From: Gu Weining <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where's the physical address of kernel function after linked...
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:09:32 -0600

Many thanks to you, Beyer, for your interesting response.

Sounds like not every function is there(neither /boot/System.map nor
/proc/ksyms). Someone told me I may export the function so that it's
possible to check in System.map or ksyms. Most importantly, what kind
of addr(physical or virtual) they are? Where to find the materials
to introduce these stuff?

Thank you again.

Weining Gu

------------------------------

From: Brian Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web page publishing
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:35:49 -0500

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brian Goodyear wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> I use brain and Netscape.
> >>
> >> Also, to uploaded I use rsync via ssh.
> >
> >Yes, I realize that there are ways to cobble together something
> >but I would like something more along the lines of Front Page.
>
> Front page is a horrendous piece of crap.  It generates *awful*
> HTML that has an approximately 0% chance of rendering properly
> on a different browsers and at a different resolutions.  The BS
> required on the HTTP server to support Fromt Page is also
> horrible.  Last time I installed Front Page support, it was
> almot 8 times larger than the server itself.
>
> I'm not aware of anything on Linux that's even remotely as
> screwed up as Front Page.

 It turns out some kind soul pointed me to QUANTA2 which seems to be set up
in a way that I believe even I can work with it.

Brian ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:15:07 +0100

Paul Lew wrote:

> Guess there is a difference between libc 2.1 and 2.2 but what is the
> relation with libc 5 or libc 6 ??

g(nu-)libc-2.x = (linux-)libc-6.x

(linux)-libc-5.x is a older version of the linux-libc. It was loosely
based on glibc-1 The switch from libc-5 to libc-6 was around 1998. If
you want to run binaries, which predate that switch you have to install
a libc5 runtime environment, because there is no binary compatility
between libc-5 and libc-6.

--
Markus Kossmann

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 05:48:49 GMT

See what happen when someone was trying to write an open source version of ASF
Microsoft sent their lawyers after him
http://www.byte.com/column/BYT20000905S0005
But Microsoft does not play fair,  look what happen when they tried to
incorporate open source
Kerberos and modified it and claim it to be their own product.

Microsoft is still king on the desktop, but UNIX and its cousins might be
threaten it.
Linux is getting better at the Desktop.  Mac OS X  has a really user friendly
user interface on Unix.  Many of the open UNIX source code can be easily
recompiled on Mac OS X.
Unix  has claimed the high end server area.  Linux is threaten Microsoft in the
low and medium server area.
Palm is king on the PDA area, but Microsoft is slowly gain ground.  Now Linux
is threaten at that area.
The Compaq IPAQ can run Windows CE and Linux, now HP and Sharp are preparing to
have Linux PDA.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:17:08 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:20:43 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Byron A Jeff wrote:
> >
> > > It's about disposable income Aaron. Those who have it should give. Those
> > > who don't should get help. It ain't fair in your world view. But life isn't
> > > fair. Which is exactly my point.
> >
> > The only fair tax is every able-bodied adult pays the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.
>
> But some are more able-bodied than others.

Does your grocery store change they charge for food on the basis
of how much you earn?

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Bill B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I want to make a dual boot system, but don't know how to.
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:21:10 GMT

Hi Everybody!
After my birthday I am going to have anough money to buy another harddrive
to make my first RAID. I have decided I am going to format my drive then (I
am pretty sure I have to to make a RAID) and I remebered I have a copy of
TurboLinux Server 6.0 Lite that came with my NIC. So I am going to install
this to see what Linux is all about. But I want to keep my Win98 for
computing, and am installing Linux to see it. So I need info on making a
dual boot system. I could also use info on Linux sence I have never used a
Linux system or read anything about Linux.

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Help: apache access denied...problems
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:26:57 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:21:25 -0500, moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On the first one, did you change it with linuxconf?  Linuxconf breaks the
>httpd.conf file.  Sorry I didn't think to ask before.

Hi moonie;

Thanks for your reply. I have heard of the problems with linuxconf and
after having problems myself with installs and other things, decided
to do things manually after the last time I got feed up and restarted
from scratch... Since then I do not know what changed it or went
wrong...

------------------------------

From: rs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISO cd images, whats wrong here?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:30:05 -0000

The CD you made is a bootable CD and is meant to be ran when you reboot
your machine (if you have your CDROM set as the first boot device in your
bios).  If you just try to go and run the autoboot while in windows then of
course your going to get errors since it's a linux program that the
autoboot tries run on your CD and windows can't run native linux programs.

I'll bet if you restart your machine and if you have your machine set to
boot from the CDROM then your CD will probably work.

From: "matter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:32:39 GMT

I'm sure the crapola Easy CD software is the problem. I've burnt hundreds of
ISO files using Nero and CDR Win without any problems at all. All my RedHat
CDs work wonderful. Bottom line is to dump the Adaptec crap and try Nero.
You wont regret it.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chris Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help! new kernel - can't mount cdrom
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:49:38 -0500

Help! anybody please
I'm using RH6.2
I just installed kernel 2.2.17-14 from the rpms from RH (RHSA2001:013-05)
and now I can't mount my cdrom!
The messages I'm getting are:

> mount /dev/cdrom0
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom0,
        or too many mounted filesystems

Although I fairly newbie I don't think I really screwed up the install
because:
(a) everything else seems to be OK - I just can't mount my cdrom
(b) I did this before, installing 2.2.16 a few weeks ago. I had no problems
at all, and that one's still working fine.

