From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:10:55 GMT

In article <MfWl6.1201$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <9794p3$las$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Frank da Cruz wrote:
: >In article <01c09e8e$ac5e9c00$03b42a3e@default>,
: >Celestino Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >: I need to configure my Linux as a VT100 terminal emulator connected by
: >: serial line to a UNIX system. I do not know how to do this.
: >
: >In Linux and other forms of UNIX, terminal emulation is
: >separate from communication.  Terminal emulation is supplied by
: >the Linux console driver or X window (xterm or xfree86).
: >Communications and dialing and file transfer, etc, by C-Kermit:
: >
: >  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html
:
: My vote is also for ckermit.  It used to be included in most
: Linux distrobutions, but about 5-6 years ago they stopped due
: to some licensing issues (either real or imagined, I don't know).
:
But then a year ago, for version 7.0, the license was amended to
allow inclusion with all free operating system, including Linux,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD:

  ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/f/COPYING.TXT

Version 7.0 is included with some Linux distributions, but not
usually in the base system; often in it's the "power tools"
area or somesuch.  Getting into the base system requires some
pressure from users.

- Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: hdparm for old CDrom?
Date: 24 Feb 2001 23:59:24 GMT

the man page says hdparm is for hard drives, not CDrom. I wanted to use a
utility for the CD, it's full of mp3's's but the light flashes every few
seconds and the sound skips! There are better portable CD players out
there! Any suggestions?

(BTW heh heh heh it's a non IDE CDrom player; I use sbpcd as a loadable
module)

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Tom Waterhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.misc
Subject: Re: Does JDK 1.3 work with kernel 2.4?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:18:40 GMT

I downloaded JDK 1.3 from IBM and it worked nicely.  Still can't get the
Sun version to work.

By the way, the IBM JDK seems to be superior to the Sun version on Windows
2000.  Perhaps the same can be said for Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:27:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards) writes:
> In article <9794p3$las$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Frank da Cruz wrote:
> >In article <01c09e8e$ac5e9c00$03b42a3e@default>,
> >Celestino Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >: I need to configure my Linux as a VT100 terminal emulator connected by
> >: serial line to a UNIX system. I do not know how to do this.
> >
> >In Linux and other forms of UNIX, terminal emulation is
> >separate from communication.  Terminal emulation is supplied by
> >the Linux console driver or X window (xterm or xfree86).
> >Communications and dialing and file transfer, etc, by C-Kermit:
> >
> >  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

> My vote is also for ckermit.  It used to be included in most Linux
> distrobutions, but about 5-6 years ago they stopped due to some
> licensing issues (either real or imagined, I don't know).

The licensing issue was real enough; essentially the license indicated
that you could not redistribute Kermit in any commercial manner
without including the printed documentation.

That might have further mandated "the printed documentation _from
Columbia University Press_.  I'll make the moderately outrageous claim
that that was the case, and I'm sure one of the authors will correct
whatever is false about that statement.  :-).

At any rate, with the inclusion of printed documentation being
mandatory, in _whatever_ form, this effectively prohibited the
inclusion of CKermit with any Linux distribution that didn't come with
so much paper that a 200 page Kermit User Guide would be a small part
of it.  :-(

The Columbia University folk put forward two good "excuses" for this:
 -> Selling books was their way of funding ongoing development of Kermit;
 -> Having documentation with it would definitely diminish their need to
    spend their time answering "dumb questions."

However good you may consider the excuses to be, the licensing made
Kermit disappear from view _very_ effectively.  Which was extremely
unfortunate, as there were considerable improvements to Kermit in the
mid-90's that _should_ have made it vastly more popular.

In the '80s, it had the severe problem of providing vastly slower file
transfer speeds than were offered by Z-Modem.  This was offset by the
fact that it could run literally _anywhere_, including VMS, MVS,
VM/CMS, and all sorts of bizarre platforms.

But when interest in VMS and MVS waned with the "Windows Onslaught,"
and when it couldn't effectively be a part of Linux distributions, the
ongoing improvements to protocols, scripting, and such became
invisible to the world.  And with TCP/IP being the "One True
Protocol," that provides the universal "data protocol glue" that used
to only be filled by Kermit.

The release of the GPLed "gkermit" is a nice thing, but it seems to me
that it's a bit too little, and VASTLY FAR too late...  Though I have
no problem with you commending it as a useful possible option...

> OTOH, there's also minicom (curses) and Seyon (X).  I can't ever get
> either of them to do anything very useful, but other people seem to
> use them.

