From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:36:20 -0500

Gregg Black wrote:

> I'm reading up on setting up linux, and it states that many will setup
> separate partitions for /usr and /home besides ones swap space.  I would
> like to ask you how you usually setup your partitioning.  I was a little bit
> confused on it, for you at least need a mounting point of root.  This is how
> I did it, but I'm not sure if it's how it should be done.  I set one
> partition for about 3/4 of the drive as '/'.  I thought that would cover my
> separate partition for /usr as well as the mount point.  My second partition
> and about 1/4 of the drive (not all, as the last is for swap) I set as mount
> point /home.  Then of course the remaining 256 megs I set for swap.
>
> At first I was going to create a 7 meg partition just for mounting root,
> then the larger 3/4 approx for /usr, and then the last primary for /home but
> I thought it just made more sense to make just a / and /home partition.
> Maybe I'm just not thinking about this correctly.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated!
>
> I'm running Mandrake 7.2

I set mine up as follows (YMMV):

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1116 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
/boot
/dev/sda2             4        20    136552+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3            21       275   2048287+  83  Linux
/data1
/dev/sda4           276      1116   6755332+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5           276       403   1028128+  83  Linux      /opt
/dev/sda6           404       420    136521   83  Linux      /tmp
/dev/sda7           421       452    257008+  83  Linux      /var
/dev/sda8           453      1116   5333548+  83  Linux      /

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1116 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
/boot2
/dev/sdb2             4        20    136552+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb3            21       275   2048287+  83  Linux
/data2
/dev/sdb4           276      1116   6755332+   5  Extended
/dev/sdb5           276      1116   6755301   83  Linux
/home

It might make sense for me to reorder them a little. Since I
almost never swap, for example, I should probably put the swap
partitions out of the way. I do not know if /opt and / should be
closer together or not. Likewise, I have not split /usr off from
/, though it might be a good idea. But it is too much trouble to
change these, so I will not do anything until my next install,
probably over a year from now.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:31:25 GMT

Minimum traditional place to start for 6GB drive, in this order:

/         50MB }
/usr    2500MB } primary partitions
swap     250MB }
     extended partition here
/var     100MB }
/tmp     250MB } logical partitions
/home   1000MB }
/big    (rest) }

/ (root) contains critical directories like /lib /etc /bin /boot.  Don't
skimp.  Remember the outside 1/3 of the disk (smaller cylinder numbers)
is almost 50% faster than the inside 1/3.  swap is after /usr to reduce
head travel.  You can always carve up /big later using fdisk.  Also you
could do a minimal:

/         50MB }
/usr    3500MB } primary partitions
swap     250MB }
/home   (rest) }

where things like /var /tmp and /opt all end up in the /usr partition.
This is ok but you only get 4 primary partitions just like DOS.

Here's my partition table which dual boots W95.  Note /dev/hda11 is not
used for anything at the moment.  If the old W95 wasn't there, swap
would be after /usr.

# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2501 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1        62    497983+   6  FAT16
/dev/hda2   *        63        68     48195   83  Linux
/dev/hda3            69       100    257040   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4           101      2491  19205707+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5           101       483   3076416   83  Linux
/dev/hda6           484       499    128488+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           500       565    530113+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8           566       820   2048256   83  Linux
/dev/hda9           821       922    819283+   6  FAT16
/dev/hda10          923      1305   3076416   83  Linux
/dev/hda11         1306      2491   9526513+  83  Linux

# df
/dev/hda2                46636     38377      5851  87% /
/dev/hda5              3027852   1401390   1626462  46% /usr
/dev/hda6               124427     23013     94990  20% /var
/dev/hda7               521748       696    494548   0% /tmp
/dev/hda8              2015964    906674   1109290  45% /home
/dev/hda10             3028080   1485700   1542380  49% /kits

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: "Chris Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help! new kernel - can't mount cdrom
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:37:25 -0500

Thanks Matt,
you confirmed what I found through a little experimentation.
It does appear to be a problem (or at least an incompatibility)
with ide-scsi in 2.2.17.  When I removed the line

    append="hdd=ide-scsi"

from the 2.2.17 section of my lilo.conf, suddenly I was able to
mount both cd-roms, but of course ide-scsi found no hosts.
I wanted to fix this so I could still boot 2.2.16 when I wanted,
so this is the fix (or work-around) I came up with:

/etc/lilo.conf:
==============
[in both 2.2.16 and 2.2.17 sections]

    append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

(so both kernels would boot in a device-compatible state).

/etc/fstab:
==========
    /dev/scd0    /mnt/cdrom0    ...
    /dev/scd1    /mnt/cdrom1    ...

/etc/cdrecord.conf:
==================
matshita=    0,1,0

(because the cd-recorder is now the second scsi host).

