Linux-Misc Digest #268, Volume #27                Fri, 2 Mar 01 10:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Corrupted fonts after viewing binary file ("Chris West")
  What are piranha, php, and phpfi? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: rc.d and redhat's setup/services ("Massimiliano Caovilla")
  Re: Strange 2.4.2 boot error (Patrick Rother)
  gnome login sessions / gnome bugs? ("IanB")
  rpm unpacking problem (Tommy Jensen)
  Re: X Server questions (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: toshiba laptop shuts off! ("Major Dondo")
  Re: print to email ("Major Dondo")
  Re: LILO and second master hard-disk ("Eric")
  Re: rc.d and redhat's setup/services ("Nils O. Selåsdal")
  Re: pts/x (Alex K)
  Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes (Dean Thompson)
  Re: Corrupted fonts after viewing binary file (Dave Brown)
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? (Tim Goodwin)
  Re: Tape Drives (Leonard Evens)
  Re: gcc problem ("Tauno Voipio")
  Problems with shared dial-up (B.F. Thornborrow)
  Unable to configure printer (Richard Kimber)
  Re: External modem on ThinkPad ("Tauno Voipio")
  Re: Boot problem (Leonard Evens)
  Re: gnome login sessions / gnome bugs? (Fabrice Colin)
  Re: rc.d and redhat's setup/services (Villy Kruse)

From: "Chris West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corrupted fonts after viewing binary file
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:18:22 -0000

try 'tput rmacs'

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What are piranha, php, and phpfi?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:20:41 -0500

I wanted to remove apache from my system using rpm -q apache, but get
the complaint:

valinux:root[/home/jdbeyer]# rpm -e apache
error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
        apache is needed by piranha-gui-0.4.14-1.2
        webserver is needed by php-3.0.15-2
        webserver is needed by phpfi-2.0.1-12
valinux:root[/home/jdbeyer]#

I assume if I were to run rpm -e apache piranha php phpfi that it
would remove all of them, but I do not know what piranha, php, and
phpfi are and I am afraid to remove them without knowing what they do.
I did a locate on these and they seem to be related to web servers,
but you never know with these rpm dependencies, so I thought it safer
to ask.

piranha, php, and phpfi do not seem to be the names of processes
running on my machine. If I run man piranha, man php, or man phpfi,
there is nothing.

Can I safely remove them from my system? (Red Hat Linux 6.2[.3] from
VA Linux Systems.) I do not wish to run a web server now, nor am I
ever likely to do so (and if I change my mind someday, I assume I
would wish to use the latest version of the stuff).

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Massimiliano Caovilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rc.d and redhat's setup/services
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:31:01 GMT

Nils O. Selåsdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message I2Kn6.5102
> put your script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> and run ntsysvv ?

It was the first thing I tried but it doesn't work.I think there's something
more to set up.

------------------------------

From: Patrick Rother <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange 2.4.2 boot error
Date: 02 Mar 2001 12:43:25 GMT

D. Stimits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> memtest-x86  generates a similar output if it can't read from the floppy.

> This same floppy works when making a boot disk from the redhat install,
> so it can't be the actual floppy or floppy drive.

>> > 0200
>> > AX:0212
>> > BX:6C00
>> > CX:5001
>> > DX:0000.
>> >
>> > PS: I'm especially interested in what the "0200" indicates, since it
>> > isn't a register dump.

$ ls -l /dev/floppy/0
brw-rw----   1 root     root       2,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/floppy/0
$

                                  ^^   ^^

Usually this error is a floppy problem.
Is the redhat install kernel small enough not to run into the defective
sectors?
Did you format the floppy to verify it?
Have you tried another floppy?

krd.

