From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best distro for old PC?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:11:24 +1100

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> > Rob Chambers wrote:

> "Stanislaw Flatto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> There's a version of Slackware called "Zipslack," designed to run from a
> 100MB Zip disk.

> Matt O.

Me again.
What can be done, I don't have 100M Zip drive.
>From the heap pulled few antiques and told Linux to put them to work. They do.
Slack 7.1 is running on my regular box.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:11:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:39:51 GMT, Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>[deletia]
>>> conviction. It's a formal game at bottom - like winning at Gin Rummy.
>>
>>Well, I can respect that.
>>
>>It's how I look at the results of my 5 senses. I don't have an absolute
>>belief in anything I see or hear, but I've found that if I pay attention
>>it helps "win the game".
>>
>>However, maybe I'm strange. I feel that some studies like perhaps ethics
>>are somehow grounded in a "absolute" truth. Maybe because I fear the
>>alternative.
>
>       Ethics is not infact based on "absolute" truth but acknowledging
>       what your standards and objectives are. It is "absolute" truth
>       that is scary for it is typically adhered to without any thought.

"Relative" truth, OTOH, isn't scarey at all. Just ask Charles Mason. :-)

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DLT1 and RedHat 6.2
Date: 22 Feb 2001 12:49:23 -0600

Bob> Ok, due to a misshipment I have available to me an internal DLT1
Bob> drive from Dell. I want to put this in our Dell Poweredge 2400
Bob> streaming media server (Real 7) running RedHat 6.2. According to
Bob> the Redhat site DLT1 drives only work under RedHat 7, but due to
Bob> some issues with 7 we'd rather not upgrade. Also, Real doesn't
Bob> recommend going to the 2.4 kernel yet since it hasn't been
Bob> tested.

Bob> So, finally to what I'm after. Has anyone here gotten a DLT1
Bob> drive to work under RedHat 6.2 and if so how did you go about
Bob> doing it? Thanks in advance for the help.

I would find it entirely remarkable if the functioning of a DLT drive
would have the slightest bit to do with what variation of Red Hat
Linux you're running.

<http://www.products.storage.hp.com/eprise/main/storage/compatibility/index.htm>
indicates that HP has validated that their "SureStore" DLT1 drives
(quite likely to be what you have) work with Linux kernels 2.0.X and
above, which is essentially representative of Any Reasonably Modern
Linux Kernel.

Indeed, they quote the following distributions as being "fully
supported":

- RedHat Linux 6.1+
- Turbo Linux 4.0+
- Corel Linux
- SuSe Linux
- Mandrake Linux

Now, if they have certified _COREL LINUX_ as "fully supported," I
can't imagine the difference between RHAT 6.x and 7.x being of any
significance.

RHAT indicates, at:

<http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/sysconfig.html>
"BLOCKSIZE=32768
     This worked fine for 8mm, then 4mm, and now DLT. An optimal setting is
     probably however much data your drive writes at one time."

The nearest claim I can see to what you indicate is found at:
<http://hardware.redhat.com/redhatready/html/us/static-hcl/intel-server.html>,
which merely indicates that version 7.0 definitely _does_ support such
drives, not that 6.2 does not.

And a search through their compatibility list at
<http://hardware.redhat.com/> indicates that DLT drives certainly
should work with their 6.2 release.

[As a great "Duh!  How could the distribution version _possibly_ have
anything to do with the compatibility of a tape drive using the
long-standardized SCSI tape interface!" rises from the crowd...]

If RHAT was implying that this could be an issue to cause one to need
to downgrade to 7.0, they would very rightly deserve to be spanked.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/hardware.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: <Q> using lpr to number pages
Date: 22 Feb 2001 10:19:13 -0600

Jean-David> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  Hi. is there a paramter I can pass to lpr to have it number
>> the pages when I print? I am tired of having to hand number
>> documents every time I print a web page from netscape :-)

Jean-David> I do not know that that is a proper function of lpr,
Jean-David> but often an earlier tool, such as pr, can do it. As
Jean-David> in

Jean-David> pr -n filelist | lpr

I don't think that approach is terribly likely to work when printing a
web page from Netscape, as "pr" is intended to take _text_ files, and
transform them into a more "nicely printed" form by separating Just
Plain Raw Text into sets of pages with headers and footers and such.

He'd probably be looking for something in the way of a Postscript
filter.

