Linux-Misc Digest #185, Volume #27               Wed, 21 Feb 01 10:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: /bin/sh (Christopher Albert)
  Re: How to make Linux slim? (Carl Fink)
  Re: HOW DO I KILL THIS PROCESS? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Q: local host name cannot be resolved ?!? (Terence Hoosen)
  Re: wanted: back up software ("Monte Milanuk")
  Re: downloaing suse 7.1  - where ? ("Monte Milanuk")
  Re: enlightenment iconbox ("thunder")
  Re: enlightenment iconbox ("thunder")
  Re: fastest SCSI CDROM drive (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: HOW DO I KILL THIS PROCESS? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: fdisk /mbr, install issues ("Jeremy Paiz")
  [cwa] email notifier (Christopher W. Aiken)
  Re: /bin/sh (Dave Pearson)
  Re: enlightenment iconbox (Jean-David Beyer)
  P.S.: Re: writing to tape (DLT 8000) (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: IP Masqing (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
  Re: /bin/sh (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
  Re: fdisk /mbr, install issues ("Eric")
  Re: [cwa] email notifier (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
  possible to change rc.d sequence? ("Jan Vandesompele")

From: Christopher Albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /bin/sh
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:18:27 +0100

You guys have got me all wrong.
I love bash. I am a bashophile.
I just want to know if
Linux + /bin/sh = /bin/bash

I've written some init scripts to run
an application as a service on linux, which I posted
to a developpers list. Some have questioned the fact
that i used bash syntax for the script which has the
shebang #!/bin/sh, which to old unix hands means plain
vanilla Bourne, and there's stuff you do with Bash that
doesn't work on ol' Bourne.
I want to claim that on Linux /bin/sh is Bash by default.
Am I wrong?

Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: How to make Linux slim?
Date: 21 Feb 2001 12:18:47 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:13:05 +0100 bv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>for my company I installed a linux "server" (an old Pentium I with 16 megs
>RAM) with the following services:
>
>Samba, Squid, isdn4linux, dhcpd, ssh
>
>When all these services are running, the system is unbelievably slow, the
>startup takes over 3 minutes. How can I reduce the memory load?

Run fewer programs?  Changing kernels probably won't affect memory
usage.  Most of those probably aren't running *simultaneously* unless
your server is very heavily used, in which case you need a better
server.  How is swapping set up?
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW DO I KILL THIS PROCESS?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:56:22 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tyler Larson wrote:
>> I heard that sometimes (particularly when a process hangs waiting on
>> a network request), sending an INT (2) or QUIT (3) signal will often
>> work even when the KILL signal fails.
>>
> I very much doubt that a kill -2 or kill -3 would work when a kill
> -9 fails. What is happening is that (this may be an

Quite true. It can't. The process won't be scheduled, and it doesn't
have control now, and it won't be woken up by an interrupt either.
No way.

> oversimplification) no interrupts will be delivered to the process
> until the IO operation completes (as determined by examining the
> STATUS flag of the process and observing that it is "D" as shown by
> "top"). And the IO is not going to complete (I assume because an
> interrupt from the device or controller was lost somehow).

You might improve the situation by killing the parent of the process
and thus getting it inherited by init. Init has magic powers.

From: Terence Hoosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: local host name cannot be resolved ?!?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:59:06 +0000

bv wrote:

> Ping is no problem. Surfing, e-mail, news (as you see :) ) works fine too.
> Only the services on my local system, and smbclient, don't work at all.
> GNOME and the X-Server give me a error message at startup, but work
> nevertheless.

Sorry, I'm sure this is what you mean, but if you type in "ping tornado"
from tornado, it successfully resolves that to 127.0.0.1?
You also didn't mention whether you restarted Gnome and X (though I
suspect you gave it a shot).

> After the first boot of the newly installed Mandrake power failed after a
> short time. Could it be that some important script execution was
> interrupted?

I don't really have any idea.  After a short time?  As you probably
know, most important intialisation scripts are run right at the start.
It might be related though.  I guess you could give the whole thing a
reboot - even I do that when I'm really frustrated by a problem!  But
don't expect your problem will vanish in Windows-esque style just
because you've restarted your machine!

Oh hold on, you said in an earlier post that you restarted xinetd.  Is
there a init script called network (Mandrake is Redhat based, right?)?
If there is, you need to do a ./network restart (or equivalently I think
reload) to apply changes with your network settings.

Go on, see if that works!

