Linux-Misc Digest #254, Volume #27               Wed, 28 Feb 01 17:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re:  hard disk failure ... data recovery options ? (Justin Hibbits)
  wrong filerights ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Unable to mount...08:32
  Re:  Odd Question (Justin Hibbits)
  Capacity Planning Class - May 2001 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux as a GW/Router ("The Spook")
  Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor (Arctic Storm)
  LILO version 21.7 released (John in SD)
  Re: Web page publishing (Jeff Roediger)
  Printing on only 1/2 of the paper (Jeff Roediger)
  Re: Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  hdparm & UltraDMA ("Mike Paul")
  Re: Installing windows 2000 ("D. Stimits")
  How do I include errno.h ? ("Cedric Chausson")
  Re: data recover after mkfs (Adriano Algeri)
  disk error? (Kevin)
  Help: PPP -> peer is not allowed to use  remote address 193.172.249.50 ("B. Schreur")
  Treesize for Linux? (Chris Gordon-Smith)
  Re: Help: PPP -> peer is not allowed to use  remote address  (David)
  toshiba laptop shuts off! ("Major Dondo")
  How do I include errno.h ? ("Cedric Chausson")

From: Justin Hibbits
Subject: Re:  hard disk failure ... data recovery options ?
Date: 28 Feb 2001 18:46:12 GMT

> I have two SCSI disk drives that I cannot start and have software recognize.
> I would like to pose a question about DATA RECOVERY, but not sure what
> newsgroup would be most appropriate.
>
> The drives are Micropolis 4.3 Gig SCSI.  They will spin up, make some noise,
> and after a minute or two, spin-down and the light blinks.  I have tried to
> get them recognized using "Lost and Found" software from Power Quest to no
> avail.
>
> I would like to know more about my options.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- John

I am not sure if this will work, but, if you are using Linux, first, grab yourself
some 4.3GB or larger disks to hold your SCSI disks,
Then, plug them in, and boot.  BEFORE YOU BOOT:::: go onto another computer, and
search the web for Tom's Root Boot Disk.
It contains everything you need to boot off a floppy-VI, kernel, and some utilities.
Then, do a 'dd' from the SCSI's to each IDE
disk.  This will make exact copies, which will allow you to analyze what the problem
is...if it is the disk or the data.  Oh, you might
want tol do a LILO on your boot HD, to make the root partition the IDE one, instead of
the SCSI.  Now, you should be able to
get at least minimal functionality.

Warning::This method has not been tested, it is just a suggestion.  First look at what
others have to say, then, if you must, do this
I am not sure of the exact 'dd' arguments to pass, but it might work, and if it does,
hurray, if it doesn't...

Let me know how it works out, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Justin Hibbits

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: wrong filerights
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:05:45 GMT

By mistake I changed the file owner and group under /etc (the whole tree under /etc
infact...)
and now I cannot start X if I'm not root, How do I get the default owner and group
back ??

/Peter

--
Sent by tuxdev from hotmail in  field com

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to mount...08:32
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:45:22 -0500

When a kernel is built, it has the location of the root file system ( the
partition where "/" sits) hard coded in.
If you are using lilo to boot a kernel,
you can say :

LILO: linux root=/dev/hda1

or whereever the root file system is, and that will over-ride the hard coded
value.

Now, when you do this, if you still get the problem,  Check the following :

1) Root file system is in a format the kernel does not understand ?
2) The root file system is on a device the kernel cannot access ?
3) Root file system could be royally trashed.

LILO: linux single

this should get you into a single user, text only mode.  Proceed with
recovery from there.

IF (3) , above is true, then get a boot disk image. The one I use is "Tom's
Root/Boot disk", and proceed with a recovery of data from
Just a couple of questions:
1) How many partitions did you make for Linux, and what sizes ?
2 ) Did you make a rescue disk after the newly installed system was up and
running ?

joseph

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:97je63$1to4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> >>   Tried rescue boot,
> >> and hung at these error messages:
> >>
> >> VFS: Cannot open root device 08:32
> >> Kernel Panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:32
> >>
> >> What is "08:32"?
>
> > From file:/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt (which I understand
you
> > might have difficulty reading right now):
>
> > 8 block SCSI disk devices (0-15)
> >     0 = /dev/sda  First SCSI disk whole disk
> >    16 = /dev/sdb  Second SCSI disk whole disk
> >    32 = /dev/sdc  Third SCSI disk whole disk
> >   240 = /dev/sdp  Sixteenth SCSI disk whole disk
>
> >   Partitions are handled in the same way as for IDE
> >   disks (see major number 3) except that the limit on
> >   partitions is 15.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> I'm afraid I don't comprehend any of this; the hard disk is IDE, but I'm
> booting from the boot floppy, shouldn't have anything to do with
> hard disks, (except for trying to get access to the HD, of course I've
never
> had to try a rescue boot before, so I don't know what's supposed to
happen)
> supposed to end up prompted to insert the rescue diskette,
> but doesn't get that far.  I'm using the boot diskette that came with
RedHat

