From: "FREDRIK LINDSTRÖM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Help with Eicon Diva T/A ISDN Modem Installation
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:13:30 +0100

Hi Folks!

Wants to use my ISDN modem in RH7.0 but I am soon giving up. At the moment I
use an ordinary modem and there is no problem.

Tried KPPP and minicom but I can not dial. If someone has a clue to solve
this problem please let me know.

Ps: It works nice in Windoze

Fredrik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:12:19 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:16:34 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Paul Lew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Guess there is a difference between libc 2.1 and 2.2 but what is the
>> relation with libc 5 or libc 6 ??
>
>Both are versions of libc 6 (i.e. glibc2 is also known as libc 6).
>2.1 is the stable release series.
>
>> The more I get into linux the more I drown.....
>
>Why don't you ask us what is the relation with libc 4? Or 3 :-)?

Becuz....only saw that the software (for akeia?) had the packages for
2.1, 2.2, 5, 6....just hope someone doesn't provide packages for all the
libc versions.....

but someone is bound to just to get some of us to bang our heads :)...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve)
Subject: Re: data recover after mkfs
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:22:41 -0000

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:25:31 GMT, Adriano Algeri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was installing a new hdd on my PC. After partitioning instead to issue
>the command mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdc2 i wrote mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda2. I've
>created a brand new
>filesystem on my data partion. This partition was unmounted so no
>warning from mkfs.
>Very big and stupid mistake!
>Is there any way to recover data from old hd partition ?
>
>thanx a lot.
>Adriano Algeri [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can't answer your question, sorry, but I think it should be possible to
get some of it back, so long as you haven't overwritten it. I'm speculating
that mkfs re-writes the partition table only, in which case you should be
able to access the disk with some low-level tools that don't rely on this.
I had a disk failure a few years back and asked for help in recovering data,
I got some responses, but don't recall specifics. Back-ups are of course the
best way to recover data, so if you weren't doing them, you should think
about it seriously. hold out and you'll probably get a more knowledgeable
response about disk recovery.

--
Steve S.

yubdub
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
remove CLOTHES before replying

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Resume problems with APM on laptop
Date: 26 Feb 2001 08:28:14 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesse Sheidlower) wrote:
>I'm running RedHat 7.0 on a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. I'm having
>problems with APM, no doubt caused by my relative ignorance of
>Linux, and I'm hoping someone could set me straight.
>
>If I suspend by typing apm -s (which I can only do as root),
>hitting the power key to resume brings me back to my login screen,
>rather than to the session I left. If I suspend by shutting the
>cover, then resuming brings me to a console login window (rather
>than the X login from apm -s). Neither of these is particularly
>useful, since of course I'd like to be able to do something,
>whether shutting the cover or typing some command, that will allow
>me to start working from where I left off; otherwise it's not
>terribly useful having a laptop.

Never seen that behavior, but try different settings in the kernel compile
in the apm section.

------------------------------

From: "FREDRIK LINDSTRÖM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q] How do I boot without a keyboard connected?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:28:31 +0100

Hi Rudy!

You can buy a dummy plugg in a good computer shop. I used to my server in
the garage.

:-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:27:03 +0100

> Just redirect stderr on to stdout before piping it to tee, eg:
>
> find . 2>&1 | tee foo

Well ive tried this on AIX 4.x, using ksh:

cat thisfiledoesnotexist 2>&1 | tee -a logfile

and...

stderr still goes to the screen (the cat error message, complaining it cant
find the file), but *not* to the logfile...
huh ?

Does this mean ive found a bug... errr feature ? Or am I screwing up in
there somehow?

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abuse, step by step
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:30:08 -0000

I am still having trouble opening programs. Can anybody walk me through
step by step on how to run abuse on a:
Celeron 300a
Red Hat 7 (workstation install)
KDE

The readme is not helping me.

Thanks,

James

From: Deepan Patel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help installing DigiBoard!!!
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:30:08 -0000

You have the right drivers, but also download the script that DIGI has out
there. It will make the installation much easier for you. If you like I'll
be glad to email you or give you the location of the script files.

Deepan

Paul M. Hanson wrote:

>   Hello I have a Digiboard 16em that I am trying to install on Red Hat
Linux
> 7.0 - the host board is EISA.
>   I downloaded the .rpm for this board from
> http://support.digi.com/support/legacy/digi/drivers/4001450K.rpm which
they
> say is the last driver to support EISA.  The package name of this driver
is
> 'epca-1.4.3.3-1'.  It also says that it is for upto kernel 2.2.14 and Red
> Hat 6.1, but I think that it is because it was what was current when it
was
> created.  I have the 2.2.16 kernel on Red Hat 7.0, so it *should* work
> right?
>   Well, after creating a 'src' group and then running 'rpm -i
4001450K.rpm'
> it puts all of the source files where they need to go and starts the
> configuration script.  Everything seems fine there except that it asks
for
> an I/O address to use (1005,2005,3005,4005,6005,7005).  But there is
nothing
> about setting an I/O address for this board when the board was added to
the
> system via the system EISA configuration.
>   So, I tried using all values, but I get an error when it tries to load
> the board.  And when I try I/O addresses 3005 and 7005, the configuration
> script hangs when it tries to load to the board.
>
>   Has anyone been able to get the DigiBoard 16em EISA board to work with
Red

From: Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Xf86 4.0.x Nvidia drivers TNT PCI
Date: 26 Feb 2001 17:23:16 +0100

"Nordseeklinik Borkum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi there

Hi,

> I have a GA 586 HX running an K6-3, with a RIVA TNT 1 card, sitting on my
> PCI bus. My kernel is 2.4.1, i downloaded the NVIDIA Kernel and GLX Package
> from www.nvidia.com, version 0.9-6. Compiled and installed and inserted the
> module NVdriver, as the NVIDIA people have writen in theri FAQs etc. The
> librarys and modules are correctly installed, too. Twice and more times I ve
> redone this. When I use the nv driver everythink works except 3d, but with
> the nvidia driver nothing works. X starts and immidieatly exits back to text
> mode saying : "could not open device /dev/nvidia0, errno 1024"

Are you sure, the module is loaded?
You could try to add the following to /etc/modules.conf:
alias char-major-195 NVdriver

HTH,

Stefan

--
Send mail with subject 'get gpgkey' to recieve gpg-public-key

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: how to change root password
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:38:01 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:14:15 -0500, richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>--------------4E21426188759AE69A90B070
>
>Referring to my previous post, I found tomsbrt rescue disk and that
>works fine. Now, in my /etc/password file, I have the line
>root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
>I have to edit this so root does not have a password upon reboot from
>the hard drive. One reference says to enter
>root::0:0:root:/:/bin/sh. Is this correct since there are some not so
>subtle differences between the two lines.

It helps if you understand what the /etc/passwd file contains...

There is a line for each user (uid) defined to the system.
Each line consists of 7 fields, seperated by colons.
The fields are (from left to right)
  Username
  Encrypted Password
  UID
  GID
  GECOS (additional descriptive information)
  home directory
  login shell

The Encrypted Password field can contain
  an encrypted password, or
  an unacceptable password character, or
  nothing
If an encrypted password is found, then password validation is
performed against it. If an unacceptable password character is found
(i.e. 'x' or '*', etc) alternate password management is invoked (and
if that fails, the id is locked out from logon). Finally, if no
password is given, then the user can log on without a password.

Interpreting your original passwd entry
  root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
we get
  Username:  'root'
  Password:  alternate password authentication
  UID:       0
  GID:       0
  GECOS:     'root'
  Home:      /root
  Shell:     /bin/bash

To make this user "passwordless", you would delete the password
component only, giving an entry of
  root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

On the other hand, your alternate entry
  root::0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
can be interpreted as
  Username:  'root'
  Password:  no password authentication
  UID:       0
  GID:       0
  GECOS:     'root'
  Home:      /
  Shell:     /bin/sh

which has not only removed the password, but has changed root's home
directory to / (the root directory), and has changed his shell to
/bin/sh.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Wang)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:38:01 GMT

>> Is there any way to do this?
>
>Maybe this?
>
>    ./command 2>&1 | tee logfile
>
>(merges stdout and stderr before the pipe)

This does not satisfy the reqirement if I read it literally
because it also redirect the the stdout to the logfile.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:41:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>>>I've always found minicom pretty useful; essentially a "Unix version
>>>of Telix," for those that remember the IBM BBS days...
>
>> For me, changing configuration (baud rate, serial port, etc.) often seems to
>> have no effect unless it's absolutely the first thing you do when you start
>
>Works fine here. But it affects only the computer to modem speed, which
>should be left at whatever it is anyway. The communications speed is up
>to the modems.

What modems?  I never mentioned modems.

>> the program.  I don't know how many hours of time I wasted because minicom
>> didn't have the baud rate set to the value it claimed it did.  I never got
>
>Eh? Baud rate is not a value that has any meaning in a terminal
>program,

Huh?  It's _supposed_ to set the serial port baud rate.  What
else would it do?  (Though it doesn't seem to work if you do it
in the middle of a session.)

>except as a limit on what the modems will attempt to communicate.

I'm not using modems.

>> sending a file to work either -- the end of the file always gets chopped
>> off.
>
>This is nothing to do with minicom. It uses whatever external
>program you set it to use for transfers.

It's some program that's part of minicom.

>rz/sz always worked fien for me, but you can set it to use
>kemit if you like!

I was trying to send files "raw" using the send program that is
part of the minicom package.  It's broken.

>Eh? They can do whatever they like.

Not on my copy.

When I try to change serial ports I get this:

    lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
    x A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyR15                               x
    x B - Lockfile Location     : /var/lock                                 x
    x C -   Callin Program      :                                           x
    x D -  Calllqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk          x
    x E -    Bpx                                                 x          x
    x F - Hardwx  You are not allowed to change this parameter   x          x
    x G - Softwx                                                 x          x
    x          mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj          x
    x    Change which setting?                                              x
    mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
            x Screen and keyboard      x
            x Save setup as dfl        x
            x Save setup as..          x
            x Exit                     x
            mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

Apparently the author of minicom knows better than I do what
users on my computer should be allowed to do.  The mode bits on
the serial devices are set to values appropriate for my system
and its uses.  Minicom shouldn't be imposing it's opinion on
what users are allowed to do and not allowed to do.

>> values.  Apparently the author of minicom was unaware that the
>> serial port device files have mode bits, and thus one should
>> leave privilege decisions up to the OS.
>
>I beg your pardon?  Are you talking about paths and so on? What
>configuration values? The name of the modem device file?

You seem pre-occupied with modems (as is minicom).  I don't use
modems.  Unless you count my Cisco 675 DSL modem/router.

>The lock file? Those are all admin issues.

They _should_ be admin issues.  Unfortunately minicom thinks
_it_ is the admin and not me.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!
                                  at               TAILFINS!!... click...

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:32:59 +0000

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:55:25 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "jtnews"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Who cares about politics or government? As far as I'm concerned most of
> > the world governments impose high taxes and do much more than they
> > should do "for the people". Everything except law enforcement and the
> > military should be privatized and out of government hands.  Then maybe
> > things will get better.
>

> I disagree. What about the welfare state? Safety critical public services
> (eg Air traffic control*) etc?
>

> * This is more of a problem in the UK than the US since the skies are
> much more crowded due to a rather smaller quantity of it.

And they're going to privatise it, despite

a) having condemned air privatisation while in opposition,

and

b) having not learned a single lesson of the rail privatisation fiasco.

Geez

You have added or changed your signature.

Your signature server will now reboot so that
the changes will take effect.

------------------------------

From: "J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:51:42 +0100

> This does not satisfy the reqirement if I read it literally
> because it also redirect the the stdout to the logfile.

Sorry if my english is a little rough around the edges, but...

BOTH stdout AND stderr had to go to the logfile AND to the screen, yes.

Sorry if my previous post was unclear about that.

But when I try this on AIX 4.x, using ksh, like:

From: Frederick Bartlett <fbartlett'ignore'@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: tar from date (-N, --newer, --after-date)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:48:17 GMT

Thanks, but that has the same result: It gives me all the files. Here's
the output of
  tar -tvf test.tar
after running
  tar -cvf test.tar . --newer 02/23/01

I'm still baffled ....

For the record, I'm running bash under RH 7.0, kernel 2.2-16.

drwxr-xr-x FredB/FredB       0 2001-02-26 11:47:13 ./
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 1533354 2001-02-22 15:41:18 ./00128.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 1987650 2001-02-22 15:51:32 ./00128.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  182138 2001-02-22 13:19:32 ./00145.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  201900 2001-02-22 13:25:08 ./00145.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  123993 2001-02-26 00:04:28 ./00164.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  136515 2001-02-26 00:04:28 ./00164.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 2663495 2001-02-22 16:12:14 ./00223.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 3079544 2001-02-22 19:28:30 ./00223.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  345545 2001-02-22 22:21:10 ./00224.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  387244 2001-02-22 22:23:38 ./00224.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 2212268 2001-02-22 22:32:54 ./00232.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 2482508 2001-02-22 22:33:44 ./00232.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  191486 2001-02-22 22:49:38 ./00233.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB  209989 2001-02-22 22:49:38 ./00233.xml
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 2322770 2001-02-22 22:53:02 ./00239.txt
-rw-r--r-- FredB/FredB 2656090 2001-02-22 22:53:44 ./00239.xml

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel 4.1 upgrade - fail to boot again
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:49:08 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Scot Mc Pherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry for the silly question, but why are you using a development revision
> that is older than the latest stable release??

Possibly for stability

> You should be using 2.4.2, yes?

No? What makes you think newer = better? Maybe it doesn't fix his bugs
and gives him some new ones. Maybe it fixes his bugs. It's all maybe.
The balance of probabilities is about 50/50.

> "bart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> right but when I try to boot with the new
>> kernel it complains that it can't mount the root filesystem ...  !

Some nitwit/he didn't compile support for the root filesystem or device
into the kernel. What's so surprising?

>> Compiled using make zBimage

Wahoo.

>> I just copied the lilo entry for the 2.2.14 kernel ... where the root
>> should be exactly the same as before, activated this
>> by invoking lilo ... but it doesn't work.   Linux boots but fails with a
>> panic since it can't mount the root filesystem.
>> Did I forget something ?

No, it looks like he didn't think, not didn't remember.