Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:28:09 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FIXED Re: adding extensions to many files in a directory

Glitch wrote:

> James D. McIninch wrote:
>
>  > Glitch wrote:
>  >
>  >> hello,
>  >>
>  >> is it possible to easily add .zip (in this case) to all the files in a
>  >> directory even when none of the files already have an 'extension' as
>  >> well as some end with numbers and others end with letters?
>  >>
>  >> is there any simple fast way of doing that?
>  >
>  >
>  > for file in /dir/with/the/files/*
>  > do
>  > mv $file $file.zip
>  > done
>  >

> i found out this does work actually, but only slightly. After doing a
> directory listing some files do have a .zip appended to the filenames
> but the majority were only files that end in numbers, and not even all
> of them at that. A few that ended with letters were changed but hardly any.
>
> Why weren't all the filenames changed?
> here is a sample directory listing:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 914 Feb 26 00:24 10_past_3.748.zip
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1343 Feb 26 00:24 4on.1346.zip
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 294 Feb 26 00:24 _189.a
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11571 Feb 26 00:24 a97m-loaded.a.zip
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7997 Feb 26 00:24 abba.9849.a.zip
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2421 Feb 26 00:24 abc.2378.zip
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 967 Feb 26 00:24 abraxas.1214
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2022 Feb 26 00:24 ada.2600
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 915 Feb 26 00:24 akuku.889.d

It seems my Perl script that I was using to rename these files from
their original names wasn't creating the new filenames right. It was
leaving a space on some of the names so that when the name was used to
rename the file the space was added and throwing off the mv command.

After I made my Perl script correctly all the filenames are created
correctly which allows me to rename all the files w/o trouble.

------------------------------

From: Fung Wai Keung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gain root access automatically in runlevel 4
Date: 26 Feb 2001 10:54:53 GMT

Hi all,

I am developing a kiosk system with touchscreen monitor using Linux.
The system will not have a keyboard for user input.  My program needs root
access to be run.  I set the system to boot to runlevel 4.  However, my
program doesn't run.  Is there any way to gain root access automatically
(without typing root password with keyboard) when the system boot up?

Thanks in advance.

Wai Keung, Fung

Department of Automation and Computer-Aided Engineering,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T.,
Hong Kong

Tel: (852)26098056      Fax: (852)26036002
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:20:48 +0100
From: Peter Hamader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UncorrectableError

Hi!

I get the following message, when booting:

Feb 26 12:15:14 tom kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:06 (hda),
sector 66246
Feb 26 12:15:15 tom kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Feb 26 12:15:15 tom kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=5319563, sector=66245
Feb 26 12:15:15 tom kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:06 (hda),
sector 66245
Feb 26 12:15:17 tom kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Feb 26 12:15:17 tom kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=5319564, sector=66246
Feb 26 12:15:17 tom kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:06 (hda),
sector 66246

What does that mean? Do I have bad sectors on my hard disk? Where do I
get further
information?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:44:49 +0100
From: Peter Hamader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ctrl + Alt + BkSp

Hi,

As of version 4 of X11, the following option does what you want:

 Option "DontZap" "boolean"

------------------------------

From: "Marc Quinlivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: timer.c
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:42:33 -0000

i'm looking for a document which descibed the functions of the timer.c
program

any help would be appreciated

please reply to my email address.

------------------------------

From: Hung Ngoc Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with configuring xdm on RedHat 7
Date: 26 Feb 2001 11:48:13 GMT

Hi everyone,

I am running RH 7 with kernel 2.4.2 on an Intel box
(233MHz/128MB RAM).  I would like to connect
to this box with X-Win32 from a Microsoft
Windows.  However, nothing seems to be working
for me.  Here is what I did:

- from the Linux box:
1) edit the the  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess file
to allow access from anywhere,
2) start (or restart) xdm,

-from Microsoft windows (98/NT):
1) Launch X-win32 application (using XDMCP)

Nothing work.  I have the same identical RedHat
linux 6.1 box running 2.2.18 and it works there.  Are
there any differences between 6.1 and 7.0 that I
should be aware of.  If anyone know how to fix this
problem, please help me.  I am really desperated for
a solution.

