  Re: Web page publishing (Brian Goodyear)

From: Jan Francsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:13:12 +0100

Hello!

I think, you need some kind of database.
Read about sql and relational Databases.
As a server you can use a Linux box with mysql.

On the client side, you can create
- software in C with qt2 lib's for graphical GUI
- html with java or php to make the Database accesable in any Browser.
  In that case you will need the Apache www server on your server.

For system-service use SSH, Telnet and webmin, a verry nice www
(intranet) aplication.

I hope, this helps.

greatings, Jan

------------------------------

From: "Celestino Martinez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:25:26 GMT

Linux users:

I need to configure my Linux as a VT100 terminal emulator connected by
serial line to a UNIX system. I do not know how to do this.

Thanks.

Celestino Matinez.

From: Chris Carlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Broken ldd on Suse 7.0 -- How to fix this?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:22:11 -0800

Hi:

Can anyone help me get my eagle program running on Suse 7.0?  Eagle is a
printed circuit CAD program from www.cadsoft.de.  It runs fine on Suse
6.2 and an old Slackware system.  This post contains a detailed account
of the current status of this problem.

The program is installed identically on a Suse 6.2 partition and a Suse
7.0 partition.  It's path is /opt/eagle/bin/eagle .  I can execute it
fine in 6.2 but can't execute it in 7.0 .

Running 7.0, here the shell(?) tells us the program doesn't exist:

~ $ /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
bash: /opt/eagle/bin/eagle: No such file or directory

But we see very clearly it does exist and it is an ELF executable with
correct permissions:

~ $ ls -l /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      3924300 May 30  1999
/opt/eagle/bin/eagle

~ $ file /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
/opt/eagle/bin/eagle: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

But when we look at what libs it uses we find a problem again:

~ $ ldd /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
/usr/bin/ldd: /opt/eagle/bin/eagle: No such file or directory

The same command executed on the eagle executable in my Suse 6.2
partition (running 6.2) shows a list of libs.  The fact that ldd doesn't
work on the eagle in 7.0 shows 7.0 linking/lib database system is
broken.

So I took the list of libs I know eagle needs from the 6.2 system, then
grepped the 7.0 system ld.so.cache for these libs.  The results are
shown below.  The libs are all on the Suse 7.0 system.  So the problem
is not that libs are missing.  The problem is also not that the 7.0
system doesn't have the libs in its daatbase.  It does have them!  The
problem is that something is wrong with the 7.0 linking program.  I
think.  Unless someone knows better what is wrong here, and perhaps how
to fix it.

It took me a long time to find the clue of the broken ldd result, and
that it is different from the result on the 6.2 system.  The shell's
error message is not very informative, as it hides the fact that the
linker is the one who is complaining.

Results of searching the 7.0 system for libs needed by eagle:

~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libXt.so.6
        libXt.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
        libXt.so.6 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXt.so.6
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libXext.so.6
        libXext.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
        libXext.so.6 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXext.so.6
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libX11.so.6
        libX11.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
        libX11.so.6 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libX11.so.6
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libstdc++.so.27
        libstdc++.so.27 (libc5) =>
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libstdc++.so.27
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libm.so.5
        libm.so.5 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libm.so.5
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libc.so.5
        libc.so.5 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libc.so.5
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libSM.so.6
        libSM.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6
        libSM.so.6 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libSM.so.6
~ $ /sbin/ldconfig -p|grep libICE.so.6
        libICE.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6
        libICE.so.6 (libc5) => /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libICE.so.6

As you can see, all the libs are found in the 7.0 system database.

Thank you for comments.

--
PLEASE REPLY TO THE NEWSGROUP OR REMOVE BOGUS FIELD FROM EMAIL
ADDRESS!!!

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie ipchains problem.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:04:16 -0500

I probably just do not understand ipchains sufficiently well, but
they have surprised me unpleasantly.

I run 2.2.14 type kernel (actually, 2.2.14-VA.2.1smp from VA Linux
Systems; it is a dialect of Red Hat 6.2 that they call 6.2.3).

What I am attempting to do is protect myself against IP Spoofing.

There is a Linux IPCHAINS-HOWTO that discusses this in section 5.7,
which says, in part:

The best way to protect from IP spoofing is called Source Address
Verification, and it is done by the routing
code, and not firewalling at all. Look for a file called
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter. If this
exists, then turning on Source Address Verification at every boot is
the right solution for you. To do that, insert
the following lines somewhere in your init scripts, before any
network interfaces are initialized:

     # This is the best method: turn on Source Address Verification
and get
     # spoof protection on all current and future interfaces.
     if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter ]; then
       echo -n "Setting up IP spoofing protection..."
       for f in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter; do
           echo 1 > $f
       done
       echo "done."
     else
       echo PROBLEMS SETTING UP IP SPOOFING PROTECTION.  BE WORRIED.
       echo "CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and continue system
startup."
       echo
       # Start a single user shell on the console
       /sbin/sulogin $CONSOLE
     fi

Now the trouble with this is that if I do this at boot time, ppp0
(from which I assume most of the attacks will come) is not up, so it
will not be detected in the lines that go:

       for f in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter; do
           echo 1 > $f
       done

Now perhaps I could stick this stuff in ip-up somewhere, but I am
nervous about diddling with those files because of unpleasant
side-effects in the past, and I do not know if it would be too late
to do something like that anyway.