------------------------------

From: "IanB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnome login sessions / gnome bugs?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:45:51 GMT

I am using Red Hat 6.0, with graphic login enabled. I would like to know the
difference between logging in using options=>sessions=>default and options
=>sessions=>gnome. The reason I ask is that the log out button stopped
working on my gnome panel. Also at times the system became very slow. When I
logged back in using the default session, the button began working again,
and speed returned to normal. I have looked at the /etc/x11/xdm Xsession
script, and I believe this is where the different choices are activated.
There are no .xsession or .Xclients files in my home directory. Could there
be some kind of bad settings in the /usr/bin/gnome-session file? Is this a
problem with Gnome (panel v1.0.4? I am responsible for a dozen pentium 100
era machines, several are experiencing this problem.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tommy Jensen)
Subject: rpm unpacking problem
Date: 2 Mar 2001 13:08:25 GMT

        Twice now I tried to download from the SuSE download site
the g77 package (SuSE 7.0) at my workplace, copy it to a floppy,
take it with me home and attempt to unpack it. The same error
occurred in each case:

--

# rpm -i /floppy/g77.rpm

unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/
2.95.2/f771
cpio: read failed - Bad filedescriptor

--

        What does that mean? Were my downloads bad, my floppys busted,
and/or did I do something incredibly stupid?

        Thanks in advance!

Dr. Tommy R. Jensen                          Mathematisches Seminar
Tel.: +49 40 42838-6241                      der Universitaet Hamburg
Fax.: +49 40 42838-5190                                 Bundesstr. 55
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    D-20146 Hamburg

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: X Server questions
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:19:48 GMT

Oops, I have a correction to my post of yesterday...

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:01:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew
Pitcher) wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 15:51:41 GMT, Michel Bardiaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Wayne Howarth wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply.

>>> Are these the libraries that are used by the Desktop Manager to display
>>> buttons, etc?
>>
>>Actually, every application is free to choose its own toolkit. If you
>>like potatoid buttons and menus with serrated edges... go on! Simply,
>>all tools using GTK have more or less the same 'look and feel' - and
>>notably the DM and WM tools. But you can very well use KDE as DM, and
>>run GIMP which is GTK-based.
>
>Further, to make an analogy to MSWindows app development, the difference between
>these toolkits is like the difference between Microsoft's MFC and Borland's AWT:

make that Borland's OWL (Object Windows Library).

>both provide a bunch of predefined procedures for displaying certain common
>information (i.e. windows, buttons, listboxes, file-selection menus, print
>menus, etc.), but they differ in both the API calls used (which function name
>and arguments does what) and in the end-result look-and-feel of the widget.
>
>In the X world, instead of MFC and AWT, we have xLIB and GTK and OpenLook and

make that "MFC and OWL"

>Motif, and ... (well, you get the picture <g>). There's lots of different
>client-side widget sets to choose from, and _none_ of them are the 'officially
>approved, gen-you-wine, vendor-branded, use-no-other' API. Each has it's
>benefits and drawbacks. Application developers have to choose the
>toolkit/widgetset that best suits their (and in their opinion, the user's)
>needs.
>
>>> Should I wish to do some development in the future, I guess I'd not need to
>>> be concerned what visual objects (e.g. buttons, windows) would look like
>>> when run under another window manager, but that I'd simply create them using
>>> the environment that I would be working under??
>>
>>No, no, the look-and-feel of the 'visual objects' (which BTW are called
>>'widgets' by most 'nix toolkits) is governed by the *libraries* to which
>>one given applications links. Change the WM, that will only change the
>>look of the window borders, where the resize handles are, what there is
>>in the 'system' menu, whether you click left, middle or right on the
>>root window to access the 'start' menu... Change the DM and... I dunno,
>>I don't use any. But the *inside* of application windows will not
>>change.
>>
>>> I seem to remember in the
>>> past that although I used the 'twm' (?) window manager, by using various
>>> libraries applications could be made to have 'Motif like' characteristics.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Wayne.
>>
>>Greetings.
>>--
>>Michel Bardiaux
>>Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
>>Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10
>
>Lew Pitcher
>IT Consultant, Development Services
>Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group
>
>(Opinions expressed are my own, not my employers')

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Major Dondo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: toshiba laptop shuts off!
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:22:44 +0500

/var/log/messages says nothing.  No shutdown, no apmd messages.  It's as
if someone is pushing the power switch.

I did some more testing.  It seems that it shuts off consistently after
some 220+/- minutes of inactivity.

I'm still clueless.

