Linux-Misc Digest #265, Volume #27                Thu, 1 Mar 01 21:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Plextor can't mount CDs 121032A does not grab > 8x ("Mike Paul")
  Re: Linux partitioning question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  1.2 Giga bytes source code - KDE 2.1, no impression. :( (Try more)
  Re: How do I include errno.h ? ("Cedric Chausson")
  Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. ("Jeff Susanj")
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. (Frank da Cruz)
  Re: How to display texinfo help pages? (George White)
  compiling modules for a different kernel version? (Krzys Majewski)
  http loopback taking 14 minutes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  NETLINK stuff in kernel 2.4 ("René Scheibe")
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: smbol table has incorrect version number ? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Linux partitioning question ("Greg H.")
  Can I print to my LaserJet 3100 from Linux? (Robert MacGregor)
  Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes ("D. Stimits")
  Re: Linux as terminal emulator. (Joe Doupnik)
  Re: 1.2 Giga bytes source code - KDE 2.1, no impression. :( (Steve Lamb)
  Re: Web page publishing (Goodyear)
  Re: Web page publishing (Goodyear)
  Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes (Dean Thompson)
  Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can I print to my LaserJet 3100 from Linux? (Dean Thompson)

From: "Mike Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Plextor can't mount CDs 121032A does not grab > 8x
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:55:50 +0500

> I don't load the IDE driver as a module, it is compiled into the kernel.
>  I'll try to insert the hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc command in the
> /sbin/init.d/boot.local file.

Next time I compile the kernel, I'm gonna turn off "use DMA by default"
and just enable it manually using hdparm in the init scripts for the
drives where it's useful.  It doesn't seem to do much anyway, since it
shows "hda:DMA" and "hdb:DMA" in the bootup messages but then hdparm says
they're not using DMA.  (See my other posting in this group entitled
"hdparm & UltraDMA")
--

Mike Paul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux partitioning question
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:20:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Doug Lutterloh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Why do I want to guess how much I will need for /home and /usr when
: I can just lump them together in one big partition and use all my
: space as efficiently as possible.

I would reccomend at least splitting /home off - if you have to reinstall
the system for some reason, it is nice to not have to lose your /home crap.

--
    Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           SEX           DRUGS           UNIX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Try more)
Subject: 1.2 Giga bytes source code - KDE 2.1, no impression. :(
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:22:48 GMT

Hello,

For 24 hours, I compiled the full KDE 2.1 source code at the bottom.
Cause I'm using KDE 1.x right now, and wanted to see what's the KDE 2.1.

To compile it, I downloaded Qt-2.2.4 source code and build it. <- 74M
openssl-0.9.6 <- 18M
KDE 2.1 source <- 1.2G

during compile, kssl part in kdelib directory had error so, I spent about
two hours for patching the kssl source code. Fortunately, the guy who made this
source did very simple mistakes: A little type mismatch from
openssl library and undefined functions and constants.

The building process is as follow.
  Linux box: Celeron 450 x2
             Ram     64M

  Qt-2.2.4
  Openssl-0.9.6
  > building kde 2.1 system
  kdesupport
  kdelib
  kdebase
   (and other optional stuffs)
  kdeadmin
  kdebindings
  kdenetwork
  kdepim
  kdeuitls

I got exhasuted cause in 3:00 a.m today I just finished KDE 2.1 compilation and
set the environment variable. Then, startx

KDE 2.1 showed it's face to me. Well, no impression.
It was looking nice compared with KDE 1.x.but, just another clone
of GUI for Linux system. Konquror showed very nasty rendering image
to me. Maybe I have small RAM memory?

I would say "The KDE teams have done a good job!"
but, won't say "The KDE teams are great!"
What I felt was the duplication of Microsoft Windows 9x.
The source code was huge! 1.2GB. It should be some million
lines of code except the manual and documents.

24 hours hard work and just one hour of demo,
then it had to rest for some days. Cause kde 1.x and
unstable netscape gave me comfortable.

I felt the end of 2D based GUI system personally.
It seems not effective compared with text mode enviroment
when the job becomes more and more complex. For example,
can Visual C++'s ID compile 10 projects simultaneously
like Linux which just using Xterm and keyboard? I don't think so.
The GUI system eat a lot of memory for dealing with their
own event and graphic process.

I've become like text interface and voice recognition
rather than two dimensional GUI.
Text program is very fast and stable. After I buy some
sound devices, speaker and microphone anda amplifier
I gonna play with voice related programs in Linux.

Blue Skies~

------------------------------

From: "Cedric Chausson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED](halteauspam)>
Subject: Re: How do I include errno.h ?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:25:34 +0100

Thanks for your reply.

What is thr right place for those links to point ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MS Windows XP vs Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:35:32 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: not experts.  This is why Linux/GNU is not as prevalent as MS Windows.

I'd rather use an OS designed for and by computer experts, even if it
isn't as "prevalent as MS Windows"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:39:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: LOL... Anyone remember that pre-win95 MS attempt at making computers
: easier? Microsoft BOB?

The one and only pure M$ "innovation" - look at what they produc
when they don't just steal stuff.

--
    Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           SEX           DRUGS           UNIX

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
From: "Jeff Susanj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as terminal emulator.
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:17:13 GMT

"Frank da Cruz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:97bck4$809$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> ...Now free software is
> developed by:
>
>  . Students who will soon get real jobs.
>  . People stealing time from their real jobs.
>  . A very few individuals who are actually paid to do it.
>  . Companies that hope it will destroy their competition.
>  . Companies that believe it will somehow turn a profit.
>
> This is all fine with me -- everybody should do what they please if it
> doesn't hurt anyone else.  But it's not exactly a sound and stable system.
> Unpaid developers have little incentive to care about what their users
want.
> And, with very few exceptions, it does not provide a career path except in
> the sense that if you become famous for some free creation, then you can
get
> a high-paying job at an investment bank and disappear from the scene.

Paid developers have little incentive to care about users since they only do
what the marketing types say.  I would be much more likely to care about
users if I was the one talking to the users and deciding what should be
included in the next release.  Being a no-name software gerbil in a maze of
cubicles does not engender pride in  the product.  The best software is
produced by people who are passionate about their product, not necessarily
those who are paid big bucks.

Jeff S.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Date: 1 Mar 2001 23:50:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jeff Susanj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Paid developers have little incentive to care about users since they only do
: what the marketing types say.  I would be much more likely to care about
: users if I was the one talking to the users and deciding what should be
: included in the next release.  Being a no-name software gerbil in a maze of
: cubicles does not engender pride in  the product.  The best software is
: produced by people who are passionate about their product, not necessarily
: those who are paid big bucks.
:
All true.   However, there's a happy medium -- developers in small projects
like ours, who are not bossed by marketing managers, but instead are in direct
contact with their user community, and driven by their reports, suggestions,
ctiticism, requests, and concerns, to the best of our ability to keep up.
It's not the only model, but it's a good model for us.

By the way, we don't sit in a maze of cubicles either.  Take a look:

  http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/timeline.html

- Frank

------------------------------

From: George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to display texinfo help pages?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:53:22 -0400

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Bill S wrote:

> I am running rh5.2.  When I look for help in the man pages, I read the
> message "...the Texinfo documentation is now the authoritive source".
> My question is, what is the syntax for displaying texinfo pages?"   How
> am I sure they are installed?

Texinfo documents can be formatted to get the info hypertext format
(these are just ASCII text) but also .dvi, .pdf, or ps.  Since there
are things like TeX to html, you could probably get html as well.

Info files are usually installed in /usr/info, /usr/local/info, etc.  In
addition to the info hypertext files (each program may have several files)
there should be a file called 'dir' (info's version of 'index.html').

There are a number of info file viewers.  If you use emacs, '^Hi' should
load the info 'dir'.  You can use emacs to view both info and man
formats.  Info is designed to be self-documenting, so usually the 'dir'
will have a tutorial on navigating info docs.
Tkman can display both conventional man pages and info files.  The
'info-stand' program (usually installed as 'info')  is a stand-alone
version that has emacs look and feel.  Saxinfo is another X app that can
be used to view info files.

