From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Verify crontab, please
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:08:20 -0600

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Joe Knapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Warning: I think you may have been hacked. I came across your
> > message because I noticed the exact same problem on my
> > RedHat 6.2 machine and typed in the string "*/5 * * * * /usr/sbin/init"
>
> Yes, that's a full-fledged remote crack. Ask (politely) the sysadmin at the
> universities that you got by reverse dns of those IPs to look into it,
> after checking the bugtraq record.
>
> I'll leave the rest of your message intact, though I'd normally edit!
> It's important that people get to see the whole attack signature.
>
> Peter

The following was sent to me via email last night after I has quit for the
evening:

> You were hacked. That is a fake init which is listening on a bunch
> of udp ports from 1026-1029. I'm still trying to figure out what
> it lets the hacker do.

Then, the same person (who will remain nameless unless he chooses to weigh in
here) sent the following about 1-1/2 hours later:

> Found the docs on the hack:
>
> http://packetstorm.securify.com/distributed/trinoo.analysis.txt

I have scanned that document but have yet to attempt to digest it.

What I find interesting here is that the hackers made discovery much simpler by
replacing the crontab instead of inserting their phoney line ahead of existing
entry(s).

Thanks to all!
Robert

--
"If value corrupts then absolute value corrupts absolutely."

  4:45pm  up 4 days,  9:07,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.10, 0.08

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:29:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rolie Baldock wrote:

>Do you talk "Ancient Swahili" like Peter?

You betcha.  [I also talk Minnesotan.]

>Well I haven't a clue what
>he's talking about with the "nfs" and "mail storm". Since my LAN works
>OK as is perhaps I should forget LINUX. That is the feeling I get from
>these messages.

You never said what you wanted your server to do.  In the Linux world,
servers generally provide mail services and file services.  What did
you have in mind?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm totally
                                  at               DESPONDENT over the LIBYAN

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:32:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rolie Baldock wrote:

>OK...OK... I have a few spare 127 Mb IDE drives and there are a few
>more down at the shop and I can find a couple of 16Mb simms to insert
>in the servers. But is is so difficult to get LINUX to work as a file
>server ONLY with this hardware set up? Moreover is it worth the
>trouble? I have dedicated DX2-66s (plenty of them) for dedicated jobs
>so I ONLY need the servers to do that, NOTHING ELSE.

You want to use a machine with a 50M hard drive as a file server?

It could be done, but you'd probably not have more than 5M of space for the
files you're "serving".  A box of floppies would work almost as well. ;)

To what types of systems are you going to serve files?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  BARRY... That was
                                  at               the most HEART-WARMING

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:33:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rolie Baldock wrote:
>Sorry Peter,
>
>Like I said before I simply do not understand your message.
>
>What you mean by 2507   /bin
>and 3460    /boot
>
>means absolutely nothing to me.

>>2507  /bin
>>3460  /boot
>>26    /dev
>>8002  /etc
>>1     /floppy
>>201   /home
>>19663 /lib
>>2452  /sbin

Those are the sizes of all of the directories on his system (in KB).

You might want to read a book on Linux before you decide whether or not you
want to give it a try.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Don't hit me!! I'm in
                                  at               the Twilight Zone!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Date: 21 Feb 2001 18:39:01 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rolie Baldock wrote:
>Hello Grant,
>
>Do you talk "Ancient Swahili" like Peter? Well I haven't a clue what
>he's talking about with the "nfs" and "mail storm". Since my LAN works
>OK as is perhaps I should forget LINUX. That is the feeling I get from
>these messages.

nfs is "network file system", i.e. programs can access files on the server
as if they were on the local disk.

what exactly is your server doing?  which system is it currently running
under?  without telling us what exactly you want your servers to do nobody
can be very specific.  the responses that seem to confuse you assume that
your server boxes run a bunch of services that are quite commonly used.
apparently your requirements are much more modest

hs

------------------------------

From: "Bill Keck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Using  KVM switch with SuSE 6.4
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:58:34 GMT

I think that is my problem - I have a mechanical switch.  Thanks to all for
your help.

Bill

news:96c4kf$pk4$03$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:58:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:23:06 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
>>who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
>>paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
>>this situation.
>
>But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
>to taxes.

Not if the essentials are exempted from the tax; these would include
basic foodstuffs: beans, rice, fruits and vegetables, bread,
maybe certain meats (the devil's in the details here; presumably we
might include ground beef but not filet mignon; there's also the
issue that eating meat is far less efficient than being strictly vegan,
but the counterbalance to that is that being vegan is not as healthy
because it's far more difficult to get the essential amino acids and
trace minerals from a strict vegan diet -- is the government going to
tax those choices it doesn't like here?), milk, cheese, butter,
salt, spices, and fruit juices.

Granted, this is a rather extreme proposal -- even California doesn't
go to quite this level of detail, AFAIK.  There's also the little
issue as to who determines what is essential.

