From: Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is always slow th enext morning, a cry for help!
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 11:23:57 GMT

Manfred Bartz wrote:

> Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Manfred Bartz wrote:
> > > Use qmail, or if you have religous objections to it,then maybe postfix.
> >
> > I have to say, dj doesn't make it easy.  I tried once and was
> > defeated by the interlocking nested dependencies on his other
> > packages.
>
> What is an ``interlocking nested dependency''?

Something really hard to figure out.

> Did you compile from source or use a package?

>From source.

I just downloaded qmail-1.03.tar.gz and followed his instructions
on a Red Hat 6.2 system.
Right off the bat, his instructions produce an error:
  useradd: cannot create directory /var/qmail/alias

Normally, I'd dig in and try to figure out what to do, but
his style is so cr.yp.tic that it's discouraging.  The man
has a serious attitude.

- Dan

------------------------------

From: kj Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ksh pwd - still have problems
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 11:26:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Shai Kedem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm still having problems with pwd in ksh scripts.
>
> both pwd command and $PWD system variable returns different results when
> run from ksh interactive terminal and ksh script.
>
> The run in ksh script activate always /bin/pwd, which resolves symbolic
> link names, while the alias pwd in ksh terminal returns the symbolic
> directory name, which is the result I want.
>
> This is different then Unix, which behaves like the last case on all Unix
> versions and on all platfroms that run Unix !
>
> Anyone has an idea how to force Linux to use its alias pwd rather
> then /bin/pwd when run from a ksh script ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Shai

Hello Shai,

  I believe you want to use "builtin pwd" in your script, rather than
just "pwd".  I think this works in both ksh88 and ksh93.  The "builtin"
command also works for the other shell builtins, of course.

    Cheers,

      ~kj

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO and second master hard-disk
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:42:33 +1100

Dustin Puryear wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:59:54 +1100, Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >map-drive = 0x80
> >            to = 0x82
> >map-drive = 0x82
> >            to = 0x80
> >

> >> the problem is that windows always wants to be the first (primary master)
> >>

> That's odd. Then why can I boot it off the secondary master drive if I disable
> the primary via BIOS? It's still on the IDE1 cable.
>
> Looks like something to try though! Thanks.
>
> Regards, Dustin
>
> --
> Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Integrate Linux Solutions into Your Windows Network
> - http://www.prima-tech.com/integrate-linux

Think a little.
When telling(?) the BIOS to boot from drive which is not the master on primary
controller you are actually writing to it "map drive 'this' as drive 'that'".
Lilo lets you to do it by writing in lilo.conf and rerunning lilo so this
information will be engraved in mbr (on master on primary controller) and the BIOS
will get it from there.
Simplicity itself.

Have fun.
Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:50:20 +1100

Eric wrote:

> > >         map-drive=0x80
> > >         to=0x81
> > >         map-drive=0x81
> > >         to=0x80
> >
> > If you want to give numbers better check.
> > the hex numbering of drives is:
> > Master on primary controller     hda = 0x80
> > Slave on primary controller       hdb = 0x81
> > Master on secondary controller  hdc = 0x82
> > Slave on secondary controller     hdd = 0x83
>
> You're joking, right?
> Numbering is done on order of appearance.

Nope.
Their numbering is affected by connection and setting of master/slave
jumper.

> you will never have 0x82 without 0x81,
> and no guarantee that your BIOS will call hda 0x80.
> If you choose in your BIOS to boot from hdb, chances
> are, that it will be 0x80

Just where do you choose to do the remapping, in BIOS or in lilo.
You can do it in anyone, or you can drive the system crazy by doing it
inconsistently in both.
Computers tend to be simpletons, they follow well defined orders.

> Eric

Stanislaw.

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing files from LINUX using NT Print Services
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 13:14:55 +0100

Jess wriote ...
>I am new to the linux world but I was wondering are there any constraints
>if I wanted to print files from a linux box using NT print Services. Note:
>I have 2 boxes (1 LX and 1 NT for certain reasons). If so what is the best
>solution.

The easiest IMHO is to install TCP/IP print server on your NT-box and print
your documents to that box as remote lpd-print. Observer, though, that NT
does not do anything to the printed output, i.e. you have to do all the
formatting yourself.

  /TRY

comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat,mailing.unix.samba-ntdom
From: Manfred Bartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 12:31:41 GMT

Hi Dan,

> > Did you compile from source or use a package?
>
> From source.
>
> I just downloaded qmail-1.03.tar.gz and followed his instructions
> on a Red Hat 6.2 system.
> Right off the bat, his instructions produce an error:
>   useradd: cannot create directory /var/qmail/alias

Hmm, did you create the necessary qmail user accounts before compiling
the source?  The whole procedure is actually is quite well explained
but without redundancy.  ;)  You really need to make sure you fully
understand each step and then implement it before you go on to the
next step.  First time I did it I had problems too.  :/

> Normally, I'd dig in and try to figure out what to do, but
> his style is so cr.yp.tic that it's discouraging.  The man
> has a serious attitude.

