  Re: bash: scp: command not found (but...) (Scott Alfter)

From: Vincent Zweije <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: HOW TO make a user an administrator of a group or single user
Date: 28 Feb 2001 13:04:42 +0100

 * Followups to comp.os.linux.admin and comp.os.linux.security

In article <97fqru$iht$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

||  In comp.os.linux.admin David E. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
||  > In our last shocking episode of comp.os.linux.admin,
||  > [EMAIL PROTECTED] revealed a dark secret:
||  >> You don't have to write a suid program, just an ordinary program.
||  >> Then let sudo exec it (whenever it fills sudo's rules)
||  >> This way your mistakes in the additional program is less security
||  >> hazardeous.
||  > But then we're back to having to maintain a reasonably complex `sudoers'
||  > file, which I perceive as problematic, and potentially even more
||  > dangerous.
||  You are missing my point. Make the program that does the validation, but
||  don't do it setuid. Leave that to sudo.
||  Sudoers will only have rules for who is allowed to run the "program", the
||  inner complexity of the "program" is done there.
||  This way you will not be affected with buffer overflows etc in the
||  "program" since only selected users will be allowed to run it setuid.

This is not a correct statement; buffer overflows in non-suid programs
can be exploited.

Basically, you're relying on trust in the administrating users not to
try and crack the "program" and get root privileges through having it
executed by sudo.  This will go a long way, but it still won't scale
well when you get too many administrating users.

A "reasonably complex sudoers file", as David Smith wrote, indicates that
the number of sodoers has grown to beyond what you can handle by trust.
When there are too many users to trust each one, you must account for
the fact that one of them might try to crack the "program" while being
executed with root rights through sudo.  Therefore, you *must* worry
about buffer overflows and all that.

Apart from that, one of the users' accounts may have been compromised,
and key logging programs installed.  It doesn't have to be the user
himself who does the dirty deed.

Ciao.                                                            Vincent.
--
Vincent Zweije <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abuse, step by step
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 04:30:05 -0000

Sorry for my brief post.

Yes, Abuse is that shoot-em-up game. You can download it from
download.com. I cannot figure out how to run it, nor any other program
that comes in a tar.gz file. I cannot give you an exact error message
because I have NO clue what to do.

Thanks again,

James

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: upgrade xfree86 in redhat 6.2
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:37:59 +0800

i want to upgrade the xfree86 from 3.3.6 to 4.0.1 in my redhat 6.2 box.
however, i get a bunch of failed dependencies. can anyone give me some good
suggestion?!

[root@xyz RPMS]# rpm -Uvh XFree86-4.0.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-xfs-4.0.1-1.i386.rpm XFree86-libs-4.0.1-1.i386.rpm
initscripts-5.49-1.i386.rpm ncurses-devel-5.1-2.i386.rpm
ncurses-5.1-2.i386.rpm modutils-2.3.14-3.i386.rpm glibc-2.1.92-14.i686.rpm

error: failed dependencies:
        rpm <= 4.0-0.65 conflicts with glibc-2.1.92-14
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by info-4.0-5
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by procps-2.0.6-5
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by bc-1.05a-5
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by ftp-0.16-3
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by gdb-4.18-11
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by git-4.3.19-2
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by gpm-1.18.1-7
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by ispell-3.1.20-25
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by kdebase-1.1.2-33
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by less-346-2
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by linuxconf-1.17r2-6
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by ncftp-3.0beta21-4
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by pine-4.21-8
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by python-1.5.2-13
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by screen-3.9.5-4
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by talk-0.16-4
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by telnet-0.16-6
        libncurses.so.4 is needed by util-linux-2.10f-7
        xpm is needed by xpm-devel-3.4k-2
        libdb.so.2 is needed by chkfontpath-1.7-2
        libdb.so.2 is needed by gnome-libs-1.0.55-12
        libdb.so.2 is needed by gnome-linuxconf-0.25-2
        libdb.so.2 is needed by gpgp-0.4-2
        libdb.so.2 is needed by kpackage-1.3.10-3
        libdb.so.2 is needed by libglade-0.11-1
        libdb.so.2 is needed by memprof-0.3.0-4
        libdb.so.2 is needed by passwd-0.64.1-1
        libdb.so.2 is needed by pygnome-1.0.51-1
        libdb.so.2 is needed by python-1.5.2-13
        libdb.so.2 is needed by rpm-build-3.0.4-0.48
        libdb.so.2 is needed by rpm-python-3.0.4-0.48
        libdb.so.2 is needed by wmconfig-0.9.8-1
        libdb.so.2 is needed by rpm-3.0.5-9.6x
        libdb.so.2(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by gnome-libs-1.0.55-12
        libdb.so.2(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by python-1.5.2-13
        libdb.so.2(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by rpm-3.0.5-9.6x
        libdb.so.3 is needed by perl-5.00503-10
        libdb.so.3 is needed by python-1.5.2-13
        libdb.so.3 is needed by sendmail-8.9.3-20
        libdb.so.3 is needed by pam-0.72-20
        libdb.so.3(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by perl-5.00503-10
        libdb.so.3(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by python-1.5.2-13
        libdb.so.3(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by pam-0.72-20
        libdb.so.3(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by perl-5.00503-10
        libdb.so.3(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by sendmail-8.9.3-20

------------------------------

From: Brent Pathakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 04:38:18 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> [...]
> cut prices just because they're succesful. In a capitalist economy,
> succesful companies are supposed to make profit.
>
> >Do you happen to know what percentage of their revenue is from that?
> >How much do they charge for it?
>
> No, I don't. What I do know is that Id are vastly more succesful than
> other game software companies, which, by the argument put forth by the
> Linux zealots, obliges them to reduce their prices.
>
> > If you want to make a comparison
> >between id and MS, then I would think you'd want to compare the price of
> >this game engine to the OEM price of Windows,
>
> I don't want to do this. The correct comparison is between Id and a random
> game software company.
>
> > rather than comparing the
> >retail price of a game to the OEM price of Windows.
>
> I don't appear to have explained this very well.
>
> I am *not* comparing the price of a game  with Windows.
>
> What I am doing is pointing out that game companies don't lower their
> prices just because they're doing well. And they're not obliged to
> do so.
>
> >I don't whine about the price of Windows, as I don't buy it.  I do
> >observe that the retail price has been quite constant in spite of the
> >volume being much higher now than five or ten years ago.  I can also
>
> My point is, so what ? The fact that they are succesful does not in any
> way oblige them to reduce their prices.
>
> >observe that Windows seems to be a higher percentage of the system cost
> >than it used to be.
>
> I think this is a very hard claim to support. It's certainly true if you
> compare todays budget system with yesterday's top of the line, but barring
> this sort of blatant intellectual dishonesty, it's not really true. Was
> Windows OEM really much less than $50- five years back ?
>
> > And I can observe that these don't seem to be quite
> >consistent with a competitive free market model, as the profit margins
> >MS makes imply that they are selling their product for far more than the
> >cost of production.
>
> This could mean a lot of things. It could mean, for example, that they are
> able to produce the same value at a lower cost of production. The fact
> that there are winners and losers is not inconsistent with a "competitive
> free market model".
>
> >One could make a case that Windows is reasonably priced by some critera,
> >which is apparently what you are doing, but how do you decide what's
> >"reasonable" other thay via subjective things such as "I don't mind
> >paying that much".
>
> Compare it with the price of other operating systems. It's in the same
> ballpark.
>
> > I think a case can be made that it could potentially
> >be cheaper if there were actual competition.
>
> $50- is already fairly cheap. I think you'd have a hard time making a
> case that the sales increase resulting from further reduction in price
> would justify the loss of per-sale revenue.

----snip----
You're referring to the price of an upgrade...the full version is about
$180.  The way most people by OS's is pre-insstalled on a new system.
Bought that way, the price is a higher than than $180, and a lot higher
than the $50 you quoted..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: bash: scp: command not found (but...)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 04:43:57 GMT

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:19:52 -0800, Noah Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>First, it is installed and in my path because it runs!

It is in your path when you're using an interactive shell.  This will
probably not be the same as the path when you do a remote exec with ssh,
which is what scp actually does.

You probably need to build ssh with "configure --with-default-path=blah".
See the INSTALL file for details.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Dan Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: Pipes
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 04:46:58 GMT

Sounds like you want us to do your homework.
Lookup "FIFO" and "mknod" for starters.

Manoj K Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>How to use pipes to communicate between tow child processes of a parent
>process. I would be glad if you explain briefly witha psuedocode.
>Thanks in advance,
>-Manoj.

