  Is my CDRW detected correctly? ("fafaforza")

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:27:24 -0600

What you want is something called an MRP or ERP.  This stands for
"Manufacturing Resource Planning" or "Enterprise Resource Planning".  Such
systems track inventory (both raw materials and end product), Bill of
Materials, Work Orders, Etc..

Some of them include Customer account tracking (which cusomter received
which product based on work order, etc.), Order management, RMA (Return
Material Authorization), Accounting, ordering and prediction of raw
materials, etc..

I can't answer your question about whether Linux would work for you, But I
thought you should at least know the terms used for the software you're
looking for.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Bob van der Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Resizing a EPS image
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:34:52 -0700

I have a eps file from my scanner which I'd like to printout as a full
page pic. I thought there was a program which would resize this, but I
can't find anything. I do have psresize, but it only seems to work with
ps, not eps files.

So, what I want is a psresize which will take a eps file and enlarge it
to fit a lettersize sheet.

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:08:33 GMT

> Certainly true, but Linux is gaining in the server market and MicroSoft is
> nervous about it. That's why they publicly claim they aren't worried, but
> at the same time they want to lobby lawmakers to make open source products
> basically illegal.

Yeh, I read about that.  Microsoft is pushing to outlaw Linux and other
open source developments.  Will this affect exchange/sharing of ideas or
philosophies in software design, or distribution of the binaries?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:33:52 GMT

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:08:33 GMT, Arctic Storm wrote:
>> Certainly true, but Linux is gaining in the server market and MicroSoft is
>> nervous about it. That's why they publicly claim they aren't worried, but
>> at the same time they want to lobby lawmakers to make open source products
>> basically illegal.
>
>Yeh, I read about that.  Microsoft is pushing to outlaw Linux and other
>open source developments.  Will this affect exchange/sharing of ideas or
>philosophies in software design, or distribution of the binaries?

I haven't read about it, so I don't know MS's stance on the issue, but the
chance of making open source projects basically illegal is infinitely close
to zero.

just my $0.02
-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: help: ppp dialin problems
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:37:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:16:15 GMT, David. E. Goble <goble@gtech> wrote:
>Hi all;
>
>Iam running RedHat 6.2 and trying to set it up as a server.
>
>Not sure how to setup the ip numbers. It will accept a call and allow
>login. But ut comes up with "Could not determine local IP address",
>when I try to dialin from a mac. I just tried from a win95 box, same
>error, but with some unsupported messages in /var/log/ppp.

If you just have 1 dialin modem, and it uses mgetty AutoPPP, you would
specifiy an IP as the 4th field in pap-secrets (see 'man pppd').  Just
make sure you have a name for it in DNS (or /etc/hosts).

>Also should the remote computer have any particular settings, like in
>their hosts...?

All you should have to set in the client is username and password.  If you
have DNS you can pass the server IP's as ms-dns pppd options on the
server.

>Below are some of the files; ppp.log, hosts, options, options.srv,
>login.config, mgetty.config, resolv.conf, pap-secrets.
>
>############ /var/log/ppp ##
>Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: Using interface ppp0
>Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2
>Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap
>Feb 24 14:50:27 gtech pppd[773]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap
>Feb 24 14:50:29 gtech pppd[773]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <asyncmap
>Feb 24 14:50:29 gtech pppd[773]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x5 <asyncmap
>Feb 24 14:50:29 gtech pppd[773]: rcvd [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="user1"
>password=<hidden>]
>Feb 24 14:50:30 gtech pppd[773]: user user1 logged in
>Feb 24 14:50:30 gtech pppd[773]: Unsupported protocol 'Novell IPX
>Control Protocol' (0x802b) received
>Feb 24 14:50:30 gtech pppd[773]: Unsupported protocol 'NETBIOS Framing
>Control Protocol' (0x803f) received

The only protocol you should have checked in DUN is TCP/IP (uncheck IPX,
Netbui and 'Login to network').  You can leave any of the compression
things checked and default route (on client only).

>Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Could not determine local IP address
>Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Connection terminated.
>Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
>Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Sent 454 bytes, received 415 bytes.
>Feb 24 14:50:33 gtech pppd[773]: Exit.
>
>############ hosts #########
>127.0.0.1              gtech localhost.localdomain localhost
>192.168.0.1             gtech

Where is the name of the dialin client?  You need names for both ends of
the connection, but the server can use its LAN IP with pppd proxyarp
option for its local IP.

I could be wrong, but I believe that each name should only be listed for 1
IP.  You have 'gtech' listed twice.  I use 127.0.0.2 for my hostname.

>############ options.srv #######
>auth
>-chap
>+pap

+pap asks the peer (other machine) to authenticate itself and Windows
doesn't do that.  The auth and login options handle the pap authentication
for the user.

