Linux-Misc Digest #271, Volume #27                Fri, 2 Mar 01 20:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard (Matt Haley)
  Re: "phone dialer" type program ? (Edmond Song)
  how to auto start a console app ("Michael Makuch")
  Re: Several mingetty always running (Bill Unruh)
  Re: purpose of port 53 "domain port" (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: Athlon ("Mathias Rodenstein")
  Re: strange behavior of "su" with KDE2.1 ("Mathias Rodenstein")
  Re: Linux is always slow th enext morning, a cry for help! (Manfred Bartz)
  Re: Disabling screen overwriting after exiting vi ("Harlan Grove")
  Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem (Salmaan Shikari)
  Re: Disabling screen overwriting after exiting vi (Thomas Dickey)
  Re: Installing windows 2000 ("green")
  Re: Best html editor in Linux? (Yvan Loranger)
  Re: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem ("green")
  Re: toshiba laptop shuts off! ("retrogrouch")
  reading .doc files? (root)
  Re: reading .doc files? (Bob Tennent)
  Re: Errors on booting during partition check ("lenny")
  Re: Strange 2.4.2 boot error ("D. Stimits")
  arpwatch -> reboot (Daniel Suen)
  RedHat-6.2 + kernel-2.4.0+ printer problem.. (Ish Rattan)
  slrnpull problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Haley)
Subject: Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:17:49 -0700

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:28:08 +0100,
 Marius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have S.u.S.E. Linux installed on a slow machine which I am using as a
>router. I do not need a screen for it but before I switch off power, I
>have to let it shut down of course.

Setup ssh on the router and then you can login to it remotely, su to root
and:

shutdown -h +1 & # Wait 1 minute and put in bkgnd so we can disconnect

then logout.

--
Matt Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mandrake 7.2 / RedHat 6.1 / Windows 98 SE / FreeBSD 4.2 / Windows NT 4

------------------------------

From: Edmond Song <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "phone dialer" type program ?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:18:55 -0600

==============F43FE372A935DB3C068AF709

Will minicom do?

--
O--------------------------------------------------------------------------O
|                                   |  Yucheng Song (ËÎÓñ³É)               |

==============F43FE372A935DB3C068AF709

Will minicom do?
program
dialup
log to

<pre>--&nbsp;
O--------------------------------------------------------------------------O
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |&nbsp; Yucheng Song
|(&Euml;&Icirc;&Oacute;&ntilde;&sup3;&Eacute;)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _/_/_/_/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/&nbsp; _/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/_/_/_/&nbsp;
||&nbsp; Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _/&nbsp;
|_/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; University
|of
|Illinois&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
|&nbsp;&nbsp; _/_/_/_/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/_/_/&nbsp;&nbsp;
|_/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; 105 S. Gregory
|Street&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|_/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp;
|Urbana, IL
|61801&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
| _/_/_/_/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/_/_/&nbsp;&nbsp; _/_/_/_/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
||&nbsp; Ph : (217)-244-6036(O),355-7832(H)&nbsp; |
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |&nbsp; Fax: (217)-244-4393(O),355-7832(H)&nbsp; |
O--------------------------------------------------------------------------O</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Michael Makuch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.apps,linux.dev.config,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Subject: how to auto start a console app
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:29:56 -0600

I have a linux box dedicated to playing mp3's. I wrote my own app using perl
and a number of public domain libraries. It's not an X application. It just
uses ncurses. I'm running RedHat 7.

I want my app to automatically startup on the console tty1 after bootup. I
tried adjusting /etc/inittab to run my app instead of mingetty. This appears
to work at first but there are odd problems that arise in this
configuration. Since I'm still developing my app I'll make some changes and
kill the instance on tty1. What happens is that for some reason when the app
restarts, it redirects stdout to the process from which I killed it. stdin
is not redirected and in fact at this point the app won't read stdin from
anywhere I try to key it in. The app basically hangs.

Is there something wrong with trying to run an app this way, via
/etc/inittab? Perhaps the app needs to behave in some certain way in order
to run this way?

Is there a better/correct way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mike Makuch

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Several mingetty always running
Date: 2 Mar 2001 22:32:40 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Federico Bravo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi. I always have 6 processes /sbin/mingetty running on my RH 7.0. Is
>that normal ( BTW what does mingetty actually do ? ).

Normal. Those are the getty programs waiting to handle the input from the
six (alt-ctrl-F1 to F6) virtual terminals RH sets up for you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: purpose of port 53 "domain port"
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:36:12 GMT

In article <RYSn6.20159$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>What is the purpose of port 53 the "domain port"?  I'm trying to close up
>ports that have to need ot exposed to the internet and I'm not sure about
>this one.  I am running a name server is this vital for that?  If not what
>port does a dns server use?  Thanks.
[-]
You can let the server run on a different port, it's not vital, but of
course your clients need to know.

If doing a netstat -na you'll see.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: "Mathias Rodenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:32:50 +0100

so what would be the best current kernel to use for athlons right now?

