From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 20 Feb 2001 23:12:06 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>1. I favor the abolition of inheritance taxes for precisely that reason.
>Inheritance taxes are one of the MOST Marxist taxes around.

On the contrary, creating a society that hands out rewards on the basis
of inheritance and not merit is a great way to create an aristocracy.

Part of the problem is that you seem to be incapable of distinguishing
between merit and hereditary. This has already been established.

>2. How much you want to bet the the Kennedy's have never paid a dime
>in Inheritance taxes.

Then maybe it's time to lower the thresholds and tighten the loopholes!
I bet that it's not the democrats who are fighting this ...

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:12:52 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:

> >> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
> >>

> > How do you know that this was posted?
>
> Deductive reasoning --- You responded. Note that if I tried to use
> the Scientific Method I would fail.

Can you think of any *TEST* to see if it has been posted?

> My next thousand posts could all post. That would not prove that "the"
> post did.
>
> So... it is possible to know things that are unprovable using the
> Scentific Method?

As I said before....you would have a dead-end career if you ever decided
to go into forensic investigation

> >> --
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
>
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
>
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
>
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
>
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Mike Goldsbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acrobat and Netscape6
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:13:54 GMT

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> >
> > E J wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't MIME me :)
> > > Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Helper Application->
> > > Extension: PDF
> > > MIME Type: application/pdf
> > > Application: /usr/local/bin/acroread
> > >
> > > 1/5 of Real Player still does not work.  All Real Player mime
> > > extensions work except for the plug-in itself.
> > > Plugger does not work.
> > > Flash 4 works but Flash 5 does not work under either Netscape 4.76 or
> > > 6.0 under KDE but works on Gnome.

> > You'd think so, wouldn't you.  Wanna hear something sick?
> >
> > When I installed Acrobat as a plugin for NS4.75 it hijacked all my other
> > plugins by registering /usr/local/Acrobat4/Browsers/intellinux/ as
> > Netscape's defined plugin directory.  After screwing around for a LONG
> > time trying to get things to work I threw in the towel and copied all
> > the
> > plugins to that subdirectory.  Acroread is still a piece of shit, of
> > course, but it reads more .pdf files than xpdf.
>
> Sure, but I cannot print many .pdf files with acroread that I can
> print from xpdf. So there must be bugs in acroread that are absent
> in xpdf. acroread can display them just fine on my monitor, though.
> So they must both have bugs, but different ones. Grrrr. (I have
> acroread 4.05 at the moment, but 4.0 had the same problem.)

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Bev
> >          Horn broken.  Watch for finger.

About ready to give up on Acroread and just download everything and read it
with XPDF. Plugin support is a joke with some of these companies. Just hope
they wake up before someone hacks them out of a job. Or do I, would do some
of them boneheads good to get an unpleasant awakening! Oh well at least
this OS is growing unlike OS/2 which IBM pissed away.

Mike Goldsbury

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:53:49 +0100

Rolie Baldock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Speed has never been my problem, and will be most unlikely problem in

Speed IS your problem. That you are not concerned about it is another
matter.

> the future since it hasn't shown up already. My system is stable and
> from the experiences of friends who are always BROKE because they are
> always upgrading with little or no demonstrable benefit, I cannot see
> a valid reason to consider it. My two servers are 33MHz the

Well, a 33MHz 486 will not be able to support loads from several nfs
clients at once. Try receiving a mail storm on an nfs mounted mail
spool! My P450 is sometimes bogged down by 250 copies of procmail
battling for a single lock on an nfs directory .. it can take hours
to clear the backlogs of thousands of mail messages and error messages
and rebound messages, etc ..

Actually, a slow machine is actually useful as primary MX (my primary
is a P100). It's self-throttling!

> work-stations are 66MHz and I am a RETIRED P.E.E. I take life
> leisurely and try not to give myself a stress problem. My original
> question was and still is: can I change my two servers to LINUX
> without a tremendous hardware upgrade? And if so how is it done?

