From: Becca Sibrack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Java(TM) Virtual Machine Research & Technology Symposium
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:11:03 -0800

Java Virtual Machine
Research and Technology Symposium (JVM ¹01)
April 23-24, 2001
Monterey, California, USA
http://www.usenix.org/events/jvm01
REGISTER BY March 19, 2001, and Save $100!

* Hear presentations on hot issues, such as building efficient compilers
and garbage collectors, implementing faster thread models, and moreŠ
* Network with experts and peers in both industry and academia
* Get a glimpse of the future in the Work-in-Progress session

Do you want to share your new or ongoing work with the JVM audience, and
receive valuable feedback? The Program Committee invites your submission
for the Work-in-Progress session by March 1, 2001.

Please visit http://www.usenix.org/events/jvm01 for complete program and
registration information.

Remember, register by March 19th for early bird rates on registration
and hotel rooms. We look forward to seeing you in Monterey!

USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association. USENIX is an
international membership society.

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: More Dial Up Woes In Suse Linux 6.0
Date: 21 Feb 2001 19:14:03 -0600

David Ayliffe a écrit :

> My modem still doesn't work.  It dials and verifies but I can get NO web
> pages and any ping (even to an IP address) doesn't work; it comes back
> network unreachable. I have set up the DNS server details in YaST.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Please reply to group or directly to email
>
> Thanks

It sounds like you don't have any DNS entry. Run yast and enter a couple of
DNS numbers in the section NAMESERVER

I don't remember about the wvdial of such an old version of SuSE but in
version 6.4 and 7.0 there is a stupid mode which will do eveything for you,
even find the needed DNS numbers much like winblows does.

The first time you must run wvdial while logged as root.
If you never ran wvdial got to a console
cd /etc
wvdialconf wvdial.conf

You can double check wvdial.conf to make sure it got the correct information.

wvdial

It should connect correctly at that time

alt F2

ping www.suse.de

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:17:13 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2001 23:12:06 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> >>1. I favor the abolition of inheritance taxes for precisely that reason.
> >>Inheritance taxes are one of the MOST Marxist taxes around.
> >
> >On the contrary, creating a society that hands out rewards on the basis
> >of inheritance and not merit is a great way to create an aristocracy.
>
>         That still doesn't eliminate the fact that you are still
>         fucking with people's motivations to be productive.
>         Stealing from productive people to too great a degree
>         ends up being counterproductive.
>

> >Part of the problem is that you seem to be incapable of distinguishing
> >between merit and hereditary. This has already been established.
>
>         Plus, this occurs even in the presence of inheritance taxes.
>         The children of the wealthy still derive benefits from merely
>         being born to the right parents. You don't stop the formation
>         of aristocracy with death taxes. It's just an ineffective
>         feel-good measure that gives governments more money to wate.

Actually, death taxes and income taxes exacerbate the problem by
CONCENTRATING wealth into the hands of the politicians.

And then people wonder why government becomes corrupt.

The higher the tax rates, the more corrupt the politicians.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

K: Truth in advertising:

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "japhilp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nonIDE CD skips! wtf?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:19:50 GMT

enable dma transfers with hdparm

news:9715gk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Seve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NEWSFLASH!!!!  How to get a Lucent Winmodem to work under Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:29:33 -0800

YEah!!  I did it after one month of trying different things.  OK, here are
the details:

Linux distro: Mandrake 7.2
Kernel version: 2.4.1
Modem: Netcomm IN5692 (lucent chip)
Dialler: kppp2.4

If you are running 2.2.*, it may still work so give it a try before
upgrading your kernel.

First of all, go to www.linmodem.org and download ltmodem-5.78e.tar.gz

Once downloaded, change to the directory where the file is located and type
the following:
#tar zxvf ltmodem-5.78e.tar.gz;cd ltmodem-5.78e

This will take you to a directory where the installation files are located.
 Now, run the following:
#./build_module
#./ltinst

This should almost do the job for you.  For those who wish to register this
installation as an rpm package, you can do the following:

#./build_rpm
#rpm -i ltmodem-5.78e.rpm

Now, for the finishing touch, change to /dev and remove modem
#cd /dev
#rm modem

The above installation will create a new device in the dev dir called
ttyLT0.  I use kppp to connect to my ISP and this will not contain the new
device in there.  In order to make the program see you modem, do this:
#ln -s /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem

Now, open up KPPP, select /dev/modem as the location of your modem, click
on the query modem button and if you're lucky like me and didn't receive
any errors previously, it should detect your modem and bring a smile to
your face...lol

Create a profile for your ISP, click on Connect, et voila!!!

If you have any questions, go to my homepage at
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~jmc/index.htm and click on the link to email
me.  If you want to thank me for my hard work (lol), reload my homepage 10
times to make my counter go up...