How do I begin to find the problem? Are there more details about the failure
being logged somewhere?  Do I need to check the kernel configuration?

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help! new kernel - can't mount cdrom
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:22:04 GMT

Chris Coyle wrote:

> Help! anybody please
> I'm using RH6.2
> I just installed kernel 2.2.17-14 from the rpms from RH (RHSA2001:013-05)
> and now I can't mount my cdrom!
> The messages I'm getting are:
>
> > mount /dev/cdrom0
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom0,
>         or too many mounted filesystems
>
> Although I fairly newbie I don't think I really screwed up the install
> because:
> (a) everything else seems to be OK - I just can't mount my cdrom
> (b) I did this before, installing 2.2.16 a few weeks ago. I had no problems
> at all, and that one's still working fine.
>
> How do I begin to find the problem? Are there more details about the failure
> being logged somewhere?  Do I need to check the kernel configuration?

Try:  mount /mnt/cdrom

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.085% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:16:55 -0700

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 05:48:49 GMT, E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Microsoft is still king on the desktop, but UNIX and its cousins might be
>threaten it.
>Linux is getting better at the Desktop.  Mac OS X  has a really user friendly
>user interface on Unix.  Many of the open UNIX source code can be easily
>recompiled on Mac OS X.

This is the funny part. For years MS maintained their monopoly in part
by REFUSING to support any hardware platform but the one controlled by
they and their  partners-in-crime at Intel. Now all of a sudden
multi-platform OS's and applications are in huge demand and there sits
MS, stuck in a deep, deep rut of their own making.

Talk about poetic justice!

Unfortunately irony also works the other way: The very same Windows
emulators that helped linux move into MS's market, may buy MS the time
they need to get their applications up to speed on other platforms.
<sigh>

------------------------------

From: Cyber Dog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: Running On StartUp
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:30:07 -0000

What's the necessary procedure for running a software program on a Linux-Mandrake 7.2
system when I log into my account? For example: I have AOL Instant Messenger installed
on my account.  When I log in, I want the program to be run automatically, rather than
me having to run /usr/local/bin/aim every time.  How can this be accomplished?  Thanks.

From: Cyber Dog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: Newly Installed GNU software.
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:30:08 -0000

Running Linux-Mandrake 7.2.  I've tried installing new software, such as the M4
program, from www.gnu.org.  It seems to install correctly into the /usr/local/bin
directory (default), but when I go to install other software, nothing recognizes that
the M4, etc, are installed and available.  Why aren't the installations being
detected?  Thanx.

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Bad Magic Number ? - Recovery ?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:31:58 +0100

\> I'm trying to recover an old /home partition in a different hard
> disk than the one I'm using at the moment.
>
> I've tried a few things but I cannot seem to be able to mount the
> partition,

Well what have you tried?
`fdisk -l /dev/hdXXX`
how old is it? is it ext2 formatted?

> and when I make an entry to /etc/fstab in the new system and reboot,

That wont change a thing, rebooting is a windows habit.

> I've got
> the error message 'Bad magic number.....'.

did it not state to run fsck manually? then do it.

> Is there anything I can do to recover all my data from the /home
> partition?

There's a lot to try, but I'd be wasting my time, if you don't tell
me what you've already tried.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Curly brackets
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:35:10 -0500

Federico Bravo wrote:

> Can you tell me how to insert special-characters when text-editing? I
> mean when I write a C-Language program I would like to be able to put a
> curly bracket after main () but there's none on my Italian keyboard (
> which I mapped with xkeycaps ).
> I'm used to vi ( RH 7.0 )  , but can move to any other editor if
> necessary.
> Thank you, sorry for the question ...

Sorry, Federico, but I don't know how to get your Italian keyboard to
enter curly braces (I assume you mean these... { } ).

However, since you are writing a C program, have you considered using
digraphs or trigraphs to solve your problem? If these terms are new to
you, they refer to the ability of an ANSI C compiler to treat certain
contigious combinations of two or three characters as a single
character.

The egcs documentation includes this paragraph about digraphs:

    The following digraph tokens are supported:
        <:      :>      <%      %>      %:      %:%:
    These behave like the following, respectively:
        [       ]       {       }       #       ##

The trigraphs for { and { are ??( and ??) respectively (I'm working from
memory here).

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Odd Question
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:37:39 -0500

Lipid wrote:

> THis is kind of funny...
>
>    I was tar'ing some files the other day and I created a file that can not
> be deleted. Basically, I used the tar cvf option, but instead of putting my
> filename after the 'f', I accidently used the '--attime-preserve' option.
>
>    This created a huge file called '--attime-preserve' and I can not delete
> it.
>
>    When I try, it gives me the following errors:
>
> # rm --atime-preserve
> rm: unrecognized option `--atime-preserve'
> Try `rm --help' for more information.
>
>    Tried to rename it then delete:
>
> # mv --atime-preserve
> mv: unrecognized option `--atime-preserve'
> Try `mv --help' for more information.
>
>    Any suggestions?

The simplest approach is sometimes the best   <g>

  rm ./--atime-preserve

or

  rm /path/to/--atime-preserve