Linux-Misc Digest #272, Volume #27                Sat, 3 Mar 01 00:13:01 EST

Contents:
  shutdown over telnet on redhat ("mosinski")
  Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard (Dances With Crows)
  Re: win calls linux (Dances With Crows)
  Re: adding extensions to many files in a directory (NF Stevens)
  Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard (Hartmann Schaffer)
  Re: shutdown over telnet on redhat (Dances With Crows)
  "Dumb" terminal? (Robert Jones)
  Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition? (F. Heitkamp)
  setuid shell script??? (Daniel Suen)
  Re: Corrupted fonts after viewing binary file (Donald Arseneau)
  Re: Installing windows 2000 (Jack Kaufmann)
  installing kernel 2.4.1 tarball in RH6.2 ("L.V.Gandhi")
  Re: Corrupted fonts after viewing binary file (The Real Bev)
  Re: setuid shell script??? (Matt Haley)
  Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard (Bruce)
  Re: "Dumb" terminal? (David Efflandt)
  Re: Color setting problem!!!! (David Efflandt)
  KSENDFAX
  Re: how to auto start a console app (David Efflandt)
  Re: "Dumb" terminal? (Carl Fink)
  suse 7.0 and kdm ("Wong Ching Kuen Frederick")
  Re: replacing startx with startx -- +xinerama ("g.montgomery")
  Re: Problem of ssh connection (David Efflandt)

From: "mosinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: shutdown over telnet on redhat
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:47:51 -0800

Hello,
I have a redhat server but I can't shut it down over telnet.
Where Can I configure it to allow shutdown over telnet
thanks guys

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Shutdown Linux without a keyboard
Date: 3 Mar 2001 02:01:23 GMT

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:28:08 +0100, Marius staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I have S.u.S.E. Linux installed on a slow machine which I am using as a
>router. I do not need a screen for it but before I switch off power, I
>have to let it shut down of course.
>
>I do not want do do it with a keyboard (Ctrl+Alt+Del) any more (too big)
>
>Does anybody know how to shut a linux machine down over another hardware
>(like just pressing a button on my desk) ? Is there some software that
>recocnizes short circuit on com 1... which then shuts down the machine?

There is something called "jslaunchd" that will allow you to use a
joystick to invoke a certain number of arbitrary shell commands.  It's
part of the jslaunch package and may not be included with your distro,
but you can download it fairly easily.  Only problem is that it requires
a soundcard+joystick!  If you have a couple of spares lying around, this
would be easier than doing some soldering, and might possibly be more
convenient than ssh'ing in.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: win calls linux
Date: 3 Mar 2001 02:01:24 GMT

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:17:46 +0100, Heiko Brüning staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I want to call on my linux-box with a win-box without any provider,
>just with my telephone-number. Which program must I run on my
>linux-box, that my modem answeres the call from my win-box
>automatically and I can log in in this way?

You need a modem (or ISDN terminal adapter) and the "mgetty" program.
Be warned that you will not get "56K" if you're using an analog modem,
for reasons that have to do with Shannon's Law (search groups.google.com
for my name and "Shannon's Law"; I explained this on
comp.os.linux.hardware a month or so back.)  Also, my employer is using
mgetty to provide dialin for some people, and Lose98 has problems with
the setup we're using.  The problem is specific to Lose9x; NT/2K/Linux
connect and go just fine.

The SuSE manual for the Professional edition should contain a chapter on
using mgetty, or you can check http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ .  HTH,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: adding extensions to many files in a directory
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 02:07:42 GMT

Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hello,
>
>is it possible to easily add .zip (in this case) to all the files in a
>directory even when none of the files already have an 'extension' as
>well as some end with numbers and others end with letters?
>
>is there any simple fast way of doing that?

for file in *
do
        mv $file $file.zip
done

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Date: 2 Mar 2001 21:15:41 -0500

and said:
>I have S.u.S.E. Linux installed on a slow machine which I am using as a
>router. I do not need a screen for it but before I switch off power, I
>have to let it shut down of course.
>
>I do not want do do it with a keyboard (Ctrl+Alt+Del) any more (too big)
>
>Does anybody know how to shut a linux machine down over another hardware
>(like just pressing a button on my desk) ? Is there some software that
>recocnizes short circuit on com 1... which then shuts down the machine?

obviously your machine is on a network.  how about shutting it down remotely
(rsh, ssh etc)?

hs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: shutdown over telnet on redhat
Date: 3 Mar 2001 02:16:40 GMT

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:47:51 -0800, mosinski staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>Hello, I have a redhat server but I can't shut it down over telnet.
>Where Can I configure it to allow shutdown over telnet

Disable telnet, use ssh.  telnet is asking for trouble.

That said, ssh into the machine, then su to root, then shutdown -h now.
Or edit /etc/shutdown.allow to include a list of authorized users, and
add the -a option to shutdown.

