From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rolie Baldock)
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:13:34 GMT

Hello Peter,

Speed has never been my problem, and will be most unlikely problem in
the future since it hasn't shown up already. My system is stable and
from the experiences of friends who are always BROKE because they are
always upgrading with little or no demonstrable benefit, I cannot see
a valid reason to consider it. My two servers are 33MHz the
work-stations are 66MHz and I am a RETIRED P.E.E. I take life
leisurely and try not to give myself a stress problem. My original
question was and still is: can I change my two servers to LINUX
without a tremendous hardware upgrade? And if so how is it done?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:35:33 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Rolie Baldock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:54:00 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>The MHz is your problem here. Those are going to be turtles at
>>>processing anything. They may work OK as file servers, but they won't
>>>be fast.
>
>> I do not recall saying I had a problem because I don't. I simply asked
>
>You do have a problem, whether you think so or not. Those machines
>will have trouble reaching even 1MB/s transfer rate. The isa bus
>(8MHz*4) is not limiting, but the cpu MHz is, since they have to
>look after the system as well. Since they have to handle the nfs code
>.. if that's what you are using .. that will be the limiting factor.
>If that's not a concern, that's your affair. But it is the problem.
>
>> if a LINUX based server would run better in the hardware I have in my
>> two servers or would it require a horrendous upgrade like the rumours
>> I have heard.
>
>I am not a prophet. I can only  tell you that you need about 8MB of
>disk, such memory as you can obtain, and you will have a problem
>getting more than 1MB/s out of the system. What "upgrade" are you
>talking about? You're changing the entire o/s. That's not an upgrade
>.. do you mean hardware? No, you don't have to change anything.
>
>Peter

--Rolie Baldock.  email:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subtract one thousand and nine for direct email

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:17:41 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:

> >> Yes, but the experiment can not be repeated. In your previous
> >> blatherings you claimed that the only way something can be known
> >> is the Scientific Method, and it's reliable because the event can
> >> be repeated.
>
> > You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
> > the body.
>
> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?

How do you know that this was posted?

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:18:26 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:

> >> Yes, but the experiment can not be repeated. In your previous
> >> blatherings you claimed that the only way something can be known
> >> is the Scientific Method, and it's reliable because the event can
> >> be repeated.
>
> > You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
> > the body.
>
> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?

You'd never make it as a detective.

The simple concept of forensic science is beyond you.

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW DO I KILL THIS PROCESS?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:12:22 +0100

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> I checked the MD5 checksum of the rpm, hoping I got a bad download.
> I forgot to check before. Unfortunately, the checksum was correct.
> So I rebooted and it went in just fine. It is things like that that
> seem to keep me from ever getting a good uptime.

> I still want to achieve Noah's record of 40 days and nights. Of
> course, if I ever get that, I will want more.

hmmm ... I just rebooted arpa .. it was up for 70 days ...

bajo          up 26+18:51,     1 user,   load 0.17, 0.53, 0.45
karajan       up 49+13:29,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
tambor        up 29+03:26,     0 users,  load 0.53, 0.53, 0.55
itserv2       up 32+20:22,     1 user,   load 1.87, 1.11, 0.64
lmserv2       up 53+04:48,     1 user,   load 0.91, 0.25, 0.08

(edited down from about 50 nearby ..)

Interestingly, almost all those are 2.0.36 kernels. Only karajan is a
2.2.something. It's suse 6.3/7. The others are slackware 3.0.

I did have a 486 with a 1.2.13 kernel that was going a year between
reboots.

Start of longevity competition HERE ...

From: Zen Sorcerer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding a source RPM with modified source
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:30:12 -0000

The quick method:

Just edit the source code in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES so that it does what
you want and then rpm -ba whatever.spec (the spec file should have been
installed in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS dir.) You'll most likely have to
hack the spec file and point it to your sources dir. and maybe make some
other changes (but I assume that you already know that :) Your RPMS will
appear in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS

You should also take a look at the rpm documentation either in tha man
pages: man rpm or at http://www.rpm.org

Zen

From: Mark Penkower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: samba login problems
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:31:35 GMT

I just set up a samba Server.

I am trying to access via a Windows NT Workstation on an NT Network.

I added the machine via server manager.  I joined the domain via the
smbpasswd utility.