Many Thanks.
David

From: Bud Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: FTP scripting...
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:55:18 -0600

Josef Moellers wrote:

> Grant Edwards wrote:

>> >    René> ....can someone tell me if the normal ftp-client is
>> >    René> scriptable???  How can I write a script for it.  Can you
>> >    René> give me an example???  I want to login to a server and put a
>> >    René> file on it.
>> >
>> >You might try something like the following:
>> >
>> >#!/bin/ksh
>> >ftp -n 172.28.211.99 << EOD
>> >        user cbbrowne MySecretPassword
>> >        cd /tmp
>> >        binary
>> >        put somefile.txt
>> >        bye
>> >EOD
>>
>> You're probably better off using ncftpget/ncftpput for doing
>> stuff in a script.
>
> ... or look at the netrc concept. I've written a number of scripts that
> generate .netrc files on-the-fly and remove them when the access is
> done.

Expect was designed to handle tasks like that.

        http://expect.nist.gov

--
Bud Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marcel)
Subject: lpd: printing to file (overwrites)
Date: 26 Feb 2001 12:01:28 GMT

With my RedHat6.2 system I want to store everything that gets printed to a
queue (lpr -P<queue> <file>) into a file. After some looking and testing
around, I found a construction that almost does the trick.

Almost, because after the first succesful queue-to-print command, the
following commands don't append the data at the end of the file. Worse:
it gets overwritten!

Even stranger is that if my first file is, say 100 lines, and the second
file is only 10 lines, only the first 10 lines of the FIRST file (the
contents of 'safetylist.txt' that is) gets overwritten with the complete
(10 lines of) the data from the SECOND file. Well, isn't that strange...?

My situation:

RedHat 6.2, with default lpr-0.50-4.rpm installed

/etc/printcap  (644, root:root)
=============
test:\
       :lp=/var/spool/lpd/safetylist.txt:\
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/blah:\
       :sh:

..and in the directory  /var/spool/lpd  I have:

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4.0k Feb 26 12:12 blah
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            5 Feb 26 12:12 lpd.lock
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Feb 26 12:12 safetylist.txt

The blah-directory contains:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           16 Feb 26 12:12 lock
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root           27 Feb 26 12:12 status

This what I have after having sent a few jobs to the 'test'-queue. The
command I use for this is:

       # lpr -Ptest /tmp/testfile.txt

Looking at the spool dir and seeing a 'status' file there, seems to
indicate that lpd doesn't agree with sending something to a file. My
opinion is that lpd needs a signal that 'everything's ok, remove the
status-file and/or lock-files', but thats mere speculation from me.

some additional info:

starting up  lpd -l  doesn't print anything to messages.

    lpc> status
    test:
            queuing is enabled
            printing is enabled
            no entries
            no daemon present

(re)starting test doesn't work either.

    lpc> restart test
    test:
            no daemon to abort
    test:
            daemon started

Suggestions?

Any help muchly appreciated.

marcel

------------------------------

From: Fabrice Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TDFX framebuffer driver with 2.4.2
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:54:57 +0000

Hi all,

I have recently got hold of 2.4.2 and built in the 3dfx frame buffer
driver (tdfx).
At startup, the kernel detects my V3 3000 AGP fine and switches to the
framebuffer driver (or so it says). The Tux logo appears in the upper
left corner and then everything works OK. So why do I post this message
if everything works OK, you ask ?

Well, first, when switching to fbdev, the console becomes white, the
logo
appears and as the kernel keeps printing messages, only the top of the
screen next to the logo remains white. This is ugly and I am wondering
if there is any way to prevent the console to go white in the first
place.
Also, is the position of the logo configurable ?

Second, I have experimented a bit with the "vga" parameter to change the
resolution. Again, this works OK until the kernel switches to fbdev and
resets to, hmmm, 640x480-something. Is this the normal behaviour ?

The fbset utility enables to change the console resolution to, say,
1024x768-8bpp, but that happens after startup. The (obsolete) man page
recommends to put "fbset" into my rc.local script (I am using RH6.2) but
this still means that the fbdev driver is intialised in 640x480. Is it
possible to get tdfx to start with whatever resolution I want ?

I had a look at linux-fbdev.org this morning but couldn't find any
information on that.
Any help/pointer appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
 Fabrice

--
"Anything that begins well will end badly."
        -- Pudder's Law

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selċsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASP 4 Linux?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:10:59 +0100

"Dances With Crows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:21:23 GMT, WME staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
> >Is there such a thing?
> >Please post only
>
> Apparently, you can get an implementation of ASP for Linux, but it
> requires that the code within the pages be written in something other
> than Visual Basick.  Search http://freshmeat.net/ for ASP.  Or have a
> look at asp2php, which converts ASP to PHP, which is IMO a better
> solution in the long term.  PHP runs everywhere, even under IIS, and the
> language itself contains many of the best elements of C and Perl.