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Dumb" terminal?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:28:01 -0600

I don't remember what I was trying to do originally earlier today but I
finally tried

$ man man
and was greeted with this cryptic msg:

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
- (press RETURN)

(which seems like a direct descendant of the infamous "kbd not detected
press F1 to continue".  I never did discover the missing functionality
until I tried

$info man
and got a somewhat more informative:

info: Terminal type "dumb" is not smart enough to run Info

Any clues?  I'm running RH6.0.

--
Forms follow function, and often obliterate it.

  8:00pm  up 4 days, 12:30,  2 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.20, 0.07

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F. Heitkamp)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:36:55
Subject: Do I need Lilo to boot from a partition?

I have OS/2 Bootmanager and Lilo installed on
my Linux partition.  I have been unable to get
the latest kernels to boot using the latest lilo.
I always get "No setup signature found".  I
wonder if there is some weird conflict with
my harddisk; a 4.x GB Seagate UW SCSI.  Anyway,
is there a way to boot without Lilo or using
a floppy (which I do now.) or booting to DOS etc.

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Suen)
Subject: setuid shell script???
Date: 3 Mar 2001 03:02:53 GMT

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows why the following happened:-

I have a setuid root bash script that just cat /etc/shadow. However, it
seems that normal users can't use it to get the successful output. What I
am doing is just for test purpose. I have turned on the execution bit
and that I am sure the file is owned by root, but still in vain. What I
thought was that since /bin/bash is invoked in root setuid mode, any file
can be accessed. Also, if cat is forked by /bin/bash, will the effective
UID gets copied as well? I saw in Richard Steven's book that this will be
inherited. If the symptom is not caused by the logic mentioned above, can
anyone get me another explanation on that?

-daniel.

------------------------------

From: Donald Arseneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corrupted fonts after viewing binary file
Date: 02 Mar 2001 19:36:38 -0800

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Simon Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Whist working in a vga bash shell I accidentally "more"d a binary file
> >(I think it was boot.map).  For some reason this caused the screen font
> >for that shell to become corrupted.

> Put this into your ~/.bashrc file:
>
> alias sane='echo -e "\\033c";tput is2;stty sane line 1 rows $LINES columns $COLUMNS'

What has happened is "you" told the terminal to switch to the ansi
"alternate character set", which is for line drawing and other
special things.  The control-N character (^N, 14, octal 016,
SO = shift out) switches to the alternate character set, and
control-O (^O, 15, octal 017, SI = shift in) switches back to
normal, on an ansii-compatible terminal.

It is the "echo <escape>c" in the above that resets the text
because <escape>c is the code for "reset to initial state".
This is a powerful restoration, but it may do too much, like
erasing the scrollback.  Instead you can get back to an
ordinary character set with 'echo -e "\\017"'.

Before doing anything, you should press control-U to erase
any garbage in your input buffer.  Then you can directly type
  echo ^V^O <return>
or use a defined alias
  alias earthling='echo -e "\\017"'
  alias martian='echo -e "\\016"'
and type "earthling".  Finally, you can probably just press
  ^V^O<return>
The shell will helpfully echo the separate characters ^ and O,
but you will get an error message about an undefined command,
and writing a real control-O

(By the way, in the shell, ^V (control-V) means to take the next
character "verbatim".)

Donald Arseneau                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jack Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing windows 2000
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:36:05 GMT

Many thanks.

                Jack

------------------------------

From: "L.V.Gandhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installing kernel 2.4.1 tarball in RH6.2
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 09:09:53 +0530

I got linux kernel 2.4.1 in tarball. Before installing  I thought
I will get some info. I have RH6.2 and kernel 2.2.16-3. What benefits
will be
gained by installing kernel 2.4.1. I have only tarball. Is any thing
more is needed to install over 2.2.16-3 in RH6.2
--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:01:32 -0800

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Simon Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Whist working in a vga bash shell I accidentally "more"d a binary file
> >(I think it was boot.map).  For some reason this caused the screen font
> >for that shell to become corrupted.  I could still type, and the
> >commands were recognised, but the font just showed non-ascii characters.
>
> That is one way to corrupt a terminal, but there are others too!  And
> there are several ways to correct it, as the multiple responses to your
> post all indicate.  However, there are some things you can set up to
> make recovery easier.
>
> Put this into your ~/.bashrc file:
>
> alias sane='echo -e "\\033c";tput is2;stty sane line 1 rows $LINES columns $COLUMNS'
>
> Then you have two options.  You can type "reset", which
> sometimes works,

Sometimes you have to do it twice.  No idea why.