Thanks to everyone who answered on this.
Case closed, I guess, although ...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:33:47 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax

Brent Pathakis wrote:

> Saw this article:
>
> http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/7698.html
>
> Leaving out the ms vs linux arguments, MS supporters, explain to me how MS
> can justify charging licenseing fees and a machines where no products are
> installed?

It sounds like the author is merely assuming that a fee is paid to MS,
regardless of whether Win is installed or not. He is assuming that if
the retailer has fewer up front costs, that the costs would be passed
on. The retailer is probably also considering support costs and learning
curves. In a way though, even if support costs are not considered, there
is an advantage to the manufacturer (and linux as a whole) if selling
the same system for higher profit is possible...it means the retailer
has an added bonus to push Linux over MS. Whether the end user is
willing to pay the same thing for a pure Linux versus pure MS system is
a good question...maybe if support is an issue, and the retailer is
willing to support the product, it is worthwhile. I'd be very interested
in hearing from retailers like Dell whether such a fee is paid to MS or
not, when no MS products are involved (I doubt Dell or IBM would be
willing to pay MS anything for this case).

PS: I dislike the alt.linux.sux reply setup; the reply to this message
should go to the newsgroup it was posted on. Personally, I think MS sux.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reserve fraction of CPU time on server?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:41:37 -0500

Eugene Grayver wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a 2 CPU P3-1GHz Linux RH 7 (2.4.0) server.  The server is used as
> a file server (SAMBA) but users can also run scientific simulations on
> it (MATLAB/C).  The problem is that when there are more than 2
> simulations jobs running at once, both CPUs are used and the file
> service becomes sluggish.  How can I reserver a certain amount of CPU
> time for the kernel/samba?

You might run the simulations at nice 10 or something like that
(man nice). You might also do man batch.

> Please reply by e-mail.

No. If a question is worth asking in public, it should be
answered in public.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 5:40pm up 5 days, 1:14, 3 users, load average: 3.28, 3.27,
3.21

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH startup background image
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:44:19 -0500

Martin Lemenu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I would like to know where is the file containing the initial bootup
> background image in RH 7.0 when there is more than 1 OS? Can anyone tell
> me where it is and what type of image it is?

You mean the one specified in /etc/X11/xdm file Xsetup_0?

From: Jeff Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Leafnode Newsserver in Intranet
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:36:32 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>niketan sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> hello
>> somebody told me to use Leafnode newsserver for my intranet now the
>> problem is in configuration i cannot creat my own newsgroup i only want
>> internal newsgroup server no connection form outside (internet) suggest me
>> how to do i am using linux 5.2 and it is working as dail up mail server
>> for my company
>
>I think leafnode is only designed for the client-side of news access. It
>contacts a newsserver to download the newsgroups and articles, and post new
>articles to it... It can't handle local groups by itself.
>
>I think you need something more complex, like INN to run a proper news
>server and create your own local newsgroups...

The next version of Leafnode, which is currently in beta testing, does
handle local newsgroups.  You might be able to find information about
it on http://www.leafnode.org.

Jeff
---
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Martin Lemenu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:05:35 -0500

No, I mean the background image that comes up when you boot with a multi-OS
machine. I think this is LILO coming up in graphical mode with a list of OSs
that you can choose to boot.

Thanks again!

------------------------------

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASP 4 Linux?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:21:23 GMT

Is there such a thing?

Please post only

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:24:42 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please help with setting su password

richard noel fell wrote:

> Thank  you, Michael, for your reply. I booted from the boot diskette,
> entering linux rescue, as instructed. However, all that happened was
> the beginning of the installation procedure. I did the same from the
> cd - linux rescue at the prompt and again, the installation procedure
> started. Perhaps, one cannot enter rescue mode from either the boot
> diskette or the cd? Is this trur

I don't know about RH, with SuSE you boot from the first CD and type
manual at the lilo prompt, yast1 is started this way,
you can instruct it to load modules neccesary (ie. your / is on SCSI)
automagically and boot a rescue system then.

You should consult the manual of your RH distro, I can't imagine, RH
hasn't something easy like this built in, but from
what I've read in the last time, RH seems to have mucked up many thing,
I've been told you can't even compile a fresh
kernel with it out of the box?