------------------------------

From: "Mathias Rodenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange behavior of "su" with KDE2.1
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:50:18 +0100

maybe kde changes the keyboard layout...change the password to something
simple (best would be numbers no y's or z's etc...) and try again..

comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat,mailing.unix.samba-ntdom
Subject: Re: Linux is always slow th enext morning, a cry for help!
From: Manfred Bartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:00:45 GMT

Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Manfred Bartz wrote:
> > Use qmail, or if you have religous objections to it,then maybe postfix.
>
> I have to say, dj doesn't make it easy.  I tried once and was
> defeated by the interlocking nested dependencies on his other
> packages.

What is an ``interlocking nested dependency''?

As with all packages there are simple, hierarchical dependencies:
F.e. virtually all programs need libc, some need other libraries or
they need packages which depend on other libraries.  Your printer
will work but won't be very useful without ghostscript, etc...

qmail needs ucspi-tcp, cdb is useful but optional.
deamontools is completely optional.
I might have forgotten something, but I don't remember ever having had
a significant problem when compiling from source as per the authors
instructions.

Did you compile from source or use a package?

I once installed qmail from a debian package and it put files where
the debian people think they should be, not where the author wants them
to be.  Consequently other software which I compiled from source (no
package available) failed to find qmail.  Wiping the Debian package
and installing qmail as intended by the author worked without a hitch
and was compatible with everything else.

--
Manfred
ipchainsLogAnalyzer, NetCalc, whois at: <http://logi.cc/linux/>

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disabling screen overwriting after exiting vi
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:27:10 GMT

Tony Stocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:97p2js$hh8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>I'm running both RedHat and Mandrake systems and many users are complaining
>to me of a "feature" of these distributions (or perhaps Linux in general).
>Here's the situation:
>
>* open a file with vi
>* exit vi
>
>Instead of the information from vi remaining on the screen, the screen is
>reset to the previous screen before vi was launched.
>
>I have tried changing the .Xdefaults file to include:
>XTerm.VT100.titeInhibit:  false
>or
>xterm*titeInhibit: off
>
>But neither has any effect.
>
>Can someone please tell me how to disable this "feature" of Linux either on
>a per-user basis or system-wide?

On Linux systems vi is Vim. Read online help for restorescreen. That is,
load vi and issue the command  :help restorescreen  .

------------------------------

From: Salmaan Shikari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:30:07 -0000

I do not have that much experience with Linux and I recently installed
Redhat 7.0.

1. I downloaded the complete doom from C-net's downloads section and
unzipped the files using gunzip.

2. Then I untarred the files with tar xvf.

3. I 'cd'd to the doom-1.8 directory, modified the README.config and copied
it to /usr/local/lib/libvga.config.

4. I also added the following line to my .bashrc file:
export PATH=.:/home/sshikari/doom-1.8:$PATH

5. and then typed source .bashrc

6. When I try to run xdoom or sdoom from the command line (as root) I get
the message: bash: ./xdoom: cannot execute binary file

What am I doing wrong?  I have been able to get other programs like
LimeWire to install and run on my machine.  Doom has never worked though.

Thank you for your help.

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2 Mar 2001 23:32:20 GMT

Tony Stocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All,

> I'm running both RedHat and Mandrake systems and many users are complaining
> to me of a "feature" of these distributions (or perhaps Linux in general).
> Here's the situation:

> * open a file with vi
> * exit vi

> Instead of the information from vi remaining on the screen, the screen is
> reset to the previous screen before vi was launched.

> I have tried changing the .Xdefaults file to include:
> XTerm.VT100.titeInhibit:  false
> or
> xterm*titeInhibit: off

> But neither has any effect.

titeInhibit affects termcap (by telling xterm to remove part of the $TERMCAP
variable - the part that switchies between normal and alternate screens); Linux
mainly uses terminfo.  If you use $TERM set to xterm-xfree86, it uses an
different escape sequence which is disabled by the titeInhibit resource.

> Can someone please tell me how to disable this "feature" of Linux either on
> a per-user basis or system-wide?

it's not a '"feature" of Linux', but something that's been in use on various
Unix systems for the past ten years.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing windows 2000
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:44:09 +1000

"Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Ax6n6.451$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> How did you put lilo on the same hd partition as linux.?  And determine
that
> it was working before installing win2000?
>
> And what (and where) is xosl (xosl.org) ?

a boot manager that can be found at http://www.xosl.org

It allows you to boot from each partition easly with a Gui.

in lilo.conf

add a entry
other=/dev/hda5

label lilo_on_linux_partition

alias lilo

table /dev/hda

then run lilo.

then  change
boot=/dev/hda

boot=/dev/hdax

where x is the linux partition assuming a ide drive.

run lilo.

now you have lilo installed in the boot secter and in partition x on
/dev/hda

when lilo prompt apears type lilo or lilo_on_linux_partition (both the same)

and you should see another lilo prompt that will load linux (or lilo again
if you left the other lilo entry still in it.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Best html editor in Linux?
Date: 2 Mar 2001 23:41:41 GMT

Edmond Song ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> What is the best webpage editor for linux? I prefer having equations and
> figures in the html files. Thanks

You should have read previous threads on precisely this question instead
of asking the question all over again!