The one that leaps first to mind is PSTools, but this appears unhelpful.
<http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/software/postscript-tools.html>

a2ps ("Anything to Postscript") may be more useful...
<http://www.gnu.org/software/a2ps/a2ps.html>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/printing.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: Synchronizing time between linux boxes
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:15:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>Try NTP:
>
>http://www.cis.udel.edu/~ntp
>
>From "rpm -qi ntp":
>
>The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used to synchronize a computer's
>time with another reference time source.  The ntp package contains
>utilities and daemons which will synchronize your computer's time to
>Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) via the NTP protocol and NTP servers.
>The ntp package includes ntpdate (a program for retrieving the date
>and time from remote machines via a network) and ntpd (a daemon which
>continuously adjusts system time).

Doesn't rdate do that? Maybe not as fancy, but I use rdate to
sync to tock.usno.navy.mil, for example and run it as a cron job.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: Mandrake: Can't login!
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:19:06 GMT

In article <Qqdl6.4061$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Bonner wrote:
>I have just installed Mandrake 6.1(Helios) on a standalone machine (custom
>installation). (It came on a magazine disk.)
>
>When I get to the login prompt at localhost, it will not accept root or
>username and acts as if I did not type anything. I don't even get an error
>messsage.
>What is the problem here? Have I overlooked something? Should I just choose
>the "workstation" option?
>
>Any ideas welcome.
>John Bonner.

John,

Can you be more specific?

- Did you get a "login:" prompt?
- When you type, do the characters appear on the screen?
- When you type in 'root' at the login prompt and press Enter, do you get
a "Password:" prompt?
- When you did the install, it asked you for a root password or admin
password, right?
- What specific error message(s) are you getting?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:24:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dirk Groeneveld wrote:
>Mark Bratcher wrote:
>> So what have we gained in all this? I think it's a compromise. I think
>> we now see app and OS changes more rapidly (with the possible exception
>> of MicroSoft stuff hehe), but also code is written a lot less efficiently.
>
>Watch your words. I think that code is written a lot more efficiently than
>in the old days.
>But the written code is a lot less efficient.

Perhaps we're defining "efficient" differently.
In the "old days" you had almost no choice but to write fast, small code
or it just wouldn't fit or run.

>Today, an application like KNode (don't nail me down on this) can be
>developed in 3 months. It then supports toolbars and menus, interacts with
>other applications, runs on machines ranging from a 486 with 100 MHz to the
>latest Sun Server.
>That's efficient code writing.

I know one can whip together a Windows program, for example, faster than one
could several years ago using the raw Windows API. Perhaps more efficiently in
that case, too, if the component objects are well written and well organized.

>Rolie's PDP-6 operating system runs fast and needs merely 4K of memory.
>That's writing efficient code.

Yes, I see what you mean by the distinction.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:28:19 GMT

On 22 Feb 2001 10:19:13 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jean-David> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>  Hi. is there a paramter I can pass to lpr to have it number
>>> the pages when I print? I am tired of having to hand number
>>> documents every time I print a web page from netscape :-)
>>>
>Jean-David> I do not know that that is a proper function of lpr,
>Jean-David> but often an earlier tool, such as pr, can do it. As
>Jean-David> in
>
>Jean-David> pr -n filelist | lpr
>
>I don't think that approach is terribly likely to work when printing a
>web page from Netscape, as "pr" is intended to take _text_ files, and
>transform them into a more "nicely printed" form by separating Just
>Plain Raw Text into sets of pages with headers and footers and such.
>
>He'd probably be looking for something in the way of a Postscript
>filter.
>
>The one that leaps first to mind is PSTools, but this appears unhelpful.
><http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/software/postscript-tools.html>
>
>a2ps ("Anything to Postscript") may be more useful...
><http://www.gnu.org/software/a2ps/a2ps.html>
>--

Also, if lpr is "filtered" thru apsfilter, then the just set the
page numbering on.

------------------------------

From: jayslattery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux ftp install
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:30:06 -0000

I recently decided to give Linux a shot.  I downloaded both ISO files from
a linux ftp site and burnt them onto two cdr's.  are the files still
supposed to be iso's when they are burnt or are they suppose to have files
on the disc.  I simply have one file, the iso, that takes up about 645 MB
on each disc.  I tried booting from the first disc but the system does not
recognize the disc.  i can boot when i put my Win 98 cd in the drive, so
the computer is recognizing the drive at startup.  i then downloaded the
boot image.  however, it is too big to fit on a floppy, so i have the same
problem now.  i burnt the boot image to a disc but that also is not being
recognized.  does anybody know what i'm doing wrong?  any help would be
GREATLY appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: where to set PATH?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:28:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Todd Ahlstrom wrote:
>I am currently using Red Hat 7.0.  What file contains the PATH
>variables?  I need to add one for the Java Development Kit, but I can't
>figure out where to do it.  Also, can I put the new ones into effect
>without rebooting? Thank you for the help.

Depends upon what scope you want.

If you want the variable set for all users who log in, then look
for the appropriate init file under /etc, such as /etc/profile
(which is where I _think_ environment variables are defined more
so than in /etc/bashrc).

For a single user, use the user's .bash_profile (if you're using bash).

From: "Cameron Kerr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Identical logons...
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:29:34 +1300

In article <D4fl6.106634$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I currently have a three-box network.  One box Win98, another box
> running Redhat 5.2, and a third which will either be running RH6.2 or
> NetBSD.
>
> I have plans currently to use NIS or NIS+ to coordinate logons and home
> directories between the LInux and BSD boxes.  However, I got to thinking
> about tying the Windows box in as well.

Don't use NIS+ if you can use NIS (read the howto)

> I have a pretty good idea of how to get the home directories in, but I'm
> unsure as to the logons themselves.  I haven't been able to find any
> documentation as to whether Win98 works with NIS, or what.

NIS-HOWTO

> Does anyone have any ideas?  Is NIS the wrong tack altogether?  Or will
> I have to run a separate daemon for the Win98 logins?

NIS is fine for Unix like OS's, but I don't think Windows will use it.
Use samba for this task? Although I don't think samba can yet act as a NT
password server.

HIH -- Cameron Kerr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:39:19 -0000

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:11:49 GMT, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>
>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>Well, I can respect that.
>>>
>>>It's how I look at the results of my 5 senses. I don't have an absolute
>>>belief in anything I see or hear, but I've found that if I pay attention
>>>it helps "win the game".
>>>
>>>However, maybe I'm strange. I feel that some studies like perhaps ethics
>>>are somehow grounded in a "absolute" truth. Maybe because I fear the
>>>alternative.
>>
>>      Ethics is not infact based on "absolute" truth but acknowledging
>>      what your standards and objectives are. It is "absolute" truth
>>      that is scary for it is typically adhered to without any thought.
>>

>"Relative" truth, OTOH, isn't scarey at all. Just ask Charles Mason. :-)

        If you insist on following that tactic,
        there are far scarier names to dredge up.

--

        Regarding Copyleft:

          There are more of "US" than there are of "YOU", so I don't
          really give a damn if you're mad that the L/GPL makes it
          harder for you to be a robber baron.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Todd Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:00:37 GMT

thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2001 02:29:06 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:42:10 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:14:47 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>
>> >Really?
>> >
>> >1. So, what you're saying, is that, after you die, you intend to pass
>> >on absolutely NOTHING of value to your children and/or grandchildren?
>>
>> I doubt I'm likely to have anything over the threshold for the inheritance
>> tax in the US.
>
>I see.  So, basically, you have some arbitrary figure in mind as to how
>much is "too much".

Obviously, the figure would have to be viewed in context of other taxes.
I'd suggest a rate comparable to the top marginal rate (I believe the
existing inheritance rate is higher) and put the threshold fairly high
(as it already is).

>Or are you an "I don't care about injustice as long as it doesn't
>effect me" hypocrite.

Those poor fund babies -- how my heart bleeds for them.

>>               But suppose I was taxed at 100%. That would not stop me
>> working while I was alive, no. I'm not saying they should tax at that
>> rate though.
>
>You would willingly get up and go to work each day under a
>100% income tax law?

I was referring to inheritance. I'd still work if my inheritance ws
taxed at 100%.

I don't advocate a 100% marginal rate for income taxes.

[ snip ]

If you really think I'm advocating that, I can see why you are expressing
disagreement ...

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:35:25 GMT

"chris lamb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Can anyone advise me of the best way to synchronize the time to a time
> server in Linux. I have 4 machines networked and wish to sync them to a
> single server.
>
> I have looked around briefly but it does not appear to be documented in any
> of the books I have.

Head to <http://www.ntp.org/>, and look for an RPM or other such
appropriate packaging of "NTP" for your systems.

