From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unable to mount...08:32
Date: 28 Feb 2001 22:07:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<SNIP>
> Just a couple of questions:
> 1) How many partitions did you make for Linux, and what sizes ?
> 2 ) Did you make a rescue disk after the newly installed system was up and
> running?

partitions are /dev/hda5, ..hda6 ..hda7.  5 is boot, 6 is /.

I had made a rescue disk; didn't understand I needed a bootdisk other than
the default install bootdisk.  Found a ref to mkbootdisk in the ref guide;
re-connected the 6.1 server-class install HD in what's to become a FreeBSD
box, man mkbootdisk and then made a bootdisk from that.  Successfully
entered rescue mode.  Did e2fsck /dev/hda5 and then 6 and 7.  hda6 first
reported UncorrectableError on a sector, however, subsequent re-run gave a
clean report.  hda7 turns out to be swap, which can't be fsck'd.  after
this, I decided to try re-booting one more time; what I thought was a hang
was just taking a long time before giving up on mounting NFS (some error
message there about RPC; far as I know, I don't have any NFS
mounts active).  After this gave up (I fell asleep for a couple
minutes at the console, so didn't try to shut down so it had a chance to
time out and boot continued) booting continued, the box is back up for
now.

<SNIP>

John Meshkoff    johnm at sivakalpa dot org
remove 'johnpipe' in 'From:' to reply
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/
"I do not know that I know the self fully,
neither do I know that I know him not"
                ...from the Upanishads

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO + Mylex 170
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:19:13 GMT

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:26:29 -0700, "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> From the lilo docs:
>>
>>    LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
>>     loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
>>     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
>>     installer.
>
>  Ah.  Now we're getting somewhere.   How, exactly, do I run the map
>installer?

/sbin/lilo

There could also be a problem with device codes.  You may need

   disk=/dev/XXXX
       bios=0x8?

To correctly assign the device codes.

The boot installer (21.6 and later) can tell you about device codes with the
-T diagnostic switch

lilo -T help
lilo -T geom

should give you geometry and device code information.

lilo -v3 will tell you what device codes lilo is trying to use when it
installs the boot loader and map file.

--John

LILO version 21.7 (24-Feb-2001) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Filter text strings from binaries
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 11:41:24 +1300

Hi Michael Heiming,

>> I'm after a program or technique that will filter/extract text strings
>> from a binary file. It has to be intelligent enough to avoid characters
>> that are clearly just part of the code instead of a text
>> string/comment.
>>
>> I imagine grep might be able to accomplish this, although the pattern
>> would be quite complicated.
>>
>> Thanks for your help, Adam
>
> Hello,
>
> try the command:
>
> strings

(grin)

Cool, thanks. I had a suspicion that GNU tools would include the
functionality.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: "Cedric Chausson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED](halteauspam)>
Subject: Problem mounting ZIP 250 USB drive
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:49:25 +0100

Hello all,

Hello all,

When I try to mount my ZIP USB drive (mount -t vfat /dev/sda
/mnt/usbzip) with a PC formated disk (empty or full), I get the following error :

mount : type fs incorrect, incorrect option, incorrect superblock on /dev/sda,
       or too many filesystems mounted.

The drive light flashes and I hear the drive starts to spin but it just
gives out that error message. Anybody have an idea ?

Note :
        _ I have all necessary USB options enabled in kernel (no modules)
        _ I have the USB device filesystem mounted ok (entry in fstab), i can
see the entry in /proc/bus/usb
        _ I have set the necessary options for scsi. I can see information on my
device in proc/scsi/scsi.
        _ I have created a usbzip directory in /mnt.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:58:42 -0500

Problem.

Check each and every file on hda6, against the rpm database or something.

I had an odd situation here when i hit the reset switch once.
A binary got corrupted., and had to be replaced.