I modified smb.conf to set security  = domain and
encryped passwords = yes

I told it that the PDC was the password server

The [homes] section says broseable = no
read only = no

testparm says everythiing is correct.

I added the user to samba and put added the password.

The share is not accessable via Network Neighborhood.

I run explorer and manually map to the linux box - it adds username to
the description field and shows 2 folders - one with my user name, and
one named public.

If I click on my username, a box comes up saying incorrect username or
password - When I supply the combination, nothing happens.

If I click on Public, the message is - the network name could not be
found.

I then tried the following at the linux box:

I typed in //smbclient //machinename/public

It showed that it added the correct interface, broadcast and netmask.
It asked for my password - I gave it.  It then specified the domain os
and server.

Then it said" tree connect failed :ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (invalid
network name in tree connect)."

What do I need to do to see the shares.

Thanks

Mark Penkower

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:36:48 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>>>

> >> I've given an example of a fact that can not be repeated and can't
> >> be proven with the Scientific Method.
>
> > But there are simpler tests. Just ask lots of people if they saw jfk
> > alive after the event. And ask the people who filmed him being
> > shot how shot he was. You can also ask his wife how she managed to get
> > legal permission to remarry! Whilst these are not conclusive tests,
> > they can take the probability of error down to negligable values.
> > I think he's dead, with a very high degree of certainty.
>
> I agree, however, you are using deductive reasoning to gain insight,
> not the Scientific Method.

a distinction without a difference, in this case.

> A Materialist would say that a human being is a bag of chemical
> reactions. And then claim that these reactions find knowlege
> through deductive reasoning.
>
> My question to a Materialist is How do we know that a Historical
> event happen when it's belief could simply be a rush of hormones?
>
> > Peter

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: RPM segfault, I'm stuck
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:39:17 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:21:34 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:

<snip>

>> results in a seg fault.  I can rebuild the database, but it doesn't
>> solve the problem.  This has happened to me now on two different

<snip>

>It's possible your RPM database has been corrupted... I had problems like
>that after attempting to install things from a scratched CD. The install of
>some things failed, and later, rpm started to seg fault.
>
>try rebuilting the database with rpm --rebuilddb
>
>--
>|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
>|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
>|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
>|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't Peter mean his RPM database when he
said "I can rebuild the database, but it doesn't solve the problem."??

-DR

------------------------------

From: "dofomide" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Replicate/Clone RH6.2 Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:41:59 -0000

> 2) I am Habitually a lazy person :).  Is there a way that I can make a
> image of this PC.  store it on a central location on the network,
> create a boot disk and have the workstation clone its self from the
> image.  Or am really just too lazy :)

looks like you'll just have to use ghost - you can even do them all at once!
if you dont want to use multicast )i.e. do them one at a time) then you
might be able to get
away with using the personal edition - which is (much) cheaper

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:40:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Surenko wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Robert Surenko wrote:
>> >>
>> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
>>

> How do you know that this was posted?

Deductive reasoning --- You responded. Note that if I tried to use
the Scientific Method I would fail.

My next thousand posts could all post. That would not prove that "the"
post did.

So... it is possible to know things that are unprovable using the
Scentific Method?

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Surenko wrote:

>> > You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
>> > the body.
>>
>> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
>>

> You'd never make it as a detective.

> The simple concept of forensic science is beyond you.

No, I understand perfectly. I've been disscussing the Scientific Method.

Many people claim that the only way to "know" something is the
Scientific Method. They also claim that any other way of "knowing"
is un-scientific.

So far We've identified 2 ways to "know" something. Iv'e proposed
a 3rd. Thanks for the 4th.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:08 -0500

chrisv wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >this situation.
>
> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
> to taxes.

GOOD!

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:50:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robert Surenko writes:
>> I agree, however, you are using deductive reasoning to gain insight, not
>> the Scientific Method.

> So what?

It's very important when arguing with someone who claims that the
Scientific Method is the only way to "know". Not saying that you
believe this but I answered another.

>> My question to a Materialist is How do we know that a Historical event
>> happen when it's belief could simply be a rush of hormones?

> My question to a spiritualist is "How do we know that a historical event
> happened when it's belief could simply be a miracle?"

Good point

In both cases it's a matter of faith. In either case you could never know.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:59 -0500

chrisv wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >this situation.
>
> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
> to taxes.

And the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes to
pay for a pound of ground beef at the grocery store.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey