From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Introduction to Linux Class, Davis, March 5th
Crossposted-To: ucd.general,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club,sac.announce,sac.general
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:13:49 GMT

The Davis Community Network (DCN) will hold an
"Introduction to Linux" class, presented by
the Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD).

  Monday
  March 5th, 2001
  5:30pm - 7:00pm

The class will be held at:

  City of Davis Computer Labs
  (Near City Hall)
  600 A Street
  Davis, CA 95616

Linux is a free "alternative" computer operating system
which is becoming increasingly popular in the server,
desktop and embeded environments.

Linux, and much of the software available for Linux are
known as "Open Source" products.

Open Source software is released under a license which grants:

  * free (gratis; free as in price)
    distribution of software, and

  * free access (libre; free as in speech)
    to the code behind the software

The class will be most likely be hands-on use of
PCs running Linux, and instructed by members of LUGOD.

The class is free, however space is limited.
To sign up, please visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/projects/class/

LUGOD is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
Linux Operating System, and which holds regular meetings,
workshops, demonstrations and other events in Davis, CA.

Please visit our website for more information:

  http://www.lugod.org/

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LOCAL: Linux Demo in Davis, March 10th
Crossposted-To: ucd.general,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club,sac.announce,sac.general
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:22:37 GMT

LUGOD, The Linux Users' Group of Davis, will be holding a Linux demonstration:

  Saturday
  March 10th, 2001
  2:00pm - 5:00pm

The demonstration will be held at:

  Borders Books and Music
  500 1st Street
  Davis, CA 95616

Drop by to see Linux in action, try it out for yourself, and ask questions
and learn more about this awesome free operating system and our humble
users' group!

For details, visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/projects/demo/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Abuse, step by step
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:13:28 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] did eloquently scribble:
> I am still having trouble opening programs. Can anybody walk me through
> step by step on how to run abuse on a:
> Celeron 300a
> Red Hat 7 (workstation install)
> KDE

> The readme is not helping me.

Is abuse the really rather nice platform shoot em up?
I had trouble with that in SuSE 6.2 as well, but fiddled around and got it
to work...

Can't remember how though, so you'll have to help us all out with a few
tidbits of information...

What error messages do you get when you start it?

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: amila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xwindow
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 02:30:06 -0000

k, thanx for your help but it doesn't seem to work at all.
i installed corel and works fine... i think i'll stick with that.

thanx though for the help!

From: Murphy Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: ipchains
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:23:08 +0800

==============8DCA8D3B96149F1139819DAB

I have set up ipchains to deny all port coming into my linux pc.
However, when I sendmail or lpr a file, the mailserver and print server
will return TCP messages through ports from 1025 to 11xx.  So, how
should I set the rules to allow connections to the mailserver and print
server?  Thanks.

==============8DCA8D3B96149F1139819DAB

begin:vcard
n:Wong;Murphy
tel;fax:+852-2517-7194
tel;work:+852-2241-5669
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:HKU;CITE
adr:;;Rm 110, Runme Shaw Building, CITE, HKU;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Computer Officer
end:vcard

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: more help needed with changing root password
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:31:37 -0500

richard noel fell wrote:

> Possibly. How do I edit /etc/shadow? The file is not readable by
> emacs, for instance.

The file IS readable by emacs, vi, or whatever your favorite text
editor might be. It is readable and writable only by the super-user.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Date: 26 Feb 2001 20:20:02 -0600

  Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on 25 Feb 2001 16:29:02 -0900, wrote :

FD> Hence, while it is possible to get / or /usr partitions too
FD> small, they will be too small to even install the first time if
FD> that is true.  If those partitions are large enough to actually
FD> manage a functional install to begin with, they *never* require
FD> resizing.

Except when you upgrade from a 'lean' distro to a 'fat' distro...

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION **
             http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting global environment variables
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:35:51 -0500

Mladen Gavrilovic wrote:

> > not at runtime AFAIK, but if you add that command to /etc/profile then it
> > will work for every new shell.
> >
> yeah, I added it to profile already... I was just wondering if there was
> a way to test it without rebooting... oh well, here I go again <click>

You do not need to reboot; that is a Microsoft error from which Linux
does not (usually) suffer.

If you change /etc/profile (or your ~/.bash_profile), it suffices to
logout and log back in again.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 9:30pm up 5:29, 3 users, load average: 2.01, 2.04, 2.00

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: ipchains
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:39:16 +1100

Hi Murphy,

> I have set up ipchains to deny all port coming into my linux pc.
> However, when I sendmail or lpr a file, the mailserver and print server
> will return TCP messages through ports from 1025 to 11xx.  So, how
> should I set the rules to allow connections to the mailserver and print
> server?  Thanks.

Some firewalls actually allow access to the higher ports, for instance:

/sbin/ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d <WhatEverIP> or <Network> 1025:
-j ACCEPT

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: Murphy Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:49:16 +0800

==============9B6FF2487C4B01125DB9C05A

Well, everytime the print/mail request is coming from different ports.  So, if I
open the upper ports, say from 1025 to 6000, does it means that I lost the purpose
of secure my pc from others' access?