There is also JSP (JavaServer Pages), atleast there are decent devlopent
tools  for JSP's/Servlet's.
which is not what i'd say about PHP.

------------------------------

From: Josef Moellers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:23:10 +0100

Bud Rogers wrote:
> =

> Josef Moellers wrote:
> =

> > Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> You're probably better off using ncftpget/ncftpput for doing
> >> stuff in a script.
> >
> > ... or look at the netrc concept. I've written a number of scripts th=
at
> > generate .netrc files on-the-fly and remove them when the access is
> > done.
> >
> =

> Expect was designed to handle tasks like that.
> =

>         http://expect.nist.gov

I know, but

        echo "machine Server" > ~/.netrc
        chmod 600 ~/.netrc
        echo "login josef" >> ~/.netrc
        echo "password mypassword" >> ~/.netrc
        echo "macdef init" >> ~/.netrc
        echo "cd /tmp" >> ~/.netrc
        echo "binary" >> ~/.netrc
        echo "put somefile.txt" >> ~/.netrc
        echo "bye" >> ~/.netrc
        ftp Server

is much shorter and faster. It doesn't handle error situations
gracefully, but then ...
-- =

Josef M=F6llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
                                                -- T.  Pratchett

------------------------------

From: Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Linux crash like a Windows!
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:34:37 -0100

Hi,

after installing a computer (Compaq Pentium 16 megs 1.5 gig) using
ZipSlack,
the kernel crash automatically when the /dev directory need to work

If I use the shell functionality for completing a file name in /dev or
do an LS in
/dev, the kernel crash and freeze with this output :

Unable to handle NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 000 0004

Current -> tss.cr3 = 0027 6000, %cr3 = 0027 6000
*pde = 0000 0000
Oops : 0
CPU : 0
EIP : 0010 : [<c012 bcda>]
EFLAGS : 0001 0007
eax : 0000 0000 ebx : c03a 7010 ecx : c003 c5e8 edx : 0000 0000
esi : c03a 700c edi : c03a 7010 ebp : 0000 0287 esp : c023 ff28
ds : 0018 es : 0018 ss: 0018
Process init (pid : 1, process nr : 1, stackpage = c023 f000)

Call Trace : [<c012 c055>] [<c012 c462>] [<c010 79b8>]
Code : 8b 42 04 39 d8 75 f7 89 4a 04 55 9d 8b 06 50 e8 4e 7e ff ff

=====
The ZipSlack version is 7.0 using the kernel 2.2.13

I recompiled the kernel, removing all SCSI drivers and others useless
options
for this computers. Crashes are same with the default or home compiled
kernel.

Thanks for your help

Jacques

From: J. Ganjs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: errno 145
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:57:06 +0100

Hi,

a program reports an errno of 145. Looking at  /usr/include/asm/errno.h, I see
that errno codes end at 125. How can I find the meaning of errno 145?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Newbie: Running On StartUp
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:10:11 GMT

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:30:07 -0000, Cyber Dog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>What's the necessary procedure for running a software program on a
> Linux-Mandrake 7.2 system when I log into my account? For example: I
> have AOL Instant Messenger installed on my account.  When I log in, I
> want the program to be run automatically, rather than me having to run
> /usr/local/bin/aim every time.  How can this be accomplished?  Thanks.

[ Note: you should set your news posting program to wrap text at about
60 columns. ]

When you login, the login program looks in /etc/passwd to find out
what shell it should give you (typically bash or csh, but could be
others).  Most shells will execute (read) a script file when started
by the login program, such as ~/.profile.  You will have to find out
what shell you are running, and then read the manpage to see what the
name of the startup script is.  Then you would edit that file to add
this running of the aim command (usually you will append).  You
probably should decide whether aim needs to run in the background (put
an ampersand at the end of the command) or not.  I've never used it.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:34:12 -0500

Rod Smith wrote (in part):

> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article <97bpqn$e0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         "Gregg Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I'm reading up on setting up linux, and it states that many will setup
> > separate partitions for /usr and /home besides ones swap space.  I would
> > like to ask you how you usually setup your partitioning.  I was a little bit
> > confused on it, for you at least need a mounting point of root.
> > Maybe I'm just not thinking about this correctly.  Any suggestions would be
> > appreciated!
>
> The drawback to creating multiple partitions is that it's hard to
> predict how large to make them. This is true of experienced users, but
> it's especially true for new users, who really have no idea how big
> these things should be.