I've always found minicom pretty useful; essentially a "Unix version
of Telix," for those that remember the IBM BBS days...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: parport irq and dma
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:27:42 GMT

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:41:14 +1300, L Brookes staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I am running kernel 2.4.2 and have 2 parports, parport0 is onboard and
>parport1 is an ISA card.
>
>On boot I get this:-
>Feb 24 17:17:44 localhost kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).
>Feb 24 17:17:44 localhost kernel: lp0: console ready
>Feb 24 17:17:44 localhost kernel: lp1: using parport1 (polling).
>How do I get these ports to use interrupts?

tunelp /dev/lp0 -T on
tunelp /dev/lp1 -T on
(Put these in /sbin/init.d/boot.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local )

>Also how do I get dma working? The BIOS reports that parport0 is set to
>use dma 3.

This should be automagic, but a quick grep through the parport_pc source
in 2.2.18 shows... confusing results.  " if(p->dma == PARPORT_DMA_AUTO)
p->dma = PARPORT_DMA_NONE; " for example.  Only ECP requires a DMA
channel, and EPP is almost as fast.  Hmm, any parport kernel hackers
around want to explain what's up here?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:27:30 GMT

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Bob Hauck wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:40:48 GMT, peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any "open source" software that can help me with the
> > > inventory and tracking ?  or
> >
> > You will probably want to use a real database rather than inventing some
> > file format of your own.  The best-known open databases are MySQL and
> > PostreSQL.

> Hands down no competition, PostgreSQL. Neither MySQL nor msql are up
> to the task. A factory environment would require transactional
> processing.

I would concur on PostgreSQL being preferable to the "M guys."

I would also urge looking up:

a) InterBase, which is now available in "open source" form, and

b) SAPdb, which seems to be on schedule to be available in "open
   source" form by summer of this year.  It used to be the fairly
   well-known commercial RDBMS "Adabas-D."

Both of those have been used for commercial systems for quite a while
now, and haven't any of the "research DB hacked into an SQL DB" stigma
that may be attached to PostgreSQL.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:00:27 +0000

> Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
>
> What I'm trying to do, is design a factory inventory system.  To keep
> cost down I want to use Linux.  The model I'm using, is a furniture
> factory.  I want to design a system that will allow  the factory to keep
> track of their "work in progress" and finished goods.  I'm guessing that
>  this will be a little more complicated than your average inventory
> system?
>
> Of course the workers would have to access the system to enter data,
> etc, so the user interfaces can't be too complicated (GUI?).

Don't use a GUI. Mice need more space to operate and its one more thing
to go wrong. I don't mean use a CLI, use a text based visual interface.
Seriously, all the places such as shops, leisure centres and warehouses
I've seen use these systems. Generally operated by the arrow keys.

> HARDWARE
>
> This is an easy (well easier) one for me, first I would make sure the
> hardware (I'm buying) is linux compatible. I would go out and buy B/W
> 9" monitors, those cool small cases (with the 810e chipset, if the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even more reason to use 80x25 text mode.

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wilhelm Wienemann)
Subject: Re: AOL + Linux
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:47:54 +0100

Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> informed
comp.os.linux.misc with the following:
>  My ISP (T-Online, Germany) will stop its flatrate. My contract
>  will end in about 3 months. As far as I know, AOL is the only one
>  which is left offering a flatrate for ISDN in Germany. This is
>  the reason why I think about switching to AOL.
>
>  Does AOL work well with Linux? (I have Mandrake 7.2)
>  Any experiences?

Maybe you will give the following package a try:

#
# Zugang zu AOL für Linux:
# ------------------------
http://www.lfi.uni-hannover.de/~czietz/storage/aol-0.5.tar.gz

Sorry, but I don't know which kind of transfer-protocol it will
allow to use.

Have a nice weekend!

bye - Wilhelm

--
(°> Wilhelm Wienemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  -°)  -°)
//\ Grüße vom NiederRhein, der Region mit R(h)einKultur /\\   /\\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wilhelm Wienemann)
Subject: Re: Vi Editor that shows comments in different colors
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:57:20 +0100

Alfred Schetelig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> informed
comp.os.linux.misc with the following:
>  I am looking for a vi clone that can show comments in c-programs
>  in a different color.
>
>  Anybody out there that ever heard of one?

Look at my X-Editor-Header. :-)

VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0v ALPHA (2001 Feb 11) http://www.vim.org/

This Editor will do what you want. For examples have a look at:

http://www.zellner.org/vim/
http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~mwra/vim/index.html
http://users.erols.com/astronaut/vim/#Cfun
http://jeanluc-picard.de/vim/highlightning2/
http://www.moolenaar.net/vim.html

bye - Wilhelm

--
Of course vim is God's editor.
If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting for it to load on the seventh day.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 25 Feb 2001 01:17:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?

