From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: SSH to RH6.2 through a firewall??
Date: 24 Feb 2001 14:27:24 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund) writes:

> Which port(s) SSH uses?

port 22 by default, though it's changeable in the config files

--
Stefano - Hodie sexto Kalendas Martias MMI est

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Print to Netware printer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:44:55 -0500

Is there a way to print from Linux to a Netware printer attached to a 4.11 file
server?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster 16 only works as root
Date: 24 Feb 2001 13:40:59 GMT

In article <977tth$h8s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric Ho wrote:
>Hi, I have just reinstalled Slackware 7.1, everything is mostly ok,
>but my sound blaster 16 card only works as root. There must be some
>simple way to fix it ..... please help guys.
>I am using 2.2.18 kernel.
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Best Regards,
>Eric Ho

This one's in the Slackware faq. chmod 666 the /dev/dsp and the /dev/mixer

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: "Justin R. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4.2 kernel panics on boot
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:59:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "D. Stimits"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Justin R. Smith" wrote:
>>
>> This may be a dumb question, but
>>
>> I've compiled 2.4.2 without problems. On boot, I get the messages:
>>
>> 1. No socket drivers installed
>> (presumably, I forgot to answer Yes to some one of the hundreds of
>> questions in the configure step, but which one?)
>>
>> 2. no boot device specified. Cannot boot on 1601 or 16:01. panic
>>
>> I do specify a boot device in the lilo.config file, namely /dev/hdc1,
>> so what gives?
>> (Is this related to the previous problem?)
>>
>> Thank you!
>
> Did you really use lilo.config? The correct file is /etc/lilo.conf. Then
> you have to run lilo after the edit. And sometimes I think a BIOS can't
> see more than the first two devices for IDE, and hdc is the third
> device...possibly that could be the problem.

i used lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=dos

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdc1

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22enterprise
        label=linux-old
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdc1

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

and I ran lilo before trying to boot.

Thanks for responding to my query.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to print man pages in good quality
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:06:19 -0500

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> By any chance are these particular man pages pre-formatted
> instead of coming in [nt]roff source?

They look preformatted to me; at least the "vacation" one does.
Perhaps the other ones that come out lousy are preformatted as well.
I wish they would not do that. The man command has no trouble with
them when it uses my "less" to put them on the screen. But if I do
man vacation | col -b | lpr, it is not quite good enough because it
thinks my printer has 66 lines per page, and it is less than that,
so the headers and footers are all in the wrong place. (I know I can
change that for non pre-formatted pages.)

[snip]

> There are several things to look at here, because there is a
> long chain of events which leads to a man page being displayed
> or printed, and problems at different points result in different
> behavior.
>
> First, man pages can be (rarely) in pre-formatted form, but they
> are usually source code for the formatter.  They can also be
> compressed or uncompressed.  The man command will figure out
> either of the above, and properly display the results to the
> screen.  (The "pre-formatted" version is probably formatted for
> screen presentation, and it may look relatively ugly no matter
> how it is massaged before printing.  Of course if your version
> of "screen" isn't what it was pre-formatted for, it may look
> ugly there too!)
>
> If the man page is not source code, the -t option to man will
> not produce a useful output file.  (And that appears to be the
> problem described above, though I don't have that man page and
> cannot verify that to be the cause.)
>
>      FACT:  Pre-formatted man pages are evil.

I agree. They are probably trying to save me some CPU time, but
since I have a dual 550MHz Pentium-III machine, I would rather take
a bit more time and have it come out right.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Feb 2001 14:07:01 GMT

Thanks Kevin.

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:27:36 -0500

Arctic Storm wrote:

> MS Windows XP vs Linux
> Microsoft's new Windows XP is touted as the easiest Windows ever, and is
> expected to unify Windows OS's.  MS developed XP by getting feedbacks from
> average users and computer neophytes, to become easy/intuitive enough for
> your Grandmother to use.

I suppose they did. If I needed some product or service, though, I
am not sure I would always want it developed this way. If I needed
brain surgury done, for example, I would not want my physician to
interview brain neophytes to see how he should do it, or  simplify
the procedure so that my grandmother could do it. Sometimes you need
competance and good design. Not usually the result of an election,
the use of focus groups, or the like.

When Dijkstra dedigned the THE operating system, highly reguarded at
the time, he said they did not have the time or resources for a big
team of designers or developers. So he had to use a very few very
good programmers to do the whole thing. The result was a reliable
product because it had the integrety that results when it is not
designed by committee. Remember, a camel is a horse designed by a
committee.

> Linux/GNU caters to people who have a reasonable background in computers, if
> not experts.  This is why Linux/GNU is not as prevalent as MS Windows.
> Listening to feedbacks from computer experts for improvements is important,
> but expending efforts into designing a system that can be easily used by
> "non-computer" public is just as important.

The easier Microsoft has made it for neophytes to use computers, the
more difficult it has been for me to get any work done with their
products. DOS was at least 15 years obsolete the day it came out.
Windows 2.something that I tried to use was hopeless, but I managed
to program a few simple applications in it, using their API. When I
got Windows 95, it was barely useable. I never got Access to work
right (I could not set up foreign keys, even though my schema would
have been correct had they let me point and click it in), and I
could not setup good IPC between cooperating sequential processes
with their Visual C++ pointy-clicky thing.

