From: Oliver Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: insmod
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:07:53 +0100

Mike Wilson wrote:

> Hi All,
>         I am having problems installing a module, I use
> /sbin/insmod mobitex.o
>
> but I get this error
> mobitex.o: unresolved symbol waitqueue_lock
>
> I have Red Hat 6.0 ...what do i need to do to get this working?
>
> Mike

Use /sbin/modprobe instead.It tries to resolve the dependencies for your
module and preloads the missing modules. Relies on
/lib/modules/your.kernel.version.here/modules.dep,which is build my
depmod.

Oli

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: batch files in linux
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:17:01 +0100

Nils O. Selåsdal wrote ...
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I have a batch file that needs to be converted in a linux shell script.
>>
>> The .bat file looks like:
>>
>> PATH \WINNT\system32\;\WINNT\;\java\bin\;\java\libSET
>>
>CLASSPATH=\java\lib\classes.zip;.;\java\lib\comm.jar;\java\lib\Audio.jar;\j
>> ava\lib\Ftp.jar
>#!/bin/sh
>export PATH=$PATH:\WINNT\system32\:\WINNT\:\java\bin\:\java\libSET
>export
>CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:\java\lib\classes.zip:.:\java\lib\comm.jar:\java\lib\A
>dio.jar:\java\lib\Ftp.jar
>

>notice colon : instead of semicolon ;
>and read bash documentation
>man bash

Observe that Linux (in contrast to DOS/Windows systems) does *not* allow you
to change the path of a program calling another program, i.e. you cannot
change the path of your current shell by invoking a shell script. Most
modern shells do allow you to do the equivalent by allowing you to issue
commands to the current shell from a script (i.e. not by calling the
script).

In bash you can do this with the command "." (dot).

Try making a script (say "x") in the current directory like this:

---- Begin: Cut here ----
#! /bin/bash

X=27
---- End: Cut here ---

Then try these commands:

X=2
echo $X
./x
echo $X
. ./x
echo $X

Observe that X does not change from the first echo to the second but changes
from the second to the third.

  /TRY

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW DO I KILL THIS PROCESS?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:16:18 -0500

Juergen Heinzl wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> >I was trying to install a new version of vixie-cron using rpm, and
> >it just locked up. Here is its entry in the top listing:
> >  PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM  CTIME
> >COMMAND
> >14897 root       0   0    222  1024 1024   640 D     0.0  0.1   0:00
> >rpm -Fvh vixie-cron-3.0.1-40.1.i386.rpm
> >
> >The D in the STAT column means that an ordinary kill -9 14897 will
> >not work until the process completes some IO operation that
> >obviously will never complete. I know I could reboot my entire
> >system to get over this, but there must be a better way. I cannot
> >install this RPM (or even run rpm at all) because it cannot create a
> >shared lock (or something like that). I assume that rpm has set up
> >an exclusive lock on its database and nothing will break loose that
> >lock until that process does an exit.
> >
> >So how to I get it off without rebooting?
> [-]
> You can't .. end of story,

I figured that, but I hoped I was wrong. I wonder what the trouble
is. If I reboot, I still want to install that rpm.

Grrrrr.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:22:11 GMT

Robert Surenko writes:
> I agree, however, you are using deductive reasoning to gain insight, not
> the Scientific Method.

So what?

> My question to a Materialist is How do we know that a Historical event
> happen when it's belief could simply be a rush of hormones?

My question to a spiritualist is "How do we know that a historical event
happened when it's belief could simply be a miracle?"
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help me
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:25:03 +0100

Aro wrote ...
>my problem is:
>i got 1 linux server serv for lan internetworking
>1 NT server for http, telnet, ftp service or
>hotvoice.com
>each of them got 1 static ip so my company have to
>lease 2 line to access to internet
>now my boss want to decrease the number of lease line
>so i have to set up 1 server linux which can redirect
>request from hotvoice.com to NT server also it can
>serv for many domain dot com by virtual host
>what will i do to set up for this purpose
>thank
>trong van ho
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Look for ipchains/iptables with masquerading and port forwarding (I don't
remember the name of the program for port forwarding -- maybe ipportfwadm or
some such?).

As long as the Linux box and the NT box does not provide the same services
(like web-server), this behaviour is easily possible with the Linux box on
the outside and the NT box on the inside. Do yourself a favour, though, and
set up sound firewall rules to protect your systems and make sure you're not
an open mail relay -- we've got enough spam as it is.

Sorry I haven't got more time to help you better right now.

  /TRY

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:34:42 -0500

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Juergen Heinzl wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> > >I was trying to install a new version of vixie-cron using rpm, and
> > >it just locked up. Here is its entry in the top listing:
> > >  PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM  CTIME
> > >COMMAND
> > >14897 root       0   0    222  1024 1024   640 D     0.0  0.1   0:00
> > >rpm -Fvh vixie-cron-3.0.1-40.1.i386.rpm
> > >
> > >The D in the STAT column means that an ordinary kill -9 14897 will
> > >not work until the process completes some IO operation that
> > >obviously will never complete. I know I could reboot my entire
> > >system to get over this, but there must be a better way. I cannot
> > >install this RPM (or even run rpm at all) because it cannot create a
> > >shared lock (or something like that). I assume that rpm has set up
> > >an exclusive lock on its database and nothing will break loose that
> > >lock until that process does an exit.
> > >
> > >So how to I get it off without rebooting?
> > [-]
> > You can't .. end of story,
>
> I figured that, but I hoped I was wrong. I wonder what the trouble
> is. If I reboot, I still want to install that rpm.
>
> Grrrrr.