--
George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Halifax, Nova Scotia

------------------------------

From: Krzys Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: compiling modules for a different kernel version?
Date: 01 Mar 2001 15:58:20 -0800

Is it  possible to compile  third-party kernel modules (in  this case,
bttv.o) on a machine with  a different (minor) kernel version than the
machine on which the modules will be used? I've enabled MODVERSIONS on
both kernels, but I'm still getting unresolved symbols from depmod.
-chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: http loopback taking 14 minutes
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:35:19 -0800

I have a java app which calls httpd.  Both httpd and my java app are on
the same box, but I address the server with its name, i.e.
http://www.nowhere.com:8080/my.jsp.  I can see that "my.jsp" has
finished, by its having written to a log, but may java app, which is
acting as the client, does not get a response for as long as 14 minutes.

What could create the delay?  I can ping in 0.1ms, but this http
response...

- Craig

------------------------------

From: "René Scheibe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NETLINK stuff in kernel 2.4
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 01:38:38 +0100

Can you tell me how to do the following things with kernel 2.4
and iptables and say something about my attempts to solve them.

***1***
ipchains -A input -s IP -p tcp 80 -l #...or so
# When blocking something and want to log it
# have to create an extra rule with target -LOG???

***2***
echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
  >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_masq_udp_dloose
  >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag
# Files don't exist anymore???
# Don't have to defrag the packets before NAT???
# ...now implemented in the code itself???
# what about the other 2 files?

***3***
ipchains -A output -p tcp -d 0/0 21:23 -t 0x01 0x10
#for connections from the linuxbox itself
#iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 21:23 -t mangle
   -j TOS --set-tos 0x10 #minimize Delay
#for forwarded connections
#iptables -A PREROUTING -p tcp ...

***4***
ipchains -M -S 7200 10 160

***5***
modprobe ip_masq_ftp
#modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
#modprobe ip_nat_ftp

***6***
iptables -P INPUT REJECT
# Cannot set default policy to an extended target???
# The iptables-HOWTO says just ACCEPT or DROP as policies

***7***
# redirecting ports 80 and 443 to the local Squid for
# transparent proxying
# Can Squid handle 443 requests
#iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -m multiport --dport 80,443 \
#   -j REDIRECT --to-ports 3128

***8***
How to get ICQ with ICQ-Phone, File-Transferring working???
Do some portforwarding but how?
Or how about setting up a SOCKS5 Proxy?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Date: 2 Mar 2001 00:47:31 GMT

In comp.protocols.kermit.misc Frank da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: By the way, we don't sit in a maze of cubicles either.  Take a look:

:   http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/timeline.html

Darn, I really was hoping for a picture of you.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 01:16:24 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: smbol table has incorrect version number ?

Clinton Carr wrote:

> One of my Linux systems is crashing ever so often with page faults.  It
> appears to occur most often with cron jobs are run.  I've search the net but
> I didn't see anything that pointed to the cause.  However, I do notice the
> following message at boot time.
>
> symbol table has incorrect version number
>
> Why is this and could it be related to the crashes?  How do I eliminate this
> message?
>
> Thanks,

sounds as if you have mucked it up, read

man klogd

and copy the System.map file that belongs to your kernel to /boot/System.map.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 01:06:07 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> not talking about servers and multi-user (as in humans, not daemons and other
>> processes) systems; I'm concentrating on Joe Linux.

> Oh, puhleez. The average person is not as dumb as the man on the
> clapham omnibus. I hope.

Then here's where we (or I) stop, I suppose.  We both have different
perspectives on what's important given the role of the machine.

Just make note that I do agree with what you've been saying.  It's just
that I think it's more than needed in _some_ situations.  Some posters seem
to be getting the impression that I've thrown the HOWTO's (and ideal) out
the window when I have not.

>> Phew!  Have I gone completely OT on this thread or what?  I hope I didn't make
>> the poster who started this thread regret it :-)

> His request for an abortion licence was turned down.

Heh :-)

Greg

------------------------------

From: Robert MacGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Can I print to my LaserJet 3100 from Linux?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:23:41 -0800

The answer is probably 'no' but I'll ask anyway..