--Yan

------------------------------

From: "Major Dondo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: print to email
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:25:41 +0500

Well for one thing, I need to have the ability to change the addressee.  I want
to do something like you suggest, but I need an interactive mail client
that can take piped input, then pop up and say "where do I send this?"

--Yan

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO and second master hard-disk
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:51:57 +0100

> > > other=/dev/hdc1
> > >     label=dos
> > >     #table=/dev/hdc
> >         map-drive=0x80
> >         to=0x81
> >         map-drive=0x81
> >         to=0x80
>
> If you want to give numbers better check.
> the hex numbering of drives is:
> Master on primary controller     hda = 0x80
> Slave on primary controller       hdb = 0x81
> Master on secondary controller  hdc = 0x82
> Slave on secondary controller     hdd = 0x83

You're joking, right?
Numbering is done on order of appearance.
you will never have 0x82 without 0x81,
and no guarantee that your BIOS will call hda 0x80.
If you choose in your BIOS to boot from hdb, chances
are, that it will be 0x80

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:01:24 +0100

"Massimiliano Caovilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9oMn6.47114$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Nils O. Selåsdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message I2Kn6.5102
> > put your script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> > and run ntsysvv ?
>
> It was the first thing I tried but it doesn't work.I think there's
something
> more to set up.
No.. thats it..unless ntsysv uses something special, it works wor me this
way with ksysv anyway..

just make sure the your file are eXecuteable, look at the rights of the
other files
lying there..

------------------------------

From: Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pts/x
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:12:08 -0100

"Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I recently had problems with pts/x's and the 'who' command behaviour -
> after an xterm (rxvt to be precise) crash who would show an extra line
> without any process (ps -ef) associated to that pts/x. After some digging
> I figured out that who takes its info from /var/run/wtmp, and all you have
> to do (maybe there's a cleaner way - dunno, sessreg didn't help) is remove
> the file and repeat the sequence of commands associated with it from
> /etc/boot! Now everything works once again, and I am quite happy I learned
> one more thing about Linux:-) But - while testing, I noticed - pts/x do
> not get allocated in order... I.e., when, having only pts/1 I opened
> another session, it was assigned pts/3 - not pts/2... I thought first -
> something still was wrong, but I checked another computer - the same
> behaviour... So, does anybody know why and how these numbers get
> allocated?

on my computer, slack7.1 kernel 2.4.0, i believe they get allocated "in
order".
ie pts3 after pts2, or pts1 if pts1 is already closed...

  / ak42

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:16:53 +1100

Hi!,

Thanks for the information, just one quick question, what is in your
/etc/hosts file ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+
|   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Date: 2 Mar 2001 08:35:27 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris West wrote:
>try 'tput rmacs'
>
>"Simon Andrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Whist working in a vga bash shell I accidentally "more"d a binary file
>> (I think it was boot.map).  For some reason this caused the screen font
>> for that shell to become corrupted.  I could still type, and the
>> commands were recognised, but the font just showed non-ascii characters.

Several commands may fix this sort of problem, depending up the terminal
type involve.  You might try typing:  "reset"  (usually fixes linux
terminals), or "stty sane" on systems which don't have "reset".

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Tim Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time?
Date: 02 Mar 2001 14:27:02 +0000

"J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>                                                          And the 'tee'
> command only seems to work for stdout, and not for stderr.

So join 'em together:

    command 2>&1 |tee logfile

Tim.
--
Tim Goodwin   | "Not ideal, I grant you, but life's
Leicester, UK | like that." -- Ian Batten

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Drives
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:18:00 -0600

Fred Mulharin wrote:

> I am building a small file server on an IBM PC for a Graphics business
> which would like backup support. I will be building this with Redhat
> 7.0.
> I would appreciate some advice on the choice for a tape drive to be used
> for Backup. The budget is tight (Of course).
>
>  I would like to schedule nightly backups of their data. they currently
> have about 1.5 gigs of graphics being stored on windows machines with no
> way to back them up. The Linux server will be running Samba, and I plan
> to have all of their data stored on the Linux box.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Fred Mulharin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Consider the HP IDE tape drives.  I think the latest one gives
5 GB uncompressed.   Linux kernels recognize the drive at /dev/ht0
(or /dev/nht0 for the non rewinding device).  With compression, you
should be able to get between 5 and 10 GB on a tape.  The drives
sell for $200-300.  Make sure you get the internal IDE version and
not the parallel port external version.