The canonical solution for this type of application is called "LAMP"
(Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP).  You write simple HTML interfaces in
PHP with scripting code to interact with the database.  Any Web
browser (on Linux or Win) can act as the client.

However, I agree with those who've pointed out that PostgreSQL is a
more powerful database engine and may be more suited for an inventory
and tracking application as opposed to MySQL.

These tools are fairly easy to learn.

Simple reporting can be done using PHP's ability to generate graphics
and PDFs on the fly.  You'll need to make sure these options are
compiled in, and you'll need some readily and freely available
libraries in order to do that.

Depending on the size and importance of the application, you also may
want to investigate learning some of the technologies for building
n-tier applications.  These would include application server
environments such as Enhydra, Zope, or Zend (based on Java, Python,
and PHP respectively).  They are harder to learn than a simple HTML
scripting environment, but can be used to build more powerful,
scalable and robust apps as well.

The reason I don't necessarily recommend a prepackaged application is
that those invariably need to be customized to your needs anyway,
which is expensive, and those types of systems may be less flexible as
your needs grow and change than would be a system designed and built
to your own specifications.

Joe

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:35:19 GMT

Frank da Cruz writes:
> But then a year ago, for version 7.0, the [kermit] license was amended to
> allow inclusion with all free operating system, including Linux, FreeBSD,
> NetBSD, and OpenBSD:

But it still isn't free software.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Okechukwu Iwu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best distro for old PC?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:30:10 -0000

DeAnn wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:25:57 -0000, "Rob Chambers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking of building a system to play with out of some old parts.
> >It's likely to be a 33MHz 486DX with 4 or 8 Mb RAM, 250 Mb HD (80 + 170)
> >and no CD-ROM. I've been recommended muLinux, are there any other good
> >distros for such a machine? I'm not bothered about running X on such a
> >machine if it's not really feasible.
> >

>           Debian and Slackware both have a basic floppy install
> available that runs about 10-20 MB, respectively.  Both have the disk
> images available on the cdrom; these can be copied to floppies on
> another machine using either dd in linux or rawrite in DosWin.
>          Modern kernels are ~ 5MB, so you will have to go to a
> specialty distribution if you have only 4 MB system RAM.  With 8MB,
> you should do ok.

Are you sure about the last bit? This is snipped from the "dmesg" output on
my newer "box":

Linux version 2.2.13-4mdk ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
2.95.1 19990816 (release)) #1 Tue Sep 7 18:23:11 CEST 1999

Memory: 63096k/65472k available (1008k kernel code, 416k reserved, 892k
data, 60k init)

This is the generic out-of-the-box kernel, so you know it's likely bloated
with extra features I don't use.

Anyhow, I've got a 386(40MHz)as well, with 8MB RAM, 405MB hard drive
running RedHat 5.1 comfortably. I actually used to use X on it, but it was
a bit slow.[oh yeah, monochrome monitor with Hercules graphic card :-)]

I don't think the exact distro is of immense importance, as long as you are
allowed to control what you will and won't install. That said, you can
start off with eg SmallLinux or probably ZipSlack (don't know much about
it) and add stuff as needed. HTH :).

From: "Martin Kai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LPI Certification Resource Website
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:49:57 -0800

You are invited to participate and build a free LPI (Linux Professional
Institute) Certification website.  See www.lpicert.com

Cheers!
LPICert Team.

For more information about LPI Certification see www.lpi.org

------------------------------

Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:11:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher) writes:

> Certainly true, but Linux is gaining in the server market and MicroSoft is
> nervous about it. That's why they publicly claim they aren't worried, but
> at the same time they want to lobby lawmakers to make open source products
> basically illegal.

while MS might want to make GPL illegal, i don't that's quite what
they were saying.  i think their statement was aimed toward government
software procurement.  the government has a long tradition of 1)
requiring multiple vendors (remember POSIX requirements?) and 2)
releasing software developed on its own coin to the public (for
example EISPACK).  MS has carved out an exception to the usual rules
because its office suite (and hence OS) have been so dominant.

now that GNU/Linux is becoming a viable alternative to windows, MS is
scared that the government might actually like the GPL and start
requiring governemnt funded software be released under such a
license.  as i see it, this is the MS nightmare.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:11:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
peter  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?

Yes, Linux could be used as the base platform.  But be very careful of
what you are getting into here - at this point I think you have a
simplistic view..  A database, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, is
barely the starting point.  Even an "inventory control system" only
touches the surface of what you have to do.