I do not know how experienced I am, but after running R.H.L.5.0 for
a year, and R.H.L.6.0 for about two years, I wanted to install
R.H.L.6.2.3. I cannot be bothered to repartition any more often than
when doing an install. But it seems to me that after running any
release of Linux for a year, you should have a pretty good idea how
much stuff you need to put into any potential partition because you
already know what is in there (or you could find out with tools such
as df and du). It should not be difficult to estimate where the
growth areas might be. For example, /boot is unlikely to more than
double ever. / (if /usr, /home, /opt, /tmp, and /var and things like
that are removed) probably will not grow a whole lot. /opt and /home
would likely be large growth areas for home users. /tmp and /var
(for home users) probably need not be a large percentage of disk
space available and present useage patterns would likely remain the
same.

> Splitting off multiple partitions has several advantages, such as a
> reduced chance of problems should a runaway process create a too-large
> file and a reduced chance losing all your data in case of a filesystem
> problem. IMHO, these are all dwarfed for new users by the near certainty
> of getting partition sizes wrong, but those who know how big to make
> their partitions may prefer to split things up.

Also, if you make intensive use of your disk drive(s), and by
intensive use I mean that your system is frequently disk-IO limited,
you could put your partitions in the best possible order and, if you
have more than one hard drive, on the best possible hard drives, for
better performance. I have not done this, since when my machine is
too slow, it is compute-limited. And I am not really sure if that
would matter. If things were as bad as that, I would have to
consider faster drives (if available: mine are already 10,000 rpm
drives on Ultra-2 SCSI interface), more drives, and possibly (but
not likely) more SCSI controllers.

As I said, this does not seem to apply to my machine. I have run
test programs that achieve > 20 Megabyte/second IO rate through my
hard drives, but in the usual case, I seldom exceed 1
Megabyte/second, and 250 Kilobytes/second is more usual. And it is
not this slow because of all the delays for seeks (average seek
time: 5ms, average rotational latency time: 3ms), but because the
CPUs do not come up with the data fast enough.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crontab q?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:41:03 -0500

"Sudhakar R." wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me the format of the crontab file and someplace
> where i can rad more about scheduling jobs on RH 7.0

I like to put comments in mine to clarify this, though the man pages
should help out. Mine looks like this:

valinux:root[/home/db2inst1/stocks]# cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# M is minute to start:       00 - 59
# H is hour to start;         00 - 23
# D is day of month to start: 01 - 31
# m is month to start:        01 - 12 -- 01 is January, etc.
# d is day of week to start:  00 - 06 -- 00 is Sunday, etc.

# run-parts
# cron.daily is run Monday - Saturday.
# cron.weekly is run Sunday only.

# Do not start things from 01:00 to 02:59 because they will run
twice
# when the fall switch from daylight savings time to standard time
occurs,
# and may be skipped in the spring when 2:00 AM is skipped.

#M H          D m d   user  program   arguments
01 *          * * *   root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
18 4,10,16,22 * * *   root run-parts /etc/cron.4xdaily
03 1          * * 1-6 root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
03 3          * * 0   root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
17 4          1 * *   root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
valinux:root[/home/db2inst1/stocks]#

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 8:35am up 5 days, 16:09, 3 users, load average: 2.10, 2.10,
2.14

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: identd processes  -- what for?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:47:32 -0500

Stearns28 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are six or seven "identd -e -o" processes showed up on the output of "ps
> -ax".  What are those processes for? "man identd" says identd is for
> identifications purpose.  Is it an essential service?  Is it a security risk?

Bizarre.

It is useful for sendmail, though not usually vital. It is probably
not a security risk, but mine is setup so that only a few systems
(in /etc/hosts.allow) can use it, just in case (my other machine on
my LAN, and my ISP).

Mine is not started as a daemon (I see no use to do that). It is run
only as needed, and since my machine is really mostly a desktop,
that is only a few times per day (when I am sending e-mail through
my ISP to someone on the Internet).

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 8:40am up 5 days, 16:14, 3 users, load average: 2.25, 2.16,
2.15

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gain root access automatically in runlevel 4
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:49:42 -0500

Fung Wai Keung wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am developing a kiosk system with touchscreen monitor using Linux.
> The system will not have a keyboard for user input.  My program needs root
> access to be run.  I set the system to boot to runlevel 4.  However, my
> program doesn't run.  Is there any way to gain root access automatically
> (without typing root password with keyboard) when the system boot up?

You could give your program to root and have the setuid bit on.

You might wish to redesign your program, and any data files it uses,
so that it does not need root permission, in order to reduce the
security risks of running as root.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 8:45am up 5 days, 16:19, 3 users, load average: 2.06, 2.09,
2.11