You might want to split the system  into  several partitions.
/boot
/
/root
/tmp
/var
/home
/usr

This way, if something in the /usr part gets screwed up, the / ( root ) is
not affected, and you can repair it fairly quickly.
With your current everything-in-one-partition setup, corruptions in /home
 or other non-root) could cause you unnecessary complications.

news:97jsr6$2hg0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xinerama setup in GNOME for multi-monitor
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:58:14 GMT

> The very idea behind Xinerama is to have two monitors act as one large
> display. Hence, the expected way to work would be to maximize between the
> two.

I agree that Xinerama creates one large desktop that spans multiple
monitors, which allows you to drag windows from one monitor to the next.
However, when windows maximize to take up the entire desktop, the maximized
window will extend into every monitor, and this is quite a nuisance.  Most
people who have multiple monitors display different windows in different
monitors, so windows "should" maximize to fit only one monitor.  According
to Xinerama How-To, Enlightenment can handle multiple monitors in Xinerama
and maximize windows to fit one monitor, and not extend into other
monitors.  My point in the previous post was that when I upgraded to Ximian
GNOME, Sawfish was still the window manager, however, now, windows maximize
and fit into only one monitor.
There's one problem, though, that I forgot to include in the previous post.
 I have two monitors of different sizes, and placed them side-by-side; the
larger monitor is the primary monitor.  When I maximize windows in the
smaller monitor, the horizontal width is correct, but the vertical height
is too long; height of the larger monitor.
Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

------------------------------

Subject: Re:  Odd Question
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre Kostur)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:00:39 GMT

Justin Hibbits wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> THis is kind of funny...
>>
>>    I was tar'ing some files the other day and I created a file that
>>    can not
>> be deleted. Basically, I used the tar cvf option, but instead of
>> putting my filename after the 'f', I accidently used the
>> '--attime-preserve' option.
>>
>>    This created a huge file called '--attime-preserve' and I can not
>>    delete
>> it.
>>
>>    When I try, it gives me the following errors:
>>
>> # rm --atime-preserve
>> rm: unrecognized option `--atime-preserve'
>> Try `rm --help' for more information.
>>
>>    Tried to rename it then delete:
>>
>> # mv --atime-preserve
>> mv: unrecognized option `--atime-preserve'
>> Try `mv --help' for more information.
>>

>>    Any suggestions?
>>

>>    Thanks,
>>    Bo
>
>Hey, everyone does this at least once, then they learn.  do a ( use
>EXACT syntax )
>
>mv '--atime-preserve' temp-preserve
>rm temp-preserve
>
>if this does not work, try escaping each - using \-
>
>It should work with one of these methods.  If it doesn't, you are
>probably screwed.
>
>Justin Hibbits

>Linux Programmer's Site

There's a couple of other solutions:

rm -- --atime-preserve

or

rm -i *

*** Don't forget the -i or you'll be REALLY sorry ***
It'll ask you about each file in your directory, one by one...  actually,
come to think of it, don't use this one for your particular problem.  If
you accidentally had created a file "-rf", it would be bad.  I just
recalled when I use this trick: when the filename has unprintable
characters in it.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:17:39 +0000

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:33:03 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John Hasler"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Peter writes:
> >> OTOH, even in the cave, man was searching for a reason for his
> >> existence. That, and art, is what separates us from the beasts in the
> >> field.
> >
> > Show that "the beasts in the field" do not practice art
>
> They do practice art. See my other post.

The Bower birds. Fascinating. But isn't it just a very exaggerated mating
ritual carried on by instinct rather than conscious artistic input?

> > and ponder
> > existence.  Show that man "in the cave" was.

I thought cave art showed spirituality in the only language they could
express themselves in, but maybe I'm wrong.

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:24:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1.) Linux and UNIX are multi-user systems, so it is not a totally
> different story in this newsgroup.

I didn't say for this newsgroup; I said for the thread.  If you look
back, I said "home/newbie user" countless times.

> 2.) I have a CD-ROM with, roughly, my current distro on it. I have a

I have no arguments with what you said.  The problem is that this is not
the concentration of the thread.

Please reread my posts so I can stop repeating myself.

