From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vi Editor that shows comments in different colors
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:16:32 GMT

Alfred Schetelig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking for a vi clone that can show comments in c-programs in a
> different color.

> Anybody out there that ever heard of one? Thanks.

vim-(not terribly recent) does that.

provided your terminal is ansi, that is.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Identical logons...
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:14:24 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:29:34 +1300, Cameron Kerr
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>NIS is fine for Unix like OS's, but I don't think Windows will use it.

There was an article on LinuxWorld <http://www.linuxworld.com/> about
using NIS on NT.  This was quite a while ago, maybe a year or more.

>Use samba for this task? Although I don't think samba can yet act as a NT
>password server.

It can.  Read the stuff on NT domains in the Samba doc tree.  It is
actually pretty easy for Win9x clients.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "John Bonner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake: Can't login!
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:17:51 -0000

Mark,
Thanks for the reply.
In answer to your questions:

I get a "localhost" login prompt.

When I type "root" I see it on the screen but when I press return , it
disappears and I do not get a password prompt but am still being asked for a
login name.

I was asked for both root and a user passwords which I set.
Is there a specific requirement for mandrake passwords, i.e. set number of
characters or mixture of letters and numbers??

There are no error messages.

Hope you can help.

John Bonner.

---

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Subject: Re: Help--Program exists, but can't execute
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:22:26 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Carlen:

[Snip...]

|> bash: /usr/local/bin/eagle: No such file or directory

[Snip...]

|> When I boot up Suse Linux 6.2, then
|> mount the partition containing Suse 7.0, change dir to the
|> /s70/opt/eagle/bin directory, and run ./eagle, it executes just fine!
|>
|> Also, while running Suse 7.0 I can't run the eagle from Suse 6.2
|>
|> What is going on here making Suse 7.0 unable to run eagle and how can I
|> fix it???

My shot in the dark: This is the exact error I get when I take executables
compiled under some kernel/libcwhatever combo, and try to run them on some
other kernel/libcyetanother based distribution. For example, I like having
the console version of the 3270 SNA terminal emulator (tn3270) rather than
the X version (x3270) to use on slow dialup links. I found a version which
ran fine on an older Linux install at work, but had this same error when I
tried to run it on a much more recent distribution.

What I had to do was to recompile from source on the newer distribution.

I don't know if you can (or want to) do that...

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rudy Taraschi)
Subject: [Q] How do I boot without a keyboard connected?
Date: 23 Feb 2001 18:29:17 GMT

Hi folks,

I've got an old steam powered Olivetti M4 that I want to use as a
simple X10 home controller tucked away somewhere.  The problem is that
I don't want to have a keyboard connected, yet the BIOS has no visible
option to bypass the keyboard check.  My questions are:

1) can I jump some pins on the keyboard connector to fool the BIOS, and
   if so, which ones?

2) what if I plug a PS/2 mouse into the keyboard connector?  Will it
   fool the BIOS, and, more importantly, will something fry in trying?

Any answers or thoughts would be appreciated!  Cheers!

--
Rudy

My real email address is <rudy at see aye ee dot see aye>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: surviving in a Windows only environment?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:41:52 GMT

* Georg Schwarz wrote:
> Is there a way to survive (with Linux) in a Windows only environment?
> More precisely, the company is using W2K and Office 2K. There's heavy
> usage of Word and PowerPoint attachments as well as Outlook's calendar
> function. The only mail server is MS Exchange and does not speak POP3 or
> IMAP (AFAIK). File access is provided by Netbui over TCP/IP. There's no
> NTP server to synchronize clocks (just some proprietary Windows method).

I don't know about the filesystem problem, but AFAIK, M$ Exchange also
has the option of connecting to it via a web-browser.  At least that's
what I did the last time I had to deal with Exchange.  It provides all
the normal Outlook functionality.

Word and PowerPoint are, AFAIK, pretty usable under Star^WOpenOffice,
but Applixware's supposed to be good, too.

If you *want* to be windows-free, you can. :)

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

begin  OESUX.txt.vbs
This is not an attachment.
end

------------------------------

From: Nick Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Legal GIF File Creation Under Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:02:46 +0000

OpenMind wrote:

> Equally important, I would like the files created to be LEGAL for web
> publication under the UniSys LZW licensing requirements.  This means that
> any application or utility which creates then must have a UniSys license.

I believe that only the compression alg is licenced.  So you can create
uncompressed GIFs with apps linked against the libungif library, and that
should be OK?

png is best though.

Nick/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 23 Feb 2001 18:54:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> You make it sound like grocery stores are getting hurt by the tax.
>>> The threshold is very high, you have to be a millionaire for the
>>> tax to have *any* effect.
>>
>>Wrong.  $600,000 is where it kicks in....which is *NOTHING*
>>for a farm or a small machining shop.
>
> Umm...  The limit is higher than that for farms and small businesses.