The only problem I've had with this drive is that it doesn't seem
to respond to some mt commands.  For example, I have been unable
to get it to get beyond "file 0", so if I put more than one tape
archive on the tape, finding later archives can be a problem.
I found the following works.   After each archive has been written,
I execute mt -f /dev/nht0 eof.   Then to position the tape at a
desired archive later, I use mt -f /dev/nht0 fsf N  where N is twice
the number of archives.  (I use tar with the z option to write the
archives.)

Some of this may have changed in the latest kernels.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc problem
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:42:40 GMT

"Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dave Seff wrote:
> >
> > I am having a problem with the gcc compiler. It seems that a program
such
> > as this:
> >
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > #include <string.h>
> >
> > main()
> > {
> >   char *string1 = "We will all shout \"Howdy\" now!\n";
> >   char *string2;
> >   int i, len;
> >
> >   len = strlen(string1);
> >   printf("%s\n", string1);
> >
> >   for(i = 0; i < len; i++)
> >     if (string1[i] == '\"')
> >       string1[i] = '\'';
> >
> >   printf("%s\n", string1);
> > }
> >
> > It compiles but segfaults on the string1[i] = '\''; line. This same code
> > runs file on Solaris and DGUX.
> >
> > My gcc is
> > gcc version 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)
> >
> > Any Ideas?

The variable string1 points to a constant character array. The other
operating systems should trap a write attempt, too. To make string1 to point
to a writable character array try:

char string1[] = "We will all shout \"Howdy\" now!\n";

For normal C strings the substitution is usually done:

i = 0;

while (string1[i] != '\0')
    {
    if (string[i] == '\"')
        string[i] = '\'';

    i++;
    }

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B.F. Thornborrow)
Subject: Problems with shared dial-up
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:44:59 GMT

Question:

I have setup a small network with an Internet connection via a Linux host
using IP masquerading.  I have set-up dial-on-demand and DNS forwarding for
the network.

The connection runs great, the only issue is on the initial dial-up.  When any
of the Windows 98 client computers try to connect to the internet, the host
will dials as expected.  Unfortunately, after about 20 - 25 seconds, the
client will error out with the message host cannot be found.  If the user
waits until the modem finishes negotiating, and then clicks "refresh" on the
client, everything works as expected.

How do I stop this annoying message on the Windows clients?  Please help, I've
been digging for 2 days to resolve this.

Brad

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unable to configure printer
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:40:02 +0000

I used to have a working printer (Mandrake 7.2, cups, Epson 680) but it now
doesn't function and I am unable to configure a new one.  When I start
printtool I get:-

unable to connect to cups server at /usr/lib/libDrakX/printer.pm line 384

I don't know if there is any connection, but I have recently installed a
cable modem and set up a simple firewall with mason.  However, when I
disable the firewall the printer problem still remains.

I have also tried using Drakconf with the same result.  I have also tried
reinstalling cups.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: External modem on ThinkPad
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:45:44 GMT

"John Dixon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have a TP A20m with an internal Lucent winmodem.  It works very well
> in data mode with the *very* snazzy linmodem driver.   For some reason,
> however, it does not work in fax mode, giving a "no response/command
> from remote" signal.  An old USRobotic pc card modem in this machine
> does fax stuff fairly well.
>
> So...I had an Aopen M56-EX/2 external hardware modem unused, so decided
> to hook it up to the TP for home/office use.
>
> For some reason the ThinkPad doesn't recognize it...indeed, it doesn't
> seem to be scanning the serial ports at boot - as does my Desktop with
> the exact same Mandrake 7.2 distro running the 2.4.2 kernel.  Is there
> something special that needs to be done to get a ThinkPad to recognize
> its serial port?  BTW, this external modem is flawlessly detected by
> Win98 on this machine, and works perfectly.
>
> How can I get Linux to see my serial port/ external modem?  I'm sure
> that I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