Greg

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:18:18 GMT

John in SD wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:26:29 -0700, "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> From the lilo docs:
> >>
> >>    LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
> >>     loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
> >>     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
> >>     installer.
> >
> >  Ah.  Now we're getting somewhere.   How, exactly, do I run the map
> >installer?
>
> /sbin/lilo
>
> There could also be a problem with device codes.  You may need
>
>    disk=/dev/XXXX
>        bios=0x8?
>
> To correctly assign the device codes.
>
> The boot installer (21.6 and later) can tell you about device codes with the
> -T diagnostic switch
>
> lilo -T help
> lilo -T geom
>
> should give you geometry and device code information.
>
> lilo -v3 will tell you what device codes lilo is trying to use when it
> installs the boot loader and map file.
>
> --John
>
> LILO version 21.7 (24-Feb-2001) source at
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
> patches at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

Yup, could do, but hopefully, it's just /sbin/lilo and go...  I wouldn't
think you'd need anything else unless there's a EIDE drive hidden in this
some where.  If it's just SCSI then it shouldn't be that complicated.

Best

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC (formerly Mynd)              Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Simon Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HyperStudio-type software?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:46:21 +1100

Is there anything like Mac Hyperstudio that's GPLed?
Ta.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:38:49 -0700

> >  Ah.  Now we're getting somewhere.   How, exactly, do I run the map
> >installer?
>
> /sbin/lilo

  Crap.  Yes, I did that. : )

> There could also be a problem with device codes.  You may need
>
>    disk=/dev/XXXX
>        bios=0x8?

  I fiddled with that, but didn't get it right, evidently.  I'll take a look
at the other stuff...

steve

------------------------------

From: Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web page publishing
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:56:05 -0500

Jeff Roediger wrote:

> Brian
>    You wont find anything like FP on linux or freeBSD.
> There are programs like Bluefish that are out there. But you do need to
> know html.
> but just about any text editor will do.
> jeff

Yes, I finally figured this out although I settled on QUANTA2 which at
least makes an attempt to be for those of us who are not programmers.  With
it I believe I can muddle my way though the site update.

Thanks.  I just didn't want to have to install a text editor, learn how to
use it, install an ftp program, learn how to use it.  Linux is wonderful
but sometimes trying to get any work done is a bear.

For example, I wanted to change my logo so I decided to install the GIMP.
7 meg rpm download.  My package amanger complains that it won't handle
anthing with major number => 3.  Downloaded 3 new versions of RPM to no
avail Now in the process of downloading theGimp sources 12 megs.  No doubt
when I try to compile it, something or other will be missing and I'll spend
more time plinking around.

There's something to be said for just going down to the Office Depot and
buying a program in a box.

--
thanks....Brian

------------------------------

From: "Mike Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Plextor can't mount CDs 121032A does not grab > 8x
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:39:52 +0500

I have the same CD-RW drive as you and probably the same DVD drive
(Pioneer DVD-105S) and I'm having a similar problem...

I'm using kernel 2.4.2 and SCSI-emulation for the two drives, which are
hdc and hdd respectively.  I can mount and read discs just fine in the
Pioneer drive.  When I try to mount the same discs in the Plextor drive,
I get mount's generic "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock, etc."
message.

I switched back to plain ATAPI (rmmod sr_mod and ide-scsi and insmod
ide-cd) and tried again.  The Pioneer drive still mounted things fine, but
the results with the Plextor were less predictable.  I once got it to
mount successfully and read the root directory, but trying to "ls" a
subdirectory on the CD returned garbage.  For the most part, any attempt
to mount or unmount would result in a bunch of kernel messages saying
"status error", "status timeout", and "irq error", and a few ATAPI
resets.

Now, the really interesting part:  under kernel 2.2.18, _it works
perfectly_.  Is this a driver bug, or something that needs to be
reconfigured, or what?

My motherboard, btw, is an Asus A7V, different from yours.
--

Mike Paul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 00:42:48 GMT

> > place for /tmp to physically be located.  Both /tmp and /usr/tmp
> > should be symlinks to /var/tmp.
> >
>     How would I symlink /tmp and /usr/tmp to /var/tmp when they seem to be
> created automatically when I do the install?? (Im a newbie)

# go to single user mode
init 1

# move anything you want to save to /var/tmp
cd /tmp
cp -av . /var/tmp
cd /usr/tmp
cp -av . /var/tmp

# remove the old directories
rm -rvf /tmp /usr/tmp

# make new links
cd /
ln -s /var/tmp
cd /usr
ln -s /var/tmp

# sanity check
ls -l / | grep tmp
ls -l /usr | grep tmp

# reboot
init 6

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanners under Linux
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:43:02 -0800

Michael Heiming wrote:
JCA wrote:

"I would like to buy a color scanner to use with my Linux
box, but I don't know which ones are supported. If anybody
has got experience with this and want to share it, your input
will be much appreciated."

http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

Bev
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>
 Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the straps.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 28 Feb 2001 15:08:37 -0900

"Cjv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Floyd Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) wrote:
>
>> For instance, in most of the multi-partition examples shown in
>> this thread there have been both a /tmp and a /var partition.
>> That is an unnecessary waste of disk space.  The /var partition
>> is going to suffer high fragmentation, which is one reason it
>> should be a separate partition, but that also makes it a great
>> place for /tmp to physically be located.  Both /tmp and /usr/tmp
>> should be symlinks to /var/tmp.
>>
>    How would I symlink /tmp and /usr/tmp to /var/tmp when they seem to be
>created automatically when I do the install?? (Im a newbie)

Let the install do whatever it does, but once it is finished,
part of customizing your system can be to change whatever the
install did, to what  you want.  The only thing you _don't_
want the install to do is make a separate partition for /tmp,
unless of course you want it to stay that way (and I can't see
any reason one would want both a /tmp and a /var partition).

>> Other obvious candidates for locating on other partitions with a
>> symlink are /usr/local, /usr/X11, /opt, and where ever it is
>> that emacs/xemacs or tex are located.
>>
>> Likewise the /home directory can actually be on one or more
>> other partitions.  /home itself can be a symlink, but so can
>> each user's directory if that is useful (as might be for the
>> /home/ftp directory, as an example).
>>
>> Hence, while it is possible to get / or /usr partitions too
>> small, they will be too small to even install the first time if
>> that is true.  If those partitions are large enough to actually
>> manage a functional install to begin with, they *never* require
>> resizing.
>
>Floyd, If I were to do a fresh install then, how many original
>partitions do you suggest I create? Then how would I use
>symlinks (as you describe)?  Would this approach be harder to
>restore if one of the partitions became unstable?

It is very difficult for me to suggest what would be best for
you!  It might be that for you, one big partition actually is
the best.  Certainly if you want to learn "proper" (whatever
that is) UNIX systems administration you will want a number of
"unnecessary" partitions.  You might want two or more root
partitions, each with different distributions on them, as an
example.

Personally, I would _at least_ want a separate /, /boot, /var
and some number of other miscellaneous partitions that I usually
mount on /u1, /u2, /u3, etc.  (Note there is no separate /usr
partition listed, though usually I do like a separate /usr
partition too.  I also like a separate /usr/local.)  I almost
always make /home a symlink to a directory on a /u* partition.
(I also like to have at least 2 swap partitions, each on a
different disk...)

If you have a backup system that is restricted in size, it is
very handy to limit partitions such as /home to some size that
allows the entire partition to fit on one tape.

Symlinks are handy when you discover, six months after you did
an install, that your 500Mb /usr partition just isn't large
enough.  There is no need to re-partition the disk in order to
have more room to add new software.  If the disk itself is too
small, just add another disk. But whether another disk is added
or whether all the extra space on the existing disk is in the
wrong partition makes little difference.  The point is you can
use symlinks rather than go through the pain of re-partitioning
the disk.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]