Michael Heiming

> Dick Fell
>
> Michael Heiming wrote:
>
>> richard noel fell wrote:
>>
>> > For reasons unbeknownst to me, my system, redhat 7.0, will no
>> longer
>> > accept the password for su. This prevents many things, such as
>> being
>> > able to print, etc. How can I reset the password if I can not log
>> on
>> > as su? I can't imagine that I have to reinstall the software.  My
>> > purchase of 7.0 comes with a boot diskette. Will this be of any
>> help?
>> > Thanks to all in advance,
>> > Dick Fell
>>
>> Boot from your boot diskette, mount your / device to /mnt
>>
>> vi /mnt/etc/shadow
>>
>> root:deleted_your_crypted_passwd:
>>
>> umount /mnt
>>
>> Reboot and you should be done, set a new root pwd, as you shouldn't
>> have
>> one anymore!
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Michael Heiming
>
> --
> Please note new email address:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Richard Fell
> 13 Davida Road
> Burlington, Ma 01803
> (781)273-2126

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 25 Feb 2001 18:40:49 -0500

"Gregg Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm reading up on setting up linux, and it states that many will setup
> separate partitions for /usr and /home besides ones swap space.  I would
> like to ask you how you usually setup your partitioning.

Right now I use just three partitions: /boot, root, and swap.  This is
not really a good solution.

The /boot partition is a RAID1 (mirrored) array.  That makes it useful
as a "failproof" device so I can boot my system even if something goes
wrong.  I should thus probably have /bin and /sbin on there and use
that as my root directory.

> I was a little bit confused on it, for you at least need a mounting
> point of root.  This is how I did it, but I'm not sure if it's how
> it should be done.  I set one partition for about 3/4 of the drive
> as '/'.  I thought that would cover my separate partition for /usr
> as well as the mount point.  My second partition and about 1/4 of
> the drive (not all, as the last is for swap) I set as mount point
> /home.  Then of course the remaining 256 megs I set for swap.

That's basically what I did.

> At first I was going to create a 7 meg partition just for mounting root,
> then the larger 3/4 approx for /usr, and then the last primary for /home but
> I thought it just made more sense to make just a / and /home partition.

Sometimes it does.  But if you know what size /usr is going to be, you
might be able to fill it up on installation and then mount it
readonly.

/tmp is also a good target for another partition.  This will keep
malicious users from filling up your root filesystem and making the
system unusuable by anyone except root.

For a single-user box, I don't think there's a significant advantage
to having many partitions if you have a big enough disk - now that
LILO can boot from most anywhere on the disk on modern systems.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:44:12 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Eugene Grayver wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a 2 CPU P3-1GHz Linux RH 7 (2.4.0) server.  The server is used as
> a file server (SAMBA) but users can also run scientific simulations on
> it (MATLAB/C).  The problem is that when there are more than 2
> simulations jobs running at once, both CPUs are used and the file
> service becomes sluggish.

Has your server enough RAM, or does it start to swap, in case of all you
metioned is
running?

Check with vmstat and/or top.

Using nice as Jean-David Beyer suggestet would be another good idea, but I
wonder
as samba, from my expirience, uses very low CPU and I havn't seen the
service become
"sluggish", if your have enough RAM and your harddisks are not that slow
(check with hdparm).

>  How can I reserver a certain amount of CPU
> time for the kernel/samba?
>
> Please reply by e-mail.

Why, you asked in a ng?

> Thanks,
> Eugene Grayver.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:50:15 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <97bpqn$e0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Gregg Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'm reading up on setting up linux, and it states that many will setup
> separate partitions for /usr and /home besides ones swap space.  I would
> like to ask you how you usually setup your partitioning.  I was a little bit
> confused on it, for you at least need a mounting point of root.
> Maybe I'm just not thinking about this correctly.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated!

There is no single correct way to do it. There are pros and cons to just
about any partitioning scheme you can think of. For newbies, I generally
recommend a fairly minimal approach: root (/) and swap, with an optional
split of /home and, on some systems, a separate /boot partition to keep
the kernel below the 1024-cylinder mark. This last is increasingly
unnecessary as distributions include GRUB or versions of LILO that can
boot from beyond the 1024-cylinder mark. The main advantage of the
separate /home partition is that it makes it easier to do a clean 100%
reinstall without mucking up the user files.

The drawback to creating multiple partitions is that it's hard to
predict how large to make them. This is true of experienced users, but
it's especially true for new users, who really have no idea how big
these things should be. It's also something for which somebody else's
experience is useless. For instance, somebody with lots of experience
administering major mail servers will likely want a big separate /var
partition; but the average home system needs very little space devoted
to /var. /home at least, as the storage space for user files, is
something the size of which new users have some chance of estimating. If
you guess wrong, you've got to juggle data around, repartition, or
dynamically resize a partition.

Splitting off multiple partitions has several advantages, such as a
reduced chance of problems should a runaway process create a too-large
file and a reduced chance losing all your data in case of a filesystem
problem. IMHO, these are all dwarfed for new users by the near certainty
of getting partition sizes wrong, but those who know how big to make
their partitions may prefer to split things up.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com