up
being favored.  Or something else we know not of.

We can be quite certain that any OS written specifically for a 32 bit
CPU [such as IA-32] will be ludicrously incompatible with upcoming 64
bit architectures.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/internet.html

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:33:42 GMT

Bob Surenko writes:
> Materialism claims that nothing can be known but from observation of the
> 5 senses.

> I'm arguing that there are other ways to know something. In this case the
> historical record.

You claim to possess a method of gaining access to the historical record
that does not involve the senses?
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)