-Tez

------------------------------

From: "Monte Milanuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wanted: back up software
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:30:05 -0700

In addition to the command line utilities mentioned below, there are also
commercial offerings from Arkeia, and BRU.  Both are pretty well respected
entities AFAIK, but perhaps overkill for a small LAN.  But if you are used
to a gui tool on a Mac, perhaps they would be worth it to you.

Monte

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Monte Milanuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: downloaing suse 7.1  - where ?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:34:22 -0700

Give it a couple weeks.  SuSE is kinda protective about letting their boxed
version sell a bit before letting you download the free version.  May be as
much as three or four weeks after the boxed set finally hits the racks here
in the US (w/i the next week, from what I hear)

Monte

From: "thunder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: enlightenment iconbox
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:18:37 +0500

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dan
Martins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There may be a more proper group to post this in, but i couldn't find
> one, so..
>
> I started using enlightenment as my window manager yesterday. I was
> messing around and closed my iconbox, now i'm wondering how to start it
> up again. I looked through all the options and couldn't find anything..
>
> Any tips?

Click your middle mouse button, select Desktop > Create new Iconbox.
By the way, there should  also be a help browser reachable from your
middle button.

------------------------------

From: "thunder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:31:30 +0500

> Not from me. I have been running GNOME/Enlightenment since 1999 and do
> not know what an iconbox is. Could you enlighten me?

When you minimize an application it goes to the Iconbox.  Another click
on the Icon and the application is restored.  I guess it's something like
a taskbar.  This screenshot shows the Enlightenment default desktop with
the Iconbox in the lower right, the virtual desktops in the lower left.

http://www.enlightenment.org/shots/g1.jpg

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fastest SCSI CDROM drive
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:44:42 -0500

Robert Heller wrote:

>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela),
>   In a message on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:18:44 -0500, wrote :
>
> B> On 20 Feb 2001 01:09:27 -0600, Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> B> >2) CDROM drives are not like hard disks and don't use the 'Wide/Fast'
> B> >interface (either ATA/Dma66 or SCSI-3).  Thus the continuous data
> B> >throughput is limited.  Yes, while a 72x IDE CDROM can *burst* a
> B> >*small* file at 72x (after several *seconds* spent spinning up),  it
> B> >cannot sustain this for long, so the larger the file the *slower* the
> B> >*average* transfer rate, down to about 4x for IDE.  SCSI CDROM drives
> B> >will bottom out at about 8x (the SCSI bus is better than PIO IDE).
> B> >Faster drives can possibly be worse -- spin up (several seconds), start
> B> >bursting, flood bus, spin *down* (several seconds), wait for bus to
> B> >clear, spin up again (several *more* seconds), start bursting again,
> B> >flood bus again, spin down *again*, wait for bus to clear, etc.
> B>      While I am not exactly bragging. My Hitachi CDR-3750 seems
> B> faster than the newer IDE drives out there. its a Caddy based SCSI
> B> Single Speed unit. This drive is also better built than the free
> B> Tatung 24x IDE drive I got! In playing Audio disks. this
> B> drive rarely skips. Yet my cheap Tatung is worse than a record player
> B> with a bad stylus! Any tiny blemishes or scratchs on the cds (that
> B> happens in data too) will send the drive on a skipping fit! whereas my
> B> single speeder ignores them! The caddies themselves are a godsend! No
> B> need to take the disks out of the cases! Just slide the caddy in! This
> B> provides dust protection as well as fast loading. I want a few more of
> B> these hitachi CDR-3750s anyone know where I can get more units? 7
> B> years ago I paid $99 for it. I really like the drive enough to buy a
> B> few more!
> B>      I have never heard it speed up/slowdown. I believe mine is
> B> always spinning. (I never checked). This drive keeps steady pace with
> B> the Scsi-2 buss here. Where as the "CRAPSTER" always is doing the
> B> "speed Juggle". When it starts it sounds like a turbine. My Hitachi is
> B> wisper quiet.
>
> It will be spinning up/down, just that since it is single speed, there
> is not as much acceleration time.  Also, like you said -- a single
> speed drive won't have the bus-flooding problem a 'faster' drive will
> have.  Also, since it is slower, it probably has a longer spin-up
> timeout (how long before automatic spin down when inactive) -- because
> the slower speed motor uses less power, does not heat up as much and
> the bearings are under less stress.