>login
>asyncmap 0
>192.168.0.1:192.168.0.25
>debug
>modem
>crtscts
>proxyarp
>
>############### pap-secrets ############
>user1 *       ""
>user2 *       ""

pap-secrets needs a 4th field (allowed IP) for dialin (can be *).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: why /dev/sdx# is a truly unsafe way to refer to physical devices
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 04:03:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> I never much cared for the Linux convention of /dev/sdx# for referring to
>> scsi disks.  Now I've got a reason to really hate it.  On one linux system
>> I have 5 scsi disks and /dev/sdb had been acting up so after rebooting (for
>> unrelated reasons) I went to run badblock on it.  With -w.  I had rebooted
>> into a mode that doesn't mount anything but the root disk.  Well guess what
>> folks, on this reboot that disk did not come up.  Because I didn't try to
>> mount it no messages appeared to that effect, but the disks were all
>> renamed with c->b, d->c, e->d.  Consequently the badblock command munched
>> the disk that had been, for every other boot, /dev/sdc.  You guessed it -
>> the users' files.  I had backups, but it's taking a while to restore
>> everything.

I just work with a system  now with two scsi controllers and eight
devices now (potentially more later) and I also thought it would
be good to have scsi devices which doesn't move if I remove/add
devices.

> There has been a long going debate over whether devices should be
> named by their physical address, or their available sequence.  So
> far the only available reasons I've seen for sequential naming is
> to give you the flexibility of shifting your hard drive target IDs
> to accomodate some other device being added like a tape, or to be
> able to specify that the root filesystem to be mounted as / be the
> first drive found.
>
> If these arguments were strong, then why were they not applied to
> the IDE drive naming?  Why isn't the first IDE drive named "hda"
> even if it is on the secondary IDE bus.

Even that doesn't always help. If you have a system where, say,
/dev/hda2 is a FreeBSD partition and /dev/hda3 is an extended one,
then you have a chance to screw up. Once I had such a system, and when
I tried to install a new distro, it formatted a wrong partition
since the install kernel didn't recognize the FreeBSD as a quasi
extended partition so all partitions on /dev/hda3 shifted.

With my kernel, the system handled it as

hda1 hda2 <hda5 hda6> hda3 <hda7 hda8 hda9>

However, with the install kernel, it looked like

hda1 hda2 hda3 <hda5 hda6 hda7>

I tried to format /dev/hda7 and it formatted the last partition instead.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recovering BootMagic after RH7.0 Install...
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 04:30:08 -0000

Hello:

Windows Me was installed on my Dell 8100 (P4 1.4, 256M RAM, 2 hds -- 20G
HD for RH).

I had installed partition magic 6.0 to assist with reformating and
partitioning the 20G HD (no problems there).  Bootmagic, the lilo of
Partition Magic, was installed and working (even if Windows Me was the
only option).

I installed RH 7.0 (from disks from the Red Hat Linux 7 Server book by
Mohammed j. Kabir--Great book by the way).  RH boots to the Red Hat lilo
screen with THREE options:  1.  Linux (selectiing this option hangs the
system); 2. Linux up (this gets me to the RH linux os); and 3. dos
(Windows Me).

My question is this.  I know I can get Bootmagic to allow booting to
either Windows Me or RH Linux.  However, even after I select the "dos"
option in lilo, I do NOT get BootMagic.

I am assuming (but want confirmation :) ) that I can simply run the
Bootmagic reovery option under Windows Me to recover the Bootmagic os
screen and configure it as I wish...

Any comments?

Thanks,

James

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 04:37:01 GMT

In article <QjYl6.13481$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> OTOH, there's also minicom (curses) and Seyon (X).  I can't ever get
>> either of them to do anything very useful, but other people seem to
>> use them.
>
>I've always found minicom pretty useful; essentially a "Unix version
>of Telix," for those that remember the IBM BBS days...

For me, changing configuration (baud rate, serial port, etc.) often seems to
have no effect unless it's absolutely the first thing you do when you start
the program.  I don't know how many hours of time I wasted because minicom
didn't have the baud rate set to the value it claimed it did.  I never got
sending a file to work either -- the end of the file always gets chopped
off.

I also find it infuriating that non-root users can't change configuration
values.  Apparently the author of minicom was unaware that the serial port
device files have mode bits, and thus one should leave privilege decisions
up to the OS.

I finally got fed up with minicom's unpredictability and repeatedly finding
that what were reported as bugs in _my_ software were actually bugs in
minicom.  I down-loaded and built ckermit.  Next time the test group reports
that they've found a bug in my software using a test setup that involves
minicom, I'm going to refuse to look at it until they reproduce the bug
using kermit.

