From: "Barbadega" <Steve@Healthline<nospam>.co.nz>
Subject: Newbie and .gz files.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:14:10 +1300

Hi, I am reading the Apache HOWTO on RedHat's site.

It says to install the Apache RPM.
I have downloaded : apache_1_3_17.tar.gz
I think this is compressed... How do I de-compress it? Will the RPM be
inside?

Thanks in advance

SB

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:05:13 +0100

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   In a message on 25 Feb 2001 16:29:02 -0900, wrote :

> FD> Hence, while it is possible to get / or /usr partitions too
> FD> small, they will be too small to even install the first time if
> FD> that is true.  If those partitions are large enough to actually
> FD> manage a functional install to begin with, they *never* require
> FD> resizing.

> Except when you upgrade from a 'lean' distro to a 'fat' distro...

They don't need changing then either. Other partitions can be mounted
at appropriate points. /opt /usr/share /usr/X11R6 /usr/src
(and /usr/local stuff) are all useful slices of the cake. I also
have a /usr/dist for stuff that is common across many machines,
exported by nfs.

But I'd probably just resize. It's no trouble with parted, or just
mess happily with raid and lvm.

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:12:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (ignorance is NOT a good reason for doing something ..=)

> If you don't know, then plainly you should go and find out. Check the
> HOWTO.

There's nothing wrong with what he said and most will agree.  Besides,
that HOWTO is intended for servers and multi-user systems, not casual
home users.

With all the distros and their races to pump out whatever is not bleeding
edge (and even then that's not out of the question), plus the incredibly
fast and easy installs, it's not worth the time or effort to lay out several
partitions.  With the exception of /home and /boot (if you suffer from the
1024 cylinder problem), / and swap can get you by just fine.  In 6+ years
of use, this was all I ever needed.  I've screwed around with different
partitioning schemes and found it to be a waste when I am the only user.

Unless you actually take the time to perform backups and carry out true
administrative measures regarding your box and several partitions, then it's
all for naught.  I am willing to bet that less than half of those who actually
feel compelled to use any of the partitioning schemes described in the HOWTO
never back up anything except their personal user files.  If you're going to
apply the concepts of the Partitioning HOWTO, then make damn sure you take
heed of the Backup HOWTO and the SAG so you truly understand why you're
doing what you're doing and if you really, truly need it.

I'm not trying to slam anyone, but I think it's pretty unfair to call
someone ignorant about an issue when there's no supporting reason behind
it, especially when there are quite a few posts here countering it.

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: Newbie and .gz files.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:19:43 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:14:10 +1300, Barbadega wrote:
>Hi, I am reading the Apache HOWTO on RedHat's site.
>
>It says to install the Apache RPM.
>I have downloaded : apache_1_3_17.tar.gz
>I think this is compressed... How do I de-compress it? Will the RPM be
>inside?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>SB

That's probably the source code to apache, which will need to be compiled
- at least I've never seen compressed rpms or debs.  The file is indeed
compressed, and tarred.  You can do it in one fell swoop with:

`tar zxf <filename>`

HTH
-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: "Barbadega" <Steve@Healthline<nospam>.co.nz>
Subject: gnome - desktop resolution
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:22:30 +1300

Where is the setting to adjust the resolution of my desktop in gnome?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Ascii-art Tux
Date: 27 Feb 2001 04:10:49 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:01:03 +0100, Jean-Michel Grimaldi wrote:

 >Due to a crashdisk, I lost an html document figuring Tux, the linux
 >penguin, drawn in ASCII-art.
 >In fact the text was from the kernel sources, and only the color of the
 >letters made the penguin appear.
 >
 >Does anybody know the page I am talking about ?
 >If yes could you please tell me where to get it ?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/things/340a.html

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:18:51 +0100

Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> For me, changing configuration (baud rate, serial port, etc.) often seems to
>>> have no effect unless it's absolutely the first thing you do when you start
>>
>>Works fine here. But it affects only the computer to modem speed, which
>>should be left at whatever it is anyway. The communications speed is up
>>to the modems.

> What modems?  I never mentioned modems.

Are you saying that you are using minicom as a terminal to a serial
line login on a server? Olease don't tell me so.

>>Eh? Baud rate is not a value that has any meaning in a terminal
>>program,

> Huh?  It's _supposed_ to set the serial port baud rate.  What

Which usually is worth nothing ...

> else would it do?  (Though it doesn't seem to work if you do it
> in the middle of a session.)

>>except as a limit on what the modems will attempt to communicate.

> I'm not using modems.

Remind me to unbuy a modem. What's the point of connecting two
computers across a serial line these days, when you could use a
$5 network card? (that's how much the second hand 3c509b's I just
bought cost).

>>> sending a file to work either -- the end of the file always gets chopped
>>> off.
>>
>>This is nothing to do with minicom. It uses whatever external
>>program you set it to use for transfers.

> It's some program that's part of minicom.

No, it's no part of minicom. It's the rz/sz suite usually, and/or
kermit, also usually.