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:01:48 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xfree86 problems

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> I just converted my whole system to Reiserfs ( except for /boot).
> The way I accomplished this was to tar gzip each partition and
> then reformat that partition, and untar ungzip the partition back.
> The problem is that everything seems to work. I manage to boot
> runlevel 3 fine. The one problem that I have is when I try to start X.
> At which point the system hangs and I have to reboot.
> Is there some way I can start configuring the system from scratch
> ( which would be the simplest way to fix things )?
>
> The way the system hangs is this.
> The screen goes blank, nothing comes up, and I can still telnet into
> the system.
> I wonder if what is happening is that a window manager is not being
> started.
> Any idea?
> TIA

switch back to the console u started X from (using CTL+ALT+Fx) to see if
any error messages are reported that u woudlnt normally see b/c u would
be seeing X related stuff on screen.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:03:06 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to play .mp3 files on Linux Mandrake?

Gaurav Navlakha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried using Xmms, but when I select an mp3 file to play, it spits out
> the following message:
>
> Please check that:
> 1. You have the correct output plugin selected
> 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
>
> Anyone has a clue as to what the problem might be? My soundcard is good
> with windows. And I have no other programs accessing the sound card open
> (afaik)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gaurav.

u want to tell us what driveer XMMS is configured to use currently? ESD?
OSS? whcih one?

------------------------------

From: "Charles E Taylor IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Home Theater Box
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:02:57 -0500

In article <RHCm6.42960$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Greg"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an old p200 that I want to make into a home theater box.

[snips]

> What do you think that the best MPEG player would be for this
> application (I usually run redhat)?

I've made an MP3 machine out of a low-spec box (DEC Multia/Alpha 166),
and it seemed that the best MP3 player for the job was mpg123 with the
GQmpeg front-end.  It was easy to use on the 640x480 output to the
television and easy to control with the cordless keyboard or mouse.

At the time, XMMS was a bit CPU-heavy to use.  It might be different now.
By the way, I had the Multia ethernetted to my main machine, which was
used as an mp3 server.

--
Charles E. Taylor, IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:00:16 +1100

Hi!,

> Well, everytime the print/mail request is coming from different ports.  So,
> if I open the upper ports, say from 1025 to 6000, does it means that I lost
> the purpose of secure my pc from others' access?

Providing that you have no services running in these high ports there
shouldn't be a problem, although you will have to be careful about the "rpc"
services as they hide on the higher ports.  If you can identify a range that
the ports are using it would probably better than opening them all up, but
sometimes it is really hard to know what service is going to use what unpriv
port.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+

From: Jean-Michel Grimaldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ascii-art Tux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:01:03 +0100

Hello,

Due to a crashdisk, I lost an html document figuring Tux, the linux
penguin, drawn in ASCII-art.
In fact the text was from the kernel sources, and only the color of the
letters made the penguin appear.

Does anybody know the page I am talking about ?
If yes could you please tell me where to get it ?

Thanks a lot,

--
JM

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.devel,linux.dev.misc
From: Francis Litterio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting proc fs to /mnt/root/proc ?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:11:56 GMT

Matej Kenda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
>
> > How about a symbolic link?
>
> I can't use it because I will do chroot on /mnt/root and old root will become
> invisible.

This works on my RH6.2 system:

        # mkdir /mnt/root
        # mount -t proc proc /mnt/root
--
Francis Litterio
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: data recover after mkfs
Date: 27 Feb 2001 03:14:21 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:22:41 -0000, steve staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:25:31 GMT, Adriano Algeri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>I was installing a new hdd on my PC. After partitioning instead to
>>issue the command mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdc2 i wrote mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda2.
>>I've created a brand new filesystem on my data partion. This partition
>>was unmounted so no warning from mkfs.  Is there any way to recover
>>data from old hd partition ?
>
>I can't answer your question, sorry, but I think it should be possible
>to get some of it back, so long as you haven't overwritten it. I'm
>speculating that mkfs re-writes the partition table only, in which case
>you should be able to access the disk with some low-level tools that

mkfs.ext2 rewrites the superblock, the block group information, and the
inode tables on a partition.  If mkfs.ext2 was called with *EXACTLY* the
same options the second time (same block size, sparse_super set the
same) then a large portion of the data will still be there, just with no
organization to it at all.  If mkfs.ext2 was called with a different
block size (4096 vs. 1024) then forget it.

mkfs-ing a raw partition is like building a filing cabinet.  mkfs-ing a
partition that already has a filesystem on it is like taking the filing
cabinet and dumping its contents into a huge trash bin.  If you have
text you need to rescue, you may be able to recover it by using grep on
the raw device.  If you have binaries, in particular multi-megabyte
files consisting of compressed data (mp3s, JPEGs, tarballs...) then it
will be close to impossible.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Subject: Re: Ascii-art Tux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:27:14 GMT

* Jean-Michel Grimaldi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Due to a crashdisk, I lost an html document figuring Tux, the linux
> penguin, drawn in ASCII-art.
> In fact the text was from the kernel sources, and only the color of the
> letters made the penguin appear.
>
> Does anybody know the page I am talking about ?

I remember having seen something similar made with png2html, which is
availbel on freshmeat, I think.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

http://usvms.gpo.gov/findings_index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davis Eric)
Subject: ncurses with gdb??
Date: 27 Feb 2001 04:38:05 +0100

Hi, there,

I have a question on how to debug a ncurses program
using gdb.

I used "tty /dev/output_term_name" in gdb and then go
to "output_term" to let it "sleep 1000". Then I
returned to gdb to "run". But I always got
"Program received signal SIGTTIN, Stopped (tty input).
0xff318d4c in _libc_read ()" whenever I want to input
something in the terminal which will display the
windows.

What is the reason for this? What is the correct way
to debug ncurses programs with gdb?

Thanks for advice.

Davis

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

--
Posted from web10706.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.130.214]