But is based on market value of the property,  not upon earning
potential.  The Death Tax is a major cause of urban sprawl.  As
farmers die with land adjoining developed areas,  the land evaluation is
based on its value developed,  not maintained as farm land.  The heirs
are forced to sell the land to developers,  the next ring is added
to the urban area,  the interior continues to deteriorate,  ad nauseum.

I have friends who own a house next to a farm.  The have a fantastic view
out the back window.  But as soon as their elderly farmer neighbor
shuffles off,  the land will be gobbled up by developers despite the
rather significant sinkhole (caused by an underground stream) on the
property.  Maybe they'll call the new development Sinkhole Estates.

Farms and small businesses are frequently cash poor and asset rich
(even if the assets are mortgaged to the hilt).

The Miami Dolphins were once owned by the man who built them from
scratch.  The Robbies' were good owners,  they also tried to bring
Major League Soccer to the US (they owned the Minnesota Kicks).
When Joe Robbie died,  the heirs were unable to hang on to a
franchise that had grown from an investment of a few hundred thousand
dollars to one worth hundreds of millions.  And who buys it but Wayne
Huizenga,  a fatcat for whom the franchise is just another toy.
The Robbies' gave it their lifesblood,  but TS.

If Estate Taxes really did prevent hereditary wealth,  I would
favor them.  But the Rockefeller's are still rich.  The Kennedy's
are still rich.  So are the Dupont's and the Dow's and the
Carnegie's and the Mellon's.  And why?  Because they can afford to
buy the politicians to put in the loopholes,  and buy the accountants
to find the loopholes.

But,  I am not bitter.

--
Dan Mercer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mount cdrom fails
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:06:45 +0000 (UTC)

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom/ gives the error message:

mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=16:40, iso_blknum=16, block=32
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)

ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Feb 11 12:26 /dev/cdrom -> hdd
ls -l /dev/hdd
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  64 Nov 30 10:22 /dev/hdd
ls -l /cdrom
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Nov 30 10:24 cdrom

/etc/fstab has the line:
/dev/cdrom  /cdrom   iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto     0 0

I installed from the CD (a Debian 2.2r2), but now no CD will mount.
dmesg shows:
hdd: WPI CDS-32X, ATAPI CDROM drive

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:25:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Mark Bratcher wrote:

>> >[deletia]

>> >       Ethics is not infact based on "absolute" truth but acknowledging
>> >       what your standards and objectives are. It is "absolute" truth
>> >       that is scary for it is typically adhered to without any thought.
>> >

>> "Relative" truth, OTOH, isn't scarey at all. Just ask Charles Mason. :-)
>
>Manson.
>
>Of course, Sharon Tate and her party guests would disagree.

Oops, right. Sticky "n" key. :-)

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwindow
Date: 23 Feb 2001 21:12:17 +0200

amila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> actually i've tried putting in my own refresh frequencies
> and it still doesn't work
>
> it tells me the same thing, that screens were found but non were usable
> can i do anything else?

I think I've seen an unsupported display depth causing the same error,
try 32 or 16 instead of 24.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: where to set PATH?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:30:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Leonard Evens wrote:
>Mark Bratcher wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Todd Ahlstrom wrote:
>> >I am currently using Red Hat 7.0.  What file contains the PATH
>> >variables?  I need to add one for the Java Development Kit, but I can't
>> >figure out where to do it.  Also, can I put the new ones into effect
>> >without rebooting? Thank you for the help.
>> >

>> Depends upon what scope you want.
>>
>> If you want the variable set for all users who log in, then look
>> for the appropriate init file under /etc, such as /etc/profile
>> (which is where I _think_ environment variables are defined more
>> so than in /etc/bashrc).
>>
>> For a single user, use the user's .bash_profile (if you're using bash).
>>
>> --
>> Mark Bratcher
>> To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name
>> Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!
>
>I agree that normally the path would be set in .bash_profile.
>But I recently upgraded from RH5.X to RH7.0, and I noticed some
>strange behavior on that machine, which I haven't seen on others
>I've upgraded.  For example, if I login as root at run level 3,
>and then use startx, I get the expected path as set in
>.bash_profile for root in my gnome terminal windows.  But if
>instead I start in run level 5 and login at the gdm prompt, I get
>an entirely different path which omits /sbin directories and
>includes some kde directories, even though I am using the
>gnome desktop.  I tried to track down the problem, but so
>far I haven't been successful.  I assume it has something to
>do with the gdm configuration, but I'm not sure where to set
>that.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Perhaps logging in at the gdm prompt is using a different shell?
Not sure. I noticed that I get a different profile execution
when logging in, say, through ssh than with direct local login.

Although I don't have a direct answer for you, one thing I did was
put some "footprints" in all the files I could find that looked like
they _might_ get executed during a login (various . files in the
home directory and a couple of rc files in /etc) just echoing a message
indicating where it is. Then watch what happens when you login.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:38:07 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:14:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:29:34 +1300, Cameron Kerr
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>NIS is fine for Unix like OS's, but I don't think Windows will use it.
>
>There was an article on LinuxWorld <http://www.linuxworld.com/> about
>using NIS on NT.  This was quite a while ago, maybe a year or more.