On a related note, things could get interesting in a complex economy
such as the US.  Consider: cold-rolled steel, which has a certain
price, gets fabricated into computer casings [*].  These casings get
shipped to a computer assembler, which creates computers therefrom,
and then sells them to a distributor, who marks up his prices and
sells them to the end user.

Now: who pays what taxes. and when, amongst the following?
Note that there's usually inventory amongst all but the final
purchaser, which means that he's producing (or procuring), holding,
and then selling; a tax might be incurred on both ends, or even
all three activities (warehouse/storage rent).

[1] The mine(s) or well(s).
[2] The transporter of the coal, ore, oil, or gas from the mine to
    the refinery and/or the electric power plant.
[3] The steel ingot manufacturer.
[4] The cold-rolled steel manufacturer.
[5] The steel distributor/middleman (if there is one).
[6] The casing manufacturer.
[7] The casing seller/middleman.
[8] The computer manufacturer.
[9] The computer distributor.
[10] The computer seller.
[11] The electric power supplier to all of the preceding.
[12] The individual purchaser.

I might have left a step or two out, or put an extra one in by mistake --
I'm not *that* knowledgeable about heavy refinery business models. :-)
There are also issues regarding overseas suppliers of any of the above;
for example, Korea (IIRC) supplies an awful lot of computer cases.

I also have an issue regarding the distinction of income from
gross and net receipts.  One might wave this away, however, by using
identical criteria to those employed now in the filing of that old
standby, IRS Form 1040 (for those in the US, anyway), specifically,
those lines relating to the calculation of gross income.  1040 makes
no distinction between income and profits, IIRC -- but I'd have to look.
(This is assuming a flat *income* tax, as opposed to a sales tax
or value-added tax.)

[*] It's possible some casings actually do use cold-rolled steel, others
    might use a completely different metal, or even plastic.  I'm using
    cold-rolled steel as an example here; I don't know the details as
    to how casings are actually manufactured.  Note that faceplates
    are in fact plastic in many cases -- and they're also detachable.
    Therefore, there are steps in this process I am omitting.  Note
    also that chips and LEDs are manufacturered from silicon, and from
    more unusual elements such as arsenic and gallium.  There's even
    gold involved -- the surface of many connectors have it as a
    method of reducing corrosion -- therefore, the precious metals market
    might become an issue.

                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LOCAL: Linux User Group on local TV
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:00:25 GMT

LUGOD, the Linux Users' Group of Davis, and the Linux operating system
are the topics of an upcoming episode of "Get the Word Out," a
public access television show seen on Davis Cable channel 5.

Henry House, Eric Engelhard and Bill Kendrick of LUGOD talk (nervously)
about Linux and what it can do, and the club and what we do in the
community.

The airdates for the episode are scheduled to be:

  Thursday, March 1st   7:00pm
  Tuesday,  March 6th   7:30pm

The show is 30 minutes long and includes a ~15 minute demonstration
of Linux in action, including:

  - text login
  - editing source code
  - KDE2 graphical environment
  - Konqueror web browser
  - The Gimp photo editor
  - gPhoto digital camera software
  - StarOffice producitivty suite
  - photos of some cool Linux-based hardware (webcams, watches, PDAs)

DCTV's schedule is available here:

  http://www.dctv.davis.ca.us/schedule.html

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/

------------------------------

From: Linus Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: More Dial Up Woes In Suse Linux 6.0
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:10:29 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "David Ayliffe"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My modem still doesn't work.  It dials and verifies but I can get NO web
> pages and any ping (even to an IP address) doesn't work; it comes back
> network unreachable. I have set up the DNS server details in YaST.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Please reply to group or directly to email
>
> Thanks
>
> David Ayliffe

You have my deepest symapathies. But I've got a similar problem, so I'm
unable to help. I just wanted to tell you, by way of some comfort, that
you're not the only one.

Linus
--
SuSE Linux 6.3; NEC 486dx 64 Mb ram

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:19:00 -0000

On 21 Feb 2001 07:00:58 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:58:52 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
>>Wrong...Because the Demoncrook party has ALWAYS been in the business of
>>protecting the financial interests of the socio-economic elite in this
>>country.
>
>That's why Bush's plan primarily benefits the richest 1%, right ? And it's
>also why the democrats are opposing it -- because giving huge tax breaks

        ...because the republicans are advocating it.

        No other motivation is required really.

>to all the millionaires is not in the interests of the socio-economic
>elite ?

        The Democrats have enough millionaires of their own actually.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Chris Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What's the best way???--installing 2.0 and IDLE on RH 7
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:47:16 GMT

==============070608060100030308000909
 filename="What's the best way???--installing 2.0 and IDLE on RH 7"

From: Chris Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:43:25 GMT

Well, my first attempt has landed me one buggered up system...

I need to rebuild my linux box anyways so this serves as good reason.

What I want to do is have BeOpen python 2.0 work with IDLE..

My last attempt always had IDLE running with 1.5.2

Before I go installing I need to know...