------------------------------

From: Justin Hibbits
Subject: Re:  Odd Question
Date: 28 Feb 2001 18:51:32 GMT

> THis is kind of funny...
>
>    I was tar'ing some files the other day and I created a file that can not
> be deleted. Basically, I used the tar cvf option, but instead of putting my
> filename after the 'f', I accidently used the '--attime-preserve' option.
>
>    This created a huge file called '--attime-preserve' and I can not delete
> it.
>
>    When I try, it gives me the following errors:
>
> # rm --atime-preserve
> rm: unrecognized option `--atime-preserve'
> Try `rm --help' for more information.
>
>    Tried to rename it then delete:
>
> # mv --atime-preserve
> mv: unrecognized option `--atime-preserve'
> Try `mv --help' for more information.
>

>    Any suggestions?
>

>    Thanks,
>    Bo

Hey, everyone does this at least once, then they learn.  do a ( use EXACT syntax )

mv '--atime-preserve' temp-preserve
rm temp-preserve

if this does not work, try escaping each - using \-

It should work with one of these methods.  If it doesn't, you are probably screwed.

Justin Hibbits

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Capacity Planning Class - May 2001
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:50:09 GMT

  The "Performance in the Valley" Series presents

          GUERILLA CAPACITY PLANNING
                 -----------------------------
              May 7-11, 2001

Corporate DISCOUNTS available but book early; book often!
   See http://www.perfdynamics.com/PitV/guerilla.html

                   INSTRUCTOR
                   ----------
Dr. Neil J. Gunther, Performance Dynamics Consulting  author of
THE PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE ANALYST, iUniverse.com Inc. 2000.

                   REGISTRATION
                   ------------
Full class details and registration forms are available at:
http://www.perfdynamics.com/PitV/guerilla.html

You can also call Performance Dynamics Educational Services at:
530-873-0575 or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more details.

We accept VISA and MASTERCARD. Corporate discounts are available.

                    SAMPLE TOPICS
                   -------------
- Analysis of performance data
- Capacity planning methods
- System resource managers in AIX, HPUX, Solaris, and MVS
- Queueing theory for those who can't wait!
- Web server sizing and planning
- Internet capacity planning
- Sizing for OLTP and DSS workloads
- Clusters, SMP and MPP scalability
- Actual case studies
- Review of commercial performance mgmt tools

Attendees will receive a copy of the book plus 400 pages of lecture notes.

                   ACCOMMODATION
                   -------------
PLACE: The Crowne Plaza Hotel
FOOD: Breakfast, lunch, and coffee breaks are included in the price of admission.
NET:  All hotel rooms are internet ready (What else! It's the Si Valley)
You must make their own hotel room reservations by calling (925)
847-6000 and
identifying yourself as a Performance Dynamics enrollee.

We hope to see you there!

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as a GW/Router
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:59:00 +0100

Robert wrote ...
>Hello every one,
>
>I am having problem making Linux as a gateway.In my schools lab I have a PC
>connected to my schools network with an IP address of 192.168.0.60 from our
>network manager,  shown as PC1 below. Since I have three computers, I want
>to connect all of them to the network. I have therefore put two net cards
in
>PC1 and using IP forwarding and IP masquerading to connect the others
>computer through PC1 to the network too, or making PC1 as a router /
>gateway.
>
>MY PROBLEM is that . I can only ping from PC2 and PC3 to both net cards of
>PC1, but i can not ping from PC2 and PC3 to other computer connected to the
>network. But from PC1 i  can ping to all computer connected to my network
>
>I am using Linux RH 7.0, kernel 2.2.17-22. I have enabled IP forwarding in
>PC1 and using the scripts below for packet forwarding:.
>
>echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>ipchains -F
>ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -s 192.168.1.2/32 -j MASQ
-- Cut --

Provided your network looks like the following (your schematic was hard to
read):

PC3=192.168.1.3

 |-- 192.168.1.1=PC1=192.168.0.60 --|

PC2=192.168.1.2

the ipchains-command should be

ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

which forces masquerading for all machines in the 192.168.1.x net. Your
command forces masquerading for PC2 only.