> or you can type "sane" which will always work.
>
> --
> Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
> Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bev

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Haley)
Subject: Re: setuid shell script???
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:08:47 -0700

On 3 Mar 2001 03:02:53 GMT,
 Daniel Suen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Just wondering if anyone knows why the following happened:-
>
>I have a setuid root bash script that just cat /etc/shadow. However, it
>seems that normal users can't use it to get the successful output. What I
>am doing is just for test purpose. I have turned on the execution bit
>and that I am sure the file is owned by root, but still in vain. What I
>thought was that since /bin/bash is invoked in root setuid mode, any file
>can be accessed. Also, if cat is forked by /bin/bash, will the effective
>UID gets copied as well? I saw in Richard Steven's book that this will be
>inherited. If the symptom is not caused by the logic mentioned above, can
>anyone get me another explanation on that?

The kernel doesn't allow setuid scripts, however, you can wrap a call to
the script in a C program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(void)
{
        setuid(0);
        system("/bin/cat /etc/shadow");
        return 0;
}

Matt Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mandrake 7.2 / RedHat 6.1 / Windows 98 SE / FreeBSD 4.2 / Windows NT 4

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce)
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 04:11:08 GMT

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:28:08 +0100, Marius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have S.u.S.E. Linux installed on a slow machine which I am using as a
>router. I do not need a screen for it but before I switch off power, I
>have to let it shut down of course.
>
>I do not want do do it with a keyboard (Ctrl+Alt+Del) any more (too big)
>
>Does anybody know how to shut a linux machine down over another hardware
>(like just pressing a button on my desk) ? Is there some software that
>recocnizes short circuit on com 1... which then shuts down the machine?
>
>Have a nice day!
>Marius

A year ago I setup a Linux based firewall, running IPCHAINs on
Slackware 7.0 on a old IBM Ps/2 model 77, in order to share my
Internet connection with my roomate (thus sharing the bill for the ISP
and saving _ME_ money).  Problem was, I did not want to leave this
beast turned on all the time.   I showed my un-technical roomate how
to turn the computer on... and setup a userID, with a shellscript
based menu so he can turn it off or reboot it if there are problems..

I know this is not exactly a secure solution in the normal world, but
for a personal IPCHAINS and IP MASQ firewall, I think it's still
secure in terms of what I use it for.  I tried more secure and safe
methods, but couldn't make it work and didn't have time to figure it
out and just setup a way that would work.  if anyone can help me with
the first two problems listed below, please drop me a line!

Steps:

I setup a userID for him, and changed the passwd and shadow files
under /etc so his Id was UID 0.  I then setup a script that gave him a
menu, to reset the firewall, reset the IP of the firewall in case it
didn't grab an IP address like it's suppose to (my ISP was very flaky
at the time), reboot the box or shutdown the box.  I typed my script
into his .profile file so it would be automatically displayed when he
connected.  I activated telnet from /etc/inetd.conf since everything
is of course turned off (this is a firewall after all) and setup TCP
Wrappers so only IP addresses of our two PC's could connect
(192.168.x.x).  Then I setup an icon he can use on his desktop
(Windows 98) so he can telnet in, type in his name and Pw, and type in
a number corresponding to the menu option he wanted.

WARNING:  This is insecure for many reasons.  Before anyone flames me
for giving f*cked advice, I'll warn you about the problems with this
that I know of.  Only use my example if you know the risks!

<1>  User has ROOT, UID 0, access - and anyone can connect to the box
remotely as root, in theory.

(I couldn't figure out how to use sudo and/or use sudo in a script,
and/or how to setup linux so any user can run the shutdown command)

<2> The script can be escaped from to a shell by typing "ctrl-c"  ...

(I have almost zero knowledge of writing scripts.  I picked up script
writing from reading the bootup scripts and other linux scripts, and
relying on my past courses on PASCAL.  Therefore, I have no idea how
to setup a script to ignore "ctrl-c").

<3>. I'm using telnet, which is insecure because it passed everything
in clear text.

( I don't think this is that big of a deal because of tcp wrappers and
the rule set of my rc.firewall script.  Also it's very conventient
because I don't have to install anything on my roomates PC.)

Aside from the obvious problems, it did the job, and stopped my
roommate from turning my linux box on and off like it was a TV.  In
the past year I've logged many scans but no successful attacks.  Yes,
it sounds insecure but the nextwork consists of 2 PC's, and my roomate
is beyond clueless when it comes to anything you can't click on.  I
now live alone and still make use of this setup because it just makes
my life so much easier each night when I turn it off.

Unless there is a hole in TCP wrappers, or I've configured my firewall
script wrong, there is no way someone can directly connect to my
firewall unless they're conencted to my hub using the right IP...
even though I've setup telnetd to work, and for root/uid0 to telnet
directly in.  I'f I'm wrong (and I may be, no one's perfect), I'd like
to know in detail why I'm wrong! =)

IMHO, In _MY_ situation, this is safe.  But, I'll always encourage
tips on how to ignore ctrl-c or use a normal account to shutdown linux
(non uid0).