Should I install the 8.3 versions of tcl and tk that come with RedHat
as well as the 1.5.2 version of TKinter? (The one listed with the Python
2.0 is also newer)

when I did this last time and then installed BeOpen 2.0 the RPM
complained about needing the libraries from 8.0 tcl and tk.....

What is the best way to proceed? RPM's makefiles please help!!!

Many thanks,
Chris

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:47:46 -0000

On 20 Feb 2001 23:12:06 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
>>1. I favor the abolition of inheritance taxes for precisely that reason.
>>Inheritance taxes are one of the MOST Marxist taxes around.
>
>On the contrary, creating a society that hands out rewards on the basis
>of inheritance and not merit is a great way to create an aristocracy.

        That still doesn't eliminate the fact that you are still
        fucking with people's motivations to be productive.
        Stealing from productive people to too great a degree
        ends up being counterproductive.

>Part of the problem is that you seem to be incapable of distinguishing
>between merit and hereditary. This has already been established.

        Plus, this occurs even in the presence of inheritance taxes.
        The children of the wealthy still derive benefits from merely
        being born to the right parents. You don't stop the formation
        of aristocracy with death taxes. It's just an ineffective
        feel-good measure that gives governments more money to wate.

>>2. How much you want to bet the the Kennedy's have never paid a dime
>>in Inheritance taxes.
>
>Then maybe it's time to lower the thresholds and tighten the loopholes!
>I bet that it's not the democrats who are fighting this ...
[deletia]

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mcclain)
Subject: Re: fdisk /mbr, install i
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:04:35 GMT

Howdy Jeremy,
    Pardon me for interrupting but you're being mis-directed.
It's not necessary to repartition C:. You can and I have installed
Linux at the top of the third drive in my system. What makes it
work and all you have to do is put a copy of boot.b, chain.b and
your kernel on C:, point lilo at those files and run lilo with
C: mounted.
My fstab entry for C: looks like this:
/dev/hda1     /c               msdos   defaults,ro     0 0
>From the command line:
me# mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /c
Of course you must have created /c with 'mkdir /c'.
I hope you enjoy your Linux experience. Reading the Linux FAQ and
generating a few aliases early on will help you over the hump.
BTW, you don't need lilo. loadlin comes with all Linuxes I've seen.
It's a DOS mode loader that will load linux from the DOS command
line or a batch. This is all that's in  C:\bats\slak70.bat:
h:\linux\boot\loadlin g:\vmlinuz.s70 root=/dev/hdc8 ro

G'Luck,
MiKe

-=> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote to ALL <=-

 JP> "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
 JP> news:96vtj7$j7t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
 >
 > The best thing to do: shrink C: and make a /boot at the start of the HDD.
 >

 JP> i guess this is what i don't know how to do.  how do i do this?
 JP> moreover, how do i do this without losing anything on the current
 JP> windows partition. i apologize, but these concepts are very new to me.
 JP> so, if you can, be as descriptive as possible.  thanks.
 JP> --

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.31

------------------------------

From: Chris Egolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape problems with 2.4.0 kernel ? (was Netscape 4, Mozilla errs with
common sites ? (RH7.0))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:49:41 GMT

Marcello M. Pavan wrote:

 > Greetings all,
 >

 > I recently posted a problem I had with NS4.76 not connecting to various
 > common web sites, and it truns out that the problem is the 2.4.0 kernel.
 > The problem surfaced also with Mozilla and Lynx, so it had to be bigger
 > than NS. I compiled and am now running the 2.2.19pre14 kernel, and now it
 > works fine, just as before the RH7 upgrade.
 >
 > anyone know why this happened ?   are there patches for 2.4.0 to fix this ?
 >
 > regards,  BuN

You configured your kernel for the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) option
which isn't supported by many routers and firewalls currently in use.  You can
disable this by typing (as root):

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

or putting it in a startup script.  Or, you could recompile the kernel w/o the
option.  This is a 'good' thing because it will eventually help ease congestion
on the internet, but we have to wait for people to start fixing firewalls and
routers first.

Here's what the kernel config help has to say about it:

CONFIG_INET_ECN:

Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) allows routers to notify
clients about network congestion, resulting in fewer dropped packets
and increased network performance. This option adds ECN support to the
Linux kernel, as well as a sysctl (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn) which
allows ECN support to be disabled at runtime.

Note that, on the Internet, there are many broken firewalls which
refuse connections from ECN-enabled machines, and it may be a while
before these firewalls are fixed. Until then, to access a site behind
such a firewall (some of which are major sites, at the time of this
writing) you will have to disable this option, either by saying N now
or by using the sysctl.

If in doubt, say N.

                                Chris Egolf
              http://www.ugholf.net     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:05:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:08 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
>> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
>> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
>> >this situation.
>>
>> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
>> to taxes.
>
>GOOD!

Interesting notion: should unearned income be taxable, and earned
income non-taxable?  (What is the diff?)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- this might be a dumb question, perhaps :-)
                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.