Just change them. No hardware is necessary. But you are severely
limited by the 33MHz 486 cpu. It will be like wading through mud (I
speak as one who owns a 16MHz 386sx and a 50MHz 486sx). It will
work as an nfs file server, but you have to be careful to strip it down
to just that. My 486 can handle X, but I wouldn't dream of trying more
than a single shell plus an inetd and a portmapper on the 386! RIP.
Do a basic install of debian or slackware, and then start hacking lumps
off.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Reiner Griess)
Subject: Re: PATH for root
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:09:38 +0100

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:26:01 GMT,
 Brian Dellert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>wrote:
>> When I'm logged in as a normal user and going into super user mode (su)
>> the PATH for root isn't set. For every command it is necessary to type
>> in the  full path (/sbin/route par example).
>>
>> How can I correct this?
>
>Use the - parameter when you run su, eg
>
>       su -

Ahhh YESSS! That's better!

Thank you
R.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 20 Feb 2001 23:24:53 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:59 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
>> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
>> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
>> >this situation.
>>
>> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
>> to taxes.
>
>And the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes to
>pay for a pound of ground beef at the grocery store.

Which exposes the absurdity of suggestions that the aristocracy "need"
tax relief.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:29:34 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> >1. I favor the abolition of inheritance taxes for precisely that reason.
> >Inheritance taxes are one of the MOST Marxist taxes around.
>
> On the contrary, creating a society that hands out rewards on the basis
> of inheritance and not merit is a great way to create an aristocracy.
>
> Part of the problem is that you seem to be incapable of distinguishing
> between merit and hereditary. This has already been established.
>
> >2. How much you want to bet the the Kennedy's have never paid a dime
> >in Inheritance taxes.
>
> Then maybe it's time to lower the thresholds and tighten the loopholes!
> I bet that it's not the democrats who are fighting this ...

Really?  Then why do the majority of the "super rich" in America donate
only to the Demoncrook party?

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Subject: Re: insmod
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:15:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Mike Wilson" writes:

>         I am having problems installing a module, I use
> /sbin/insmod mobitex.o

1) Have you compiled any modules that it may be dependent on?

2) Did you "depmod -a" after compiling the module?

If yes to both of the above, try using "modprobe" instead of insmod.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 20 Feb 2001 23:33:18 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:15 GMT, Robert Surenko wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>No, I understand perfectly. I've been disscussing the Scientific Method.
>
>Many people claim that the only way to "know" something is the
>Scientific Method. They also claim that any other way of "knowing"
>is un-scientific.
>
>So far We've identified 2 ways to "know" something. Iv'e proposed
>a 3rd. Thanks for the 4th.

I'd take an extreme view here and suggest the only way we can "know"
anything is by deductive reasoning, and typically we need to make
assumptions (hypotheses) as a premise for our reasoning. In the
end we can only "know" things like (x) implies (y).

Scientific deduction is not a means by which we can "know", because
it requires faith in the basic assumption that the universe will behave
in a consistent manner (for example, the sun will rise tomorrow).
Since everyone has such faith, it is typically considered acceptable.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:36:37 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:59 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >chrisv wrote:

> >> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
> >> to taxes.
> >
> >And the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes to
> >pay for a pound of ground beef at the grocery store.
>
> Which exposes the absurdity of suggestions that the aristocracy "need"
> tax relief.

"NEED" has nothing to do with it.

Do you ***NEED*** your connection to USENET?
do you ***NEED*** your TV?

If you're going to base government confiscation policies based on
"need", then you end up with an impoverished population like Russia.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mcclain)
Subject: Re: permissions
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:04:25 GMT

Howdy Spike,
 Would you care to qualify that statement?
rh6:~> ls -l /mc
total 147930
drwx------   7 root     root         2048 Feb 15 19:19 bin
drwx------   9 root     root         2048 Feb  6 14:21 dld_pkgs
drwx------  43 root     root         3072 Feb 11 10:01 docs
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        12288 Mar 11  2000 lost+found
drwx------   5 root     root         1024 Sep 16 12:20 mail
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try setting the x bit and
see what happens.
MiKe

-=> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote to ALL <=-

 SP> Mike Mcclain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
 > find: /mc: Permission denied

 > Permissions of the pertinent files given by 'ls -l' are:
 > drw-------   7 root     root    /mc

 SP> Directories cannot be read without the execute bit set.
 SP> chmod 700 /mc

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.31