I do not know about the part of bearing stress. The spin up phase
normally puts far more stress on the bearings than continuous
running. It the only thing that mattered was bearing life, I would
prefer that my CD-ROM drive just left the disk spinning as long as
the disk were in the drive, or preferable, as long as the OS had the
drive mounted somewhere on the file system. But i use my CD-ROM
drive so seldom that it scarcely matters.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:05:41 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Tyler Larson wrote:
> >> I heard that sometimes (particularly when a process hangs waiting on
> >> a network request), sending an INT (2) or QUIT (3) signal will often
> >> work even when the KILL signal fails.
> >>
> > I very much doubt that a kill -2 or kill -3 would work when a kill
> > -9 fails. What is happening is that (this may be an
>
> Quite true. It can't. The process won't be scheduled, and it doesn't
> have control now, and it won't be woken up by an interrupt either.
> No way.
>
> > oversimplification) no interrupts will be delivered to the process
> > until the IO operation completes (as determined by examining the
> > STATUS flag of the process and observing that it is "D" as shown by
> > "top"). And the IO is not going to complete (I assume because an
> > interrupt from the device or controller was lost somehow).
>
> You might improve the situation by killing the parent of the process
> and thus getting it inherited by init. Init has magic powers.

I tried that. I killed the the bash, and the su (I needed to run rpm
as root) so that init was then the immediate parent. init did not
seem to be able to get rid of it either. I guess the thing to do
would be to put a gizmo on the SCSI data bus that pretended to be
the right disk drive (I know which one it would have been, since the
.rpm file, the rpm database, and the root file system where the
vixie.cron stuff would go are all on the same drive) and generated
another hardware interrupt would probably work.

When I designed a hardware system (the one for which I wrote the OS)
in the distant past it would have been a simple matter. It was
possible to send output pulses to any of 16 "devices". These devices
were wired to a plugboard so the pulses could be sent wherever the
plugboard wires were connected. 5 of them were attached to the
interrupt request lines on the machine so that hardware device
interrupts could be simulated exactly. All the device drivers were
written so that spurious interrupts could cause no harm. (Details
omitted.) So all I would need to do is write a program that issued
such a pulse and it would wake up the device driver and this would
all let go. But my present hardware is not set up that way. Too much
trouble, and it should not be unnecessary. Since I do not hear of
this happening to others, I doubt it is a bug in the Linux kernel.
Likewise, I cannot imagine it to be a bug in the rpm program itself
(while it might have bugs of its own, I do not see how it could get
itself stuck in STATUS = D unless perhaps it tried to use a
non-existant device, and I do not see how it would get such a device
open in the first place).

The only other time this seems to happen is when I use my DDS-2 tape
drive. It is on a SCSI controller as well, but a different one.
I.e., my 2 hard drives are on an Ultra-2 SCSI controller and the
tape drive is on a narrow SCSI controller. So if there is a bug in
one of the controllers, it should not affect the other one, or so I
would assume.

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS 10K 9WLS   Rev: UCH0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS 10K 9WLS   Rev: UCH0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C1533A           Rev: A708
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

Here is the SCSI stuff from yesterdays reboot:

Feb 20 16:25:54 valinux kernel: sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 18,
function 0
Feb 20 16:25:54 valinux kernel: sym53c8xx: setting
PCI_COMMAND_PARITY...(fix-up)
Feb 20 16:25:54 valinux kernel: sym53c8xx: 53c810a detected
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 16,
function 0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c8xx: setting
PCI_COMMAND_PARITY...(fix-up)
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c8xx: 53c895 detected with
Symbios NVRAM
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: rev=0x02,
base=0xfebfff00, io_port=0xe800, irq=16
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: Symbios format NVRAM,
ID 7, Fast-40, Parity Checking
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: on-chip RAM at
0xfebfe000
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: restart (scsi reset).
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: Downloading SCSI
SCRIPTS.
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c810a-1: rev=0x12,
base=0xfebffe00, io_port=0xe400, irq=18
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c810a-1: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity
Checking
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 18,
function 0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: ncr53c8xx: IO region 0xe400 to
0xe47f is in use
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 16,
function 0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: ncr53c8xx: IO region 0xe800 to
0xe87f is in use
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: 3w-xxxx: tw_findcards(): No cards
found.
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: scsi0 : sym53c8xx - version 1.61
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: scsi1 : sym53c8xx - version 1.61
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel:   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: ATLAS 10K
9WLS    Rev: UCH0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel:   Type:
Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: Integrity Check
Complete:
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: SYNC WIDE SCSI 80.0
MB/s (25 ns, 31 offset)
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel:   Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: ATLAS 10K
9WLS    Rev: UCH0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel:   Type:
Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0,
channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: Integrity Check
Complete:
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c895-0: SYNC WIDE SCSI 80.0
MB/s (25 ns, 31 offset)
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel:   Vendor: HP        Model:
C1533A            Rev: A708
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel:   Type:
Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi1,
channel 0, id 3, lun 0
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c810a-1: Integrity Check
Complete:
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: sym53c810a-1: SYNC NARROW SCSI 10.0
MB/s (100 ns, 8 offset)
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI tape 2 SCSI
disks total.
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512
bytes. Sectors= 17938986 [8759 MB] [8.8 GB]
Feb 20 16:25:55 valinux kernel: SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512
bytes. Sectors= 17938986 [8759 MB] [8.8 GB]