>>rz/sz always worked fien for me, but you can set it to use
>>kermit if you like!

> I was trying to send files "raw" using the send program that is
> part of the minicom package.  It's broken.

I've never met or heard of such a thing. This is the minicom menu I
have:

A  zmodem     /usr/bin/sz -vv -b              Y    U    N       Y
B  ymodem     /usr/bin/sb -vv                 Y    U    N       Y
C  xmodem     /usr/bin/sx -vv                 Y    U    N       Y
D  zmodem     /usr/bin/rz -vv -b -E           N    D    N
E  ymodem     /usr/bin/rb -vv                 N    D    N
F  xmodem     /usr/bin/rx -vv                 Y    D    N
G  kermit     /usr/bin/kermit -i -l %l -s     Y    U    Y
H kermit     /usr/bin/kermit -i -l %l -r     N    D    Y
I  ascii      /usr/bin/ascii-xfr -dsv         Y    U    N
J    -

>>Eh? They can do whatever they like.

> Not on my copy.

> When I try to change serial ports I get this:

You can't change serial ports. You need the admin to set up a config
for each serial port that wants to be accessible.

>     lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
>     x A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyR15                               x
>     x B - Lockfile Location     : /var/lock                                 x
>     x C -   Callin Program      :                                           x
>     x D -  Calllqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk          x
>     x E -    Bpx                                                 x          x
>     x F - Hardwx  You are not allowed to change this parameter   x          x
>     x G - Softwx                                                 x          x
>     x          mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj          x
>     x    Change which setting?                                              x
>     mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
>             x Screen and keyboard      x
>             x Save setup as dfl        x
>             x Save setup as..          x
>             x Exit                     x
>             mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
>

> Apparently the author of minicom knows better than I do what
> users on my computer should be allowed to do.  The mode bits on

No. You can allow any and all of them to use the devices. Just set up a
config for them.

> the serial devices are set to values appropriate for my system
> and its uses.  Minicom shouldn't be imposing it's opinion on
> what users are allowed to do and not allowed to do.

I don't understand you: it doesn't, you do. If you choose not to make a
config for each serial device on your system, that is your decision,
not minicoms.

>>I beg your pardon?  Are you talking about paths and so on? What
>>configuration values? The name of the modem device file?

> You seem pre-occupied with modems (as is minicom).  I don't use
> modems.  Unless you count my Cisco 675 DSL modem/router.

That's a red herring.

>>The lock file? Those are all admin issues.

> They _should_ be admin issues.  Unfortunately minicom thinks
> _it_ is the admin and not me.

No, you are: You tell minicom which are the lock files and devices
for a particular config. These configs are usually called ttyS0, ttyS1,
and so on, in reference to the canonical name of the intended serial
device, but they can be called anything.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 27 Feb 2001 04:30:17 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:14:10 +1300, Barbadega staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>Hi, I am reading the Apache HOWTO on RedHat's site.
>
>It says to install the Apache RPM.
>I have downloaded : apache_1_3_17.tar.gz
>I think this is compressed... How do I de-compress it? Will the RPM be
>inside?

This is what's known as a "tarball", which is a single compressed file
that contains many other files, sort of like a ZIP archive.  It is not
an RPM, but a source archive.  RPMs are also compressed files that
contain many other files, but RPMs contain binary executables while most
tarballs contain nothing more than ASCII text.

You decompress, build, then install software from tarballs using the
following series of commands:

tar xvzf apache_1_3_17.tar.gz
cd apache-1.3.17            (or whatever dir got created)
ls                          (not really necessary, but often useful)
less INSTALL README* FAQ    (anything else that looks relevant)
./configure --help | more   (read this.)
./configure [[add the options you want]]
make
su -c "make install"        (installs, requires root password)

This is a generalized procedure that can be followed with most any
tarball; it's more complex than using RPMs but can be tuned very
precisely for your system and your needs.  Also has fewer dependency
headaches.  HTH, welcome to Linux....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Barbadega" <Steve@Healthline<nospam>.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:41:21 +1300

Thanks for your help..   I managed to install Apache without any problems.
Just had to do a bit more reading....SB

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Barbadega" <Steve@Healthline<nospam>.co.nz>
Subject: Re: gnome - desktop resolution
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:41:42 +1300

Oh, I found it: Xconfigurator....

Nevermind..SB
news:fYFm6.268$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:39:26 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Greg H. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> (ignorance is NOT a good reason for doing something ..=)

>> If you don't know, then plainly you should go and find out. Check the
>> HOWTO.

> There's nothing wrong with what he said and most will agree.  Besides,

No, some will agree. And there is plenty wrong with what he said. For
one thing, it's only relevant to relatively lazy people who don't care
about the condition of their disk, its recoverability, or a mound of
other considerations that are discussed in the HOWTO ...

> that HOWTO is intended for servers and multi-user systems, not casual

Nonsense. It tells you about the issues.

> home users.