Bruce ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: "Dumb" terminal?
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:11:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:28:01 -0600, Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I don't remember what I was trying to do originally earlier today but I
>finally tried
>
>$ man man
>and was greeted with this cryptic msg:
>
>WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>- (press RETURN)
>
>(which seems like a direct descendant of the infamous "kbd not detected
>press F1 to continue".  I never did discover the missing functionality
>until I tried
>
>$info man
>and got a somewhat more informative:
>
>info: Terminal type "dumb" is not smart enough to run Info
>
>Any clues?  I'm running RH6.0.

See what 'echo $TERM' says and see if you can find whatever changed it
from what it should be (TERM=linux in console or xterm in X).  Have you
messed with anything in your login scripts (~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc, or
whatever applies to your shell of choice)?

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Color setting problem!!!!
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:20:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:52:38 +0800, tertr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am using Redhat6.2 and under tcsh shell,  when I am in text
>mode(level3), the directory and file names can have color highlight.
>However, when I enter xterm inside graphical mode(level5), the color
>highlight disapper and make me a bit inconventient in distinguishing
>between directory and files in browsing. When I change the shell to
>bash, everythings is all right.
>
>Can anyone tell how to set back the xterm to have color highlight on the
>directory and file name in the above cases?

While I have no such problem in Linux, some systems might not recognize
xterm as being color capable.  See if it works any different after you:

export TERM=xterm-color

or in csh maybe:

setenv TERM xterm-color

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KSENDFAX
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 04:30:03 -0000

How do I setup my Mandrake 7.1 to use the fax ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.apps,linux.dev.config,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Subject: Re: how to auto start a console app
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 04:38:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:29:56 -0600, Michael Makuch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a linux box dedicated to playing mp3's. I wrote my own app using perl
>and a number of public domain libraries. It's not an X application. It just
>uses ncurses. I'm running RedHat 7.
>
>I want my app to automatically startup on the console tty1 after bootup. I
>tried adjusting /etc/inittab to run my app instead of mingetty. This appears
>to work at first but there are odd problems that arise in this
>configuration. Since I'm still developing my app I'll make some changes and
>kill the instance on tty1. What happens is that for some reason when the app
>restarts, it redirects stdout to the process from which I killed it. stdin
>is not redirected and in fact at this point the app won't read stdin from
>anywhere I try to key it in. The app basically hangs.
>
>Is there something wrong with trying to run an app this way, via
>/etc/inittab? Perhaps the app needs to behave in some certain way in order
>to run this way?

Take a look at 'man open' (if you have it installed).  You might also need
'chvt' to switch vt after opening that one.  Just don't mess up the gettys
for your vts.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Date: 3 Mar 2001 03:43:36 GMT

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:28:01 -0600 Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>$info man
>and got a somewhat more informative:
>
>info: Terminal type "dumb" is not smart enough to run Info
>
>Any clues?  I'm running RH6.0.

Give more information.  Were you using X?  If so, were you using
xterm, rxvt, or some other terminal program?  Were you, rather,
running in console mode?

What's the output of "set | grep term"?
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suse 7.0 and kdm
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:36:35 +0800

in yast, i cannot set the login manager to kdm, i can only choose xdm. is
there any problem with my installation?! i can enter kde2 and i can find the
binary of kdm. thanks.

------------------------------

From: "g.montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: replacing startx with startx -- +xinerama
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 04:46:39 GMT

Chris Nelson wrote:

<snip>

> P.S. Any idea how I can have the system default to KDE as opposed to
> gnome? Thought I would throw this in as well

<snip>

Try switchdesk -  gives you lots of options - gnome, kde, fvwm, enlightenment,
windowmaker,
and twm.

$ which switchdesk
/usr/bin/switchdesk

I've only used it a couple of times, as I stick to KDE mostly, but it seems to
work.

Gene.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Problem of ssh connection
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 05:00:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have set up an ssh server at home, and I can connect to it in most
>place. However, the machine in my office which connect to internet
>through NAT with internal IP can't connect to it, why? How can I set
>sshd to accept this kind of connection?

It is probably not receiving the connection that is the problem.  The
question is how does your box at work get out to the internet?  Does it
use any sort of proxy (proxies usually just do specific functions
like http and ftp)?  Do they have a firewall that may block port 22?  Can
you web surf your home pc (apache) from at work?

Using ssh out through Linux MASQ does not seem to be a problem.  I just
did that from my laptop using private IP on LAN, through main pc, then ppp
to a unix shell account on the internet.

But I could not do the same from at work, because there we use squid proxy
and the only way I can get out is to telnet to our smtp/pop3/squid server
and then telnet out again from there (I don't think it has ssh).