I have a HP LaserJet 3100 printer.  Each of my workstations is currently
running Windows 2000, and because of this, I can share this printer
among the workstations.  Printer sharing was never part of HP's goals
with this product, apparently, because you can only share the printer
between two computers if both of their OS's are the same (Both W2K, NT
4, or 9x).

So, I want my own workstation to run Linux.  I'd rather not buy a
different printer just so I can print.

I am assuming that if I cannot share the printer between a W2K and a 98
box, that I definitely won't be able to share it between W2K and a Linux
box.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Is there some sort of proxy program I can run on the workstation to
which the LJ 3100 is connected that will create a "virtual" generic
shared printer device?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
-R

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:29:00 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a java app which calls httpd.  Both httpd and my java app are on
> the same box, but I address the server with its name, i.e.
> http://www.nowhere.com:8080/my.jsp.  I can see that "my.jsp" has
> finished, by its having written to a log, but may java app, which is
> acting as the client, does not get a response for as long as 14 minutes.
>
> What could create the delay?  I can ping in 0.1ms, but this http
> response...
>
> - Craig

Your name lookup is most likely timing out on one DNS server, then going
to the next. The lag is the timeout. You can verify this by using your
numeric/dotted-decimal ip address in place of "www.nowhere.com"...if
dotted-decimal form is fast, then it is your DNS source, whereby the
first one does not know the answer and takes its time getting to the
second source (and then maybe the third). A place to look is
/etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/host.conf. Be sure your /etc/hosts file is
searched first before DNS, and that DNS servers are listed correctly.
That way if "www.nowhere.com" is listed in /etc/hosts, it'll be found
instantly.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Doupnik)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Date: 1 Mar 01 18:08:34 MDT

In article <97mn88$jmq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Frank da Cruz) writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Jeff Susanj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Paid developers have little incentive to care about users since they only do
> : what the marketing types say.  I would be much more likely to care about
> : users if I was the one talking to the users and deciding what should be
> : included in the next release.  Being a no-name software gerbil in a maze of
> : cubicles does not engender pride in  the product.  The best software is
> : produced by people who are passionate about their product, not necessarily
> : those who are paid big bucks.
> :
> All true.   However, there's a happy medium -- developers in small projects
> like ours, who are not bossed by marketing managers, but instead are in direct
> contact with their user community, and driven by their reports, suggestions,
> ctiticism, requests, and concerns, to the best of our ability to keep up.
> It's not the only model, but it's a good model for us.
>
> By the way, we don't sit in a maze of cubicles either.  Take a look:
>
>   http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/timeline.html
>
> - Frank
========
        I have to add a little balance in this otherwise all-too-true
description. Amongst other groups, the team at Novell responsible for their
Internet Messaging Server product, NIMS, is very much like the Internet
developers of yore. Open, active, listen to user comments up to a reasonable
limit, pride in product. Sources aren't open, naturally, since this is
a commerical product, but the attitudes, product features and quality are
as if the material were open. It is a state of mind on their part, an
active decision as to the best way of being accepted in today's market.
        In most cases open software is changed by very few people, and
millions exercise their vocal cords to play "management." Things used to
work where folks wrote improved code and resubmitted it, pulling an oar,
but fewer people program these days and fewer yet are willing to become
immersed in complex systems before pushing keys.
        Yet, in the commerical arena many groups still thrive on the
concepts of open cooperation, even through such cooperation has to be
disguised under NDA or other filters. It's not as good as the real thing,
but it can and does produce results. Most good stuff comes from a few
individuals in each group, and you have to get a working relationship
established to play the pseudo-open game effectively.
        As Frank points out often, the other side of this coin is coins.
The "outsiders", the galley slaves pulling oars for the common good, are
not rewarded financially and thus the effort comes out of their hides. The
Kermit project is characteristically of the common good contribution kind,
but in real life the hard work is done by very very few people and they
need coins to eat. Rather than paying yet another $10-40 fee for a shareware
item put the money where it makes a bigger difference, where the folks
really care what the product is.
        Joe D.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Subject: Re: 1.2 Giga bytes source code - KDE 2.1, no impression. :(
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 01:59:31 -0000

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:22:48 GMT, Try more <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For 24 hours, I compiled the full KDE 2.1 source code at the bottom.
>Cause I'm using KDE 1.x right now, and wanted to see what's the KDE 2.1.