> With all the distros and their races to pump out whatever is not bleeding
> edge (and even then that's not out of the question), plus the incredibly
> fast and easy installs, it's not worth the time or effort to lay out several

Nonsense nonsense nonsense. I suppose I don't have the time and effort
to partition my debian slackware suse and redhat machines, eh? I mean,
I only have about a couple of hundred of them ...

> partitions.  With the exception of /home and /boot (if you suffer from the
> 1024 cylinder problem), / and swap can get you by just fine.  In 6+ years

EExcept that /var will be on your /root and/or /home partition, which
is an error of truly monumental proportions in either case.

> of use, this was all I ever needed.  I've screwed around with different
> partitioning schemes and found it to be a waste when I am the only user.

Which is not the situation EVER in a multitasking o/s. Don't try and
apply dos/windows logic. You are NOT the only user on your disk, even
if you are the only user in your house.

> Unless you actually take the time to perform backups and carry out true

Like everyone.

> administrative measures regarding your box and several partitions, then it's
> all for naught.  I am willing to bet that less than half of those who actually
> feel compelled to use any of the partitioning schemes described in the HOWTO
> never back up anything except their personal user files.  If you're going to

Why would they back up anything else except that and /etc and parts of /var?
I don't! The rest just comes from a distro, which is replacable. This
is not the problem. The problem is when your machine breaks, which it
will do at frequencies of about once every three months to once every
two years, depending on luck or circumstance.

> apply the concepts of the Partitioning HOWTO, then make damn sure you take
> heed of the Backup HOWTO and the SAG so you truly understand why you're
> doing what you're doing and if you really, truly need it.

Backup questions are orthogonal. Look .. the issue is whether you think
that having rooms in your house is a good thing or not. Sure, it saves
all kinds of thinking and planning if you don't have internal walls,
and it avoids the problem of not being able to fit the sofa in the
small room. But do you really want to cook in the living room? If not,
why not? What's wrong with washing your clothes in the bedroom?

> I'm not trying to slam anyone, but I think it's pretty unfair to call
> someone ignorant about an issue when there's no supporting reason behind

It sounds an entirely accurate description to me! And there are piles
of supporting reasons. Exactly the reasons for having walls in your house.

> it, especially when there are quite a few posts here countering it.

So what? Has the person read them? Has he read the howto? If not, he is
ignorant of the issues involved.

From: "percy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: ipchains
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:53:01 +0800

Hi,
  who can help me to write a script to control?
req:
  1. control some ip to use squid or not (in same subnet)
  2. forword news request
  3. disable the icq

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Feb 2001 19:10:42 -0900

Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  In a message on 25 Feb 2001 16:29:02 -0900, wrote :
>
>FD> Hence, while it is possible to get / or /usr partitions too
>FD> small, they will be too small to even install the first time if
>FD> that is true.  If those partitions are large enough to actually
>FD> manage a functional install to begin with, they *never* require
>FD> resizing.
>
>Except when you upgrade from a 'lean' distro to a 'fat' distro...

Hous'at???

Say you have a 50Mb /usr partition, and now you need 2Gb and all
of your space is in a partition normally mounted on /stuff,
which is the other 39.5Gb on you 40Gb disk.  All you need to do
is

  mkdir /stuff/usr
  umount /usr
  rmdir /usr
  ln -s /stuff/usr /usr

And now you can install not only 2Gb of whatever you have for /usr,
but 30 or so more Gb too, if needed.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: more help needed with changing root password
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:42:04 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Possibly. How do I edit /etc/shadow? The file is not readable by emacs, for instance.

It's readable by anything. Do you mean that its permissions bits are
set to 000? You are root. Or just don't use shadow. What is the point
of using shadow for you?  Do you have multiple users on your system?
If not, run pwunconv, and be happy editing passwd.

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does KDE2 support Xinerama ?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:01:10 GMT

I have RedHat 7, KDE 2.0.1, XFree86 4.0.2, and two display monitors.
Xinerama seems to work, but when I maximize the windows, the window takes
up both monitors.  Is it possible to make the windows maximize to fit a
single monitor?
-

------------------------------

From: Ish Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat-6.2+ kernel-2.4.0+PPP problem..
Date: 27 Feb 2001 00:07:39 -0500

Hello,

System is RedHat-6.2
Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.0 and modutils to 2.4.1.
Kernel does compile and seems to work except for ppp to school.
The ppp was compiled as a module, and is inserted with
/sbin/modrpobe -v ppp_generic
pppd first time claimed that it created device /dev/ppp
But I do not seem to get a comnnection established. The
/var/log/messages entry is shown below. Any help in making it
work will be appreciated..

- ishwar

========
Feb 26 23:37:30 dodo pppd[519]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
Feb 26 23:38:00 dodo pppd[519]: Serial connection established.
Feb 26 23:38:00 dodo modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tty-ldisc-3
Feb 26 23:38:00 dodo pppd[519]: ioctl(TIOCSETD): Invalid argument(22)
Feb 26 23:38:01 dodo pppd[519]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Feb 26 23:38:01 dodo pppd[519]: Exit.
=======