Instead, I tried following the alternative approach also in section
5.7:

If you cannot do this, you can manually insert rules to protect
every interface. This requires knowledge of each
interface. The 2.1 kernels automatically reject packets claiming to
come from the 127.* addresses (reserved for
the local loopback interface, lo).

For example, say we have three interfaces, eth0, eth1 and ppp0. We
can use ifconfig to tell us the address and netmask of the
interfaces. Say eth0 was attached to a network 192.168.1.0 with
netmask 255.255.255.0, eth1 was attached to a network 10.0.0.0 with
netmask 255.0.0.0, and ppp0 connected to the Internet (where any
address except the reserved private IP addresses are allowed), we
would insert the
following rules:

     # ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s ! 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j
DENY
     # ipchains -A input -i ! eth0 -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j
DENY
     # ipchains -A input -i eth1 -s ! 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 -j DENY
     # ipchains -A input -i ! eth1 -s 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 -j DENY

When I do this (I left out the 3rd and 4th lines, since I have no
eth1), I cannot tell if I am getting protection or not, but the
system does not work well, though it does work. For example, I can
establish an ssh session with my other machine on the 192.168.1
network (on eth0). Furthermore, I can telnet into my sendmail on
this machine from this machine by doing:

telnet localhost 25

But then I cannot run xmutt. It starts the process, but it cannot
get itself a window. Later, the X Window system locked up completely
and I had to go to my other machine and ssh into this one, do init
3, kill off the X Window System, and do an init 5 to get back.

I did an /sbin/ipchains-save > ipchains.new

and got:

valinux:jdbeyer[~/IPCHAINS]$ cat ipchains.new
:input ACCEPT
:forward ACCEPT
:output ACCEPT
-A input -s ! 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -i eth0
-j DENY
-A input -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -i ! eth0
-j DENY
valinux:jdbeyer[~/IPCHAINS]$

It seems to me that doing the above did not affect localhost
(127.0.0.1), so this confuses me. My interpretation of the first
ipchains line says that:

if something comes in on eth0 and does not have a source address of
192.168.1.something, it is denied (though otherwise accepted).

Likewise, my interpretation of the second ipchains line says that:

if something comes in on any other interface (i.e., lo, ppp0), it
better not have source addresses 192.168.1.something.

Could someone point out what I have overlooked? (I assume I am
setting something up incorrectly and not that there is a software
bug.)

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:26:28 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware

Good answer, would like to add....

Jan Francsi wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I think, you need some kind of database.
> Read about sql and relational Databases.
> As a server you can use a Linux box with mysql.

There is also postgresql and msql....personally I use postgresql, but
msql might be better if its a small and simple database.

> On the client side, you can create
> - software in C with qt2 lib's for graphical GUI

You can use any interface library here...in fact there is gnome-db if you
can get it to work (I couldn't but YMMV) that offers some abstraction
with SQL databases....glade is supposed to have gnome-db soon (maybe
already).

> - html with java or php to make the Database accesable in any Browser.
>   In that case you will need the Apache www server on your server.

Personally I would rate PHP over Java.

> For system-service use SSH, Telnet and webmin, a verry nice www
> (intranet) aplication.

Use SSH, not telnet ... only use telnet if you don't mind passwords being
sent in the clear :P

Also if your going to tie in Win2k (yuck!) then look into LDAP......you
might find it useful.

------------------------------

From: Chris Carlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Broken ldd on Suse 7.0 -- How to fix this?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:20:50 -0800

The error messages indicated in my previous post and the efforts to
resolve them were very puzzling, sending me on a wild goose chase.  The
cause of the problem was that I satisfied lib deps for eagle when
installing the software by installing the package shlibs5 from a Suse
6.2 onto the Suse 7.0 distro.  Since no error messages ever occured
indicating that libraries were missing, I didn't suspect anything was
wrong with the shlibs5.  In fact, I verified by hand that every lib
eagle wants was indeed present and in the ld.so.cache on Suse 7.0.

So why didn't eagle work???

The reason is that the Suse 7.0 linker/ldd programs don't recognize the
libc5 stuff.  The shlibs5 package from Suse 7.0 contains special stubs
for ldd and an additional ldd-libc5 binary that make it all work.
Installing the shlibs5 from 6.2 onto 7.0 was a recipe for extreme
confusion.