Your routing-table for PC1 looks weird, it seems to have mixed up your
"internal" and "external" networks. It should be something like the
following (obtained with "route -n"):

192.168.1.0  0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0 U  0 0 0 eth1
192.168.0.0  0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0 U  0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0    0.0.0.0     255.0.0.0     U  0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0       UG 0 0 0 eth0

The 192.168.1.x net is on eth1, the 192.168.0.x net is on eth0, the default
gateway is 192.168.0.1 on eth0. It looks like you may have got a wrong
netmask for eth1 on PC1 and you may be using a combination of router setup
in "/etc/sysconfig/network" (GATEWAY=...) and "/etc/sysconfig/static-routes"
or some similar way to set up routes in more than one place.

If, on PC1, you define in "/etc/sysconfig/network" with lines like the
following:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=host.domain.name
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

set "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" in "/etc/sysctl.conf", and set up routing
nowhere else, it should work for you. Check your netmasks in
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?", though.

  /TRY

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:10:04 GMT

I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may be in a similar
situation, and had difficulties.
I was using the version of GNOME that came with RedHat 7, which by default
installed Sawfish window manager.  I upgraded the XFree86 to version 4.0.2
and added a second monitor.  I was able to get Xinerama to display both
monitors, but the desktop saw only one large screen.  When I maximized
windows, the windows expanded to cover both monitors.  I tried KDE 2.0.1,
but had the same problem.
I went to the GNOME web site and upgraded to Ximian GNOME.  Now, the dual
monitor setup works as expected.  When I maximize the windows, the windows
cover only the current monitor, and does not extend into the other monitor.
 The new GNOME still uses Sawfish window manager.
KDE 2.1 was recently released, but have not tried to see if it will
"understand" multi-monitor setup.

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO version 21.7 released
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:24:39 GMT

LILO release 21.7 is based upon Werner Almesberger's LILO version 21.

Version 21.7 adds support for higher serial line rates and fixes a few
minor problems discovered in release 21.6.1.  It maintains all backward
compatiblity.

Version 21.6 is an upgrade for users of the Reiser File System, and adds
new diagnostic capabilities.  Internal changes allow booting kernels with
larger real-mode setup codes (2.4.0 and later).  This version is fully
backward compatible with version 21.5, which added the customizable boot
menu interface, and versions back to 21.2, which allowed booting beyond
the 1024 cylinder limit on disks >8Gb.

Source code is available for download from:

   ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo          (developer's site)

Or from the main distribution site:

   ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo    (please use)

See the distribution file 'CHANGES' for details of the differences between
21.7 and prior releases.

--John Coffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

LILO version 21.6.1 (16-Dec-2000) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: Jeff Roediger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web page publishing
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:56:46 -0700

Brian Goodyear wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I use brain and Netscape.
> >
> > Also, to uploaded I use rsync via ssh.
>
> Yes, I realize that there are ways to cobble together something but I
> would like something more along the lines of Front Page.

Brian
   You wont find anything like FP on linux or freeBSD.
There are programs like Bluefish that are out there. But you do need to
know html.
but just about any text editor will do.
jeff

------------------------------

From: Jeff Roediger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing on only 1/2 of the paper
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:04:45 -0700

I'm using Mandrake7.2 and CUPS
Driver CANON BJC 1000, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.0 (en)

The printer prints the full length of the page but only uses half of the
width of the paper. Yes, I have the correct paper size chosen!

TIA
Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:18:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may be in a similar
> situation, and had difficulties.
> I was using the version of GNOME that came with RedHat 7, which by default
> installed Sawfish window manager.  I upgraded the XFree86 to version 4.0.2
> and added a second monitor.  I was able to get Xinerama to display both
> monitors, but the desktop saw only one large screen.  When I maximized
> windows, the windows expanded to cover both monitors.  I tried KDE 2.0.1,
> but had the same problem.
> I went to the GNOME web site and upgraded to Ximian GNOME.  Now, the dual
> monitor setup works as expected.  When I maximize the windows, the windows
> cover only the current monitor, and does not extend into the other monitor.
>  The new GNOME still uses Sawfish window manager.
> KDE 2.1 was recently released, but have not tried to see if it will
> "understand" multi-monitor setup.

The very idea behind Xinerama is to have two monitors act as one large display.
Hence, the expected way to work would be to maximize between the two.

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Mike Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hdparm & UltraDMA
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:11:35 +0500

I discovered yesterday that Linux was using PIO mode instead of DMA mode
for my hard drives, and I'd like to change this because it hurts the
system's performance a lot.  All my hardware supports UDMA66 operation,
but I don't know how to safely enable this mode.  (I say "safely" because
I've had one rather unsuccessful attempt that I don't want to repeat.)
Detailed explanation follows...

I have three Seagate Barracuda ATA II hard drives, two on my primary IDE
and one connected to the Promise Ultra100 controller integrated on my Asus
A7V motherboard.  (These are UDMA66 drives.)  At bootup, I get the following
messages  (among others):

ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
ide2: BM-DMA at 0x7800-0x7807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0x7808-0x780f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

hda: ST320420A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: ST320420A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-105S 011, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: ST320420A, ATA DISK drive

hda: 39851760 sectors (20404 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=2480/255/63
hdb: 39851760 sectors (20404 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=2480/255/63
hde: 39851760 sectors (20404 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=39535/16/63, UDMA(66)

The first few messages would seem to indicate that my drives are using DMA
mode, and that makes sense because I turned on the "DMA by default" option
when I compiled the kernel (2.4.2).  But those last three messages suggest
that hda and hdb aren't using DMA at all, and when I run "hdparm
-v /dev/hda" I get the following:

/dev/hda:
 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 2480/255/63, sectors = 39851760, start = 0

hdb shows the same results, and hde is the same except that "using_dma" is
1.

After reading the manpage for hdparm, I ran the command "hdparm -d1
/dev/hdb" and it seems to work; writing data to disk no longer makes my
audio skip, for example, so apparently it's using DMA.

Now, here's where the problem comes in.  The manpage for hdparm says that
an option like -X34 is generally used with -d1 to put the drive in a
specific DMA mode.  Everything seems to work fine without it, so I have
to wonder what mode the drive is in when I just use -d1.  But after the
previous command, I ran "hdparm -d1 -X34 /dev/hdb" to put the drive in
what should be DMA mode 2.  Several seconds later, my drive-access light
turned on, and I started getting kernel messages saying "timeout waiting
for DMA", and eventually it disabled DMA and reset ide0.  After that, any
attempt to turn DMA back on, even with -X0 or no -X option at all,
resulted in more timeout messages and I had to reboot to be able to turn
on DMA again.

Now, that was using kernel 2.2.18.  Someone on IRC told me that 2.4 might
have better support for my KT133 chipset, so I compiled 2.4.2 (which I'd
been meaning to do anyway) and tried again.  Everything went the same
except that instead of having DMA disabled and ide0 reset, I got an
unending series of "hda:  lost interrupt" messages, one every few
seconds, and after a hard reset, fsck found fairly serious filesystem
damage.  And yes, it's hda that lost the interrupt, even though I ran
hdparm on hdb.

At this point, I'm totally at a loss as to what to do next.  I'm sure the
majority of the world's Linux systems aren't using slow PIO modes on fast
DMA drives, so I must be missing something, but I don't know what.
--

Mike Paul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:19:35 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing windows 2000

Jack Kaufmann wrote:

> Any idea where I could find the Howto?
>
> "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jack Kaufmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I am running Linux (Redhat 7) and windows 98 on separate partitions,
> with
> > > LILO on the MBR.  I would like to install Windows 2000 on a third
> partition,
> > > and I know it wants to take over the MBR.  Can anyone give me any
> guidance
> > > re how to go about it?  Thanks.
> >
> > There is an NT boot loader howto around somewhere, not sure where. The
> > NT boot loader is the same as in Win 2K, and works quite nicely as the
> > primary loader. It basically means installing lilo to a partition
> > instead of MBR, then using dd to copy your partition boot record to a
> > floppy, and then the floppy file to the Win 2k partition. Win 2k can be
> > pointed at that file and it will properly direct things over to linux.
> > The NT boot loaders is one of the few reliable MS products I know of.
> > FYI, you want to avoid support in linux for writing to NTFS, use
> > read-only.

I found a copy at LDP:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

The portion which talks about the details of getting boot sector info
is:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader-5.html

------------------------------

From: "Cedric Chausson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED](halteauspam)>
Subject: How do I include errno.h ?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:20:30 +0100

Hello,

I had (and still have) the following problem :

>Problem while compiling sane-backends 1.0.4. The ./configure goes all right.
>Then I do make. It starts compiling some but it ends with an error message :

>sanei_net.c: In function `w_option_value':
>sanei_net.c:122: `EINVAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
>sanei_net.c:122: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>sanei_net.c:122: for each function it appears in.)
>make[1]: *** [sanei_net.o] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Cedric/Installation/sane-backends-1.0.4/sanei'
>make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Someone told me the solutio was to include errno.h in the file. But I
looked in sanei-net.c and I saw "#include  <errno.h>" in it. So what is
the problem ? What should I do ?

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------

From: Adriano Algeri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: data recover after mkfs
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:24:55 GMT

Probably i'll become old trying to recover 1 month of data without
backup;
anyway thanx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: disk error?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:31:24 GMT

    This looks like a hard drive error.  It hasn't occured since
    the original incident, about a week ago, but the following
    was repeated several times in my log file.

kernel: scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00 d8 c6 3c
00 00 08 00
kernel: Info fld=0xd8c63c, Current sd08:05: sense key Medium Error
kernel: Additional sense indicates Unrecovered read error
kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:05, sector 6029376
kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,5)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode block -
inode=368160, block=753672

    My questions are:

    *  Is this a permanent disk failure?

    *  How can I test my disk to see if it's OK?

    *  Can I mark the sector as bad and continue using the disk?

    [I'm coming from the perspective that I used to be able to
    test for and mark bad blocks on old (Wren III) disks on the
    Sun3/50 I used to have.]

    Thanks....

From: "B. Schreur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: PPP -> peer is not allowed to use  remote address 193.172.249.50
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:43:36 +0100
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,hetnet.comp.linux

Hi,

Can't get my PPP connection working for some time.
In /var/log/pppd.log I see the message:

"Peer is not authorised to use remote address 193.172.249.50"
"Unauthorized remote IP address"

What's happening here? In the /etc/ppp/options file I set
the option "noipdefault" but this also doesn't work....
I get this same message (same IP-nr) when I connect to both
my ISP (12Move and Hetnet)?

Can you tell me a solution for this? Would really like to see an internet
session under Linux.....

Thanks in advance,
Ben

------------------------------

From: Chris Gordon-Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Treesize for Linux?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:48:33 +0000

There is a Windows based utility (Treesize) that provides a graphical
display showing the size of each part of the directory tree.

Is there a similar graphical utility for Linux.

Chris Gordon-Smith
London UK

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,hetnet.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Help: PPP -> peer is not allowed to use  remote address
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:47:12 GMT

"B. Schreur" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can't get my PPP connection working for some time.
> In /var/log/pppd.log I see the message:
>
> "Peer is not authorised to use remote address 193.172.249.50"
> "Unauthorized remote IP address"
>
> What's happening here? In the /etc/ppp/options file I set
> the option "noipdefault" but this also doesn't work....
> I get this same message (same IP-nr) when I connect to both
> my ISP (12Move and Hetnet)?
>
> Can you tell me a solution for this? Would really like to see an internet
> session under Linux.....
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ben

Doing an "dig" on "hetnet" shows:

hetnet.nl.              23h58m50s IN A  194.151.104.196

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dns.kpn.com.            1d23h58m45s IN A  145.7.191.35
dns.unisource.nl.       58m25s IN A     194.151.224.7
ns1.unisource.nl.       3d23h58m25s IN A  194.151.253.18
ns2.kpn.net.            1d23h58m45s IN A  194.151.228.50

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.086% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Major Dondo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: toshiba laptop shuts off!
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:04:30 +0500

I have a mystery.  I have a toshiba 2800 laptop, running RH 7 with a
stock 2.2.18 kernel.  I have downloaded the latest toshiba utils from
buzzard.com.uk.

When I try to load the module from buzzard, I get undefined symbols.
When I try to use the module from the kernel surce, I get "unknown
hardware type" when I try to use the tohibs utils.

None of this would really bother me, since I can get most of what I need
to work, except that the laptop does a hard power off after about 1 hour
of no use.

It does not shut down - it just powers off.  File systems get checked,
blah, blah, on the next boot.

I have tweaked every setting I can think of - I have compiled the kernel
with APM , w/o apm, running apmd, not running apmd, running toshutils,
not running toshutils, and the #$%^&* still powers off when I leave it
for any lenght of time.......

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

--Yan

From: "Cedric Chausson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED](halteauspam)>