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 8:45am up 16:19, 3 users, load average: 2.09, 2.08, 2.02

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy Paiz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: fdisk /mbr, install issues
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:07:29 -0500

"Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96vtj7$j7t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The best thing to do: shrink C: and make a /boot at the start of the HDD.

i guess this is what i don't know how to do.  how do i do this?  moreover,
how do i do this without losing anything on the current windows partition.
i apologize, but these concepts are very new to me.  so, if you can, be as
descriptive as possible.  thanks.

  JEREMY M PAIZ
   Software Engineer
   Research & Development Division

   Welding Technology Corporation
   24775 Crestview Court
   Farmington Hills MI  48335-1507

    Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Web:  http://www.weldtechcorp.com
    Phone: (248) 477-3900 x3362
      Fax: (248) 477-8897
   Mobile: (248) 568-1592

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher W. Aiken)
Subject: [cwa] email notifier
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:11:42 -0000

I use XFCE as my desktop work environment at my
office.  I also use fetchmail in the background
as a daemon to get my email from the company server
and copy it to my PC.  Is there some sort of a
desktop application or icon that could notify me
when fetchmail delivers email to my PC?

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Pearson)
Date: 21 Feb 2001 14:12:17 GMT

* Christopher Albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I want to claim that on Linux /bin/sh is Bash by default.
> Am I wrong?

If you really do need your script to be a bash script then why not simply
start the file with #!/bin/bash and be done with it?

If it's a bash script why wouldn't you want to say so?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:21:28 -0500

thunder wrote:

> > Not from me. I have been running GNOME/Enlightenment since 1999 and do
> > not know what an iconbox is. Could you enlighten me?
> >

> When you minimize an application it goes to the Iconbox.  Another click
> on the Icon and the application is restored.  I guess it's something like
> a taskbar.  This screenshot shows the Enlightenment default desktop with
> the Iconbox in the lower right, the virtual desktops in the lower left.
>
> http://www.enlightenment.org/shots/g1.jpg

I found it, but I hated it, and even had trouble getting rid of it.

When I created it, my taskbar said I had one, but I could not see it
(it was beneath another window on a different "panel" of my display.
Furthermore, when I clicked on the icon that gets me another xterm,
the xterm was in an awkward part of the screen and had no borders,
so I could not move it or kill it. I put the mouse in the middle of
the window and typed Control-D, but it did not appear to notice it.
I clicked on the Iconbox icon on the task bar and selected first
close, and then nuke and neither did anything. None of the options
included "Revmove from taskbar", so I logged out of my session and
came back in (restarting X Window System, and GNOME/Enlightenment).
I astutely did not check the "Save current setup" box. Then it was
gone and all is well. I do not think I want that feature on my
system. The panel (taskbar) seems to do enough for my needs.

Once or twice, in the bad old days, I deleted the panel (taskbar).
That was a royal pain because whenever I clicked whatever it was to
create a new one, it advised me that the new one would be only
temporary, and that was true. I was lucky to figure out how to fix
it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:15am up 16:49, 3 users, load average: 2.12, 2.14, 2.07

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: P.S.: Re: writing to tape (DLT 8000)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:30:26 -0500

Jean-David Beyer wrote (in part):

> Christoph Kukulies wrote (in part):
> >
> > First off, I can see only /dev/st0. Where is the nrst0?
>
> There should be. Unless your tape drive cannot operate in
> non-rewinding mode for some reason. I cannot imagine such a reason,
> but one never knows.

Actually, the non-rewinding device would be /dev/nst0.

I have both on my machine:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /dev/*st0
crw-rw----    1 root     db2iadm1   9, 128 May  5  1998 /dev/nst0
crw-rw----    1 root     db2iadm1   9,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/st0
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

They came with the distribution I got from V.A.Linux Systems; I did
not need to make those nodes.