Major oops--but I'm happy as hell that I can run my program now!

From: Chris Carlen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help--Program exists, but can't execute--FIXED
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:20:58 -0800

Chris Carlen wrote:
> 2.  The eagle program is installed in /opt/eagle/bin:
>
> ~ $ ls -l /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      3924300 May 30  1999
> /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
>
> 3.  Trying to run the program using the direct path also fails:
>
> ~ $ /opt/eagle/bin/eagle
> bash: /opt/eagle/bin/eagle: No such file or directory

The error messages above were very puzzling, sending me on a wild goose

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:36:59 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Routing.....Arrrggggh...Help!!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Adam Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've done that, but it doesn't work........
> > I just can't get my routing tables to look anywhere near the same.
>
> What does "netstat -rn" show?
>
> This works between to ethernet cards on @home, it was similar, but
> with ppp0 instead of eth1 when I was using dialup.
>
> jbuchana@grimalkin$ netstat -rn
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
> 24.22.216.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth1
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         24.22.216.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth1
> jbuchana@grimalkin$

And the clients must have the IP of the linux router as the GW for the default
route

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:12:57 GMT

"Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>MS Windows XP vs Linux Microsoft's new Windows XP is touted as the
>easiest Windows ever, and is expected to unify Windows OS's.

MS has been talking about Grand Unification since they rolled out Win95.
As for easiest to use, Apple's MacOS is still simpler.

>Linux/GNU caters to people who have a reasonable background in
>computers, if not experts.  This is why Linux/GNU is not as prevalent
>as MS Windows.

And all the time I thought it wasn't as prevalent because there were a
few million Windows licensees before the 1.0 kernel arrived, and there
were tens of millions of Win95 licenses (not to mention one shipped with
each new PC sold whether you wanted it or not before the Great Trial)
before KDE or Gnome appeared.

Microsoft's much earlier start in the end-user arena counts for nothing
in measuring relative progress?

>Listening to feedbacks from computer experts for improvements is
>important, but expending efforts into designing a system that can be
>easily used by "non-computer" public is just as important.

True in theory. However, free software will be written by people who
know how to program and who write software they themselves wouldn't mind
using. That's likely to lead to software that's differs from commercial
software. Also, MS has claimed to be driven by user needs for years. If
the animated paperclip is an example of what the non-computer person
needs, then please include me out.

In closing, Office is arguably MS's most popular product. I'm most
familiar with Excel in its offerings. In MS's haste to cater to
unsophisticated users, the Excel developers have coded into stone a few
dozen gross errors in the statistical functions. These have been around
for almost 10 years with many, and many sophisticated users have
complained for a long time. MS hasn't fixed these 'bugs' and likely
never will because they're not important to 'your grandmother'. In other
words, MS is very happy to cater to the most unsophisticated users
around because they'll recognize the fewest errors.

Microsoft thrives on the 'ignorance is bliss' of their target customers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: 24 Feb 2001 20:15:31 GMT

In article <01c09e8e$ac5e9c00$03b42a3e@default>,
Celestino Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I need to configure my Linux as a VT100 terminal emulator connected by
: serial line to a UNIX system. I do not know how to do this.
:
In Linux and other forms of UNIX, terminal emulation is separate from
communication.  Terminal emulation is supplied by the Linux console driver
or X window (xterm or xfree86).  Communications and dialing and file
transfer, etc, by C-Kermit:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

- Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:43:49 GMT

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:40:48 GMT, peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there any "open source" software that can help me with the
> inventory and tracking ?  or

You will probably want to use a real database rather than inventing some
file format of your own.  The best-known open databases are MySQL and
PostreSQL.

> Would I have to write a program from scratch or could I modify some
> existing software ? or

My suggestion would be to design a database schema that is suitable for
your project.  Set up the database back end.  Then build a web-based
front end using PHP that handles the UI and business rules.  If the
customer already has a database for other functions that you'd like to
use, it is likely that PHP has a driver for it.

The reason I'd do it this way is that it is generally faster to design
form-based UI's with html plus some scripting than it is to write a
custom client program.  Plus, it is easier to update because you don't
need to go around to all the client machines (I'm presuming that the
customer already has some Windows clients) and install software.

The web-based approach does have limitations though, so you need to
think through what functions your sofware will need.

> Would it make more sense to just buy the software (for linux) ?

That would be an alternative.  There are a number of full-featured
business accounting packages for Linux, some of them include job
tracking and inventory modules.  The one I've used a bit in the past is
AppGen.

Here's a web site with some pointers:
<http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/financeproprietary.html>

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

From: Brian Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web page publishing
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:57:45 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I use brain and Netscape.
>
> Also, to uploaded I use rsync via ssh.

Yes, I realize that there are ways to cobble together something but I would
like something more along the lines of Front Page.

Brian ([EMAIL PROTECTED])