-
Dan Anderson          anderson
San Diego,             - @ -
California, USA     computer.org

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie: Best information channels...
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 03:57:02 GMT

Chris Czeyka writes:
> What are your best and quickest information channel to get problems
> quickly solved?

> How about IRC...

I tried monitoring the Debian IRC channel a few times.  Complete chaos.  I
can't imagine how anyone can accomplish anything on IRC.

> ...or other good Internet discussion boards?

You mean Web "boards"?  They seem like awkward imitations of Usenet.

Mailing lists are quite useful, though.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Cjv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:56:40 -0800

Thank you very much, occasionally RTFM isnt enough, and its nice when
somebody takes the time to explain.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Problem of iptables -- Can't load modules
Date: 28 Feb 2001 23:55:21 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Carfield Yim wrote:
>> You are trying to load a module that doesn't exist.
>>
>> $ ls /lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter
>> ip_conntrack.o      ipt_MARK.o        ipt_limit.o      ipt_tos.o
>> ip_conntrack_ftp.o  ipt_MASQUERADE.o  ipt_mac.o        ipt_unclean.o
>> ip_nat_ftp.o        ipt_REDIRECT.o    ipt_mark.o       iptable_filter.o
>> ip_tables.o         ipt_REJECT.o      ipt_multiport.o  iptable_mangle.o
>> ipt_LOG.o           ipt_TOS.o         ipt_state.o      iptable_nat.o

> You mean I should load ip_tables ?

I guess so.  It would depend on what you're trying to do, of course.

 http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/unreliable-guides/NAT-HOWTO/

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: "John W. Krahn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Regular Expression Syntax Limitation?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 04:52:19 GMT

Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to use grep to filter a file whenever it says Copyright
> [some name other than Microsoft].
>
> I thought this expression syntax might be appropriate:
>
> 'opyright.*[^M][^i][^c][^r][^o][^s][^o][^f][^t]'
>
> However this still finds strings that are Copyright ... Microsoft (e.g.
> Copyright (c) 1997 - 1999 Microsoft Corporation). This makes sense
> because, for example, " (c) 1997" doesn't match "Microsoft".
>
> Any advice about how to approach this situation differently?

$ perl -n0777 -e '/(?i:copyright).*?(?!Microsoft)/ and print "$ARGV\n"'
*

John

------------------------------

From: Brent Pathakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 05:05:29 GMT

Chris Czeyka wrote:

> Short and philosophical question:
>
> What are your best and quickest information channel to get problems
> quickly solved?
>
> okay.. this newsgroup.. of course.
>
> How about IRC or other good Internet discussion boards?
>
> just curious,
> best regards,
> Chris
Couple of suggestions...

www.linuxnewbie.org   .. always has some good info.

If you're using Linux-mandrake,

www.mandrakeuser.org
or
if you go to www.linux-mandrake.com
and click on support, the have a couple of mailing lists.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: suidperl - where the hell is it?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 05:39:41 GMT

I've looked eveywhere, I do not have suidperl on my system, freshmeat, osdn,
etc all do not have anything.  Where can I get this?

------------------------------

From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing windows 2000
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 05:39:16 GMT

Many thanks.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:26:45 GMT

Chris Czeyka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Short and philosophical question:

> What are your best and quickest information channel to get problems quickly
> solved?

in order of usefullness:
http://www.deja.com
http://www.geocrawler.com
http://www.google.com

and of course:
http://www.linuxdoc.org

for debian:
http://www.debianhelp.org

Start by just pasting a portion of your error message into the search field
of any of the above resources.

> okay.. this newsgroup.. of course.

> How about IRC or other good Internet discussion boards?

irc is next to useless unless you get lucky.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benjamin Stocker)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: wrong filerights
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:26:49 GMT

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:05:45 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>By mistake I changed the file owner and group under /etc (the whole tree under /etc
>infact...)
>and now I cannot start X if I'm not root, How do I get the default owner and group
>back ??
>
>/Peter

Most files have "-rw-r--r-- root root" but there are many exceptions: shadow,
smbpasswd, su1, etc. On some distros (SuSE), there are scripts to restore
permissions. You also should check the xserver logfile to find out what files
have insufficient perms.

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:33:05 +1000

from /
chmod 777  etc -R
replace 777 with the right permishions.