    For a comparison my upgrade to KDE 2.1 was simple.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

    30 minutes later, done.

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Web page publishing
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:06:57 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sounds like Caldera to me...
>
> It should be a pretty "full-scale" distribution, although it may
> eschew some complicated stuff like "server components."

That's right.  Caldera.  I used to hve Suse but found Caldera quite a bit
more user friendly.

--
thanks....Brian

------------------------------

From: Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:10:06 -0500

steve wrote:

> LOL, its the desktop distro from Caldera Systems, one of the most
> respected distros around - a full scale distro btw that doesn't try to
> be bleeding edge therefore it's very stable and just well...works.

That was my conclusion.  It installed and ran from the box.  No missing
dependencies and fun things like that.  (My personal favourite is "Cannot
find lpng").

> For a good gui web page editor for Unix/Linux try Amaya, put out by the
> W3 consortium. Quite good for an opensource editor.
>
> BTW The GIMP comes with the eDesktop distro. The user probably didn't
> install the right packages in the beginning.

I didn't see it.  Honest.

--
thanks....Brian

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:07:38 +1100

Hi!,

> I have a java app which calls httpd.  Both httpd and my java app are on
> the same box, but I address the server with its name, i.e.
> http://www.nowhere.com:8080/my.jsp.  I can see that "my.jsp" has
> finished, by its having written to a log, but may java app, which is
> acting as the client, does not get a response for as long as 14 minutes.
>
> What could create the delay?  I can ping in 0.1ms, but this http
> response...

Just out of interest, all the domain name server configurations have been
setup.  It isn't possible that the delay is caused by "httpd" not knowing
where to go to get a domain name lookup.  You might also want to turn off
"reverse domain name lookups" which are used when logging activities to the
log file (if it isn't already turned off).

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:09:11 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I have a java app which calls httpd.  Both httpd and my java app are on
> > the same box, but I address the server with its name, i.e.
> > http://www.nowhere.com:8080/my.jsp.  I can see that "my.jsp" has
> > finished, by its having written to a log, but may java app, which is
> > acting as the client, does not get a response for as long as 14 minutes.
> >
> > What could create the delay?  I can ping in 0.1ms, but this http
> > response...
> >
> > - Craig
>
> Your name lookup is most likely timing out on one DNS server, then going
> to the next. The lag is the timeout. You can verify this by using your
> numeric/dotted-decimal ip address in place of "www.nowhere.com"...if
> dotted-decimal form is fast, then it is your DNS source, whereby the
> first one does not know the answer and takes its time getting to the
> second source (and then maybe the third). A place to look is
> /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/host.conf. Be sure your /etc/hosts file is
> searched first before DNS, and that DNS servers are listed correctly.
> That way if "www.nowhere.com" is listed in /etc/hosts, it'll be found
> instantly.

My host.conf looks like this:
   order host,bind
   multi on

My resolv.conf, like this:
   domain nowhere.com
   nameserver 172.16.0.240
   nameserver 172.16.0.241
   search nowhere.com nowhere.net

and a nslookup returns (very quickly):
   # nslookup europa.nowhere.com
   Server:  ns1.nowhere.com
   Address:  172.16.0.240

   Non-authoritative answer:
   Name:    europa.nowhere.com
   Address:  172.16.0.42

   #

Anything look wrong...

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Can I print to my LaserJet 3100 from Linux?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:09:09 +1100

Hi Robert,

> I have a HP LaserJet 3100 printer.  Each of my workstations is currently
> running Windows 2000, and because of this, I can share this printer
> among the workstations.  Printer sharing was never part of HP's goals
> with this product, apparently, because you can only share the printer
> between two computers if both of their OS's are the same (Both W2K, NT
> 4, or 9x).

What is the interface to the HP LaserJet 3100?, does it support a ethernet
connection or does it support a standard parallel printer port ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--