I checked the MD5 checksum of the rpm, hoping I got a bad download.
I forgot to check before. Unfortunately, the checksum was correct.
So I rebooted and it went in just fine. It is things like that that
seem to keep me from ever getting a good uptime.

I still want to achieve Noah's record of 40 days and nights. Of
course, if I ever get that, I will want more.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 4:30pm up 4 min, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.13, 0.06

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman)
Subject: xmms: Glib thread support is disabled
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:34:48 GMT

I just finished installing GNOME on my 'puter.  I compiled everything from
source.

I now have two instances of glib on my computer: the one I installed (via
epkg) and Debian's glib.

I used to have Debian's xmms installed.  But when I tried to run it, I got
the following error:

        GThread-ERROR **: GLib thread support is disabled.
        aborting...

So I downloaded the source, compiled and epkg'd it (epkg is similar to GNU
stow; it lets to easily maintain /usr/local), and I get the same error.

Anyone know what's wrong here?  Anyway around it withoug recompiling my
GLib?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer."

------------------------------

From: Oliver Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Help: apache access denied...problems
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:37:32 +0100

"David. E. Goble" wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I need help. Iam running redhat 6.2. For some reason my www server
> (apache) will not let me have access rights.
>
> Oh and I have just installed netatalk-1_4b2+asun2_1_4-0_i386.rpm.
>
> here are some of the config files...;
> [ snip ]

Has the user under which apache runs,access to /home/httpd/html ?

Oli

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is this?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:37:49 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > rpc.statd running. It does not appear in /etc/inetd.conf, so I
>> > suppose it is difficult to protect from Internet crackers. But what
>> > is especially dangerous about this one compared to something like
>> Nothing in particular .. it's just been rather weak against buffer overflow
>> exploits lately. I am very happy with mine :-).
>>
>> You should firewall and hosts.deny it off, though.

> My entire hosts.deny contains (other than comments):

> ALL : ALL

> My inetd.config file has no reference to it, so /usr/sbin/tcpd is
> not enforcing anything on it. Does rpc.statd do its own equivalent
> of tcpd internally, as a few other programs do?

Depends how it's compiled. It probably goes through libc calls that
do the lookups for you. That's pretty universal nowadays. You can run
strace -p on it while you do an nfs mount .. but statd should signal
(or receive the signal) when a server comes back up, shouldn't it?
Hmm .. that would make it nfs v3, wouldn't it? Hey, I'm OK! I'm on nfs
v3!

Anyway try murdering something and reviving it, while watching statd
with strace -eopen -p. You should see if it looks up /etc/hsost.deny.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:48:19 GMT

Your experiences are an illusion. Life is but a stage and we are all
players. The ONLY moment is NOW. History cannot be changed and the
future is UNCERTAIN. We are all immortal perfect beautiful components
of LIFE FORCE (GOD or NATURE) if you like. It is simply a play on
words.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:46:19 GMT, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.misc Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
>>> the body.
>
>> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
>
>We do not miss the point. We know it because we can subject the question
>to test. There are archives and witnesses and things that have been influenced
>by the event in such a way as to make them distinct from the way they would
>have been if the event had not happened. In this case, "the body" is one
>of those things. While we cannot say for certain that the event did or did
>not happen (nor tell whether a human being is or is not really a computer
>with a biological facade), we can become reasonably sure, to most peoples
>satisfaction, that it did.
>
>For one thing, I remember it - and/or think I do.
>
>Peter

--Rolie Baldock.  email:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subtract one thousand and nine for direct email

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock)
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:58:05 GMT

Engineering is also about not BUGGERING up the PLANET with JUNK for
future generations to dispose of. BUT MUCH more important is not to
increase the ENTROPY of our resources so that future generations find
it impossible to process materials which have been scattered thinly
over the planet.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:40:54 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Juergen Heinzl wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>> >I was trying to install a new version of vixie-cron using rpm, and
>> >it just locked up. Here is its entry in the top listing:
>> >  PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM  CTIME
>> >COMMAND
>> >14897 root       0   0    222  1024 1024   640 D     0.0  0.1   0:00
>> >rpm -Fvh vixie-cron-3.0.1-40.1.i386.rpm
>> >
>> >The D in the STAT column means that an ordinary kill -9 14897 will
>> >not work until the process completes some IO operation that
>> >obviously will never complete. I know I could reboot my entire
>> >system to get over this, but there must be a better way. I cannot
>> >install this RPM (or even run rpm at all) because it cannot create a
>> >shared lock (or something like that). I assume that rpm has set up
>> >an exclusive lock on its database and nothing will break loose that
>> >lock until that process does an exit.
>> >
>> >So how to I get it off without rebooting?
>> [-]
>> You can't .. end of story,

> I figured that, but I hoped I was wrong. I wonder what the trouble
> is. If I reboot, I still want to install that rpm.

You can compile and load a kernel module whose one aim in life is to
remove that entry from the process table. Bit of overkill. You
can also write one to release the lock.

Thank goodness I don't believe in kernel locks ... they really work.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:03:48 GMT

Hello Grant,

What about a "LIFE EXPECTANCY" Tax, paid when the product is
marketed.. The longer the life the more tax the manufacturer gets
rebated when the product becomes JUNK. Just might be realistic in this
JUNK age.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:07:33 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:23:06 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
>>who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
>>paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
>>this situation.
>
>But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
>to taxes.

        OTOH, grandpa probably already paid his taxes on that money
        that you think should be reduced further with no sound
        rationale. Infact, if that money were a straight inheritance
        the government would have taken half of it yet again anyways.

        If grandpa wants his decendants to have an easy life, that's
        his business. Denying him that is as much a discouragment to
        do productive work as is an immediate tax.

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \