Linux-Misc Digest #202, Volume #27               Fri, 23 Feb 01 08:13:02 EST

Contents:
  php ("Wong Ching Kuen Frederick")
  Re: LPI Certification (Jeff Silverman)
  resources for running cgi ("Wong Ching Kuen Frederick")
  Routing.....Arrrggggh...Help!! ("Adam Evans")
  RedHat 7.0 Shutdown Problem (Jim Henderson)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Ketil Z Malde)
  Re: Scripting like a .bat (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Linux "error 0x10" (Michael Heiming)
  Re: replacing startx with startx -- +xinerama (Walter van der Schee)
  Re: Seperate firewall machine delema (Wolfgang Lonien)
  Re: HOW TO make a user an administrator of a group or single user ("David E. Smith")
  Re: bash scripting tips needed (John Thompson)
  Re: FTP scripting... (John Thompson)
  Re: Size of LINUX (John Thompson)
  Re: Help: apache access denied...problems (moonie;))
  Re: Netscape problems with 2.4.0 kernel ? (was Netscape 4, Mozilla errs  (Ivo
Batistic)
  Re: Linux "error 0x10" ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: resources for running cgi ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Mandrake 7.2 huge /proc/bus/usb problem (Sergiy Zhenochin)
  Tele Traffic Tapper (TTT) or any other similar tool?? ("Rick Goh")
  Re: What is up with PPP in 2.4.1? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: php
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:12:45 +0800

in php4.0.1/linux, how can i control the user in which directory that they
can run php code just like cgi?! thanks.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LPI Certification
Date: 23 Feb 2001 08:41:51 GMT

Martin Kai wrote:

> Invitation to participate and build LPI Certification resource site.
>
> Cheers.
> LPICert Team

Details?  URL?  What does LPI stand for?

Thank you,

Jeff

--
Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband,
father etc.

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: resources for running cgi
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:46:15 +0800

some of my user run perl in apache. however, they tends to make mistake and
infinite loop is common, and this is always fatal. how can i limit the
reources for such thing (exec. time and memory)? thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Adam Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Routing.....Arrrggggh...Help!!
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:25:08 -0000

This driving me up the wall. I have set up a RedHat Linux 6.2 box with diald
on it. This machine is going to be a router/firewall machine. The thing is I
can't get the routing sorted out.. Where does everything need to point to?
No matter where I point everything to, I just can't seem to get the routing
table looking like anything I've seen on any web pages.

My IP Address for my dialup connection is say 10.11.12.13 (sorry I can't
remember the proper one), and the remote address for my ISP (Demon Internet)
is 158.152.1.222. The IP address of my internal network interface is
192.168.1.1.

What do I need to do to configure networks etc......
What does my default route on this machine have to be set to?
In my diald configuration do I need to have the defaultroute command bit in
either diald.conf or ppp/options?

This is just doing my head in!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Adam

------------------------------

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.0 Shutdown Problem
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:31:28 -0700

Hi, all...

Got RedHat 7.0 with kernel 2.4.0 (released, not the one that came with
RH7) and have noticed on one system (and only one system of 3 that's set
up this way) that when the system shuts down it never unmounts the /
filesystem.  Result is that when I reboot the system after a clean
shutdown, e2fsck still has to run.

I've looked over the shutdown scripts and can't find anything wrong -
but I'm not that familiar with how the shutdown sequence works.  Where
should I be looking to determine why the system isn't unmounting the
filesystem properly?

TIA,

Jim

Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:35:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

>>1. So, what you're saying, is that, after you die, you intend to pass
>>on absolutely NOTHING of value to your children and/or grandchildren?

> I doubt I'm likely to have anything over the threshold for the inheritance
> tax in the US. But suppose I was taxed at 100%. That would not stop me
> working while I was alive, no.

On the other hand,  leaving stashes of money might stop your
(grand)children from working. :-)

-kzm

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scripting like a .bat
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:39:17 +0100

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Jason Krohn wrote:

> I've used linux for awhile, but i grow tired of typing wome things
> repetitively, ie running things with wine.  Is there some way i can
> script it like a batch from dos?
> an example of what i need done
> cd..
> cd..
> cd mnt
> cd windows
> cd "my programs"
> cd winamp
> wine winamp.exe
>
> or maybe all on one line, whatever works.  It's just a pain when trying
> to run office and find all teh dang executeables.

scripting possible under linux?  that's a good one :)

it's not really necessary for the task at hand, though,
wine /mnt/.../winamp.exe should work just fine and as the
.bashrc or put an icon on your desktop of choice.
                                                     Gerald

PS: why do you use winamp, btw? don't you like xmms?

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux "error 0x10"
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:48:12 +0100

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> jayslattery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > so i managed to install redhat 7.  after finishing the install, i get the
> > black screen and some various system messages.  one looked odd, saying
> > that some file failed because it was too large.  odd since, i've
> > partitioned 8 GB for the linux section of my hard drive.  thought nothing
>
> Show us your partition table.

The output from:

fdisk -l

> Tell us how much memory you have. When
> you say "file" do you mean something like "installing lilo failed
> because partition /dev/hda3 is too large and may not fit under 1023
> cylinders"?
>
> > of it.  when i install the emergency disc to bring up lilo (currently the
> > only way i can access it) i press enter, and i get the following: "error
> > 0x10"  i've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find the meaning of
> > this error or the solution.  i have an athlon processor, maybe that is
>
> This is a bios error. Look it up in the lilo docs. Probably "I can't do
> that: your disk offset is too large for me to be able to load from".
>
> > part of the problem.  please help!! i'm getting more frustrated with
>
> Post data.

> Peter

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Walter van der Schee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: replacing startx with startx -- +xinerama
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:52:17 +0100

Chris Nelson wrote:

> Hello: This weekend I finally got a working config file for using 2
> monitors on a g400 max.
>
> My problem however is that right now my etc/inittab file has me going to
> only run level 3. if I change this value to 5, the systems takes me to a
> graphical logon..but with only one monitor. My guess is that the system
> is still strying to run startx as opposed to startx -- +xinerama. Where
> do I need to make a change so this can be automoated? Any advice is

> #    Screen "Screen 1"
> Screen "Screen 1" LeftOf "Screen 2"    Screen "Screen 2"
>
> # Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
> # optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
> # used.  Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
> # "SendCoreEvents".
>
> InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
>
> EndSection

The solution I found was simpler than any of the others I've seen
until now.

In your XF86Config file in the ServerLayout section put the layout like
this:

Section "ServerLayout"

Indentifier "Simple Layout"

Screen "Screen 1" LeftOf "Screen 2"
Screen "Screen 2"
Option "Xinerama"

EndSection

This should start X by default in Xinerama mode, regardless.

As for kdm starting instead of gdm, you can ofcourse
edit inittab to start kdm at runlevel 5, instead of gdm/xdm.

Walter

--
ing. Walter van der Schee
TrienniuM B.V.

====================================
"Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
====================================

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Lonien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seperate firewall machine delema
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:10:16 +0100

Warren Bell wrote:

> <firewall>

Hi Warren,

it's a good idea to let one machine take care only of *security*, and to hide the
'real' servers behind that one. With ipchains you are on the right path already, for
Kernel 2.4 and up this will be netfilter/iptables. Read the Routing-Howto, the
Masquerading-Howto, the Advanced-Routing-Howto, the Firewall-Howto, and the
Security-Howto.

Greetings,
Wolfgang

------------------------------

From: "David E. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW TO make a user an administrator of a group or single user
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:16:33 +0000

In our last shocking episode of comp.os.linux.security,
Kelvin Chow revealed a dark secret:

> Is there anything wrong with using "sudo"?

I don't think sudo is flexible enough here. At least not without a
significant level of hacking on /etc/sudoers, and that could be unwieldy
to maintain.

Writing a smallish setuid program is probably easier and saner in the long
run. Basically, check that the user running the program is the specified
user, and that the user whose password is being changed is in the
specified group. It's probably safer to define these variables at
compile-time instead of trying to read a config file. Then throw up a
standard password dialog, and that's about it...

...dave

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash scripting tips needed
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:39:40 -0600

sherror wrote:

> Need some tips on making some scripts.
> Is it possible to parse an alias like a command?
> Say you have an alias, using bash, that is something like:
>
> alias bigdirpath='/usr/local/src/big/long/pathname'
>
> And say that directory has a bunch of files in it.
> How could I parse the alias so I could use the TAB key afterwards
> to see the files in that directory?
> I'm sure there is a billion ways to do this, but I'm just learning and in need of
>some tips. Or maybe there is a totally different way to do this, like making a
>executable script?

Why not just create a sym-link to
/usr/local/src/big/long/pathname in some convenient location for
the script to use?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP scripting...
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:42:25 -0600

"René Scheibe" wrote:

> ...can someone tell me if the normal ftp-client is scriptable???
> How can I write a script for it.
> Can you give me an example???
> I want to login to a server and put a file on it.

Check "man ftp" and look for the section discussing the ".netrc"
file.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Size of LINUX
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:44:12 -0600

Rolie Baldock wrote:

> Do you talk "Ancient Swahili" like Peter? Well I haven't a clue what
> he's talking about with the "nfs" and "mail storm". Since my LAN works
> OK as is perhaps I should forget LINUX. That is the feeling I get from
> these messages.

Well, "don't fix it if it's not broken" is generally sound
advice...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: apache access denied...problems
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:21:25 -0500

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, David. E. Goble wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:28:05 GMT, goble@gtech (David. E. Goble) wrote:
>>
>>Hi all;
>>
>>I need help. Iam running redhat 6.2. For some reason my www server
>>(apache) will not let me have access rights.
>>
>>Oh and I have just installed netatalk-1_4b2+asun2_1_4-0_i386.rpm.
>>
>Hi All;
>
>I had checked all the file permissions... etc... and just could not
>figure out what was wrong :<
>
>So what I did was rename httpd.conf to httpd.bak and
>then run rpm -Uvh --force apache*.rpm. I then edited the new
>httpd.conf gradually, restarting httpd each time, to check that it
>kept working.
>
>So now I got it working again, I still do not know what went wrong. I
>did not bother to try to compare the two files ( sic did not know how
>:>)
>
>Thanks for the many replies... :>

On the first one, did you change it with linuxconf?  Linuxconf breaks the
httpd.conf file.  Sorry I didn't think to ask before.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3
MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ivo Batistic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Netscape problems with 2.4.0 kernel ? (was Netscape 4, Mozilla errs
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:02:49 +0100

I have also problem running NS (4.76) with linux kernel 2.4.x.

What I have is that netscape freezes out after normally running one
hour or so. It becomes gray and it stay it that state all the time.
Just like network connection is down. But it is not - everything else
is OK. It is a direct internet connection.

If I switch back to 2.2.x kernel it never happens.
 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.ifs.hr/~ivo/)

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:45:58 +0100

Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

>> jayslattery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Show us your partition table.

> The output from:

> fdisk -l

(nothing)

/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda

may be safer.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: resources for running cgi
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:47:52 +0100

Wong Ching Kuen Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> some of my user run perl in apache. however, they tends to make mistake and
> infinite loop is common, and this is always fatal. how can i limit the

Well, if they die, presumably the species of users will evolve
so that people who instinctively avoid programming infinite loops
in perl are the norm. I think it's a good thing.

> reources for such thing (exec. time and memory)? thanks.

man <your shell>. If in bash, look at ulimit. If in tcsh, look at
limit.

From: Sergiy Zhenochin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake 7.2 huge /proc/bus/usb problem
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:57:16 -0800

    I just installed Mandrake 7.2 and , although I'm not using any USB
devices, it looks like it automatically allocated 600 MB space for
/proc/bus/usb . Is this space taken from the hard drive and if it is so,
can I decrease its size?
    Thanks,
        Sergiy.

------------------------------

From: "Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,comp.dcom.net-management,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Tele Traffic Tapper (TTT) or any other similar tool??
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:57:26 +0800

Hi all,
What are the tools for real-time monitoring of traffic with interval of 1
sec? I just need to know the throughput per second of an interface or a
particular port.

I need to generate graphs for the data, IF the program doesn't do that. So
logging into a text file is also great.

I have tried Tele Traffic Tapper:
http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html#ttt

HOWEVER i cannot compile the program. always have the error:

" use "--with-tcpdump=DIR" to specify  the tcpdump source directory. "

This error occurs even after i have specify the directory.

After i change to :
 ./configure --with-tcpdump=/usr/src/tcpdump/linux-include, with my tcpdump
source being inside linux-include and in tcpdump dir itself, more errors:

net_read.c: Structure has no member named uh_sport
net_read.c: Structure has no member named uh_dport

Please advise.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What is up with PPP in 2.4.1?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:50:32 -0000

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:44:22 GMT Drew Roedersheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I think the post in this NG titled: "compiled 2.4.1 and PPP doesn't work"
| will help you with your problem.  Not exactly the same question, but from
| what I gather, you need to upgrade ppp (but I didn't read all the posts,
| so you'll want to check for yourself).  Also,
| /path/to/kernel source/Documentation/Changes says something about this
| if I'm not mistaken.

Here's what it says:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| PPP
| ---
|
| The PPP driver has been restructured to support multilink and to
| enable it to operate over diverse media layers.  If you use PPP,
| upgrade pppd to at least 2.4.0b1.
|
| If you are not using devfs, you must have the device file /dev/ppp
| which can be made by:
|
| mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
|
| as root.
|
| If you build ppp support as modules, you will need the following in
| your /etc/modules.conf file:
|
| alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
| alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
| alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
| alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
| alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
| alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
| alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate
|
| If you use devfsd and build ppp support as modules, you will need
| the following in your /etc/devfsd.conf file:
|
| LOOKUP  PPP     MODLOAD

But it is not addressing my issue, which is why only one PPP device?
I need TWO PPP devices.  Going from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 the PPP support
directly in the serial port devices was removed.  The only device
with the ioctls needed is /dev/ppp.  No one else uses 2 or more PPP
interfaces?

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Texas, USA | http://phil.ipal.org/     |