I had the same problem in my A21p. Check that the serial port is enabled in
the BIOS setup. It is disabled by default - probably to conserve power.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot problem
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:22:31 -0600

"Karl W. Schaefer" wrote:

> Ever see this???
>
> I found that if I booted from my floppy, all was well - only difference was
> the RAM specification.  Upon removal, all was fine.  Puzzle is, why does it
> fail now and didn't before?
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> Linux version 2.2.16-22 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
> egcs-2.91.66
> 1990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Tue Aug 22 16:16:55 EDT 2000
> Detected 550022kHz processor.
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 1097.73 BogoMIPS
> Memory: 257596k/262144k available (1048k kernel code, 412k reserved, 3024k
> data,
>  64k init, 0k bigmem)
> general protection fault: 0000
> CPU:    0
> EIP     0010:[<c01212df>]
> EFLAGS: 00010286
> eax: 0000009f   ebx: cffff0d8   ecx: ffffffff   edx: c0505000
> esi: 00000028   edi: ffffffff   ebp: cfffffe0   esp: c0235f40
> ds:  0018   es:0018   ss: 0018
> Process swapper (pid: 0, process nr: 0, stackpage=c0235000)
> Stack: c021cb40 00000282 ffffffff 00000212 00000001 00000015 00000020
> 00000000
>        c01214db c021cb40 00000015 00000000 00000020 00000000 00000000
> c0120a14
>        c021cb40 00000015 00000000 0009b800 00000000 00000000 00000066
> c0239c8a
> Call Trace: [<c01214db>] [<c0120a14>] [<c01da9a0>] [<c01dc47e>]
> [<c01060000>] {<c
> 0106000>] [<c0100175>]
> Code: 89 07 8b 4c 24 10 8b 09 89 4c 24 10 83 ee 01 73 b8 c7 01 00
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
> In swapper task - not syncing
>
> --
> Remove the obvious between and including
> the underscores, and then you'll reach me :-)

You may have a hardware problem.  For example, the floppy could
have gone bad.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Fabrice Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gnome login sessions / gnome bugs?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:54:28 +0000

IanB wrote:

> I am using Red Hat 6.0, with graphic login enabled. I would like to know the
> difference between logging in using options=>sessions=>default and options
> =>sessions=>gnome. The reason I ask is that the log out button stopped
> working on my gnome panel. Also at times the system became very slow. When I
> logged back in using the default session, the button began working again,
> and speed returned to normal. I have looked at the /etc/x11/xdm Xsession
> script, and I believe this is where the different choices are activated.
> There are no .xsession or .Xclients files in my home directory. Could there
> be some kind of bad settings in the /usr/bin/gnome-session file? Is this a
> problem with Gnome (panel v1.0.4? I am responsible for a dozen pentium 100
> era machines, several are experiencing this problem.
>
> Thanks
What's your display manager ? From what I remember GDM is default in
RH6.
If so, each entry under Sessions corresponds to a script in
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/ and it's very likely that they actually call
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession with as parameter "gnome" or whatever.
/usr/bin/gnome-session is just an executable that starts up Gnome stuff
like gmc, the panel, etc...
Looking at the version number you give (1.0.4), it's certainly a good
idea
to upgrade to Gnome 1.2 (http://www.ximian.com). When I had RH6, I used
have loads of weird problems with that version of Gnome and an upgrade
(the latest at the time was October Gnome) fixed them.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Date: 2 Mar 2001 14:57:02 GMT

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:01:24 +0100, Nils O. Selåsdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Massimiliano Caovilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9oMn6.47114$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Nils O. Selåsdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message I2Kn6.5102
>> > put your script in /etc/rc.d/init.d
>> > and run ntsysvv ?
>>
>> It was the first thing I tried but it doesn't work.I think there's
>something
>> more to set up.
>No.. thats it..unless ntsysv uses something special, it works wor me this
>way with ksysv anyway..
>
>just make sure the your file are eXecuteable, look at the rights of the
>other files
>lying there..

You also need to add the magic comment into the start script si
chkconfig can handle it.  The commands ntsysv and tksysv are
variant of chkconfig and you should read the man page for chkconfig
for the details.

Villy