I'd have to agree that DJB is not the easiest personality to get along
with.  However, the software he produces is outstanding.  In the end
it is up to the sysadmin to decide if the quality of the solution
outweighs the issues one might have with the attitudes of the author.

One of the main issues a lot of people have with DJB's software is
where the author mandates it must be located.  Personally, I don't
have an issue with that.  I also believe that the FSH is something
I don't need to religiously follow; well, I actually think the FSH
creates more problems than it solves.

Regards
--
Manfred
ipchainsLogAnalyzer, NetCalc, whois at: <http://logi.cc/linux/>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.misc
Subject: Re: Does JDK 1.3 work with kernel 2.4?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 12:53:36 -0000

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:18:50 GMT, Tom Waterhouse wrote:
>I am getting the following message:
>
>[tomw@linuxserver /]$ java
>/usr/bin/java: /usr/bin/cut: No such file or directory
>/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error while loading shared
>libraries: libjvm.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
>directory
>[tomw@linuxserver /]$ uname -r
>2.4.0-0.99.11
>
>This is with the Fisher release of Redhat 7.  Is this error a Redhat error
>or a Java problem, or am I supposed to set a shared libarary path?

When you get error messages take a close look. First error deals with
the location of cut. I believe it's in /bin so just make a symlink in
/usr/bin and see what happens. Me thinks that not finding cut causes
other things that follow to mess up. /bin/head also.

I think there was a thread about this in um, alt.os.linux.slackware not
too long ago. ``java JDK 1.3'' was part of the subject.
Ooh, time flies, that was back in December.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Dumb" terminal?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 07:04:29 -0600

Robert Jones wrote:

<snip>

> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
> - (press RETURN)

<snip>

> info: Terminal type "dumb" is not smart enough to run Info

<snip>

Thanks to all who replied!  F.Y.I., "set | grep term" showed nothing but
"set | grep TERM" responded with
TERM=dumb. "$ echo $TERM" also showed "dumb".  I have *not* intentionally
been messing around in the login scripts but I'll sure check the
modification dates after I send this.

"export TERM=linux"  took care of the problem and I'll agree that a reboot
would be a Microsloth solution -- and remembering the days when I lurked
on a couple of windows95 groups, there were even a few folks there who
would have not wanted to use fdisk as the first tool.  ;-)

Finally, my apologies for failing to mention that the failure was, in
fact, on a console. Xterms were o.k.

Thanks again!
Robert
--
A penny saved is a penny taxed.

  6:42am  up 4 days, 23:12,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fileutils and large directories
Date: 26 Feb 2001 18:38:59 -0500

I occasionally manipulate archived news spools.  Sometimes the directories
have over 20,000 files in them.  Commands that I regularly use to manage
them like rm, mv and gzip often fail with a "Too many arguments"  error
and I am forced to use smaller batches.  Where is this limit to the number
of arguments coming from and how may I increase the limit?

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.admin,comp.sys.sun.admin
Subject: { seq 1 200| less ;  } | tee foo # pls fix this
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Rodman)
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 14:18:23 GMT

{ less longtextfile ;  : more script would go here ; } | tee foo

# or

{ perl -e 'print "$i\n" while ($i++ <200);' |less ; } |tee foo

The above fails, in that less does not show the it's input a
page at a time.  Is there a clean way to fix this?

thanks

Tom

From: L Tam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A simple question about patching the kernel
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:59:52 +0800

Thanks to all those who replied.

L Tam

------------------------------

From: Arthur Pedyczak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Problems with nvidia drivers - is it just me?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 14:45:09 GMT

Hi all,
I have been having problems with strange memory corruption in 2.4.
series of kernels. Within 48 hours after reboot I would get an odd
Oops or fs corruption which would seem completely unrelated to
video. I tried to figure out the reason. After gathering some
helpful hints from linux-kernel mailing list I started my testing.
1. tested hardware (RAM, HD...) - didn't find any problems.
2. started eliminating modules that are not part of the standard
kernel tree
   - eliminated oss - no change, system still unstable
   - removed NVdriver and started using nv driver that came with
XFree86-4.0.1
     (WOW! all of sudden the box is running for ten days and there's
no corruption!)
   - put NVdriver back, switched to nvdriver form Nvidia - Oops
within 48 hrs.

So, I have no choice but to believe that NVdriver kernel module (or
nvdriver binary) is the culprit. Has anybody seen anything similar,
or is it just me?

Arthur

------------------------------

From: "Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 15:46:09 -0000

I'm a newbie and I have an Athlon 900 on an ABit KT7-RAID.  What is Seti and
can you recommend an easy to use Linux version for me?