--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.0 Doom Installation Problem
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:49:37 +1000

check you have permisions the execute it. like 777
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "retrogrouch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: toshiba laptop shuts off!
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:49:04 +0500

It's under AC power - but you're right, it appears as though the battery
timer is running and shutting down when it thinks the battery is drained.

I'm going on the assumption that that is the case - I'll try to tweak
some of the battery alarm settings to see if that makes any
difference....  Mabe I need to set it for % drained, and not time
remaining.....

--Yan

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: reading .doc files?
Date: 02 Mar 2001 16:00:44 -0800

Anyone know of any Linux apps that'll allow me
to read .doc files?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: reading .doc files?
Date: 3 Mar 2001 00:20:57 GMT

On 02 Mar 2001 16:00:44 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 >Anyone know of any Linux apps that'll allow me
 >to read .doc files?

antiword, wordperfect, wv (mswordview), abiword, staroffice, ...

and, on the web:

http://wheel.compose.cs.cmu.edu:8001/cgi-bin/browse/objweb

------------------------------

From: "lenny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Errors on booting during partition check
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:33:36 GMT

> Hi
> I get these errors on booting during the Partition check:

> Is the hard disk on the way out?  Or is this fixable?
>
> Thanks Rich

You can try fsck see the man page for more info

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:50:33 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange 2.4.2 boot error

Patrick Rother wrote:

> D. Stimits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> memtest-x86  generates a similar output if it can't read from the floppy.
>
> > This same floppy works when making a boot disk from the redhat install,
> > so it can't be the actual floppy or floppy drive.

> $ ls -l /dev/floppy/0
> brw-rw----   1 root     root       2,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/floppy/0
> $
>
>                                   ^^   ^^
>
> Usually this error is a floppy problem.
> Is the redhat install kernel small enough not to run into the defective
> sectors?
> Did you format the floppy to verify it?
> Have you tried another floppy?
>
> krd.

This same thread picked up in the comp.os.linux.development.system news
group; originally I posted here and had no results for a while, so I
posted there later. Most of the floppy issues have been tested.
Different floppies have the same result. The same floppy works
successfully with other images. The same or different floppy also works
when using mkbootdisk...it is make bzdisk that fails, with register
dumps, rather than any LILO error. An interesting observation was found
and posted in the comp.os.linux.development.system news group, showing
the possibility that current code was causing the floppy to continue to
read beyond the end of where it should stop at. I hope that idea is
correct, it would mean a fix is possible. In summary, no floppy works
with make bzdisk on 2.4.2, on two of my machines; all floppies work with
this same 2.4.2 kernel on both machines if created via the mkbootdisk
utility. All failures result in an infinite loop of register dump.
Redhat stock kernels succeed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Suen)
Subject: arpwatch -> reboot
Date: 3 Mar 2001 01:00:17 GMT

Hi All,

I had a RedHat 7.0 machine and it runs smoothly until one day when I
initiate the arpwatch daemon, it reboots itself overnight. Can anyone
explain what had happened?

-daniel.

------------------------------

From: Ish Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat-6.2 + kernel-2.4.0+ printer problem..
Date: 2 Mar 2001 20:07:09 -0500

Hello,

Solved my printer problem. Forgot to switch om parallel printer
support in chat devices..

- ishwar

------------------------------

Subject: slrnpull problem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:08:32 GMT

I use slrnpull for reading offline news. Even after getting new news, When I start
with command
slrn -C -f .jnewsrc.spool
I get no new news status. Every time I am creating .jnewsrc.spool. This leads to
seeing news already read by me. further during posting I get error as follows.
03/03/2001 06:04:38 Attempting to post
/var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/X983493467-1138-1.lvgandhi...
03/03/2001 06:04:39 ***Article
/var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/X983493467-1138-1.lvgandhi rejected. status = 441: 441
435 Duplicate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
03/03/2001 06:04:39 ***Saving article in /var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/rejects...
03/03/2001 06:04:39 ***Posting of
/var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/X983493467-1138-1.lvgandhi failed.
03/03/2001 06:04:39 Attempting to post
/var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/X983539331-953-1.lvgandhi...
03/03/2001 06:04:40 ***Article /var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/X983539331-953-1.lvgandhi
rejected. status = 441: 441 435 Duplicate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
03/03/2001 06:04:40 ***Saving article in /var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/rejects...
03/03/2001 06:04:40 ***Posting of
/var/spool/slrnpull/out.going/X983539331-953-1.lvgandhi failed.
What to do to post with out problem

Linux Programmer's Site