/dev/rst0 and /dev/nrst0 would be for those doing raw-io to the
devices. I do not know if Linux supports raw devices for tape or
not, nor whether there would be any benefit to using them for backup
purposes anyway.

As an aside, it is my understanding that Linux kernels from 2.4.*
series do support raw IO to disk drives in order to make
implementation of database management systems run more efficiently,
to ensure that journalling (related to commit and rollback of
transactions), and backup and recovery of systems that cannot be
stopped for doing backups, can run in a logically correct way.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:20am up 16:54, 3 users, load average: 2.20, 2.16, 2.09

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: IP Masqing
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:14:05 -0600

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:42:04 GMT, aph3x <> wrote:
>hello all. i have set up a SuSE box to masq a win2k on a ppp dial-up
>connection. i have run into some really frsutrating problems though... here's
>some thing that might help explain my problem:
>
>i can ping eth0 and ppp0 from the SuSE and the win2k box
>i can ping external ip's and resolve names from the SuSE and the win2k box
>i can use http, telnet, ftp, and other protocols from the SuSE box

Well, it sounds like you are masquerading ICMP OK.

>i cannot establish an http connection on win2k with IE. when i type in a url,
>it says "web site found, waiting for reply..." and hangs until it times out.
>
>nor can i establish a connection to an ftp server with an ftp client. i can
>connect and log into my account on a remote server, but when i 'ls', i get a
>'200 PORT command successful" and then after a few minutes a  timeout error '425
>cannot build data connection"
>
>however, i can telnet to port 80 on a webserver and issue http methods such as
>HEAD, GET, etc. i can also telnet on port 21 to an ftp server and log in using
>USER and PASS, and i can also CDUP and PWD, but those are the ONLY two commands
>i can issue without getting a 425 error...

It sounds like your outbound masquerading is working for TCP, but inbound is
not set up correctly for all ports. FTP use port 21 for the control connection
where you issue commands, but uses port 20 for the data connection where the

>as you can probably imagine, im getting rather frustrated ;( any help or ideas
>are not only welcomed, but greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.
>
>aph3x

We probably need some more information if this doesn't help you. What kernel
version are you using? Are you using ipfwadm, ipchains, or iptables to set up
your masquerading? Can you attach a copy of the script you use to set up the
masquerading or if done manually, attach the output the ipchains or iptables
display of your tables. I can't remember the ipchains command to list the
current rules, but for iptables you can use iptables -L > /tmp/diags and then
append your ifconfig to it with ifconfig >> /tmp/diags so we can see how it is
set up.

Wyatt.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:20:13 -0600

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:18:27 +0100, Christopher Albert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You guys have got me all wrong.
>I love bash. I am a bashophile.
>I just want to know if
>Linux + /bin/sh = /bin/bash
>
>I've written some init scripts to run
>an application as a service on linux, which I posted
>to a developpers list. Some have questioned the fact
>that i used bash syntax for the script which has the
>shebang #!/bin/sh, which to old unix hands means plain
>vanilla Bourne, and there's stuff you do with Bash that
>doesn't work on ol' Bourne.
>I want to claim that on Linux /bin/sh is Bash by default.
>Am I wrong?
>
>Cheers

>From the bash manpage:

      "If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the
       startup behavior of historical versions of sh  as  closely
       as  possible,  while  conforming  to the POSIX standard as
       well."

Wyatt.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:40:24 +0100

> > The best thing to do: shrink C: and make a /boot at the start of the
HDD.

> i guess this is what i don't know how to do.  how do i do this?  moreover,
> how do i do this without losing anything on the current windows partition.
> i apologize, but these concepts are very new to me.  so, if you can, be as
> descriptive as possible.  thanks.

Either get a program like PartitionMagic (Easy to use, but not for free) or
use
a program like GNU's parted (Which contains sufficient documentation)

Both can repartition your HDD non-destructively.
But you should still back-up any important data before you start, just to
be on the safe side.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
Subject: Re: [cwa] email notifier
Date: 21 Feb 2001 14:43:10 GMT

Christopher W. Aiken proclaimed on comp.os.linux.misc that:

> and copy it to my PC.  Is there some sort of a
> desktop application or icon that could notify me
> when fetchmail delivers email to my PC?

biff
xbiff

        -s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis
mallet @ cluestick.org + Lumber Cartel of India, tinlcI

From: "Jan Vandesompele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: possible to change rc.d sequence?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:37:51 +0100

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the sequence of the rc.d
scripts at bootup? So the sequence of the scripts like this: Sxxxxxx

cheers,
Jan Vandesompele