I've got 10 years PC experience and I do some programming so I should be
able to follow logic - I've also done some simple SQL on databases that were
held on the unix system at work as well as little bit of Vi.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "J. D. Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.admin,comp.sys.sun.admin
Subject: Re: { seq 1 200| less ;  } | tee foo # pls fix this
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:55:52 +0000

Tom Rodman wrote:

> { less longtextfile ;  : more script would go here ; } | tee foo
>
> # or
>
> { perl -e 'print "$i\n" while ($i++ <200);' |less ; } |tee foo
>
> The above fails, in that less does not show the it's input a
> page at a time.  Is there a clean way to fix this?
>
> thanks
>
> Tom
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Try
 perl -e 'print "$i\n" while ($i++ <200);' | tee foo  |less
--
J. D. Addison
Telephone: 01865-246886

------------------------------

From: "Hallvor Engen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing kernel 2.4.1 tarball in RH6.2
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 17:21:19 +0100

"L.V.Gandhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i melding
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>What benefits will be gained by installing kernel 2.4.1.

What you will gain by using a new kernel depends on what you want to
use it for. Maybe you want better USB support, or better firewall
possibilities? Take a look here for some info on whats new
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-05-007-04-NW-LF-KN.

> I have only tarball. Is any thing more is needed to install over
2.2.16-3 in RH6.2

For a IMHO good guide to kernel compiling look at
http://www.linuxlookup.com/html/guides/kernel.html also look at the
kernel howto http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html.

Yes you will need some updates for other programs. Read the changes
file (in the documentation directory) and be sure that you have (at
least) the version that is required there. I used the rpms from
wolverine for these (you have to use --nodeps on some of them because
you don't have a 2.4.x kernel installed as rpm). I have redhat 7 but I
think they should work on 6.2 also.

Make sure that you keep the old kernel until you know that the new one
works.

Hallvor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Fileutils and large directories
Date: 3 Mar 2001 11:37:44 -0500

In article <g27o6.4366$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I occasionally manipulate archived news spools.  Sometimes the directories
> have over 20,000 files in them.  Commands that I regularly use to manage
> them like rm, mv and gzip often fail with a "Too many arguments"  error
> and I am forced to use smaller batches.  Where is this limit to the number
> of arguments coming from and how may I increase the limit?

Some of these limits are imposed by the kernel.

If you want to run commands on large numbers of files, you should use
the xargs program, which is documented in the fileutils info pages.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 09:40:58 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: http loopback taking 14 minutes

David Efflandt wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Your name lookup is most likely timing out on one DNS server, then going
> >> to the next. The lag is the timeout. You can verify this by using your
> >> numeric/dotted-decimal ip address in place of "www.nowhere.com"...if
> >> dotted-decimal form is fast, then it is your DNS source, whereby the
> >> first one does not know the answer and takes its time getting to the
> >> second source (and then maybe the third). A place to look is
> >> /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/host.conf. Be sure your /etc/hosts file is
> >> searched first before DNS, and that DNS servers are listed correctly.
> >> That way if "www.nowhere.com" is listed in /etc/hosts, it'll be found
> >> instantly.
> >
> >My host.conf looks like this:
> >   order host,bind
> >   multi on
> >
> >My resolv.conf, like this:
> >   domain nowhere.com
> >   nameserver 172.16.0.240
> >   nameserver 172.16.0.241
> >   search nowhere.com nowhere.net
> >
> >and a nslookup returns (very quickly):
> >   # nslookup europa.nowhere.com
> >   Server:  ns1.nowhere.com
> >   Address:  172.16.0.240
> >
> >   Non-authoritative answer:
> >   Name:    europa.nowhere.com
> >   Address:  172.16.0.42
> >
> >   #
> >
> >Anything look wrong...
>
> Yes, there could be confusion with the REAL nowhere.com.  You should use a
> fictional domain for private IPs.  What does 'nslookup 172.16.0.42' return
> (does your reverse lookup work)?

Fictional versus real won't hurt IF the /etc/hosts lists the correct
internal address for a specific machine on that domain name, AND the
hosts file is consulted prior to DNS. In the case of accidentally having
DNS try to look up a non-existent host of a real domain, there would be
considerably less than a 14 minute wait for DNS to say it doesn't exist
(unless network conditions were bad). DNS failure (a DNS failing to
respond), versus successful lookup saying the host is non-existent, can
take quite a long time. One other interesting possibility is for
/etc/hosts to be set up correctly for an internal host name, but having
routing incorrectly try to route through the outside world to get to an
internal interface.

------------------------------

From: "Terry Denbo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kernel Panic, or hang off boot disk...
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 08:59:23 -0800

I had to replace my SCSI card, unfortunately it was with a different brand.
When booting up, I get a kernel panic, because it's loading the wrong
drivers.  I try booting off a boot disk, type "linux single", but it get's
to a certian point and hangs at this point:

change_root: old root has d_count=1
Trying to unmount old root ... okay
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed

Will not go past this point.  Please help!  It's dead in the water until
this is fixed!!

Terry