In a manufacturing and production environment you should be familiar
with terms such as bills of material, routing, revision control,
supersession maintenance, material/labor tracking, serial/lot
assignment, material reserve/issue, picking lists, workcenter gates and
backflushing, cost rollups, etc.  Not to mention the financial tracking
and general ledger entries that must take place at numerous points.

This is just for "production control".  The next level, which I don't
even get into here, is MRP or "manufacturing resource planning", which
ties into a production control system.

A person qualified to set up such a system is normally a CPIM (Certified
in Production and Inventory Management) with a related master's degree.

While I fully support the Open Source movement, there is currently no
GPL'ed package anything anywhere near what you will need that is
currently available, and a serious manufacturing operation is best off
shelling out tens to hundreds of thousand dollars to purchase a
commercial package (peanuts compared to the millions setting up the
factory).  Attempting to do it on your own from scratch is, quite
frankly, a little foolhardy (but you're welcome to try!).

By the way it is standard practice for manufacturing software providers
to provide source code for complete flexibility in customizing it to
specific needs, and this is demanded by the users.  This is not GPLed
code though, as the manufacturing software provider owns and enforces
the copyright on its base code.  To my knowledge there has never been a
source code "theft" problem with this, since the the users feel they are
really paying for a service (maintenance and support), and in any case
the customization costs often dwarf the cost of the original package.
The customization costs can be minimal for a small operation willing to
live with the limitations of a base system, and ranges up to several
million dollars for a large factory with all kinds of special needs.

Virtually all of the serious manufacturing systems run on various
flavors of Unix, including Linux.  They will also run under Windows 2K
in principle, but I'm not aware of a large manufacturing operation using
NT or 2K for this.  Actually most of them use and prefer "dumb terminal"
telnet-type interfaces to the Unix server, since for routine
manufacturing operations a character screen is far more efficient for
entering bar-code data with a couple of keystrokes than moving a mouse
around.

To get a feel, here is a list of the various menu functions that should
be available in an actual Production Control system.  In terms of
programming, it typically consists of hundreds of thousands of lines of
4GL code, which sits on top of and interacts with (i.e. calls functions
from) a million or so lines of 4GL code for the underlying inventory,
order processing/accounts receivable, purchasing/accounts payable, and
general ledger software in a sophisticated ERP (enterprise resource
planning) system.  Without endorsing a specific vendor, an actual
example is Foresight Software's Production Planning module.  To get a
perspective, this is roughly the "Production Planning" item in the
subfigure labeled "Manufacturing" on
http://www.foresight-esp.com/scripts/wsisa.dll/productsweb/prodindex.r .

Calendar Maintenance
Employee Maintenance
Workweek/Holiday Maintenance
Final Assembly WO for Sales Order
Work Order Entry
WO Entry - Materials Screen
WO Entry - Labor (Routing) Screen
WO Entry - WO Printing Screen
WO Entry - Serial/Lot Assignment
On-Screen Component Check
Stock Adjustment
WO Scheduling
WO Reserve/Pick List Printing
WO Printing
Issue Materials to WO
WIP Transaction Inquiry
WIP Transaction Report
Time Sheet Entry
WO Completion Entry
Close Work Order
Mass WO Scheduling
Backflush Entry
Close Backflush Work Order
Batch Backflush Maintenance
Batch Backflush List
Batch Backflush Execution
WO Header Serialized Item Inquiry
WO Header Inquiry
WO Completion Total Inquiry
WO Materials Inquiry
WO Labor Inquiry
Time Sheet Inquiry
Employee Inquiry
Employee Rate Inquiry
Backflush Summary by Item Inquiry
Backflush Detail by Item Inquiry
Final Assembly Backflush Inquiry
Work Order Orphan Inquiry
P/R - G/L Distribution by Period, Item, WO, Work Center, Job
WO/BackFlush Detail Report
Cost Variance Report
Materials Variance Analysis
WO Aging Report By Item
Backflush Status Report
Work Order & PO Requisition Report
Work Order Orphan Report
Final Assembly Status Report
Weekly Efficiency Report
Monthly Efficiency Report
P/R - G/L Distribution Report
P/R Inventory Transaction Journal
Closed WO Purge
Time Sheet Purge
Monthly Efficiency Purge
P/R Increment Year/Period
Backflush Transaction Purge
P/R - G/L Interface
P/R Distribution Purge
WIP Transaction Purge

Good luck!

--Norm

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:21:57 -0600

I think he was looking for already designed and written systems rather than
writing one himself.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...