Good Luck!!
Ecka

------------------------------

From: amila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xwindow
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:30:06 -0000

okay.........
please note i am a linux newbie so please bare with me

i installed Mandrake 7.2 on my computer(p166 32mb, ~yeah it's old i know~)
the installation went fine
but after the cmoputer rebooted it goes to the command prompt
so i logged in as root and typed in "startx", it said "screen(s) were
found but none were usable" ?????!!!!
and beeps!!!
so i typed in startkde
it then says that there is no display
i have an ati rage II + dvd (4megs)
i chose the the monitor that the install gave me, which was a generic
moniter
so the question:
HOW THE HELL CAN I START XWINDOWS!!!! or WHATEVER THAT GET'S ME AWAY FROM
THAT PROMPT?!!!!!!!!

i would reeealy appreciate it if someone out there could help out.
thanx!

just so you know i tried corel linux and it worked fine.

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:32:58 -0800
From: Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwindow

amila wrote:

> okay.........
> please note i am a linux newbie so please bare with me
>
> i installed Mandrake 7.2 on my computer(p166 32mb, ~yeah it's old i know~)
> the installation went fine
> but after the cmoputer rebooted it goes to the command prompt
> so i logged in as root and typed in "startx", it said "screen(s) were
> found but none were usable" ?????!!!!
> and beeps!!!
> so i typed in startkde
> it then says that there is no display
> i have an ati rage II + dvd (4megs)
> i chose the the monitor that the install gave me, which was a generic
> moniter
> so the question:
> HOW THE HELL CAN I START XWINDOWS!!!! or WHATEVER THAT GET'S ME AWAY FROM
> THAT PROMPT?!!!!!!!!
>
> i would reeealy appreciate it if someone out there could help out.
> thanx!

Instead of using the Mandrake X config tool, use xf86config or
XF86Setup.....then if you still have trouble you can go direct to the horse's
mouth (XFree86) for help.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:44:06 -0600

David Ayliffe wrote:

> My modem still doesn't work.  It dials and verifies but I can get NO web
> pages and any ping (even to an IP address) doesn't work; it comes back
> network unreachable. I have set up the DNS server details in YaST.
>
> Any ideas?

This would have nothing to do with your modem, if it is dialing and connecting.
If you can't ping an IP address it sounds like your routing is not working. Type
'route' and note what the default route is. It should be point to you ISPs
dialup server.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelvin Chow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: ISO cd images, whats wrong here?
Date: 21 Feb 2001 19:01:09 GMT

It is difficult to pin point the problem from your message.  I can
only think that you might have a problem during any one of the
following steps:

1.  Downloading the iso image.  (ie. iso image downloaded is not
    right)
2.  Problem with burning the image.

To ensure step 1 is correct, you should use "md5sum" to see if your
image downloaded is an exact copy of the RH6.2 image.

As for step 2, I remember you can have xcdroast to verify the burned
image with the image on your harddrive.  I don't know about ez cd
creator.

Hope this helps.

--
Kelvin Chow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        ...please remove NOSPAM when replying

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelvin Chow)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Sincronizing or mirroring
Date: 21 Feb 2001 18:49:47 GMT

wget does mirroring.  However, it does not do syncronizing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelvin Chow)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: HOW TO make a user an administrator of a group or single user
Date: 21 Feb 2001 19:04:31 GMT

Is there anything wrong with using "sudo"?

From: Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Staroffice 5.2 memory usage
Date: 21 Feb 2001 20:20:13 -0500

I am using Staroffice 5.2.  I noiced that it uses like 700MB of ram while running.
What's the deal?

How can I reduce it?  Does it use that much on everyone's machine?  I have 512MB RAM
and a lot of swap.  Is it using so much because I have so much?

Thanks!

--Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 22 Feb 2001 02:09:12 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:47:46 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>On the contrary, creating a society that hands out rewards on the basis
>>of inheritance and not merit is a great way to create an aristocracy.
>
>       That still doesn't eliminate the fact that you are still
>       fucking with people's motivations to be productive.
>       Stealing from productive people to too great a degree
>       ends up being counterproductive.

The fact that they won't have as much money after they die is unlikely
to kill their motivation to work hard.

I agree with the basic thrust of this statement though -- it's important
that there's an incentive to be productive.

>       Plus, this occurs even in the presence of inheritance taxes.
>       The children of the wealthy still derive benefits from merely
>       being born to the right parents.

Of course. So what ? I don't think it's possible or desirable to
completely level the playing field -- the measures required to
do so would be draconian.

> You don't stop the formation
>       of aristocracy with death taxes.

If you use the money to fund a decent public education system, you
have something which is of greater resemblence to a meritocracy. The
rich kids have an advantage, but not an exclusive lock.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 22 Feb 2001 02:17:50 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:19:00 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>That's why Bush's plan primarily benefits the richest 1%, right ? And it's
>>also why the democrats are opposing it -- because giving huge tax breaks
>
>       ...because the republicans are advocating it.
>
>       No other motivation is required really.

Then why have the Democrats been fairly supportive of GWB's education plan?

Even Senator Kennedy, hardly the most non-partisan Democrat, spoke
favourably of the plan.

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: where is dict?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:36:48 -0500

i have a RH 7.0 box. could you please tell me where is the dictionary file
located. i cudn't find it under /usr/dict/ !
thanx
-sud

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 22 Feb 2001 02:55:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: If we can't steal copyrighted Windows then must we practice birth control
: too Mr. AK.  I'm positive the planet can contain 10 billion people.

If long-term trends hold, it will contain far more than 10 billion
people soon, and most of those people will live more comfortably than
most of the current 6 billion do now.

Joe