[The minicom user-interface also drives me nuts.  I find typing commands to
ckermit takes a fraction of the time that the menu system in minicom takes
-- but that's a matter of personal taste.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. bleakness....
                                  at               desolation.... plastic

------------------------------

From: Brent Pathakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft stricks again:  Why is Media Player 7 so slooow, so      heavy?
Crossposted-To:
alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 04:40:23 GMT

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> [...]
>
> > Any other O/S I've ever worked with has been one hell of a
> > learning curve -and most people just don't need to go through that in
> > order
> > to be able to do productive work.  (There is one exception to that,
> > actually, which is BEOS -works like a charm out of the box, and is a
> > delight
> > to use.  Unfortunately, nothing runs on it... but hey! You can't have
> > everything!!)
>
> Coming from a DOS world, running Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98,
> Windows NT, and now Windows 2000 has been a hell of a learning curve,
> spread over the
> course of 15 years in my life.  Linux has also been a learning curve, but
> it has been a lot more FUN.  Why?  Because although Microsoft marketing
> had led me to expect easy install experiences, that rarely happened. I
> know Linux
> can be tough.  And I willingly cut Linux some slack because it is written
> by the people, for the people, so to speak.  I expect a $500 office suite
> written by Microsoft to be absolutely bug-free at this stage in its
> life-cycle, but it is not.  It is littered with bugs and compatibility
> problems.  I'm not going to spend that kind of money on my home machine
> anymore.  I'd rather struggle and learn something, than struggle and
> never learn anything.
>
> > Your experiences with Excel and Word sound most unfortunate.  It simply
> > hasn't happened to me, and I can't think of anyone of my acquaintance to
> > whom it's happened either.
>
> Perhaps you've not yet hit the threshold of your computer's RAM yet.  When
> you do, every Windows OS I know, including Win 2000 Pro, exhibits some
> very crappy behavior.
>
> > But let's leave it there, shall we.  Clearly we won't agree.  I think
> > it's horses for courses; you seem to be saying I must buy a thoroughbred
> > every time.
>
> No, he's not saying that, though it is nice that you think of Linux
> as a thoroughbred.  He simply wants a computer that has decent security,
> functionally correct and robust memory management, a decent TCP/IP
> implementation, at a reasonable cost.  Buying Microsoft is like viewing
> a sequence of ho-hum videos, and keeping it up because you keep thinking,
> "This one sucked.  Maybe the next one will be cool."
>
> Chris

>>snip>>
Microsoft is working hard to win the server market, but their reputation
and
the
facts about their stability and security problems still persist.
Personally,
I want both OS's to continue to battle.  Otherwise, stasis will ensue.
But, unless Microsoft keeps improving, they will never win the server
battle.
People may buy them, but tire of the endless upgrade cycles, OS churn,
inflexibility, personnel costs, and instability.

A note on the server market, especially the high eng.

One reasaon MS is still struggling there, other than the obvious, is that
it is still basically a Intel based platform and Intel servers still have
serious limitations.

MS really has no one to blame but themselves on this one.  Technically,
there's no reason why Win OS's couldn't be ported to more platforms, but
their Eula makes it nightmare legally...and if you do manage get past the
legal issues, what's to keep MS from losing interest halfway thru the
project and bailing out.

Wiht unix like os's (esp. certain open source ones), the only obstacles are
technical one.

------------------------------

From: Hung Ngoc Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with bandwidth management
Date: 25 Feb 2001 01:59:36 GMT

Hi Everyone,

Is there any freeware or shareware in Linux that allows me to
control the bandwidth utilization of specific services.  Right
now, I am connecting my linux box (running Redhat 6.2 with
kernel 2.4.2) to an SDSL connection (256kps upload/download).
I am running both FTP and telnet services on the same box.
The problem is that everytimes someone is downloading a
large file from my linux box, the ftp server will basically
consume all the bandwith thus making life very miserable for
other users who use interactive applications such as http, mail
and telnet until the ftp session is completed.  I would like set
aside a maximum of 192kbps for the ftp server and 56kbps
for telnet server.  Can this be done on the linux box?
 I know that checkpoint has a software called flood-gate that
does similar thing but I am looking for freeware or shareware.
I am really desparated for a solution.  Please help.

Many thanks.
David

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 25 Feb 2001 04:47:03 GMT

Not to be too annoying, but a one-minute Google search finds Linux
versions of Solid State's MPAC and Mapics for Linux.  There doesn't
appear to be an Open Source/Free Software solution, but several
respected commercial products sure seem to exist in Linux versions.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: "fafaforza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is my CDRW detected correctly?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:03:32 -0500

Below is my dmesg. I believe that my drive is being recognized as an SCSI
one, and when I mount it I use /dev/scd0 and it works. I believe I have all the
modules loaded:

ringa:~$ /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sr_mod                 16380   0  (unused)
sg                           14872   0  (unused)
scsi_mod              58280   2  [sr_mod sg]
ide-scsi                  6912   0
ide-cd                  23312   0

but when I run cdrecord -scanbus:

ringa:/opt/schily/bin# ./cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
./cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
./cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

And here is DMESG output:

Linux version 2.2.13 (root@zap) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1
.1.2 release)) #127 Thu Oct 21 13:13:20 CDT 1999
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: IBM-DTLA-305020, ATA DISK drive
hdc: R/RW 4x4x24, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: IBM-DTLA-305020, 19623MB w/380kB Cache, CHS=2501/255/63
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IDE-CD    Model: R/RW 4x4x24       Rev: Z024
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56

I think the SCSI emulation is fine. Maybe there is a module I am missing.
I do have all the devices, I ran both scripts in the CD Writing HOWTO.

Thanks for any info.