NTP is a protocol designed to provide precisely the functionality you
describe, and the reference implementation runs very nicely on Linux.
It would also be possible to use a program called "RDIST" to do
somewhat less sophisticated synchronization; with disk space and
memory being relatively cheap these days, it hardly seems overly
expensive to use the Real Deal to sync time.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/internet.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to make Linux slim?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:35:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear) writes:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:25:42 +0100, Peter T. Breuer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Would apache at a cache work better in this memory configuration?

>>No. Well .. not unless you set the in-memory cache to near zero,
>>which you can do for squid too (hot cache).

>>Your problem is trying to run a cache server on a system with no
>>memory.  That means it must use disk, and thus will be slow. Even if
>>it uses disk exclusively for the cache, it'll still be swapping in
>>and out.

> Yes. For a network of four workstations this may not be too bad. A
> swapping machine is still going to be faster than a slow Internet
> connection. However, using the system interactively may be
> painful. The BEST solution is to add some RAM though.

Indeed.  I'm probably going to toss some extra RAM onto my main box
pretty soon now; for $90 or so, it seems silly _not_ to toss on an
extra 256MB of PC133 RAM.

This shouldn't be considered a good excuse for _ludicrous_ bloat, but
the flip side is that it makes little sense to try to optimize for
tiny memory spaces when you've got a whopping huge amount of the
stuff...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 23 Feb 2001 02:39:44 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:30:49 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>>     ...because the republicans are advocating it.
>>>
>>>     No other motivation is required really.
>>
>>Then why have the Democrats been fairly supportive of GWB's education plan?
>>
>>Even Senator Kennedy, hardly the most non-partisan Democrat, spoke
>>favourably of the plan.
>
>       One never can tell what sort of bargaining is going on in
>       a political body. Also, conflict cannot be total, otherwise
>       it would undermine reelection.

Wouldn't this be in direct contradiction to your previous statement,
in that it implies that the Democrats need to be *selective* about
which Republican policies they choose to oppose and which they
choose to support ? IMO most of them are pretty sincere in their
support of the education policy and the condemnation of the tax
plan (which isn't that surprising -- the education plan is somewhat
federalist)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Linux ftp install
Date: 23 Feb 2001 02:43:21 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:30:06 -0000, jayslattery staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I recently decided to give Linux a shot.  I downloaded both ISO files
>from a linux ftp site and burnt them onto two cdr's.  are the files
>still supposed to be iso's when they are burnt or are they suppose to
>have files on the disc.  I simply have one file, the iso, that takes up
>about 645 MB on each disc.  I tried booting from the first disc but the
>system does not recognize the disc.  i can boot when i put my Win 98 cd
>in the drive, so the computer is recognizing the drive at startup.  i
>then downloaded the boot image.  however, it is too big to fit on a
>floppy, so i have the same problem now.  i burnt the boot image to a
>disc but that also is not being recognized.  does anybody know what i'm
>doing wrong?  any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yep.  The ISO should be burnt to the CD-R all at once.  The command to
do this from Sleazy CD Cremator is something like "use whole disk image"
--don't know the real syntax; it's been ages since I've burnt a CD with
anything other than cdrecord.  When the CD has been burned successfully,
there will be files and directories visible on the CD, including
"README", "dosutils", "docs", "ls-lR.gz", "disks", and 5 or 6 others.

Floppy disk images are 1.4M in size, and are meant to be copied directly
to a floppy using RAWRITE.EXE (DOS) or "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0"
(Unix).  RAWRITE.EXE is on the first Linux CD in the dosutils directory,
or you can download it separately.

If I were you, I'd try the CD-burning again.  Grep through the
documentation of your CD-burning program for "ISO" and see what you get;
this should let you burn the CD successfully.  Or go to cheapbytes.com
and spend $5-6 on a set of CDs, or find a Linux User Group in your area
and ask its members for a distro CD.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:08:10 -0800

"Stanislaw Flatto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Matt O'Toole wrote:

> > > Rob Chambers wrote:

> > "Stanislaw Flatto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > There's a version of Slackware called "Zipslack," designed to run from a
> > 100MB Zip disk.

> Me again.
> What can be done, I don't have 100M Zip drive.

So install it on your hard drive instead.  Linux will run on whatever kind
of drive you want, even a floppy if the distribution is small enough..  The
idea of Zipslack is that it's under 100MB, not that it's drive specific.  I
believe all the instructions you need are in the Zipslack section of the
Slackwre website.

> From the heap pulled few antiques and told Linux to put them to work. They
do.
> Slack 7.1 is running on my regular box.

Great!  So you have a working familiarity with Slackware already.  It should
be easy for you then.

Matt O.