Windows TechEdge carried an article in August 1999 about NISGina, the
NT MSGINA.DLL replacement. The URL for the article was...
http://www.windowstechedge.com/wte/wte-1999-08/wte-08-integration_p.html

NISGina can be found at URL
http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~williams/nisgina-current/

NISGINA provides the NT-side facilities to permit a Windows NT
workstation to authenticate a userid using NIS.

>>Use samba for this task? Although I don't think samba can yet act as a NT
>>password server.
>
>It can.  Read the stuff on NT domains in the Samba doc tree.  It is
>actually pretty easy for Win9x clients.
>
>--
> -| Bob Hauck
> -| Codem Systems, Inc.
> -| http://www.codem.com/

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: 23 Feb 2001 19:38:32 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann) writes:

>I don't know about the filesystem problem, but AFAIK, M$ Exchange also
>has the option of connecting to it via a web-browser.  At least that's
>what I did the last time I had to deal with Exchange.  It provides all
>the normal Outlook functionality.

well, there is such an interface, but it seems to require Javascript
(which excludes lynx). Also in that particular case access is only
possible via ssl (https). Unfortunately Netscape (at leadt 4.7.6; tested
on FreeBSD and on MacOS) complaines about some encryption error when
connecting to that server. I'm not sure whose fault it is.
Anyway, using a Web browser for such tasks is a kludge at best... :-(

>Word and PowerPoint are, AFAIK, pretty usable under Star^WOpenOffice,
>but Applixware's supposed to be good, too.

>If you *want* to be windows-free, you can. :)

I'm trying hard... :-)
Any assistance to accomplish that would be greatly appreciated.

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     +49 177 2437545

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:48:16 -0500
From: Doug Poulin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Is there a way to survive (with Linux) in a Windows only environment?
> More precisely, the company is using W2K and Office 2K. There's heavy
> usage of Word and PowerPoint attachments as well as Outlook's calendar
> function. The only mail server is MS Exchange and does not speak POP3 or
> IMAP (AFAIK). File access is provided by Netbui over TCP/IP. There's no
> NTP server to synchronize clocks (just some proprietary Windows method).
>
> Could Sun's StarOffice be of help here? Any other ideas?
>
> --
> Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     +49 177 2437545
YES!  You can survive!  I am the MIS administrator of my company, with
about 80 Win98 desktops using Office 2K and 3 NT Servers.

I use Star Office to read and write PowerPoint, Excel and Word, and even
the Adabas Database is VERY functional (much like Access, probably the
last good software M$ wrote).  Check out www.linuxapps.com for some
Network Neighborhood software.

Youcan do it!

Doug

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:49:00 -0500
From: Doug Poulin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Is there a way to survive (with Linux) in a Windows only environment?
> More precisely, the company is using W2K and Office 2K. There's heavy
> usage of Word and PowerPoint attachments as well as Outlook's calendar
> function. The only mail server is MS Exchange and does not speak POP3 or
> IMAP (AFAIK). File access is provided by Netbui over TCP/IP. There's no
> NTP server to synchronize clocks (just some proprietary Windows method).
>
> Could Sun's StarOffice be of help here? Any other ideas?
>
> --
> Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     +49 177 2437545
Actually, people will know you're NOT using Windoze, becuase you'll
never be callig the Helpdesk for irrational crashes!

Doug

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:47:10 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:38:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:14:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:29:34 +1300, Cameron Kerr
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>NIS is fine for Unix like OS's, but I don't think Windows will use it.
>>
>>There was an article on LinuxWorld <http://www.linuxworld.com/> about
>>using NIS on NT.  This was quite a while ago, maybe a year or more.
>
>Windows TechEdge carried an article in August 1999 about NISGina, the
>NT MSGINA.DLL replacement. The URL for the article was...
>http://www.windowstechedge.com/wte/wte-1999-08/wte-08-integration_p.html

It looks like the link is bad. However, A very similar article by the
same author was published at LinuxWorld.COM. This article is at URL
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-11/lw-11-integration.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Mandrake security fixes for 2.2.16 kernel?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:27:27 GMT

On Feb 8th I got a security upgrade notice from Redhat stating,
in part:

    Three security holes fixed in new kernel....
    Three security holes have been fixed in the kernel....
    All users are strongly recommended to upgrade.

The kernel update moves from 2.2.16 to 2.2.17.  The last kernel
that I can find for Mandrake's 7 series is 2.2.16-9mdk.

Has anyone seen upgrade from Mandrake that I might have missed?

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:56:38 -0500
From: Doug Poulin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Substitute for Microsoft Outlook?

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Is there any Linux mail client that can work with Microsoft Exchange
> mail servers?
>
> --
> Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     +49 177 2437545

This is supposed to be the Outlook killer:

http://www.helixcode.com/apps/evolution.php3

Doug