Furthermore, their stuff was too unreliable to run. I was used to
running on UNIX machines that would stay up 24/7 for years at a
time. Getting the Blue Screen Of Death three times per week, with
lots of other bizarre crashes a day were just plain infuriating.
Twice I took my machine in to see if it were having hardware
problems. Twice, my fixit team tested the machine 24/7 for a week
using non-Microsoft test software, and checking power supplies,
etc., for off-voltage and spike problems without success. Installing
Red Hat Linux 5.0 (back then) cured all this.

So I will never know if Windows 98, NT 3.5, NT 4, NT 5 (by whatever
name), Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows Who The Hell Cares What,
will be better, since you will never get me to pay another penny to
them. In fact, if someone sent me a CD-ROM for their products, with
a valid license for me, I would toss it into the recycling bin.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:10am up 3 days, 16:44, 3 users, load average: 2.10, 2.10,
2.12

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 24 Feb 2001 07:29:09 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Umm...  The limit is higher than that for farms and small businesses.
> >

> But is based on market value of the property,  not upon earning
> potential.  The Death Tax is a major cause of urban sprawl.  As
> farmers die with land adjoining developed areas,  the land evaluation is
> based on its value developed,  not maintained as farm land.  The heirs
> are forced to sell the land to developers,  the next ring is added
> to the urban area,  the interior continues to deteriorate,  ad nauseum.

Agreed, but the death tax is a symptom, not a soluiton.  Americans
seem to be facinated with large cities, but they do not want to live
in them.  They love the museums, night clubs, amusement parks, and
clone-some-food chains (ie, Texas Roadhouse(tm), Outback(tm), The
Olive Garden(tm), etc.).  The result is urban sprawl; the net
combination of the perfect assortment of convenient shopping without
having to live in the place that fuels it all.

Eliminating the death tax may have some impact on it, but I doubt it
will be significant.  There used to be stawberry and orange fields
right next to Disneyland in Anaheim, but now they have strip malls
with liquour stores and Little Ceasars pizza instead.  Would a ban on
the death tax prevented it?  I doubt it.

I'm from LA originally; I moved to Idaho and love it here -- it makes
me sick every time I hear people complaining about wanting the
shopping that is available in larger cities.  Down that path leads
homogenization of communities and urban sprawl.

> I have friends who own a house next to a farm.  The have a fantastic view
> out the back window.  But as soon as their elderly farmer neighbor
> shuffles off,  the land will be gobbled up by developers despite the
> rather significant sinkhole (caused by an underground stream) on the
> property.  Maybe they'll call the new development Sinkhole Estates.

What was the property that your friend's house was built on?  Was
there not someone else who had a spectacular view before they so
rudely moved in?  The desire to live in a cute suburb is a huge part
of the problem.

> Farms and small businesses are frequently cash poor and asset rich
> (even if the assets are mortgaged to the hilt).
>
> The Miami Dolphins were once owned by the man who built them from
> scratch.  The Robbies' were good owners,  they also tried to bring
> Major League Soccer to the US (they owned the Minnesota Kicks).
> When Joe Robbie died,  the heirs were unable to hang on to a
> franchise that had grown from an investment of a few hundred thousand
> dollars to one worth hundreds of millions.  And who buys it but Wayne
> Huizenga,  a fatcat for whom the franchise is just another toy.
> The Robbies' gave it their lifesblood,  but TS.

And on the other side of the coin we have the Rockerfeller's and the
Kennedy's who just grow on the remains of the previous generations.
They know how to play tax-shelter games such that they don't need to
worry about the estate taxes.  If the death tax isn't taken away, all
the loopholes should be revoked such that everyone has to live by the
same rules (even Teddy Kennedy).

> If Estate Taxes really did prevent hereditary wealth,  I would
> favor them.  But the Rockefeller's are still rich.  The Kennedy's
> are still rich.  So are the Dupont's and the Dow's and the
> Carnegie's and the Mellon's.  And why?  Because they can afford to
> buy the politicians to put in the loopholes,  and buy the accountants
> to find the loopholes.
>
> But,  I am not bitter.

Amen.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where's the physical address of any kernel source code?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:34:19 -0500

gu weining wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> I do need to know.

Do you mean you need to know the physical address of your disk
controller (IDE or SCSI)? Or do you mean you need to know the
cylinder, track, and sector number of the first block of one of the
kernel source code? Or what?'

Or do you not mean SOURCE at all. Do you want to know where the
executable object code is? Mine is in
/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-VA.2.1smp, but yours is likely to be different.

Or do you mean where the actual executing code in RAM is to be
found? If so, it is in /proc/kcore, but you better not monkey with
that unless you know a whole lot more than you do (because if you
knew enough, you would never have asked this question).

Or do you mean the location in RAM in absolute address space?

I cannot imagine any reason to need to know any of these things
unless you are trying to crack someone's machine.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:30am up 3 days, 17:04, 3 users, load average: 2.01, 2.02,
2.05

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where's the physical address of kernel function after linked...
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:44:11 -0500

gu weining wrote:

> I mean I need to find the physical address of some function,
> say rt6_lookup() of /usr/src/linux/net/route.c, after it is compiled
> and linked to the memory. My work forces me to do this.
> I copied my previous mail as follows. Need help.

You might look at /boot/System.map for the functions in there. I
looked for rt6_ there and did not find anything. Perhaps that is a
function in an API that has a different name in the kernel. locate
rt6_ finds nothing on my entire machine.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:35am up 3 days, 17:09, 3 users, load average: 2.06, 2.04,
2.04